Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLM11
Topic Author

Maldives -- Spotting In "The Last Paradise"

Sat Mar 20, 2004 12:56 pm

For my whole life, I have been fascinated with the Maldives Islands, located in the Indian Ocean. I have noticed that Male, Maldives Int'l Airport makes for some AMAZING photography. Im just curious if anyone here has been to Maldives, and if so what was the airport like, and even if you hav'nt been there it sure looks awesome beeing on the equator. Thanks Everyone!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ivan Rodriguez - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

View Large View Medium

Photo © Chris Thompson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rotate

--KLM11

BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

KLM11
Topic Author

RE: Maldives -- Spotting In "The Last Paradise"

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:34 pm

Anyone .......... Anyone ..........

kruz1

Sat Mar 20, 2004 1:47 pm

I loved it! It took awhile to get there from the states. no beer as it is for the religion practice. A muslim island. Tim

airtropolis

Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:05 pm

The company I work was the architect of the Huhule International Hotel which is located on the same island as the airport and we had to go there last year for work. Flew by SQ both ways from Singapore and both inbound and outbound flights were at night. Approaching Male at night is quite interesting as you can catch glimpses of the resort huts lit up at night. There is no taxiway and planes have to do a U-turn at the ends of the runway. Caught quite a few Emirates and Sri Lankan flights, as well as Qatar airways, whose crew satyed at the same hotel on the island. Quite a nice efficiently run airport, with what I heard was rather cheap duty free wine. I was quite surprised that the outbound flight to Singapore was full on a 777 compared to the rather empty A310 on the way to Male.

SV777KiloAlpha

Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:58 pm

I have been to the Maldives twice in the past three years. No words can this great country. I can only say that it is the best holiday destination in the world.

I flew there on Emirates (A330 and 777-200). The flight is almost 4 hours from DXB. Male airport is small but all flights arrivals and departures are planed very well in order to minimize terminal and apron congestion. Usually, all arriving flights come in the early morning up till 1000. Departure are mainly during the noon and night.

During my two trips down there, most airlines use A330s, A340s, A320s, B777. In my last trip, when we arrived on board EK B777, 2 other A330s (one was EK) and one B767 Condor. The best part of the trip was when we had to cross the runway by bus to get to the Seaplane terminal. We had to hold short for a departing EK B777 (our airplane) to Colombo.

Big grin
HZ-AKA
PPL since 2006

PIA747

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:08 pm

I flew to Male 5 years back on a PIA A300B4. Witnessed the landing and takeoff from the flight deck, excellent example of a cross wind landing.

I had this chilled coconut juice drink at the airport. Cant seem to get the taste out of my head.

NeptunesCar

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:17 pm

Im working there now, on a resort within 3 kilometers of the airport, its easy to spot planes here; lots of airbus jets (330's) from the major european charter companies come in during the day, scheduled (SQ, EK, UL, MH) at night. your weekly schedule revolves around the flights (monarch on Sundays, Eurofly on Tuesdays, SQ, EK, UL etc spread throughout the week) its not a very busy airport, not much more than 1 to 2 jets on the runway at any one time, but you can spot the planes best if you take the free shuttle to the TMA and MAT (Trans Maldivian Airways/Maldivian Air Taxi) departure areas on the lagoon side of the island.... there are lots of MAT/TMA floatplanes buzzing overhead our island all day long, and they often fly by very low....it is really cool though when you can see a large passenger jet literally 1-2 meters above the water taxiing to the runway, for takeoff, and you see the jet 'floating' on an aircraft carrier-like airport island... and if you are lucky, when you take a speedboat transfer back to the island, you wil be underneath a jet as it lifts off.... really cool!

its an amazingly beautiful place, best seen from the air, too bad you if you come in on SQ at night! but there are seaplane trips daily. it isnt the easiest place to work though, and lots of people cant stand it, because of the isolation, no bars in Male, (except at the airport hotel) and hardly any shopping, nightlife, but if you are a diver, like me, and you are lucky to get diving free in your contract, its paradise.... you see mantas, whale sharks, dolphins, stingrays, and more on every dive....
You call it the world, we call it home. Pan Am.

KLM11
Topic Author

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:26 pm

Thats Awesome that we have someone from Maldives on this Forum.  Smile

NeptunesCar

Sat Mar 20, 2004 3:49 pm

actually, I am not from the maldives, I only work there!

kilavoud

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:30 pm

http://www.airports.com.mv/flight.htm

I have checked the International Flight Schedule of Maldive Airports Company Ltd from Monday to Sunday for Male Airport and could not see under A/C Type a single 747.

I would like to know if Male Airport can afford the landings
and takeoffs of 747 .

Thanks. Kilavoud.

Unique

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:42 pm

With some advanced preparation, you can even get ramp access. Otherwise it's not good for photography!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rolf Wallner
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rolf Wallner

NeptunesCar

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:43 pm

SQ used to fly 747's into MLE, via BAH or DXB, try searching the database because there are some photos of the islands taken from the plane. as long as I have been here I have yet to see a single 747, during the day or night. the largest is the Tuesday flight from MXP/ROM with their infrequent MD11 (eurofly) its usually a 767 or 330.....and 5 times a week 777 (SQ). 330's are the most common plane here. you see alot of charter planes that even I have never heard of (Mytravel, Edelweiss, etc).

the airport island used to be a cemetary, and was cleared for airport development in the late 60/s early 70's. it has reclaimed alot of sea to fit their long runway. the airport is connected to the Hulhule Male island, a project to ease the population pressure on overcrowded Male, and the Club Med island to the north will be used as the future transit hotel, if current plans are put in place. depending on where you want to get in the maldives, you can only get to male by a dhoni transfer, which leave every 10 minutes and cost $1USD.

aa61hvy

Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:52 pm

I was looking on AA.com out of curiousity to fly to MLE from DFW. The most convienent route is DFW-LGW-DXB-MLE.. Then return MLE-AA), Japan">NRT-DFW... Thats a trek cross the globe.. I do want to go there though...
Go big or go home

netdhaka

Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:05 pm

For my whole life, I have been fascinated with the Maldives Islands

If you are fascinated with Maldives your whole life, then why don't you visit the islands? I think it will be fun, even though I never visited but wish to visit someday. Smile/happy/getting dizzy

aa61hvy

Sat Mar 20, 2004 5:09 pm

The only dishearting thing it seems about this place is activities... What would a tourist do? I've scuba dived alot, after a while it all looks the same.
Go big or go home

SV777KiloAlpha

Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:27 pm

Most people go to the Maldives to RELAX!
Yes it is considered one of the top diving destinations in the world, but the atmosphere is more of a relaxing one. Night life is limited to a romantic dinner under the moon light. Some resorts might have a night club.
It is advisable that you go there with your partner. Singles get bored the next day.

Big grin
HZ-AKA

[Edited 2004-03-20 12:56:56]
PPL since 2006

scbriml

Sat Mar 20, 2004 8:32 pm

Most people go to the Maldives to RELAX!

Yes, my wife and I are off there next year for two weeks of mega chill time Big grin We told the 'kids' they'd be bored stupid, and that we'd send them somewhere else (they're 18 & 21).
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Ex_SQer

Sat Mar 20, 2004 9:13 pm

SQ used to fly 747's into MLE, via BAH or DXB,

Actually up till 1991/92, MLE was a stopover en route to Europe for SQ, and it was linked to many destinations. The only constant was ZRH, other shorter lived linked links included BAH, AUH, DXB, FCO, CDG, BRU, SXF, VIE and CPH.

NeptunesCar

Mon Mar 22, 2004 12:29 pm

theres lots to do here in the maldives.... its more water sports though, nightlife is limited to bands from Male that fly to the islands to do gigs.... cant complain though, i get free scuba diving, and yesterday we went diving and had 10 manta rays (4 meters across) circling around us.... the diving is spectacular for fish species, but the coral can be not so good. definitely get here but bring as much $$$ as you can, its NOT cheap.

[email protected]

Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:10 pm

I was in MLE for about 1 hour last November, having just arrived from LHR and before departing for CMB (UL 343; 10 hours 20 mins. from LHR, about 1 hour from CMB). It appeared to be a small airport, but nevertheless very beautifully and brilliantly located. I especially enjoyed the IL-62, Yak 40 and IL-96 parked close to one another.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos