Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ckfred
Topic Author

Have You Flown With A Famous Person?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:40 pm

Last Friday, March 19th, I was flying AA374 from ORD to LGA. While sitting at the gate, I saw Hans Blix, the former head weapons inspector for the UN, go zipping by on a VIP cart.

While waiting in the baggage claim at LGA for my suitcase, I noticed that Hans Blix was also waiting for luggage from the Chicago flight.

I assume that he must have boarded shortly before the door was closed, and he flew first class. I didn't see him sitting in first class when I boarded, and I didn't see him sitting in the front part of the coach cabin.

Has anyone flown with famous person, actor, athlete, politician, business mogul, author, etc.?

ozzie

RE: Have You Flown With A Famous Person?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:42 pm

I have not, but my music teacher flew alongside Herb Kelleher.

[Edited 2004-03-23 05:50:24]

ArmitageShanks

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:17 pm

I flew between Brussels and Rome on Alitalia this summer with the tennis player Jennifer Capriati.

[Edited 2004-03-23 06:21:26]

cbphoto

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:18 pm

My cousin flew right next to Carmen Electra. the funny part was he didn't even know it was her......Poor boy!!!

freshlove1

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:21 pm

yes I flew with Donnie Osmond from PIT-RDG on a US Beech 1900D He said he was in town to do a speech on internal motivation or something like that. He told all the pax on the plane that he would send them tickets to "Pyramid" if they wrote down their address and gave it to him. I didn't cause I hate that show but some of the people did. He was really cool throughout the whole flight.

UnitedFlyer

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:23 pm

I don't know of this counts but I flew with 'Mr. Clean' from BOS to YHZ on Air Nova.

N754PR

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:26 pm

Only cx flyboy for me  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

flyingdoctorwu

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:43 pm

Sugar Ray Leonard flew regularly into FLO because that's where he's from (well he's from Mullins, SC but FLO is the closest airport). I have flown with him CLT-FLO on a US DASH-8. Pretty cool to see him waiting at the gate (at the old D terminal)

Christopher Wu

HNLFlyBoy

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:45 pm

Back in the 80's, I flew HNL-SFO with the Queen of Tonga and a small entourage. Of course, it was in F, on a three-class UA 747. Yes, UA once flew three-classes between HNL and the West Coast. I think it was just one of the flights a day between LAX-HNL and return as well as SFO-HNL and return. I even remember UA doing SFO-KOA with a 3-class 747. The HNL-SFO flight was a continuation that came up from SYD. Oh, those were the days!

fuffla

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:48 pm

I have not flown with these people but I have been waiting at the gates for someone else and they have disembarked before they arrived.

Paul Hogan arrived in SYD from OOL with his wife. (sat in front of my grandparents)

For those from Australia:
Cornelious Frances (excuse the spelling) sat in the terminal.

NWFltAttendant

Tue Mar 23, 2004 2:58 pm

Well i have a few....

Lou Ferrigno (The Hulk)...
Flying MEM-VPS (fort walton beach) sitting in F on a DC9, wouldnt turn off his portable DVD player...had to ask him a few times.

Harmon Killebrew (very famous early baseball player)
Flying PHX-MSP on a DC10 in F.

Many famous worldwide olympians
Flying a special 757 SLC-MSP flight immediately after the olympics. NW doesnt usually do 757s to SLC.

Panther

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:09 pm

I have had two which I can remember...

I flew Method Man from Miami to Key West, I guess for the MTV Spring Break shows. I also flew Gov. Jesse Ventura from Havana, Cuba to Miami, that was really cool...what a nice guy.

QIguy24

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:27 pm

I also flew Gov. Jesse Ventura from Havana, Cuba to Miami, that was really cool...what a nice guy.

I didn't think it was legal for an american to fly directly to Cuba from the US..
Have there been new rules on that lately that I don't know of?

Back to topic
I have been flying with the danish actor Nicolai Coster Waldau. He was an actor in Black Hawk Down.

alphascan

Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:27 pm

Back in the early '90s, when my employer sprung for first class airfare (Damn I miss those days), I flew several times on the NW 7pm 757 MSP/LAX flight. Almost everytime, Prince sat in seat 1A with a huge bodyguard sitting next to him in 1B. It was always fun to deplane right after him and watch the people in the terminal recognize him. Many would actually scream as he scurried from gate to waiting Limo. However, at MSP I'm almost positive that he never boarded via the gate area. I think he was driven directly to the aircraft and used the jetway stairs.

I've also flown on the same plane as Senate Minority Leader Daschel (was flying coach) and Senator Orrin Hatch (First).

airxliban

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:20 pm

Two weeks ago:

AA 276 LAX-MIA 738 on 11th of March, 2004

Jessica Simpson seated in the last row of first class.

Another time ran into Alex Ferguson transferring from Heathrow T1 to T4.

lan707

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:24 pm

I flew once on the same flight with Michael Schuhmacher (Formula 1).
It was SQ SIN-FRA in 1995, he came back from Melbourne at that time.
The difference he flew 1st Class and I sat in the back Y/CL.

And now he flies his own Biz-Jet.

Cheers

Goldentail

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:31 pm

Actor Paul Lynde.....a.k.a. "Rowan & Martins Laugh-In" & "Hollywood Squares."

sfoff

Tue Mar 23, 2004 5:35 pm

I've flown from BUR to SFO with Tracy Chapman sitting behind me.

My friends and I were flying ORD to LAS with Ben Vereen. He was nice enough to pose for a photograph.

sobelair

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:06 pm

Hi

I flew on couple of occassions on the route Split-Zagreb, with the earliest morning flight (usually 7am) and it used to happen that I was sitting next to the "Croatian " celebrity. So I got a seat next to Petar Graso, Dino Dvornik, once a row next to me was Nina Badric.

Though I must add this isn't so exciting as these people are to be seen in the streets of Split or Zagreb quite often. Still, flying with a celebrity onboard, right!?  Wink/being sarcastic  Wink/being sarcastic  Wink/being sarcastic

pera

Tue Mar 23, 2004 6:13 pm

I met Per Gessle in the domestic terminal @ ARN!

PA120

Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:56 pm

2 or 3 years ago I flew Lufthansa Cityline from CPH-MUC on a CRJ200 and saw Andy Garcia in business. I believe he made a connection to Nice as he had just been in a movie released for the Cannes Film Fesival... Goodlooking and had very very short hair...!!

chris78cpr

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:05 pm

Only Uk guys will know this guy!

I flew LGW-NIce last July and was seated next to the news reader Trevor McDonald!!! He was a real nice guy!!!!

To all the rest of you, according to my mom, when i was very young i flew LGW-MCO on VS and Rowan Accinson (I cant spell) was on the flight!!! I dont remember as i was only 7 or 8, but it's cool anyway!

Chris

canoecarrier

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:10 pm

Closest I've got to actually flying with a famous person was SEA-NYC with Howard Sterns daughter. We sat next to each other, she and I talked the whole flight, I had no idea who she was, except I knew she lived an above average college student life, by her conversation. I asked her what her parents did, all she said was dad was in "entertainment". Not that I cared at the time, but later she told me her dad was HS, and she showed me an autographed copy of his book made out to her. His hair, thank God not his nose! Really nice person.

Worked many flights with famous people though: Gorby, Clinton, Wayne Newton, Hillary, Beach Boys, Rolling Stones, Van Halen, 50 cent, Ashcroft, Perot, George Brett (KC Royals), Hillary Swank. I need to keep away from the airport this list could go on a while.

bazzaldonbond

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:12 pm

Flew on a flight from eggl-eidw with Robbie Keane (irish international soccer player)about 3 rows behind me and stood about 5mtrs from him at baggage claim

FedExIndy

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:21 pm

Over Labor Day weekend, 2000, Jered the Subway guy was on an Ambassidair (ATA's vacation club) day trip from IND to Atlantic City. He sat right in front of me.

chupame

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:37 pm

My mom was on a flight from TPE - JFK and they told her in the lounge that the plane was going to depart 20 minutes late. When she asked why, she was told that they were waiting for VP Cheney. An "unofficial" trip to Taiwan of course. My mom wasn't able to see him during the flight since she was flying business. The flight stops in Anchorage and she said that people were applauding when he was getting onboard again.

[Edited 2004-03-23 12:41:36]

9V-SPF

Tue Mar 23, 2004 8:51 pm

I sat five rows behind former german foreign minister Klaus Kinkel on a LH 737-500 in September 2000 flying from FRA to LEJ.

hugojimenez

Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:57 pm

Some years ago, just behind Arnoldo Aleman (former Nicaraguan president), now in jail for corruption charges :I)

Skyguy

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:00 pm

Saw Pat Cash the tennis player at FRA waiting to board a LH flight.

Renee Zellweger was on my BA flight from LHR-JFK, she sat in F but I saw her at the baggage carousel waiting to pick up her bags, she's shorter than I thought but looked very ordinary and like any other normal person.

Slash, the guitatrist from Guns n' Roses was on my AA flight on 9/2/01 LAX-JFK, he was coming to perform for that Michael Jackson tribute concert that was filmed just before 9/11.

Saw that little brat, Aaron Carter, at LHR T1, he had come on my flight from FCO, very badly behaved, had one of those scooters which he kept going all over the place and onto the moving walkways and generally being obnoxious, think he was just trying to attract attention to himself.

OD720

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:10 pm

Back in 1993, I flew Yerevan-Beirut with the Armenian Head of Parliament or the Speaker Of The House. It was an Armenian Airlines Tu-154.

On another occasion in 1997, I was in the US Ambassador's car with Ambassador Peter Thompson from Armenia to Georgia for a soft ball game there.

I have also played basketball against the Armenian President's team. That was the most exciting of all since he had the Foreign Minister, few MPs and the President of teh autonomous Rebublic of Nagorno-Karabagh.

The last two are not related to aviation but thought they are worth mentioning.

Stretch 8

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:31 pm

In June, 1991, I sat next to former U.S. Vice-President Walter Mondale in F on a flight from MSP to DCA. He was quite charming and witty. We talked politics.

phl27rphotog

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:38 pm

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar ORD-ATL on UA 733
golfer Gary McCord ATL-PHL on DL 752
singer Bobby Rydell ATL-PHL on DL 722
former Phila. Eagles football coach Buddy Ryan PHL-PIT on US 733

jayhup

Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:50 pm

I've been on quite a few flights with famous people.

Matt Lauer and Nick Boliteri (tennis coach) on Concorde. My mother embarrassed the heck out of me when she saw Matt Lauer walk down the aisle.

I've sat next to Elizabeth Perkins on a JFK-LAX.

In the same F cabin as Paul Tagliabue (NFL Comish) on a LAX-JFK.

Rod Gilbert (NHL hockey player) on an LGA-YYZ.

Tony Bennett on an LGA-MIA.

Ice T on a BOS-LGA.

LL Cool J on a JFK-FRA.

Dick Clark on a LAX-JFK (when I was like 10 years old...I still have his autograph somewhere!).

Edward Norton on an LAX-JFK.

Leslie Stahl on a JFK-SFO.

Natasha Lyonne and the guy who was the crazy roommate on Friends on an LAX-JFK.

Liam Neeson on an LL), United Kingdom">LHR-JFK which was this past January.

I think there's a bunch I've forgotten...

JH

Sabena332

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:13 pm

In June 2000, I flew with the actress Patricia Richardson from LAX to CDG, she was in First and I was in Economy Class (I saw her at the gate during boarding).

In July 2002, I saw Jürgen Domian (a German radio and tv talkmaster) on my flight from DUS to TXL on DI, he sat in row no. 1.

A few years ago, I saw James Brown in a bar in Terminal A at DUS airport, later I saw that he boarded a flight to MUC while I was boarding my flight to FRA.

My parents flew on Lauda Air from MUC to MIA a few years ago and the captain was Niki Lauda himself, unfortunately I had to stay at home because I had to go to school  Sad.

Patrick

nycfuturepilot

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:32 pm

On Jetblue's first flight (it was actually the second but this is the one that got all the publicity) to BTV I sat in front of senator jim jefferts. It was really funny because some 16 yr old girl sitting across the aisle from him yelled "dude the senator is drinking beer!" when he ordered it. It was his birthday so we sang happy birthday to him. The congressman from vermont was also there but i dont remember his name.

My friends mother was has had two flights with kareem abdul jabbar.

DC9

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:42 pm

Eddie Skoller ARN-CPH
Hans Blix LHR-ARN
Kajsa Bergkvist ARN-NCE
The Roxette members ARN-LLA

VC745D

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:43 pm

With a few exceptions, the names mentioned above seem to prove that the most famous don't fly commercially.... That said, the only "famous" person I can remember flying with fits right in with them--Robin Leach, on an AA flight JFK-ANU in the '90s. I was behind him in F--true to form he seemed to enjoy calling attention to himself. What a voice. Almost killed the value of my upgrade.

rg828

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:50 pm

Jennifer Beals!
Last December b/w YVR and LAX she sat beside me, she was with her boyfriend. I kept staring at her because she looked very familiar, but I just could'nt figure out what she could be doing in Vancouver. She kept staring too, unsure as to whether she had been identified. We did'nt talk, she was all cuddly with her man.
She is singularly attractive, so fine.....

herbie99

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:53 pm

On a flight between CVG-DFW, I sat next to Henry Heimlich. At least if I had choked on the inflight meal, I would have been ok.

Hodges

Have You Flown With A Famous Person?

Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:59 pm

The first time I flew alone, I was on the USAIR shuttle and , my congressmen, Chuck Schumer, got off right after me. Also when I was a baby, on a NW flight from DTW to MSP I sat near Tom Brokaw according to my mother. The USAIR shuttle form LGA to DCA is great for seeing famous media people and politicians. My dad flies that route a lot and has seen people like Diane Sawyer.

Regards,

Erik

navega

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:12 am

Yes many and here is the list and my comments on their behaviour or
oddities if any.

1. Diana Ross on MX from JFK to MX), Mexico">MEX - Nasty, Nasty lady.

2. Mandela on CO from EWR to LAX - Down to earth and a gentleman

3. Julio Iglesias - SJU to SDQ - Nice

4. Julie Andrews - EWR to LAX on CO - Great and wonderful person

5. Michael Cane - DUB to PAR on EI - very friendly with passengers

6. George Clooney - EWR to CUN on MX - very friendly with passengers

7. Placido Domingo - JFK to MAD on IB - very friendly

Just some and their are many more but I have no time now.

TransIsland

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:17 am

On the same plane, yes, often. But I doubt they noticed me  Big grin

csavel

Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:12 pm

Flew FLL to EWR after visiting mom and Steve van Zant of Sopranos fame was in FC. "Everybody" stopped to talk as they walked back to take their seats, and he was very gracious.

My brother flew from FLL to JFK on Delta about ten years ago and Keith Richards and wife was in First Class (Would have figured he would fly on his own jet.) What struck him was that there was a delay and he hung around the gate, didn't go into a special VIP room or anything. When the plane landed in Kennedy and my brother was deplaning, he literally ran into Keith RIchards running back into the plane. "Sorry, mate, I forgot me guitar." was the reply. As bro' is a big Stones fan, he was thrilled.

pmk

Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:56 pm

Well I have flown and fly with many famous people, but usually in a private plane. I can't mention many of them but I will mention one. The recently late Joe Viterelli, he was a actor who played mobsters, co-starred in Analyze This and Analyze That. He played Jelly, the big mobster who looked after DeNero.

Peter

Aeroflot777

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:05 pm

Well I wasn't exactly in the plane together with him but..... I was in Phoenix, waiting for my plane to arrive, when all of a sudden I see a big mob, I look closer and I see "Mini me" riding in a wheelchair to the gate, it was really cool, something I wont forget. I found it interesting he didn't have his own airplane. By the way my mom was amazed too.

dukebluedevil

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:07 pm

Pierce Brosnan ATL-CDG AF
Prince Hashim of Jordan AMM-BA), Turkey">IST (RJ), BA), Turkey">IST-AMM (TK)
Vin Diesel LAX-LHR (BA)
The Hanson Brothers OKC-DFW (AA)

Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:58 pm

1. Few months ago. Nicole "just call me Nikkie" Kidman.

Nice to talk too as well as look at. (Talk about an upgrade.)

2. 4 years ago, Def Leppard on a DL flight from JFK to LAX. I was a non rev at the time. They were connecting from Ireland. (If you're my age this is very cool)

ZASpringboks

Wed Mar 24, 2004 3:40 pm

Yep! My wife and I sat directly in front of two fleeing bank robbers on a flight from PIA to ATL on DL Connection a few weeks ago. The Bonny and Clyde couple were loud, obnoxious, flashy, and rude. The FBI paid us a visit a few days after our trip looking for information. They were both caught a day later.

My friend flew with "Rev." Jesse Jackson on some flight out west. He said Jackson did not give anyone on the aircraft the time of day. However he got up out of his seat and greeted the few black passengers on the aircraft and would not even look the white crew members in the eye when they came to serve him....Interesting observation.

The same friend also flew SAA from JFK to JNB with Nelson Mandela onboard! Nelson apparently conversed with EVERY passenger onboard the 747. My friend said a he got an overwhelming sense of peace and warmth knowing "Madiba" was there. He admitted that he became very emotional when he saw him.

[Edited 2004-03-24 08:20:52]

scotron11

Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:54 pm

Kevin Kline JFK-LHR BA
Edward Heath (Former British PM) LHR-JFK BA
Rudolf Nuryeve (spelling sucks) LHR-JFK BA

NeptunesCar

Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:40 pm

Ran into Ringo Starr and Barbara Bach in Clipper Club in SFO in 1989 waiting for JFK flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos