sebwhite
Topic Author

Airtran Starts Moline-Las Vegas

Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:39 am

AirTran Airways Announces Non-Stop Service Between Moline/Quad Cities and Las Vegas
Thursday March 25, 4:30 pm ET
Non-stop Service Begins June 17, 2004

ORLANDO, Fla.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--March 25, 2004--AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE:AAI - News), today announced the airline will add nonstop service from Quad City International Airport to Las Vegas McCarran International Airport. The new flights will begin June 17, 2004.
"We are thrilled to add another exciting destination to our Moline/Quad Cities destination portfolio," said AirTran Airways manager of public relations Judy Graham-Weaver at a press conference to unveil the new destination today. "We expect this market will be as enthusiastically embraced by our valued Moline customers as our current service to Atlanta and Orlando."

"I am very pleased that AirTran Airways has made a commitment to our region with this announcement of non-stop service to Las Vegas," said Bruce Carter, AAE, Director of Aviation at Quad City International Airport. "Las Vegas is consistently one of our top-five destinations from the Quad City International Airport, and travelers from Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois will benefit from this improved service. Las Vegas is popular year-round, and easy access will make the flights very successful."

Listed below are the new nonstop flights beginning June 17, 2004:

Moline/Quad Cities - Las Vegas

Departs Arrives Frequency
----------------------------------------------------------------------
10:30 p.m. 12:05 a.m. Thursday through Monday

Las Vegas - Moline/Quad Cities

Departs Arrives Frequency
12:55 a.m. 6:10 a.m. Friday through Tuesday(i)
(i) Denotes first flight June 18, 2004.

sebwhite
Topic Author

RE: Airtran Starts Moline-Las Vegas

Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:41 am

I don't think anyone predicted this route!

quickmover

Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:42 am

WHAT!??

Is this with 717s?

flashmeister

Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:43 am

I guess that this is a way to keep an aircraft flying overnight, but it sure seems like a strange route to me... if there was even a little money in it, wouldn't America West have had at least regional service on it?

AirT85

Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:53 am

Perhaps its to keep Allegiant out of one of AirTran's markets? I know AirTran has never been convenient for going west from a city like Moline, but-maybe they've got plans...lots of new LAS services lately. Anyways-good news for AirTran and Moline.

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

SegmentKing

Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:55 am

United has cut back the # of flights to Denver from both Peoria & Moline, so this is a good move for FL as they'll have the opportunity to get ** some ** connecting traffic on board those flights, in addition to the local O/D traffic. I'm just wondering why they didn't do this out of Bloomington first, as you have about 650,000 people within an hours' drive (Bloomington/Normal, Peoria/Pekin, Springfield, Champaign/Urbana, & Decatur).

-n

[Edited 2004-03-25 23:04:10]
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

quickmover

Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:02 am

I don't know the exact miles but this has to be a stretch for a 717. Agree about the connections, this will provide another way for an ATL passenger to 1 stop to Vegas.

FATFlyer

Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:08 am

Interesting. I know Allegiant has been seeing good loads out of Peoria. I also had heard that Allegiant had spoken with BMI and I had heard a rumor G4 also spoke with Rockford. So while MLI is a good AirTran city, there may also be some territory claiming going on.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

rumorboy

Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:26 am

MCO-MSP=1138nm
FNT-FLL=1027nm
ATL-DEN=1042nm
MLI-LAS=1195nm

About 57 miles longer. That is stretching the legs of the 717!. Although the press release doesn't specify.

SegmentKing

Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:15 am

Also take into consideration that the MLI-LAS flight will never be 100% full..

-nate

aaway

Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:25 am

I truly thought that G4's strategy - low frequency, no frills flying to "smallish" midsize 'burbs - would allow them to fly 'under the radar' for quite awhile longer.
Well there goes central and northern Illinois.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard

flyguy1

Fri Mar 26, 2004 9:26 am

What other cities do FL currently serve from Moline?
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

srbmod

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:40 am

The 717-200BGW (which is what AirTran has) with 106 pax has a 1375 nm range.

The only other MLI service by AirTran other than ATL is a Saturday-only flight to MCO.

BR715-A1-30

Fri Mar 26, 2004 10:51 am

AWESOME, BTW -- AirTran has converted some of their 717s to BR715-C1-30 which give it a bit more range, and better performance from Hot and High conditions (DEN).
Puhdiddle

BR715MECH

Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:00 am

Airtran did convert some of there 717's to the 715-C1-30 engine. I believe they are ship #'s 735-740(don't know the N numbers right now) But this is just higher thrust ratings. I think the range numbers are the same as the rest of the fleet.

[Edited 2004-03-26 03:05:32]

[Edited 2004-03-26 03:07:27]

quickmover

Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:03 am

Are you sure that the MLI-MCO hasn't been switched to daily?

SegmentKing

Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:15 am

that was Bloomington that was given daily service...

quickmover

Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:30 am

Maybe this is just wishful thinking and I know that LUV is goliath compared to AAI, but Airtran had 4 gates available at PHL. I wonder if they had expanded there more agressively, would that have prevented the LUV expansion? As time goes on, I think we will see alot more of LCC vs LCC. No offense, but taking out USAir is going to be like stealing candy from a baby. They are on the ropes and hubbed in some of the most attractive yield cities in the country.

747firstclass

Fri Mar 26, 2004 11:34 am

I see a possible hitch on the horizon for this new service. When Allegiant started PIA-LAs service, it was red eye service from LAS-PIA. A large number of people complained as they just werent used to red eye service in those parts. The schedule will soon be changed to and from PIA amd it will not be red eye. So it will be interesting to see how this red eye service flies.

Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:18 pm

"if there was even a little money in it, wouldn't America West have had at least regional service on it?"

At one point HP did serve Moline from PHX but this was pre-bankruptcy.

It does seem to me to be an odd route for FL to fly but if they think there is money in it more power to them.

quickmover

Fri Mar 26, 2004 12:40 pm

I like the Idea of using these jets when they would otherwise be parked. If the crews are available, I think there are several cities in the system that could take advantage of this same strategy, maybe to MCO.

As a side note. Isn't it amazing how popular LAS is becoming in the FL system? Now nonstops from ATL, DFW, and MLI. Granted the flights only number at 5, but when have you ever seen a city only in the system for 6-8 mos. have 3 destinations? I'm betting more destinations are in the mix after the longer range jets arrive.

Midway2AirTran

Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:01 pm

I trust management has good reasonings for MLI-LAS. Probably a part of the new "point to point" efforts for this year. Good sign that the B717's are either proving themselves to be able to substain such markets with mainline service or management is truely confident in them.
"Life is short, but your delay in ATL is not."

wedgetail737

Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:26 pm

It kind of sounds like they are experimenting with G4's strategy, since Air Tran also has a vacation booker. If MLI-LAS works out, I would bet on more in the future.

JayDavis

Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:54 am

Actually,

Our planes hold 117 people. 12 in Business/105 in Coach.

Jay

jmhLUV2fly

Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:43 am

There is actually only one direct flight a day starting 17jun between
Moline and Las Vegas...flt.390 departing at 2230 and arriving at 0005.
I get this info by looking at the flight speed rezervation system...Im pretty suprised we chose this direct route...I would think we would have chosen direct MCO to LAS first but who knows what is in upper managements plans.
JMH

JayDavis

Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:51 am

JmhLUV2fly,

I doubt the B-717 can make it to LAS. If it can't make it there from ATL, I seriously doubt it would be able to from MCO. Think about it......

jmhLUV2fly

Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:10 am

JayDavis,
The 717 is indeed the type airplane they plan to use on this route as the seat map for the aircraft is programmed into the rezervation system.
I was not trying to suggest at all that AirTran would use the 717 on a direct route MCO to LAS but rather that I would think that AirTran would choose to fly a route with a better chance to fill up the flight then say MLI/LAS
By mid summer we will have a couple 737's in our fleet and this along with the A320's until we end the contract with Ryan around October or so would be the aircraft we would use on a MCO-LAS route...that goes without saying....
JMH

JayDavis

Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:06 am

JmhLUV2fly,

We are getting rid of the A-320's ASAP!! As soon as we can get some of our 737's up and running Ryan is bye-bye......before October.

Also, there is PLENTY of competition on the CO / KMCO), USA - Florida">MCO-LAS route already. I don't have any idea of the amount of carriers flying that route, but I am sure that all the large carriers, AA,DL,CO,UA,US and WN probably operate on that route. Why would we want to compete on that route? I'd rather operate a MLI-LAS flight where I don't have any competition.

Just my two cents.........

access-air

Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:46 am

Actually,

Air Tran will probably fill that plane all the time..Being a travel agent in this area...Moline being one of the closest airports to us other than Rockford. Moline will put the people on, I can guarantee it....
Trans Meridian has been flying from Rockford to Las Vegas with twice weekly service and they according to their agents at the counter go out 85-95 % full every flight.....So it is good for Moline and I think that it is also a result of Allegiant starting Peoria-Las Vegas service....
Having once worked also for AccessAir (their reservatiosn department) at the Moline Airport....there are many other destinations that could be economically served and supported out of Moline. (Hubs are a bother)
Since United decided to take full size jets away and replace them with CRJs to Denver and now only once a day, that has really taken away our options for bookings.
Northwest Airlink how ever as of May 1st or so will re-start their flights to Memphis from Moline first with one early morning flight and a late return, and I believe in June with an after noon departure as well, this time with the CRJ rather than the painfully slower Saab 340....Probably the reason for the abandonment of that route abouta year ago.

All of the regional airports have suffered from "Big Airline Interruptous"
Its funny how when I worked for AccessAir United and American did the very best to try to push us out of business...well in the process they have done it to themselves or have curtailed operations so much that any modecum of customer service is shot out the window...

I hope AirTran makes a good go of it and that they add more flighst to Vegas for daytime flyers as well.....They will prolly use the "Ryan A320s" on the route until they get the 737s they have on order....we shall see....

Access-Air
Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

jmhLUV2fly

Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:34 am

JayDavis,
Yes AirTran is planning to end the Ryan contract ASAP, however I have heard diffently from you in that AirTran will likely continue to operate the 320 with Ryan till about October, I have learned such information from upper managment as I meat with them every month in Atlanta at the agent council meeting so unless you know something that Joe Leonard and Jack Smith dont know then I would tend to believe upper management....in addition...it will take a few months for AirTran to acquire enough 737's to operate the west coast routes without the need of Ryan's 320's. So there will definitly be a phase in process with the 37's and a phase out process of the 320's
We are to acquire 2 37's a month starting with the first delivery in June and at last months meeting Smith stated that the 737's would start revenue service likely around the first part of July...after the airplanes are delivered they have to be FAA certified etc..
Access-Air:
I am sure MLI will be a good city for us to operate the LAS run. AirTran makes no decision without first reviewing the market and making certain it will eventually be profitable. My only point was that being Orlando is AirTrans headquarters that this a MCO-LAS route would like be a homerun from the very start...we shall see what will be the next move...

and those are MY two cents....
JMH

So those are my two cents...believe the info

B757capt

Sat Mar 27, 2004 9:34 am

Hey yea guys don't forget air Tran should have a least 1 737 by that time.
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

Midway2AirTran

Sat Mar 27, 2004 10:42 am

From the inside, supposely John-Deere corporation, headquartered in MLI has a little to do with it; probably a little bit of guaranteed revenue.

JayDavis

Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:09 pm

JmhLUV2fly,

I don't attend the meetings as I don't live in ATL. I am just telling you what I know from a first hand basis from what my boss, who is in upper management is telling me.........not trying to get in a pissing contest with you, especially since we are on the same team.

All I know is that the sooner the A-320's are gone, the better off we are going to be, running our own aircraft.

Yes, the John Deere Corporation being located in MLI has a lot to do with it also. Those poor factory workers are about ready to go postal after having to work a forty hour week on an assembly line. That would drive me insane!
They need to go out to LAS to let off a little steam and have a little fun in their lives  Smile

Jay

jmhLUV2fly

JayDavis...

Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:19 pm

Jay,
I certainly agree we are on the same team, working hard to offer a high value, affordable air transportation.
I see you work in local area management in DFW, what exactly does that involve, just curious, Im always thirsting for knowledge and seeing where my potential future career may lead, always seeking options and what is out there....
at any rate, maybe you could come speak to us at the agent council meeting sometime, we always have guest speakers the second tuesday of each month, we all fly postive space to ATL, I work in PNS, and all agents from all stations fly to meat once a month, they provide lunch etc.
If you think you might wanna join us sometime, I can provide you our Councils presidents email address, I always enjoy the meetings.
Drop me an email if you [email protected]

.....yeah, I still think we are flying MD95's around and not Boeing 717's oh well...hehe.
JMH

ssides

Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:24 pm

To answer those of you who question this market, remember that WN is able to support daily nonstops to LAS from MAF, LBB, and AMA (possibly its three smallest markets). Lots of people just love Vegas!
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

Flyer732

Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:47 pm

What I love most about this is field station agents who have never worked an A320 flight, or dealt with the day to day ops, know what they'll be doing 3 months from now. Unlike those who have worked it day in and day out since day one.

The 737s will not come on line and go straight into flying west coast, we have to have time to work them into the system. Expect to seem them on short haul for the first month or two, then expanding out west by the end of the summer.
Ryan International will be on board at least through the end of the year. They supply us with 4 aircraft, we'll need 4 aircraft to replace them. We won't have four aircraft until the end of the year.

JayDavis

Sun Mar 28, 2004 12:56 am

I am involved in passenger sales. I am the new Regional Sales Manager for AirTran in the DFW area. Right now my main focus is the DFW area, obviously, but eventually I will be calling on accounts in DEN, LAX, and SFO. I will be responsbile for all Western sales activities.

You need to get someone from our local sales office to speak at your agents meeting. They have been doing this with AirTran a LOT longer than I have. I just started in February. I have over 8 years sales management experience, just very new to AirTran.

Flyer732, I never claimed to be an agent or an authority on this Airbus issue but all I've been told is that the A-320's are going quick.........I'm not an operations guy whatsoever.........

N323ER

Sun Mar 28, 2004 5:21 am

Ok this is how it will work 737 comes online A320 byebye

RYAN AIRTRAN(BWIOPS)
RYAN SCAIFE

Midway2AirTran

Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:44 pm

I personally look forward to the end of the A320's, bring on the B737's which will be consistant of our own product! From what I've heard, it will be just as N323er said above. By the way, only 3 A320's stay in service, one is a spare.

717-200

Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:00 pm

Midway2airtran

Looking at FTWeb for 3/28 it looks like all 4 320's 381,391,941, and 951
are all in use none sitting around as a spare.
72S 733 734 735 73G 738 742 752 763 E190 M82 M83

Flyer732

Sun Mar 28, 2004 4:04 pm

Once again, all four A320's are flying on a daily basis.
There are two aircraft a day for LAX, two for LAS, One for SFO and two for MCO.
The break down is as follows: Flight 1 to LAX typically uses the inbound from LAS. Flight 7 uses flight 4 from LAX. Flight 11 uses inbound 11 from MCO.
Flight 4 to MCO at 1125 uses the aircraft that overnighted in ATL.
Flight 4 goes to MCO and back as flight 9, then back to MCO as flight 10 and back to ATL as flight 3, then continues to LAX as flight 3. Flight 2 from LAX turns flight 2 to MCO. Flight 8 from LAS usualy terminates, and will go to MCO the next day. And flight 12, if on-time turns flight 9 to LAS.

All four aircraft do a cross country trip at least once a day, and all four aircraft are used every day.

And once again, when the first 737 is delivered it will not automaticly mean the A320's are gone. We have to have time to phase in the aircraft, get the pilots, flight attendants, rampers and customer service signed off on the aircraft and ready to rock.
Think back to when Delta took their first 777, they had the aircraft on property for a month before it flew revenue service, just getting everyone a chance to work with it. Then the first day, its very first flights were several MCO turns before it was brought back to ATL for its first long haul.

Hope that settles it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos