Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Fuel Surcharges On U.S. Carriers

Sat Mar 27, 2004 3:52 pm

I was watching CNN Headline News on cable today (March 26, 2004) and they ran a story about gas prices and the airlines. They reported that CO and DL is going to start charging a $30 roundtrip fuel surcharge on all tickets purchased starting April 1, 2004 and beyond. They also said that AA, UA and US has not commented on this yet. CNN states that the airlines now cant afford soaring fuel prices anymore so now they are going to impose the fee on their customers. Although I dont have any proof or sources to confirm this because I saw this on TV. Does anyone know the exact story to this at all and is this really going to happen? Any input would be appreciated.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

tpk

RE: Fuel Surcharges On U.S. Carriers

Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:39 pm

The chances of it sticking are slim to none. Look for the carriers to silently repeal it sometime next week.

L-188

Sat Mar 27, 2004 4:57 pm

What ever happend to raising ticket prices to cover the fuel bill?

Remember about 3 years ago when everybody started sticking "fuel surcharges" onto the ticket price.

I tell you, the airline industry is on the verge of getting worse then the University I attend for jacking the prices up by use of "junk" fees.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:11 pm

Remember about 3 years ago when everybody started sticking "fuel surcharges" onto the ticket price.

I didnt know this happened 3 years ago, I thought that was the September 11th Security fee that was imposed 3 years ago.

I think the U.S. airlines are just wanting to try to save more cash and want their customers to help offset some or part of the fuel fees. I think its sort of a good idea only if the airlines dont go too far with it and keep it quiet about it in a low profile sort of way. We will see what will really happen.

L-188

Sat Mar 27, 2004 5:32 pm

The 9/11 security fees happened just afterward, this would have been the summer before.

I think it is in an attempt for airlines to keep the appearance of low prices, in particular the historically lower prices of the mid to late 1990s. The fees then cover their additional costs.

This way they can keep their, pulling price out of my arse $350.00 fare that they had before, but the additional $50.00 in fees, that are added after that 350 fare is quoted is what covers their costs.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

AirframeAS
Topic Author

Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:09 pm

Hopefully the flying public will come to terms that one of these days (or years) that those pre-9/11 fares WILL return eventually. The line has to be drawn sometime one of these days (or years). Ive sort of forgotten how much tix used to cost before 9/11 happened. Im sure alot of people has forgotten too. The cost of living is increasing and yet the airlines are barely surviving because of this, but thats a different issue.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos