scottysair
Topic Author

Will Ever Use With PHL Hub With WN?

Mon Mar 29, 2004 12:57 pm

Hi Guys,

I just want to know about question with PHL and will ever used with PHL hub for WN? It would be good for connecting with the traffic flights to PHL. It would make expansion with seven cities and later on that would make added more flight anytime soon into the this fall. I am still hope will make added more flight to BNA, STL, CLE, DTW, JAX. It should need to make additional flight soon into the this fall and see how is they doing on the customers. It is much better than of BWI hub.

Regards!

LambertMan

RE: Will Ever Use With PHL Hub With WN?

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:19 pm

Scotty, WN doesn't have hubs per se, they have large focus city operations at places like PHX, LAS, LAX etc. I believe it was something around 80 flights that they said they'd have around summer of '05. You probably will get your wish in receiving flights to some more destinations out of PHL but some that you listed may not be high on WN's list (except JAX and BNA). CLE, and DTW are firmly on WN's crap list, and STL is finally emerging out of the doghouse with pax loads up I believe 5-6% w/ no flights added. STL, JAX, SAT, AUS, BNA, SAN etc. could be receiving additional flights to and from PHL.

cvervais

Mon Mar 29, 2004 1:48 pm

Seeing as my in-laws and all of my wifes family lives in PHL. I'd love to see a SJC-PHL non-stop.

But, that's with a grain of salt. My first choice is always UA. I've folwn with them for quite awhile and, folks like UAL777Contrail make me want to keep supporting them.

In fact I've got two SFO-PHL trips coming up on UA.

WN is good for PHL though, LCC have been strangely absent from PHL and it's going to allow more of her family to come visit us in SJC.

I love my commute, I take De La Cruz right by the runways and will have lunch sometimes at the Burger King at the end of the runways and catch AA 129 taking off.

Ok I've rambled enough.

ckfred

Mon Mar 29, 2004 3:24 pm

I'm still curious as to why WN picked PHL.

There was an article in the Chicago Tribune, and the FAA has several airports that are in dire need of additional capacity, i.e., more runways. Besides ORD, LGA, and ATL, PHL was on the list.

WN traditionally avoids airports that are congested or prone to delays, which is why WN left SFO. So, if PHL is so congested, why is WN going in?

I understand that WN doesn't like following another LCC into a market, but it seems to me that PHL might take some O&D traffic away from BWI.

The only thing I can think of is that WN thinks it can run US out of PHL the way it did at BWI.

Boeing Nut

Mon Mar 29, 2004 9:54 pm

Here's a tidbit for you STL people out there. The jetways at gates E2 & E4 were removed and are on thier way to PHL.
I'm not a real aeronautical engineer, I just play one on Airliners.net.

PHLapproach

Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:14 pm

WN has been looking at PHL for years. It's just that PHL could not provide some things that WN needed. Also WN's CEO Herb Kelleher lived in Haddonfield Township, NJ. Which is right across the Delaware River from PHL. So he grew up with PHL being his hometown AP.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:10 am

Dear PHLapproach;

For the record; Herb's family lived in Haddon Heights, not Haddonfield Township, whatever that is. He attended Haddon Heights H.S. and was a varsity letterman in three sports.
wildcat one

SonicKidatBWI

Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:57 am

LambertMan

You are incorrect. Southwest operates it's first and only east-coast hub out of BWI-Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

MAH4546

Tue Mar 30, 2004 2:04 am

You are incorrect. Southwest operates it's first and only east-coast hub out of BWI-Baltimore/Washington International Airport.

No, Lambertman is correct. Southwest operates no hubs. Baltimore is nothing more than a very large Southwest station.
a.

SonicKidatBWI

Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:12 am

Well chaulk it up to the media MAH4546 because that's what they quoted from WN a few years back. They said this would be the first hub for Southwest on the east-coast besides Dallas. So I'm going by what I heard . . . even though the media is often wrong.

quickmover

Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:22 am

LUV has claimed for years that they don't operate hubs, but what do you call it when you fly to a city that has 100 or so dailys, change planes, and continue to your destination?

freshlove1

Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:32 am

Herb is gonna throw a sh*t fit when WN runs into lengthy delays in PHL, there is no way around it, thats just the way PHL is. Delays equal higher costs across the board no matter who you are. US has had the problem for years with ATX/WX delays, some reaching several hours. Back when EA was still flying they had the same problem out of PHL. The On-Time preformance will definatly drop. WN adding flights to PHL won't help the situation either, look at what you have in a small area on the East Coast...PHL, BWI, DCA, LGA, JFK, EWR, IAD all trying to get flights in and out. There is only so much room for all those flights. the only thing I can see in the delays going up no matter what airline is flying. Maybe PHL needs to be slot controlled to help with the problem?

cha747

Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:18 am

Everybody is talking about huge ground delays and congestion at PHL...I've been flying in and out of PHL for 14 years now. The only time there have been lengthy delays that I have experienced, they were directly related to weather (mid-summer thunderstorms or mid-winter blizzards). As far as miscellaneous delays, twice while flying US, we've had to wait for a gate to become available...but these delays are nothing like pre-9/11 LGA. It's all about perspective...when I lived in Chattanooga, TN, 4 planes lined-up to take-off (AA to BNA, DL to ATL, NW to MEM, and US to CLT) one morning was considered the back-up of all time!

My 2 cents about other things being discussed...yes, BWI may see a decrease in traffic from Delaware and Brandywine Valley flyers in the upcoming years. Many of my friends in the Philadelphia/Delaware/South Jersey area find it cheaper to take a train or drive to BWI and fly out of there on WN. I've even met people who are visiting PHL, who find it cheaper to fly to BWI and rent a car rather than fly directly into PHL. Twice I've driven down to BWI. When my Dad was an independent consultant living in Northern Delaware (35 minute drive from PHL, 75 minute drive to BWI), he flew exclusively out of BWI because his customer would not pay for him to fly out of PHL. Until WN becomes stronger at PHL, I don't see those people abandoning BWI. Additionally, as far as US's demise...we'll really never know until it actually happens! My personal hope is that US and WN can coexist.
You land a million planes safely, then you have one little mid-air and you never hear the end of it - Pushing Tin

LambertMan

Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:36 am

SonicKidatBWI,
You are wrong, and shot down by two far more respected members of this board. BTW, DAL isn't a hub for WN either.

PHLapproach

Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:23 am

094147 -- "For the record; Herb's family lived in Haddon Heights, not Haddonfield Township, whatever that is. He attended Haddon Heights H.S. and was a varsity letterman in three sports."

Yea, you know when I got home I figured someone would have corrected me cause I always get all the Haddon's mixed up,lol.

SonicKidatBWI

Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:34 am

LambertMan

It's pathetic to see how pressed you are to prove a point as trivial as this one. You feel like a big man now or something? Come on, get real. Who gives a damn what BWI is to WN. As I stated in my last comments, I got my facts through the media who is very often wrong. So who looks more stupid? I'll give you a hint: It's not me sooooo . . .

[Edited 2004-03-29 23:35:43]

scottysair
Topic Author

Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:43 am

What are you think else is going on with PHL and will make reduce save times with their flight. I am pretty sure that would be fine for the customers are fly out of PHL in May 2004 with those cities to MDW, PHX, LAS, PVD, TPA & MCO. And later into the mid-summer will get expansion to RDU, MHT, LAX, HOU, MSY, PBI & FLL.

AirT85

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:13 am

I am looking forward to the lower-fares Southwest will bring to Philadelphia. We've had AirTran for years and they've helped keeped US and DL honest headed south (Georgia onwards, Florida, etc) but now that we've got an LCC with service nationwide its bound to get interesting. I don't think PHL will have too much of an effect on BWI. A lot of people do drive down to Baltimore, but from where I am at school near Harrisburg, BWI still remains a faster drive than Philly and there are no tolls on the way. Perhaps SE PA will use PHL (among other areas) but central PA fliers will probably stick with BWI.

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

LambertMan

Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:26 am

SonicKid,

Anyone moron who comes on this board saying WN has a hub appears stupid.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos