AirT85
Topic Author

Spraying Aircraft Cabins With Pesticides

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:16 am

Hi All-

I am looking for information on airlines which spray their aircraft cabins and passengers with pesticies upon landing. What countries does this take place in, how common is it, and how does it affect the passengers and crew of that airliner? Any and all information is appreciated as I am writing a research paper that involves this. Thank you so much!

-Tony

PS-Please do not attempt to contact me through the link here at airliners.net to discuss this! I am not able to access that e-mail while here at school. Thanks!
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

COTXDFW777AA

RE: Spraying Aircraft Cabins With Pesticides

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:20 am

http://www.headlice.org/lindane/discussion/old/_disc1/0000007c.htm

Check out that link. It is kinda disturbing to think about.

-COTXDFW777AA
Texas- it's like a whole different country!

PA841

Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:26 am

Malaysia Airlines sprayed us from KUL-SYD. It was awful. We all had our noses covered with blankets and such. They opened all the bins and sprayed inside as well. I was told it was for mosquitoes. I do not think a single bug made it out alive cause as passengers we almost didn't either.

LFutia

Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:21 pm

Six countries currently require pesticide spraying on all inbound flights: Grenada, India, Kiribati, Madagascar, Trinidad and Tobago and Uruguay. The application method varies by country and airline. Typically, a pressurized spray containing 2% phenothrin is sprayed over the passengers' heads during the flight (also called "top-of-descent") or upon arrival, but while the doors are closed. Alternatively, cabin crew may spray the occupied cabin prior to departure after the doors have been closed ("blocks away"). A member of the crew will announce the procedure shortly before they spray.

---- Right so how come they didnt spray when i took KLM from Amsterdam to Delhi or Delhi to Amsterdam? Or do they do it while people are sleeping?
Leo/ORD

Aviationman

Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:25 pm

Cuba as well.............................................................................................................................................................................................................

citationjet

Fri Apr 02, 2004 12:34 pm

In the 1970s US airlines sprayed the cabins prior to landing in Hawaii arriving from the Mainland. It was to kill insects onboard, so not to contaminate Hawaii. I was on numerous flights to Hawaii when that happened to me.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

ltbewr

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:35 pm

Does Australia still require flights entering their country to still be sprayed for bugs? I recall they required it when I went there in 1989. I know this is a highly disliked and controversial action because of the poisons used, the effects on people with asthma, other breathing disorders, allergies.

yukimizake

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:51 pm

They did it on a QF flight I was on, HNL-SYD in Feb-00, a totally unpleasant experience.

SunValley

Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:56 pm

Flights from the US to Tahiti do spray the aircraft prior to the door being opened. I recently experienced this on an Air Tahiti Nui flight. Additionally your luggage requires fumigation prior to your being able to claim it.

worldoftui

Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:05 pm

When I went to the Dominican Republic with Britannia a few years ago, they sprayed the cabin then. Not sure if this happens with other airlines to the Dom Rep though.

Mark

DIJKKIJK

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:16 pm

"Six countries currently require pesticide spraying on all inbound flights: Grenada, India, Kiribati, Madagascar, Trinidad and Tobago and Uruguay. "

I've been to India several times by LH and the plane was never sprayed. Only
BA seems to do it .
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

jouy31

Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:57 pm

Just had it last week on board AF on both legs, CDG-DEL and return

aireuropeuk733

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:34 pm

Back in 200 I flew with Virgin to Barbados, and they did it both outbound and return
It's nice to fly with friends

justplanecrazy

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:39 pm

I flew with Excel airways to Barbados in january and they sprayed us.
your pilots today on this 747 flight are captain oliver hardy and assisting will be FO stan laurel.Have a safe flight

trekster

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:44 pm

when we flew QF in 2001 we were not sprayed, well i dont think we were. I know we had to take our shoes off once at the airport and get them cleaned, that was it i think

Where does the time go???

ManchesterMAN

Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:49 pm

Flying back from Ismir in Turkey to Manchester a few years back on Monarch after the doors were closed all the overhead bins were opened and an FA came through the cabin with a spray in each hand to disinfect the cabin. Never seen this before or since though.
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

maehara

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:25 pm

From experience it seems flights to/from Zimbabwe require spraying as well.

UM & BA sprays seem to be fairly harmless, but whatever Comair (BA's South African franchise operator) uses seems to be nasty stuff - was on a flight of theirs JNB-VFA last year & the spray left me with a headache for about a full day after the flight.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:29 pm

LTBR: Does Australia still require flights entering their country to still be sprayed for bugs? I recall they required it when I went there in 1989. I know this is a highly disliked and controversial action because of the poisons used, the effects on people with asthma, other breathing disorders, allergies.

I flew to Australia in 2002 and no spraying.

FoxBravo

Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:11 am

I have seen this a few places--most recently on BA when departing BKK for LHR, and on SAA when departing VFA for JNB. They did not spray on the flights into Thailand or Zimbabwe, however.

I don't recall any spraying on QF between the U.S. and Australia in 1996, but maybe I forgot or just didn't notice. And I'm pretty sure AF did not spray on its flights between LAX and PPT in 1998.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

FRASYD

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:23 am

"LTBR: Does Australia still require flights entering their country to still be sprayed for bugs?"

When I went to Australia in January this year, Qantas DID spray their Business class. But, when I went there in 2002, they didn't do. I'm not quite sure, what it really was though. Might have been a special perfume thing for their business class as well. Does anybody anything about it?

AirT85
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:40 am

From my research, their are two methods of spraying and each country accepts at least one (some countries accept both). The two methods are in some cases the airline will directly spray its passengers/crew during the flight with the doors closed. In other cases, the airline can perform "residual" spraying, where the entire cabin is drenched with pesticide and left to air out and is good to fly for 56 days into and out of countries that require spraying. Both have their plusses and minuses.

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

tripseven

Sat Apr 03, 2004 1:53 am

New Zealand (at least as recently as 1999) Sprayed by Gov't officials who came on plane upon landing... Not sprayed by the airline (United)

FlyboyOz

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:09 am

When I flew to Australia by Cathay Pacific from HKG to Brisbane in 1989, i saw a cabin crew sprayed the cabin before landing in Brisbane. But now, they didnt spray anymore when we went back to Sydney by Cathay Pacific
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

LFutia

Sat Apr 03, 2004 10:32 am

Air India does it. I saw them do it in 1998 - when i last flew them... Does Northwest do it?
Leo/ORD

airmale

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:44 pm

All airlines plying Asia-Europe have to spary the interiors, I have experienced it on Emirates Dubai-London, and we even used to spray Air France Cargo freighters for the return flight to Paris from Karachi, its required by EU, never had sparyed them for any Asian services.
.....up there with the best!

aguilo

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:53 pm

VS sprayed us on the CPT tp LHR route. Smelt quite nice actually.

B747-437B

Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:29 am

I've been to India several times by LH and the plane was never sprayed

Please let me know the flight numbers and dates. I'll pass the info on to the DGCA and they will assess the appropriate fines on Lufthansa.

India requires that the cabin crew provide a signed declaration with the GD that confirms that the cabin has been properly fumigated. I know that many airlines simply sign off and don't bother spraying, but they should be called to task for it.

If I'm on an India-bound flight and the cabin hasn't been sprayed by the time we commence descent, I ask the purser whether they intend to do it or simply forge the paperwork. They have always hurriedly pulled out the aerosols after that. If they didn't though, I would not hesitate notifying the authorities on arrival.

andz

Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:29 am

SAA spray on all flights out of JNB to LHR and as I recall to the US as well.

I have a can here of what SAA uses. The label says "a single dose Airline Insecticide for disinsectation of aircraft at blocks away"

Active ingredient: Permethrin 20g/kg

Directions for use: prior to take off, depress actuator, whilst holding can in upright position spray upwards and sideways at normal walking pace.

Dosage: apply at least 35g/100m3. For 747, use 4 cans of 70g each.

I remember once on a flight to LHR a passenger asked a flight attendant if he could have an empty can and was told no, they have to show the used cans to arrival staff at LHR. Each can has a serial number.

After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

JAFA

Sun Apr 04, 2004 6:44 am

I was a purser for another airline before my present and we tried to avoid sparying the cabin. Thats is some god awful S***. I didn't want to breathe that poison nor did I want my passengers to breathe it.
I either sprayed it outside or in the empty cabin before boarding. Then I saved the empty cans since some countries required the empty can to be presented upon arrival. If you didn't have an empty can, you would be sprayed and the doors would be shut with crew and passengers onboard for about 30 minutes.
This practice should be outlawed. There is no way that stuff is not harmful to humans. Its poison for god's sake.

mrniji

Sun Apr 04, 2004 2:54 pm

I've been to India several times by LH and the plane was never sprayed

Please let me know the flight numbers and dates. I'll pass the info on to the DGCA and they will assess the appropriate fines on Lufthansa.

Seam, even I have taken LH quite often to India and cannot remember that LH sprayed the cabines (which in my eyes is even better, because I do not trust the pesticides). On my last AI flight to India, there was no spraying, too. The only time (and that was the first time i withnessed it) was GF to India. And AF to Cameroon.

The spraying is to be taken place with all pax boarded and doors closed, right?

"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

Skydrol

Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:11 pm

When flying to countries which require this practice, at what point do they inform passengers they will be exposed to these pesticides?

when purchasing tickets?
when checking in at the baggage drop off point?
at the departure gate?
shortly after boarding?
at the end of the flight when the spraying will commence?

Unless it is one of the first two situations, where passengers have advanced notice and can have the option to choose not to travel, it should be unlawful.

Thanks for this information. I will make certain I check into this before traveling to any country which would require airlines to expose my family to these poisons.

LD4
∙ ---{--« ∙ ----{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ---{--« ∙ --{--« ∙ --{-« ∙ ----{--« ∙

chrisa330

Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:59 am

Air Canada posts its "disinsection" requriements on its website:

http://www.aircanada.ca/planning/destinations/disinsection.html

It lists Australia as one of the countries where it is required, but every time I've flown into Sydney, the aircraft has never been sprayed.

QANTAS747-438

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:52 am

I worked for the California Dept of Food and Agriculture at LAX for a while on the Japanese Beetle program in the summertime. What we looked for were Japaneese Beetles on inbound aircraft. If we found 2 or more ALIVE, then we had to call the USDA and quaranteen the aircraft. If we found 1 alive and 20 dead, for example, then that's ok, and we don't have to spray the plane.

Southwest flt 827 from Nashville was our worst. Every day, it came in and had 3 or 4 alive JB's. Once, I found 2 alive beetles in the cabin of the aircraft, and told the pilot that I had to ask all of the passengers to leave. They did, and about 45 minutes later, the flight took off as normal after having been sprayed and a bug bomb deployed.

The USDA does the same thing over at the International Terminal and the JB spraying is one of their busiest jobs.
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos