Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sqpax
Topic Author

CO DC-10 Memories From The 80's

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:14 am

I remember flying CO DEN-EWR May/85 on a DC-10. It was a dinner hour flight and remember the traffic jam to take-off from Stapleton was enormous! However, once airborne, this old 3-holer was equipped with a full bar in what I recall was the forward cabin.

I seem to remember it had a trade name "Sky Pub" but I may stand corrected on that. What a way to spend almost three hours.......an old DC-10, cocktail lounge and able to choke back all the death sticks you wanted! Ah, the golden years of aviation.

Anyone else have any memories of this "pub in the sky?"

777gk

RE: CO DC-10 Memories From The 80's

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:45 am

Ahh, the pub.

The pubs were installed on CO-ordered DC-10-10s, in order to offer similar amenities on both the DC-10 and 747. There was a bar, a couch with a table, and a few sets of lounge chairs and tables. The pub was located at the 2L/R crossaisle, and originally had a gold-colored ceiling with decorative 70s-style images. Most ships had tables with TV's and primitive video games ("Pong") built in for the enjoyment of our passengers. The pubs were left in place and advertised on timetables and other company publications well into the late 1980s, and still could be found on a handful of DC-10s through the 1990s. When the last one was retired around 1997/98, one of the final remaining vestiges of the "Proud Bird with the Golden Tail" went with it, a view back to the era when flying was a glamorous experience.

dutchjet

Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:53 am

I remember the "Lounge Era" of US flying, popular in the mid 1970s, when many airlines that purchased huge fleets of 747s, DC10s and L1011s for mainly domestic service suddenly realized that there was no way that they could fill up all of those seats, so the lounges appeared. The original lounge was the First Class lounge on the 747-100/200 series in the upper deck....all of the airlines had those - I remember as a kid enjoying the National 747 SunKing lounge as a first class pax flying from JFK to MIA and feeling so very important hanging out there with my mom and dad - that was over 30 years ago!

Eastern's L1011s had first and economy class lounges, CO, as mentioned above, and most of the other carriers including American - although I do not remember DL joining the economy class lounge club.

Also, at that time, most 747s had 2-4-3 (nine accross) seating in coach, and most 1011s and DC10s had 2-4-2 (eight across) seating in coach - the 1011s had a divider in the middle of the four seat section for storage and hanging bags....all very luxurious. When EA took delivery of its lounge equipped 8 abreast 1011s, I believe that the pax capacity in a standard domestic F/Y configuration was about 225 pax.

ord

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:54 am

As far as the DC-10s go, Continental used the pubs from 1972-1977. Then, in December 1982, they announced they would reinstall them by February 1983.

The "new" pub was a 208 square foot section aft of First Class. It had a 40-passenger capacity with seating for 10. The pub area had an L-shaped bar, galley, stowage unit, closet and bar stools. The 259 seating capacity remained due to a seating reconfiguration.

Continental also announced in October 1985 that its new A300s would have pubs, but I don't know if that ever became a reality.

Adam T.

Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:47 am

I don't remember the "pub" but I do remember flying on a CO DC10 in 1989. My Dad was in Miami finishing up his degree at the University of Miami so my Mom and I flew from IAH to MIA to see him. We were on a CO DC10. It's pretty special because it was my first flight on a widebody. I was 5 years old at the time and remember looking at the plane from the terminal saying "WOW, i'm flying on the BIG plane". Ahh....memories  Smile.

Adam

kjet12

Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:24 pm

Anybody have a photo of the Sky Pubs? Sounds similar to the upper deck lounge on the 747 classics.

Kris

uadc8contrail

Sat Apr 03, 2004 2:31 pm

sq pax,
remember the sky pub well....first co flt we(family)flew co ord-den 12/84 awesome ride and the seats in the pub i believe were f class seats, at least those near the window fwd of door 2L....

sqpax
Topic Author

Sat Apr 03, 2004 5:42 pm

Thanks for sharing your memories guys! The mid 80's may not have been aviation's "Golden Age" but it was sure a lot more fun back then than it is now. One more DEN memory.......People Express! Flew BUF-DEN-BUF many times on their ratty old 727's, transferring through the old North (?) Terminal at EWR.......it was more like a warehouse than an airport terminal. I think that PE was my first experience with no boarding card -- first come, first served!

HNLFlyBoy

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:05 pm

My oldest sister was a f/a for CO during this "Golden" age. I flew many a "Proud Bird with the Brass Arse" during my early years as she is much older than me and mom and dad would visit her frequently. We all lived in HNL and she was based and lived in LAX. Many a journey was had on those three-holers and I enjoyed my time in the pub playing pong and enjoy fruit punch out of carved wooden cups with the CO logo on them. I still have one of those around somewhere. CO had a great Hawaii service from LAX. I can't remember what they called it, but all of the menus, food, etc. were just fun. Also, f/a's had special uniforms for these routes, colorful "muu-muu" type dresses and the guys long sleeve shirts out of the same floral fabric. Oh the glory days of flying.....damn I miss them.

Goldentail

Sat Apr 03, 2004 6:48 pm

Ord.................

The A300's never had the "Pubs". That was and will always be a distinct trademark of CO during it's classic years. The only aircraft to ever have the PUBS onboard were the DC-10-10's.

In these days of RASM, CASM, and RPK's.....I don't think we will ever see that sort of thing again soon.  Crying

[Edited 2004-04-03 10:49:19]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos