Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

KLM11
Topic Author

BA At SAN -- Status

Wed Apr 07, 2004 1:56 pm

Dear Everyone,

The past few times I have visited SAN, I have not seen a BA 772, or 744. Did BA stop their service to SAN? I noticed that their gate at SAN was still marked BA and even their check in area was still there. I even noticed overhead announcements about BA and International Immigration (U.S. Customs) When I checked BA's web site, It indicated that there was'nt flights to SAN anymore. What Happened to BA at SAN? Did they leave, or are they just doing Seasonal Service here?

Thanks for any info  Smile

--KLM11
BENAIRE - The Refined Airline

PanAm747

RE: BA At SAN -- Status

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:19 pm

Afraid they did leave all operations here at SAN. The door was left open to come back at some point, but no word has been heard.

Originally, the service had been a one-stop LGW-PHX-SAN, due to weight restrictions on a 747-400 at SAN. When the 777's came into BA's fleet, each city got it's own route, and later LGW changed to LHR. After 9/11, BA tried to retain the service, but it was first reduced to 5 times per week, then started arriving at different scheduled times. Nothing worked.

Cant remember exactly when it was cancelled, but we all miss seeing that regal beauty.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

A330Fan1

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:29 pm

From their website, I believe they don't currently operate nonstops anymore between San Diego and London. I tried searching for a flight between the two cities, and they provided a connection somewhere else (e.g. ORD or DFW with AA) and from there, BA service to London.

-A330Fan1

Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:59 pm

"Originally, the service had been a one-stop LGW-PHX-SAN, due to weight restrictions on a 747-400 at SAN"

I beleive at one point when the service first started it was LGW-PHX-SAN on a DC-10 before it turned into a 744 then finally a 777 non-stop but I could be wrong.

carduelis

Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:48 pm

The DC10 service, taken over from British Caledonian, operated via LAX in both directions. Then came the extension to the PHX service on 744. Latterly, the route was operated direct, with limited payload, by 777. BA have had 777s for years, not just recently, so it was just an additional route for them. BA decided to cancel the service at the end of the last Summer Season in October. No mention has been made by BA of any plans to re-open.

If you're really interested, do a search - it has been discussed many times.

Per Ardua ad Astra! ........ Honi Soit Qui Mal y Pense!

Trvlr

Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:53 pm

Quick background--BA started LGW-PHX-SAN in 1995 (I believe), using a DC-10. They switched to a 744 in 1998. In March 2001, BA started SAN-LGW nonstop, and soon changed the routing to SAN-LHR. The flight was suspended (note "suspended" and not canceled) in late October 2003.

See https://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/1484093, among many other threads on the subject. Here's my post from that previous thread.

"This topic has been discussed many times before. My personal view (repeated here) is that BA's nonstop route to SAN was caught up in an unlucky environment practically from its inauguration. The route was launched in March 2001, as the economy was in the midst of a downturn in the economic cycle which would not end until November of that year. Yet the events of September 11th obliterated any hope of an increase in business travel, and the route further suffered. The war in Iraq made matters still worse, and soon thereafter BA announced the suspension of LHR-SAN, starting in October 2003.

I think we should try to put things in perspective for a moment. SAN was not the only destination to suffer a loss in international service over the past few years. CLT also lost BA, and LH pulled out of PHX. I would further postulate that BA's service to PHX is only kept alive by the America West codeshare. In essence, BA's suspension of LHR-SAN is not endemic to SAN, but part of a wider trend in the industry.

Moreover, we must also realize that SAN's passenger numbers are still not at the same levels as before September 11th. However, they are rising. 2003 saw 15 million passengers at SAN, down from a high of 15.8 million in 2000, but up from a low of 14.6 million just a year ago. The fall and rise of these numbers mirror those for other airports around the country. Again, the market conditions at SAN fit into a greater trend.

I am sure SAN will see transatlantic service once again, in some form. If BA had "moderate success" with SAN for at least some time in such an adverse market environment, then certainly British Airways or another carrier could make a go of it once the airport and the economy are in better shape.

I expect transatlantic service to San Diego to return by Summer 2005, not necessarily in the form of BA to LHR, but in some way."

Aaron G.

Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:33 pm

I wouldn't expect BA to come back any time soon. They actually asked SAN to pay them to continue the route. This after SAN spent several million to update the terminal to handle the flight.

Laughable.