phxmkeflyer
Topic Author

PHX Diversions Into TUS Right Now

Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:00 pm

The following flights are currently diverting to TUS due to high wind shear in PHX

Airline: A/C FL# Original routing
America West Express(Mesa) CRJ200 6418 PHXBFL
United 733 533 ORDPHX
Southwest 733 2092 STLPHX
Southwest 733 1331 SANPHX
America West 320 286 SJCPHX
America West 320 7882 MOBPHX (Charter Flight)

...more likely to follow....

jeffrey1970

RE: PHX Diversions Into TUS Right Now

Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:08 pm

I wonder if the airlines are putting the passengers in hotels, or are they putting them in buses, or are they keeping them at the airport in hopes to get off the ground soon.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

flynavy

Sat Apr 10, 2004 12:15 pm

By chance, did anyone a MOB snap photos of that A320 charter to PHX?
Change is: one airline, six continents!

futureatp

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:14 pm

Wind shear.

Departing traffic tonite at PHX was put on pause for about 30 min. The British Airways 747 was holding short of rnwy 26 for most of the time. During the time, aircraft would approach but would go-around very early. Looks like they were breaking off from final about 5 miles out. Wind died down and traffic resumed. It was strange as my shift ended at 8pm local. Almost all of the HP gates were empty. It was so quiet. But we kept pushing aircraft out as normal, they would just get in line for takeoff. But with no arriving ac, it got pretty empty.

John

Beefmoney

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:23 pm

Geeeeze, that was a nasty storm. I was in the pattern at Deer Valley Muni today(KDVT), about 20 north of PHX in a Cessna 152 (!), when a microburst came down on top of us. We did one touch and go on runway 25L with tower reading the winds at [email protected], so we decided to do one more when the microburst hit. The moment we were on final tower called the winds as "[email protected] gusts to 35"
We were somehow able to get the plane on the ground, but there wasnt enough rudder authority to keep the cessna from going off the edge of the runway. We skirted the dirt, firewalled the throttle and aborted the landing. Tower asked us our intentions, and we elected to fly to the eastern side of the city (Scottsdale) and wait for a couple hours for the storm to blow over. Several other cessnas and seminoles did the same.

What did we learn today? Microbursts are sneaky and potentially deadly. Good experience though. Nice flight lesson.

av8rphx

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:29 pm

I was down in Tempe before heading out to PHX and I saw the black clouds roll in. I was afraid that we were going to run into some major delays,but all of the weather missed Sky Harbor it seems. Flight loads tonight seemed fairly low for the most part..

[Edited 2004-04-10 07:39:41]

aguilo

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:42 pm

Excuse the dumb question..but in such dangerous conditions, wouldn't it have been better to put the Cessna down on the ground even if you missed the runway and landed on the grass?

IMissPiedmont

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:42 pm

This post answers my question about the excess aircraft at TUS this evening. As of 2015 hours, all were sitting on the ground with APUs running and lights on. I suspect the passenges were still aboard though one HP 320 was at a gate.
The day you stop learning is the day you should die.

Beefmoney

Sat Apr 10, 2004 2:47 pm

Well, Aguilo, the 2 options we had were:

1) Go off the side of the runway, hit runway markers, and most likely flip the 152 onto its roof.

2) Firewall it, get it back into the air before we left the runway surface, and re-sort the situation in the air.

We took option #2, and it obviously worked out better than #1 would have.

swaphx99

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:36 pm

I was working at Sky Harbor and was surprised by the weather. When I left at 2115 local, things were busy, but were looking normal from 2200 on. The two SWA diversions made it in at 2107 and 2110 then they were on there way by 2130. Thanks for the help TUS!!
A bad day of Photography is still better than a Good Day at Work!!

av8rphx

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:53 pm

A bit off topic... but how many of us here work at PHX??

Sat Apr 10, 2004 3:56 pm

I saw the storms from north Scottsdale, and while they were visually impressive, I didn't notice any lightning associated with them. Most of their rain appeared to be limited to the downtown Phoenix area. In fact, the storms looked as if they were in the process of collapsing. Were they, and did that actually create the microburst conditions mentioned above?

(As you may tell, my knowledge of aviation weather is basically non-existent, but I'm still very interested!)

AirframeAS

Sat Apr 10, 2004 7:32 pm

I wonder if the airlines are putting the passengers in hotels, or are they putting them in buses, or are they keeping them at the airport in hopes to get off the ground soon.

TUS-PHX via I-10 is only a 2 hour drive, I wouldnt mind doing it if my flight was diverted to TUS.
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

flyboyaz

Sun Apr 11, 2004 12:02 am

It wasn't that bad really...though it kept us running around for a couple of hours  Smile

We let all the passengers who were going to TUS anyway off the planes. A few others got off too that wanted to drive up to PHX. They weren't here very long so I don't know why they got off. Some lady was arguing with my supervisor about it, saying we were lying about the whole thing. He was like...yeah that's why there are other airlines diverted here too, including TED!

No hotels were necessary since it wasn't major. I advised 2 passengers that were going to DFW that they were on their own if they wanted to get off the plane...they seemed ok with that.

Crazy night!
Catch a ride on a smile!

asuflyer05

Sun Apr 11, 2004 2:21 am

Glad I got out of Phoenix early in the morning!

Matt

flyboyaz

Sun Apr 11, 2004 9:29 am

We just had more today too!! Got a 757 this time....nice to see some Cactus birds in TUS again.
Catch a ride on a smile!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos