TODAY- German TV ZDF 22:15

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:04 pm

22:15 zdf abenteuer wissen - report über den neuen airbus a380

mfg robin
ABC

steph001

RE: TODAY- German TV ZDF 22:15

Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:12 pm

I have seen the report on the new A380. Except for (I guess somehow usual) publicity, they gave also some facts that were interesting to me. The first part of the program was only publicity. They showed the supposed first class cabin with a lot of frills inside as we know it from Airbus commercials. Nevertheless, they mentioned that the final configuartion is up to the customer and that some cabins may be slightly different.

The interesting parts followed. They showed how the reliability of the systems on the new A380 is tested on ground. They have built a "metal bird" (that's a metal skeleton) where all electronic and hydraulic equipments of the new Airbus were installed in working conditions as they would be on the plane. With this metal bird they checked the behavior of the equipment during stress situation in flights. I'm not aware whether this is standard in the industry, but it was interesting to me. They have also mentioned that they had weight problems with the plane and showed how they are trying to reduce the weight by using new materials.

They have also mentioned the different opinions on the development of air traffic. They said Airbus counts on a greater demand for big planes due to the slot restrictions in hubs and that Boeing sees the chances in building smalles (wrt A380) planes that are able to offer more point-to-point service. Finally they sticked to the Airbus prediction, but they didn't really give any reasons for that.

Akumas

Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:14 pm

The German DW News had a segment on Alitalia and The Love Parade  Laugh out loud

fritzi

Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:22 pm

Servus

Danke for the tip!

Fritzi

fraT

Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:23 pm

What really surprises me is the fact that they are building the parts in France, Germany, England and Spain and ship them to Toulouse to put the pieces together. They showed that most parts are to big to transport them in the Beluga Airbus so they have to ship them.
I know that EADS is a multinational Company but isn't this practice a lot more expensive then building it in one place?

Dexter

Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:36 pm

Frat,
Good point. They have to transport some parts by sea to the French Atlantic coast, then carry them by road or ship to Toulouse. In order to do that they had to build extra roads, large river ships, etc. There are ecology groups protesting against the whole thing, b/c there is much more traffic on small rivers in France in connection with the A380 project. I remember Germany proposing the final assembly line to be set up at Schwerin-Parchim. That would have been a way better choice in terms of logistics IMO (an almost empty former military airfield, close to the sea, etc.). But I guess there's some politics involved here.

Akumas

Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:57 pm

Also, redaktion D had a segment on Airbus plant in Hamburg  Smile

MD11Engineer

Thu Apr 15, 2004 9:58 pm

One of the problems concerning Schwerin is that the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern is one of the most xenophobic regions of Germany. Even Germans from other provinces have been beaten up there by drunk skinheads because they spoke a different dialect. The non-German partners of Airbus protested against Schwerin as the assembly centre due to dangers to their personnel.
Also there are jobs at stake. Each country involved in Airbus tries to get as much as possible of the work located in their own country, not to forget about french pride about "their" plane.

Jan
Je Suis Charlie et je suis Ahmet aussi

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos