Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbus3801
Topic Author

Jet Blue Or Southwest

Sat May 01, 2004 1:17 pm

Maybe this has been discussed before but I am new (3rd Day), Would you rather fly on Southwest or Jet Blue on a coast to coast flight
I would say Jet Blue because of the PTV's but what do you think is better?

futureualpilot

RE: Jet Blue Or Southwest

Sat May 01, 2004 1:23 pm

Personally, WN, I just like them better for some reason. Always have too.
Life is better when you surf.

aviogenex

Sat May 01, 2004 1:38 pm

Jetblue has done an awesome job so far but Southwest is Southwest, no wonder they are THE model.

Aviogenex

atrude777

Sat May 01, 2004 1:39 pm

Thats a hard one- because id go wiht the cheapets fi they are similair in prices id go wiht Southwest casue iv flown them be4 and know what to expect however, those tv's look nice to me but, im deaf so i cant understand them anyways, Prolly Southwest.
Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

Adam727

Sat May 01, 2004 1:43 pm

It would have to be Southwest all the way. "They are just plane nuts" and that is what I like about Southwest.  Smile

777boy

Sun May 02, 2004 2:12 am

ugh, don't live TV, extra legroom, and blue chips mean anything???

I absolutely hate Southwest and wouldn't even consider them on more than a 1-2 hour flight (longest I've taken is SJC-SAN), but would consider jet blue (went on them from OAK-LGB and didn't want to get off when the plane landed!).

airbus3801
Topic Author

Sun May 02, 2004 2:15 am

I am surprised that so many of you are IGNORING THE TV!!!!!!!! except the post above

Sun May 02, 2004 2:17 am

I am surprised that so many of you are IGNORING THE TV!!!!!!!! except the post above

Since you're 13-15, I'll assume your parents purchase your air transportation. As you get older, things like TV will become less important to you and things like work (and reading, etc.) will become more important. And WN's refund policy, which gives a FULL refund in the form of a travel voucher that's valid for one-year, will often make that airline more attractive to JetBlue to many travelers who are not 100% confident with their travel dates.

rjpieces

Sun May 02, 2004 2:28 am

If the prices were the same, I'd fly B6. I wouldn't pay a large premium to fly B6...So if the price is right, I'm there!
"Millions long for immortality who do not know what to do with themselves on a rainy Sunday afternoon"

catholic2006

Sun May 02, 2004 2:36 am

I've never flown JetBlue before, so naturally I would go with Southwest Airlines because when I'm flying on long flights I want to feel comfortable. The real decision, of course, would be up to my parents.

As far as the personal television sets go, I'd like them, but I wouldn't die without them. I'm a reader, so the majority of my time would be spent reading the magazine on the plane, one that I've purchased, a novel, or studying the French language. Although if it were during the school year I would most likely be doing homework.

Regardless, I would definitely choose Southwest airline (even though the dream that my mom had about it was not very comforting).

-Chris
Ne vous inquietez pas. Je ne vous hais pas . . . . encore, mais faites attention !

DfwRevolution

Sun May 02, 2004 2:45 am

If B6 ever comes to DFW, not exactly counting on that, I'll would take a leisure trip with them if/when the oppurtunity arose. But I've got a WN Visa card, a WN RapidRewards account, and always go to WN before searching any other airline. WN has proven to me time and time again that they want my business and value my business. Not to mention, I respect an airline that can maintain 3 decades of profitability.

Regards,
DFW
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

ozzie

Sun May 02, 2004 2:46 am

I, personally, would choose WN. I love the service, and upbeat additude.

Aeroflot777

Sun May 02, 2004 2:58 am

I am on 777boy's side. I absolutely adore those TV screens. I have flown both B6 and WN. For a fun filled flight with jokes and things like that I would go with WN no matter what. I have gone on their OAK-SEA route and back. As for making time fly by faster, I would choose B6. I have flown with them 4 times on the OAK-LGB flight with round-trips. I can say that I too didn't want to get off the plane when it landed. The flight was only one hour and seemed very short!!
I finally have a OAK-JFK booked with them in June, and coming back in September. I really can't wait, because they will serve all the possible snack and drink selections, as opposed to the "limited" ones on the OAK-LGB flight. I find jetBlue staff extremely professional. And as I have mentioned in other posts, they will try to do everything they can to serve you right!
If you have any further questions, you can just e-mail me.

P.S. My parents never bought me tickets since I was 12. They told me to do it on my own. I just had to confirm if the price was ok for them. Other than that the whole booking process was done by me. They though it would teach me responsibility. And I can tell you that is has! So basically I could book any airline I wanted as long as the price was ok. And I'm talking mostly international trips.

jetbluefan1

Sun May 02, 2004 3:03 am

For a cross-country, it's a no-brainer. JetBlue all the way. There's tv in every seat, there's more legroom (especially in the back), and the seats are a bit wider. Also, the snacks are more filling than Southwest's snacks (from my experience), and you can have as many as you want.

This isn't to say that Southwest and JetBlue don't compare on short-hops. TV isn't necessary on an hour flight, but if you're going to be in the air for 5 hours, you must want some entertainment other than a flight attendant singing up and down the aisles, right?

JetBluefan1

NW747-400

Sun May 02, 2004 3:23 am

I hate Southwest. Almost all of their planes are filthy and I hate being herded onto the airplane like cattle. Thanks, but I will pay the extra $10-$50 to fly Delta, especially because I get complimentary upgrades and complimentary crown room membership. I have actually never flown jetBlue, but Song seems to be very similiar and I love them so I would probably love jetBlue also.

airbus3801
Topic Author

Sun May 02, 2004 3:29 am

seems like it is really divided here. But I have to ask... with the post above... do you often find the aircraft dirty when flying Southwest?

JBLUA320

Sun May 02, 2004 4:08 am

Well, similar to Aeroflot, when it comes to booking airfare, Im the man in charge in this household (and with many of my friends, family and even teachers as well). The only thing I need to confirm with them is price, and usually, they will pay a few extra dollars to fly on an airline I reccomend.

But given the choice, and having flown both Southwest and jetBlue, I'd choose jetBlue. It is where my loyalties have been for quite some time (between them and Continental, the world is pretty much covered). Its not even about the TVs, or the leather seats. Its about bang for you buck. Frills aside, 34" of seat pitch, low fares and a professional attitude is what keeps me and many others coming back for more.

While I would certainly never pay an extra $100 to fly jetBlue (no airline is THAT great), they are worth a few extra bucks in my opinion.

That said, If the flight was short, Id consider Southwest. I know that the singing flight attendants are rare, but I think Id shoot myself if I had to endure that on a 5 hour flight.

JBLU

Mike77

Sun May 02, 2004 4:30 am

JET BLUE all the way!!!! I am a Southwest Rapid Rewards member with a Southwest Visa card and years of flying experience with Southwest(I was, afterall, born & raised in Dallas), but since Jet Blue's arrival, I have completely changed my loyalties. Unfortunately, since I live in the San Jose/San Francisco Bay Area, Southwest has more flights to more places I need to go. But I take Jet Blue on my flights to Southern California and the East Coast. Nothing compares to having live TV, filling snacks and attractive, professional flight attendants. Ever since I got my first Jet Blue experience, I now climb the walls on any flight that doesn't have TV. And the Jet Blue interiors are so clean and modern. Plus, I appreciate how on most of my Jet Blue flights, we are given an option of deplaning through the jetway in the front or the airstairs in the back. This makes the process so much easier and more efficient. And how can you not love those Jet Blue adds? Flight attendant: "I fly to California 14 times a month" Interviewer: "Why is that?" Flight attendant: "Because that is where the plane goes" Absolutely hilarious!  Smile

Michael

sccutler

Sun May 02, 2004 4:35 am

B6 is a viable option when leisure travel's on the plate, but their schedule and frequencies ensure that, for business travel, Southwest will usually be the choice. Business travel often includes last-minute changes in schedule, and WN's helpful policies and (most important) higher frequencies make changes much less disruptive.

PTV's are an amusing novelty, but irrelevant to airline selection to most business traveler adults.

I have not observed filthy airplanes on Southwest, in the past or recently; I presume B6 maintains their planes in a good state, I know WN does.

Finally, I believe Southwest's seat pitch is better than most- is there a meaningful difference with that provided by B6? Inasmuch as they don't serve this part of the country (or most, for that matter), I have not had teh chance to fly with them, though I look forward to seeing JetBlue in Dallas.

When flying is a novelty, one chooses based upon novel things. When flying is a necessity, one chooses the proven product, and Southwest is teh quintessential "proven product."
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

steveswa737

Sun May 02, 2004 4:59 am

Obviously its a personal choice. I've said it before and I will say it again. "Southwest and jetBlue are both great airlines." Both airlines offer plenty of legroom in their all economy seating. Both airlines don't serve food. Both airlines give great Customer Service. So if you want an assigned seat and PTV then choose jetBlue. If you like choosing your own seat and prefer to read or sleep then choose Southwest. My best friend flies jetBlue and Southwest out of FLL all the time. He loves both airlines and doesn't notice much of a difference between the two. He usually picks the airline that is offering the lowest fare and which departure time works best with his schedule. Like I said, its a personal choice. In the end, I believe you would be happy with either airline.

Steve

Benjamin

Sun May 02, 2004 5:09 am

I get complimentary upgrades and complimentary crown room membership

How do you manage the Crown Room membership?

nucsh

Sun May 02, 2004 5:17 am

I would fly JetBlue over Southwest ANY day. First off, im 17, and yes, I do have to buy my own airfare. In the US, there is a show called "Airline" that follows the daily travels of people flying Southwest. From what I have seen from that show, I couldn't STAND even a 1 hour flight on Southwest. I can't stand unprofessional F/As. Anyone who makes noise and jokes around on even the shortest flight is unacceptable. I'd rather sit there and stare out of the window than to have someone babling on with "games" and jokes.

From what I've heard, B6 does nothing of the sort.

Granted, I have flown neither of the 2 airlines, neither of them fly to CLT. But when B6 starts JFK-CLT service with the new 190's, I'll be ecstatic. Heck, I'll book a day flight just to fly them.  Smile

As far as WN, I hope they never come to CLT. The last thing we need is another LCC trying to snuff out US in ANOTHER one of their hubs. Thats another reason why I dislike WN, they're blood-hungry fiends waiting to strike down the next major airline, and in this case, its US.

Just my 0.02
If landing is about "kissing" the ground, you just about raped it.

F4N

Sun May 02, 2004 5:18 am

To all:

It's very simple; choose whatever flight gets you there for the fewest $$ and the most convenience to you. I've flown both and there isn't much difference.
Southwest has never disappointed me and JB, while hardly the cult experience some would suggest, was also good.

Oh yeah, the TV...if you're one of those simps who can't go more than an hour without a screen in your face to amuse you, go jetblue.

regards,

F4N

steveswa737

Sun May 02, 2004 7:34 am

NUCSH,
In the US, there is a show called "Airline" that follows the daily travels of people flying Southwest. From what I have seen from that show, I couldn't STAND even a 1 hour flight on Southwest.

I think we've covered this before, but the show "Airline," only shows the over the top moments. Nobody would watch if they showed the normal day to day operations of people getting on and off their flights. Also, your kidding yourself if you think that jetBlue doesn't deal with the same kind of customer situations that you see on "Airline."

You certainly have the right to chose jetBlue over Southwest, after all Southwest isn't for everyone. You cant take yourself too seriously and you should have a sense of humor. By the way, I fly Southwest 4 days a week and its been 8 months since I heard a FA do the "funny" PA. It's not as common as it was in the past.

Steve

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos