Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Most Luxurious Flight You've Been On:

Mon May 03, 2004 12:43 am

What flight has been your most luxurious?

For me, it is tied between BA concorde and ANA F (new style).

While Concorde while all about refinement, I must say that ANA was about a true F experience. ANA's seat, service, food, entertainment, etc. is all superlative!

I do miss the freebies that F pax used to get. (I received watches from both SQ and SR. But that was 10 years ago).

RB211LTN

RE: Most Luxurious Flight You've Been On:

Mon May 03, 2004 12:51 am

I never got to fly on Concorde but have flown regularly in First with BA. It is luxurious but discreet and the seat is amazingly comfortable. The food is good but the portions are a bit arty and small. The champagne is gorgeous and the crew tend to be more senior and thus more in-tune with old-fashioned values of charm and politeness.
I have seen the pics of First on TG and it looks horribly gaudy. BA does it better.

chrisnh

Mon May 03, 2004 12:55 am

This isn't saying much, but mine was Singapore flight 036, from Amsterdam to Chicago in Octorber 2001. The aircraft was 9V-SVC, a 777.

The flight was memorable because at the time this plane was the newest in the Singapore fleet. It was also memorable to me because of the IFE system, which included interactive trivia with/against other passengers. I even won a round during the nine-hour flight and was presented with a nice gift. The food was great, and so too were the movie selections on board.

Otherwise, my other favorite flight was aboard British Airways 777 G-VIIU from Heathrow to Boston in 2000. This was flight 239, the nonstop that leaves LHR around 6pm and gets into Boston in the evening. My wife and I were bumped up to business class and it was quite an experience, coupled with a half-hour visit to the cockpit with the crew while over the Atlantic...something that you obviously can't do these days.

Chris in NH

cancidas

Mon May 03, 2004 1:05 am

i would have to say my flight to london on a BA 747, first class.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Steve Hall
View Large View Medium

Photo © Will Lanting

BA747400

Mon May 03, 2004 1:08 am

Rb211ltn,
Fantastic description. I couldn't have said it better myself. Although sometimes lacking in some areas, BA first class is, in my experience, the most luxurious service out there today. Like you said, it represents the values and class that flying used to be synonymous with. It seems they are one of the few airlines that still remember those times. I have been on many different airlines first class, and none can compare. To be honest, world traveler plus is just as good, if not better than almost every other airlines first class. (Those I have experience anyway.)

Once again, well said.

Regards,
Mike

Oh and Zrs70, I am very jealous of your trip on concord! Good for you!

Sabena332

Mon May 03, 2004 1:19 am

My most luxurious flight was on British Airways in Club World from EWR to LHR, everything was perfect, the seats, the food, the crew, etc. I can absolutely recommend BA's Business Class.

I had two other very good flights on Privatair (DUS-EWR and ORD-DUS), it is very exclusive to cross the Atlantic on an ACJ with only 48 seats.

Patrick

FURUREFA

Mon May 03, 2004 1:50 am

AA F from BOS-CDG in 1998! Everything was perfect: great food (caviar!) and seats!

MAT

(It was a while ago, if anybody has pics of the old AA business and first class seats email them to me at [email protected])

AZA330

Mon May 03, 2004 2:11 am

My most luxurious flight was last summer, LGW-ATL and ATL-LGW in FIRST on British Airways.

BA First is the best premium classes I've flown: the food is good (I think too the portions can be bigger, but in luxury restaurants you don't eat like a pig  Smile/happy/getting dizzy and the seat is wonderful. Coming back from ATL the class was empty (only me and another lady) and they told us to take the seat we wanted (I was fine on my checked 02A). I slept like in my bed that short night  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Ciao

pmanchuk

Mon May 03, 2004 2:27 am

Although my experience probably isn't up to the standards of many on this board, I'd have to say Air France back in March from MIA to CDG.

Granted, the first class seats are still of the older type, but they do lie flat. I suppose it wasn't even the seat or the entertainment that made the trip great, as much as it was the cabin crew. Trying to deal with the crazy MIA airport, it was such a welcomed sight to be personally walked to my seat upon boarding. My jacket and carry on were stored for me before I even had the opportunity to think about asking them... and immediately after a glass of champagne was in my hand as I sat down.

Overall, for myself anyway... it's not the "toys" such as the best seat or entertainment system, as it is the best personal service. I know many people complain about Air France, but the crew was beyond helpful... extremely kind and attentive. The luxury part of the flight was the fact that the crew treats you as a first class passenger and truly wants to make your flight enjoyable. If I had to make a choice between the newest seats or best service, I'd take the service in a heart beat.

But that's just my own opinion.

concord977

Mon May 03, 2004 2:37 am

My experiences result in a 3-way tie:

- AA 747SP, DFW to AA), Japan">NRT.

- BA Concorde, JFK to LHR

- MGM Grand Air, LAX to JFK to LAX

All three were in 1st class. The 747SP flight was before the introduction of sleeper seats (which I have also experienced), but it was just a really great flight. It was as if AA put tremendous effort into making that city-pair a special experience.

The MGM Grand Air DC-8 was a mix of 1st class configuration and corporate, with lounges and public areas, bench seating, etc. The food was incredible and many of the passengers were well-known.

The BA Concorde was small and tight, not unlike an ERJ of today. But what a ride! You really did feel special riding on that great aircraft.

Bofredrik

Mon May 03, 2004 2:44 am

Concorde AF
Concorde BA
American F-class 767-200 (ORD-ARN)
Pan Am F-class 747-200 (AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA-JFK)
SAS F-class DC-10

daumueller

Mon May 03, 2004 2:59 am

LH F-Class (~ 16 within the last 12 months)
TG F-Class (AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA-BKK-AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA last march)
OS Amadeus Class ("just" a C class but not too bad at all  Smile )
UA F-Class (DEN-ORD-AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA)

Zrs70, about the goodies, there are still some (LH gives away sweatshirts e.g.) but it's not anymore what it used to be  Smile

deltaownsall

Mon May 03, 2004 3:07 am

SQ F Class NRT-SIN. Although I didn't get the bed made, the seat and service were just impeccable....gotta love the 14(?)" PTV as well.

COAB767

Mon May 03, 2004 3:14 am

My most luxurious flight was British Airways SuperSonic Concorde BA002 to LHR and BA001 back to JFK. What an experience I'll never forget that flight!!!!!!!

MY7E7

Mon May 03, 2004 3:50 am

my most luxurious flight was from LHR-MIA onboard a BA 744. It was a class by itself in the late 1990s

dtwclipper

Mon May 03, 2004 3:54 am

Long, long ago, Pan Am used the upper deck on it's 747's for First Class dining.

That was the most luxurious plane trip I ever took.

andrewuber

Mon May 03, 2004 3:56 am

UAL First Class on a 747-400 SFO-ORD in 1998 was quite fun (especially since we were non-rev!), but my favorite was 1st on Emirates LHR-DXB on A330-200 A6-EKT. Absolutely perfect.

PresRDC

Mon May 03, 2004 4:05 am

Cathay Pacific in F on the following routes:

SFO-HKG August 2002
HKG-KIX August 2002
KIX-HKG August 2002 (less so b/c a/c had old the old style seats)
HKG-BKK August 2002
AA), New Zealand">AKL-HKG August 2002
HKG-LHR August 2002
SFO-HKG October 2003
HKG-JNB October 2003
JNB-HKG November 2003
HKG-YVR-JFK November 2003

A close second would be Lan Chile in F on the following routes:

SCL-LAX March 2002
SYD-AA), New Zealand">AKL August 2002
LAX-SCL February 2003
SCL-JFK February 2003

I've enjoyed BA F on the following routes, but find it somewhat less nice (but still perfectly acceptable):

LHR-DXB March 2002
DXB-LHR March 2002
CAI-LHR February 2004

I've also enjoyed QF F on one flight:

BKK-SYD August 2002

As a loyal AA flyer, I've experienced its international and premium transcon F a several occasions and have enjoyed it, but would not describe it a luxurious:

AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA-DFW March 2002
DFW-SCL March 2002
JFK-SFO August 2002
LHR-JFK September 2002
JFK-LAX February 2003
JFK-LHR March 2003
ORD-LHR April 2003
JFK-LAX February 2004
LAX-JFK February 2004
AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA-DFW February 2004

Finally, I've flown a segment in F on EgyptAir, which was fine, but not really luxurious:

JFK-CAI February 2004

Caymanair

Mon May 03, 2004 4:43 am

Air Jamaica A340 from Kingston to London. First Class, plus all their great amenities (inflight chef, inflight fashion show with f/a, excelent food) best trans atlantic flying on earth.

MMEPHX

Mon May 03, 2004 4:55 am

PHX-LHR BA Club World, Christmas 2003. Upgraded from Traveler Plus in both directions, lie flat seats excellent. Good food. Very Very comfortable. The first 11 hour flight that I didn't want to get off at the end!

kl911

Mon May 03, 2004 5:26 am

My best ( and first longhaul) has been a DUB - LHR - IAD - MIA trip with UA and BD in 1998. LHR -IAD was First class both ways, with the IAD MIA leg in Business . An absolute super experience! Arriving back in LHR it was strange to suddenly connect to economy class LHR - DUB.... After that I flew UA many times trans-atlantic and it's always so cool! They really know what service is!

KL911

PA841

Mon May 03, 2004 5:39 am

MH First class LAX-SYD via NRT and KUL. May not be a non-stop flight but it is definitely non-stop eating fest. Best leg was KUL-SYD. I was the only one in F class and still the flight attendants made you feel like a little Prince. I kept ordering a drink called teh tarik...its basically a milk tea that is poured from the teapot to the glass but you have to gradually move your arm with the teapot upwards...so it makes the tea all frothy. The crew took me to the galley to teach me how to pour the tea out. It was fabulous. They didn't mind that half the tea was on the galley floor but they still kept me entertained. I was also given a tour of the crew rest area in the below area of the 777. Talk about flying in a coffin. It was kind of creepy. I left the flight with 2 bottles of their Dom and a set of MH crystal glassware as a parting gift. It was so nice and I was touched by their generosity.

Greg

Mon May 03, 2004 7:02 am

The Concorde was a lot of things...but luxurious is was not. It was cramped with a small aisle and bathrooms that you could hardly use standing up. I'll give it a 100 on the 'prestige' factor, but the seating..and even the comfort of the seats (BA only) was worse than any other premium product I've experienced.

On the other hand, BA's first class is in a league of it's own. Better than both CX and SQ which are very competitive as well.

rev3oh2

Mon May 03, 2004 7:24 am

Lufthansa business class from Charlotte to Frankfurt and back!

It was upstairs in an older 747 (now a cargo carrier), but still very spacious with great service.

Pilot even allowed me to take an in-flight cockpit photo (this was 1990) as we were flying in over the North Sea approaching Amsterdam.

rev3oh2

Mon May 03, 2004 8:19 am

Lufthansa business class from Charlotte to Frankfurt and back!

It was upstairs in an older 747 (now a cargo carrier), but still very spacious with great service.

Pilot even allowed me to take an in-flight cockpit photo (this was 1990) as we were flying in over the North Sea approaching Amsterdam.

ba97

Mon May 03, 2004 8:28 am

Concorde - understated elegance and class. Sure, small but where else could you travel at 1300mph drinking expensive champagne. The service as a whole--Concorde check in, Concorde Room, boarding from the room is unrivalled. Next -a four engined propeller North West Territories Air flight from Edmonton to Yellowknife NWT in 1980s. Sitting in the rear with seats with their back to the windows like a living room. A real kitchen beside you with someone making you breakfast..."how do you want your eggs?".

redngold

Mon May 03, 2004 8:50 am

One time, because I had to be rerouted for weather, I flew first class on USAirways PIT-TPA.

I was absolutely spoiled. The return trip was on MetroJet, TPA-BWI-CLE, and I missed first class sorely (literally and figuratively.) Of course, I can't afford first class tickets, so I haven't been afforded that luxury since, but...

1. Drinks before takeoff. Yeeha! Cool even for someone who doesn't consume alcohol.
2. Real glass and china for the meal.
3. HOT food that was hot and COLD food that was cold.
4. Not getting my elbow bumped by the food cart.
5. Seats that were real seats rather than a pinch and a squeeze.

I can't wait until I can afford first class again... or at least Midwest Airlines...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

redngold

FLYtoEGCC

Mon May 03, 2004 8:55 am

Wow - I feel quite intimidated posting in this thread! I wish I was as lucky as you lot - I don't think I'll be able to get out of cattle class in the near future, my bank balance as a student won't allow it! My most luxurious flight to date has been on an AMM 757 (brand new at the time, G-OOBD) MAN-FUE, in the legroom seats at the emergency exits! Apart from that, it's been LCCs and packed-in-like-sardines charters all the way.

tbear815

Mon May 03, 2004 12:53 pm

For me, we'd have to go back to when PA flew the world and UA's premier service was to Hawai'i (before int'l service). F was a true pleasure. UA west coast - HNL on a 747 was a cocktail party and lunch/dinner service with most courses served at the seat. The 747's had the upstairs set up as a first class lounge that was beautifully decorated and service to stop a clock. It was an incredible experience all with an Hawai'ian accent (F/A's in holomu'us, Hawai'ian boarding music, headrests in Hawai'ian print, menus, terrific Mai Tai's, etc.)

PA trans-Pacific on the 747SP in first was something one can only dream about. In other topics, I've gone into detail, but the experience was sublimely exquisite. Gone, but not forgotten.

You talk about First Class - well, "it ain't how it used to be!"

MSYtristar

Mon May 03, 2004 1:11 pm

Hands down, United's 747-400 Business Class, which I got to experience this past January between SFO and DEN....

View Large View Medium

Photo © Timothy Hannan

The runner up was a flight in Club Europe class on a British Airways B767-300 between MXP and LHR in 1999. Extremely impressive service!

Steve/NewOrleans

SAS330GOT

Mon May 03, 2004 1:26 pm

I would say mine was my dream coming through BA 001SST Concorde. I miss her very much. If not on her then my first trip to the US on a BA 747-400 on upper deck granted I have never flown first, but it was so nice, remember watching Batman Forever 4 times!

mel

Mon May 03, 2004 2:19 pm

Newark-Dusseldorf on the PrivatAir BBJ. Only 11 passengers onboard total.

4jaded

Tue May 04, 2004 2:27 am

My most luxurious flights come in two catagories
Luxury as in the bells and whistles onboard /ie sleeper seats etc/
and Luxury in being treated like a valued first class passenger and the carrier using what they had to make the experience the best it could be.
Luxury on board catagory...

AA 767-300 MIA - GRU F-sleeper seat and the whole works
LA 767-300 LIM - MIA C- excellent seat,food, and entertainment

Flights that made me feel like a true First Class Passenger

Aloha Airlines SNA-HNL 737
No sleeper seat but some of the best food I have ever eaten on any airline
and the best service from reservation to baggage pickup that I have ever had.

Copa Airlines MIA-LIM 737

Not the best of anything to offer but tried harder with what they had to offer than anyone else /except Aloha/.

Honorable Mention

Aeromexico MIA-MEX M80
Good Quality product all around

Continental IAH-LAX 777

The best F class domestic flight I have ever been on.!

nomadic

Tue May 04, 2004 4:30 am

Although it was a few years ago, without a doubt the most luxurious flights I can remember were on TWA, First Class JFK to Rome and back aboard a classic 747

The hostesses and purser were the epitome of style and class. They were truly happy to welcome you aboard and this was reflected in their smiles and the professional way they conducted themselves. The atmosphere in the cabin was refined and elegant with low lights, soft music and bouquets of red carnations on the serving buffets in the lavatories.

The champagne & caviar started before take off. The meal was served course by course from a rolling trolley. TWA's famous chateaubriand was carved at the seat. Breakfast before arrival was another full meal, including eggs cooked aboard.

The return was just as elegant with a delightful lunch and an Italian tratoria-style buffet after the movies featuring freshly made pizza, pastries and spumoni ice cream. This special touch made saying goodbye to Italy a little easier.

There was no hi-tech IFE or 180 degree sleeper seats but the elegant service and attention to detail are things I will never forget.

HNLFlyBoy

Tue May 04, 2004 5:52 am

My most luxurious flight also happened to by my first flight alone, when I was 14. I was traveling UA HNL-LAX back in the mid-80's on a 747-200 in F. I was seated in the bulkhead row of the upper deck. It was a morning departure from HNL so it was breakfast at 30,000 ft. The service was immpecable and obviously an experience I will not forget, considering I have made this trip and return countless times since then.

I remember everything. The startched linen being put down on the tray table started it all. NO trays at all. The table was actually "set" for you. A warm bakery basket was offered and then a trolley with a carved watermelon filled with fruit salad was plated seatside. Your entree was next and then a silver platter was brought around with your choice of breakfast meats. Breakfast steaks, link sausage, canadian bacon, etc. The drinks were free flowing. Completely satisified I settled in to watch the movie. Prior to landing a cheese/cracker service was offered once again from a trolley seatside. This was the best flight of my life, especially since the cabin crew that performed the service were top notch. This run went rather senior and still is.

I flew UA on a domestic flight also in the 80's on a three-class config. HNL-SFO in F, with the sleeper seats. Still nothing compared to my most luxurious flight. Ah, when First was First!

Adam T.

Tue May 04, 2004 5:58 am

US Airways First class from PIT to SEA on an A321  Smile. The only two airlines i've flown first class in are US Airways and UNITED and the US Airways flight from Pittsburgh to Seattle was perfect!

Adam

PA110

Tue May 04, 2004 6:00 am

Without a doubt, Pan Am First Class transoceanic (pick an ocean). Excellent champagne or vodka with caviar, outstanding regional vintage wines, cart and carvery service, floral arrangements, the whole 9 yards. Very classy, better than anything AA, CO, DL or UA have done since on their international long haul services. Pan Am just had a certain sense of style that today's carriers lack. Unfortunately, that sense of style came at one hell of a price!

[email protected]

Tue May 04, 2004 6:02 am

Ryanair from Newquay to Stansted. Ryanair from Stansted to Newquay. Ryanair from Liverpool to Dublin. Ryanair from Dublin to Stansted. Ryanair from Stansted to Hahn. Ryanair from Hahn to Bergamo. Ryanair from Bergamo to Stansted. And so on.

RB211LTN

Tue May 04, 2004 6:06 am

FLYtoEGCC I feel a bit guilty boasting about flying First on BA! To show that I do have a 'normal' life in which I pay full price for the tickets, I flew LGW-GOI last year with Monarch on the A330. We paid the extra £170 to upgrade to Premium and it was worth every penny. The service and the food and drink were every bit as good as J class on BA and the crew were great. I flew long haul before leaving flying and there is no way I'd have been as jolly (or glamorous) after 10 hours with no crew rest.
The A332 is superb, very quiet and the fabulous roar of the Trents on takeoff has to be heard to be appreciated. I could never fly 'down the back' for such a long stretch. I've been on Monarch's scheduled flights before and they are excellent too. Well done ZB.

scseay

Tue May 04, 2004 6:30 am

Having flown CO, BA, KL and AF in Business from Houston, I'd have to say that CO's BusinessFirst is by far the most classy. I was especially disappointed by KLM. The food was slightly better than traveling in coach. I refunded my ~$5000 ticket and bought the return flight on AF through Paris. AF was good, but still does not compare to CO. Some people might think BA's seats are better now (being flat, but my flights were their cradle seats in Club World, so I don't) but the service in CO is outstanding, and the new BF seats are quite comfortable. Five round trips to different cities in Europe from Houston on CO in BF and never a bad experience. Unfortunately, I've not tried F internationally....soon though to SYD via QF.....From everything I've read here and elsewhere, CO's BF service (not counting the seats) is very close to F, if not better than some carrier's F. Still, I will make that judgement when I experience it.

bongo

Tue May 04, 2004 6:48 am

AF Concorde from Paris (CDG or Orly, can't remember) to New York JFK
KL 747 first class from AMS To Tokyo Narita
 Smile Very good service and food.

22right

Tue May 04, 2004 6:51 am

This is response to reply #20, by KL911. You said:

"After that I flew UA many times trans-atlantic and it's always so cool! They really know what service is! "

Now you have GOT TO BE KIDDING here!! You can't seriously mean to say that UA is good at service. I can understand if that is your opinion if you have not flown anything else on long-haul, since you may not have the proper case for comparison (And I don't mean to offend you in any way when I say this).

But UA = Good Service?? Puhleez! I have flown business class and first class a few times on UA, and economy class several times. The F/A's are always surly, asking them for anything different from what they are used to serving (even asking nicely with a smile and a please) is usually met by a WTF look. I have had far, far better experiences flying economy on LH, BA, and Swiss than I have had on UA.

Sorry, but I had to vent !!

RB211LTN

Tue May 04, 2004 6:51 am

Continental are good but can't be compared to BA, AF or LH. CO is like a Lexus - lots of gadgets and impeccably put together but lacking class and devoid of character.

Northwest717

Tue May 04, 2004 10:11 am

NWA 757-300 World Business Class. Gotta Love NWA! Excellent service! Thanx NWA!
 Big grin

-Tim

SQ7345

Tue May 04, 2004 6:10 pm

concorde lhr-jfk, 3h15min! had a standby ticket that cost me chf 1100.-- ID90!

LifelinerOne

Tue May 04, 2004 7:55 pm

Well,

the most luxurious flight I've ever been on was on the Queens plane, Fokker 70 PH-KBX from Amsterdam to Faro and back... That was a very nice flight and with great service from the Martinair-crew.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim de Groot

Cheers!

SV777KiloAlpha

Tue May 04, 2004 8:56 pm

The most Luxurious flight I have been on is EK316 Dubai(DXB) - Osaka(KIX) on last April 15th. I flew First Class and was seated 1K or as EK calls it Suite 1K. I would consider it the most luxurious First Class in the world. The 9 hours flight was not enough to explore the entire features of the suite.

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Morrell - Avid Creations
View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig Murray

Big grin
HZ-AKA

cx123

Tue May 04, 2004 9:15 pm

CX- F Class: HKG-LHR ( This is slightly better, as it is the more competitive route) and HKG-AKL F class
CX- J Class (Upper deck on Row 86 (exit Row) New J Class
BA J Class (Flat Bed) SYD-SIN/JFK-LHR/BOS-LHR/LHR-NRT/LHR-DXB-LHR/LHR-SIN
UA F Class (Suite)

I must say overall SQ and CX has a better F Class product. (in terms of OVERALL product rating)
Also they are the most spacious (12 seats in 744 compared to 14 in BA and QF and UA)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos