Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

cannibalz3
Topic Author

The Advantages Of Airline Groups?

Tue May 04, 2004 2:52 pm

There seem to be several loose groups of airlines from all over the world - Skyteam, for example. What function do they serve exactly? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

UALFAson

RE: The Advantages Of Airline Groups?

Tue May 04, 2004 3:10 pm

When you say "loose groups" do you mean alliances, like SkyTeam, oneworld, and Star? Because they're pretty formalized, although some more so than others.

The biggest advantage is that it makes it easier for the customer because several airlines' computers all work together.

For example, let's say I wanted to fly Norfolk, VA-Athens, Greece, where there's no nonstop service. Before, I'd be stuck flying the 1 or 2 airlines that served those cities (if such a carrier exits) with a stop(s) somewhere. I'd have to re-check my bags at those stops, wait in line to get a second or third boarding pass, and I may have had to buy two separate tickets.

Now, with alliances, I can fly on almost any airline. I can, for example, fly UAX from ORF-IAD, then choose from one of 4 IAD-AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA departures on UA & LH. I'll get my IAD-AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA and AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA-ATH boarding passes when I check in at ORF. My bags will be checked all the way through, and I can earn miles in either UA or LH's FF programs. Other options include AA & BA through LHR, KLM & NW through AMS, etc.

For businesspeople who travel all over the world, being able to earn FF miles in one program and being able to buy one ticket no matter where they want to go is a HUGE convenience. Plus, being an elite FF in one program makes you an elite in all of them, you have access to everyone's lounges, and a host of other benefits.

About the only disadvantage is some would claim they're anti-competitive to the consumer. (DL closing its AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA hub, for example, although others would argue). Some would also argue they're anti-competitive to airlines who, for whatever reason, don't want to join an alliance, because it's more difficult for them to get connecting traffic. Many of these airlines have marketing agreements with several major carriers, although they're not officially in the alliance (VS, for example).

Does this answer your question?
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

UALFAson

Tue May 04, 2004 3:11 pm

Why does it add all that gobbledygook everytime I type in AB) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA (I bet it does it again here.) Any way to stop that from happening? It makes the posts harder to read.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

soaringadi

Tue May 04, 2004 3:15 pm

I don't know what advantages do the airlines get apart from codesharing....
But we can use our miles on any of those airlines in the group (atleast on Star alliance). Also you get to use their lounges etc. Basically UALFAson explained it in detail...... so this is just a shortcut for all that.....
Anyways enjoy  Smile
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos