Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

bmacleod
Topic Author

Remember Pacific Western (PWA)?

Fri May 07, 2004 1:25 am

In the late 1980s, Pacific Western or PWA took over CP air and became Canadi>n Airlines. If AC liquidates, I see something similar happening with Westjet.

yyz717

RE: Remember Pacific Western (PWA)?

Fri May 07, 2004 1:41 am

Are you suggesting tha WJ will take over or absorb AC? Never!

No airline in its right mind would want AC's workforce. The AC workers are the most inefficient airline employees in North America and among the most militant.

WJ's approach of internal growth into AC's territory is the best approach to push AC into liquidation.

When/if AC liquidates, the intl route authority would come available which WJ could apply for.

YOW4NOW

Fri May 07, 2004 1:50 am

PWA had just beein flying into YOW for a short time before they took over CP. I always loved their livery. Pre-Canadi>n airlines, YOW had CP, AC, PWA, Nordair, they all had departures near 5pm everyday and it was nice to see all the different colours lining up. All were 737's, except for AC which was typically 727 or DC-9.

PWA made a huge mistake in taking over CP. At that time, consolidation was the "word du jour" within many business empires. Debt, they figured, was of no consequence. Bigger, Brighter and Better was the cry from the corporate bean counters. Of course, all that debt led to the utlimate demise of such great Canadian carriers; Wardair, PWA/CP, Canada 3000 etc.

I've often wondered how many of these carriers would be around today had they each no constantly try to gobble up the other.

Lucky727

Fri May 07, 2004 2:05 am

Trust Yyz717 to grab the reins & *try to* turn this into a 'Trash AC' thread as soon as possible...  Insane

Yeah, I remember their 732s - flew their YYC-YEG 'shuttle service' a few times - was like a 22-minute flight, with barely enough time for a cup-of-orange-juice-service. They were also regular visitors to YYZ

yyz717

Fri May 07, 2004 2:09 am

Trust Yyz717 to grab the reins & *try to* turn this into a 'Trash AC' thread as soon as possible...

I'm just stating facts and widely held opinions. If you were CEO of a Cdn airline, would you want to absorb AC's unions and inefficient/militant employees?

Whiteguy

Fri May 07, 2004 2:34 am

I wonder if Milton asked himself that same question when he was being pushed into the take over of CP by the governmment.

WrenchBender

Fri May 07, 2004 3:16 am

Oh the days of Peter Wabbit Airlines(or Pray Whilst Aloft). I can remember those Rwy 16 departures out of Edmonton Muni (CYXD) RH 80 deg bank turns over the river valley then north to Fort Mac (CYMM). Oh those where great days. As to WJ taking over AC I think not, WJ is just not ready to takeover all those international flights. Stay with what works and eventually they may get there.

WrenchBender

greasespot

Fri May 07, 2004 3:21 am

I was going to SAIT when westjet was starting and my mom knew the Director of maintenance of Westjet. His words at that point was they got the people they wanted from Canadian/Aircanada......The rest they did not want.

p.s

my Mom and my aunt and Uncle worked for years at PWA and Canadian in YYC

GS

yyz717

Fri May 07, 2004 3:25 am

I wonder if Milton asked himself that same question when he was being pushed into the take over of CP by the governmment.

This is hypothetical because AC was not pushed into buying CP. AC pursued CP and bought it voluntarily. Just one of many strategic errors and blunders by an incompetent AC mgmt team.

Whiteguy

Fri May 07, 2004 3:52 am

Goes along with your liquidation theory. There was nothing voluntary about the whole takeover.

robsawatsky

Fri May 07, 2004 5:11 am

AC did not have to takeover Canadian Airlines, however, it they didn't, it was pretty certain the gov't was going to take steps to ensure continued competition in the marketplace. So, AC felt they were better off taking CA with conditions. Still, their choice.

Goose

Fri May 07, 2004 2:59 pm

AC did not have to takeover Canadian Airlines, however, it they didn't, it was pretty certain the gov't was going to take steps to ensure continued competition in the marketplace.

That happened anyway - competition flourished in the wake of the merger.

Over the years, I've heard plenty of conspiracy theories about how AC was 'forced' into buying CP; none of which pan out when reason or actual facts are applied. People keep saying its true; no-one has yet to tell me concretely how AC was 'forced' or what the conditions were - and what the punishments were to be if AC didn't buy CP. Not a one.

And most of the folks saying that AC was forced to buy CP are, coincidentally, employees of or family of employees of Air Canada.

So why is that? It might be part of a festering blame-everybody-but-ourselves culture at Air Canada, which permeates down from the Management right down, in some form or another, to the front-line folks.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos