Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

4jaded
Topic Author

Hawaiian Vs Aloha

Fri May 07, 2004 11:59 pm

I have had great expereinces on both of these carriers.

My recent SNA-HNL trip on Aloha was the bomb! They had an awsome F Class product! Great service The best food I have ever eaten on a plane EVER! etc etc. While they don't have sleeper seats nor the biggest/best IFE system it was a true pleasure. My HNL-Kona flight was on an old 737. While the service was great the plane looked a bit dated so I kept my seat belt fastened in case they decided to open the roof!

Hawaiian Has new 717's that look sharp! Although I miss the old paint scheme the new one has a certain charm that grows on me at least. I flew them on several interisland flights years ago and always had a great time. I have heard good reviews of there flights to the mainland as well.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these two carriers?
Looking forward to reading what you have to say.

COEWRNJ

RE: Hawaiian Vs Aloha

Sat May 08, 2004 1:37 am

I've only been on HA between HNL and OGG. The way to OGG I got one of their brand new 717's. It was their first week in service and the aircraft was great. The inside was very bright. The in flight crew was great. They managed to get a beverage service around for a 20 min flight which I must say I wasn't expecting. My way back to HNL I had one of their old DC-9's which wasn't horrible. It was showing it's age but still not terrible. Service was still great. I personally love the new HA paint scheme. I really didn't like the old one at all.

ChiGB1973

Sat May 08, 2004 2:11 am

I will fly OGG-HNL tomorrow afternoon on AQ. I have flown HA on the same before. An older 73 also. I am so glad to be on AQ's new 717. Those are awesome planes.

As my norm, I am still hoping for that 717 order from TZ. It will be great to work on them, I hope!

M

nwacrew

Sat May 08, 2004 2:19 am

I flew Hawaiian first class a couple of years ago from Honolulu to San Francisco, and the flight was exceptional.

I've been flying between SFO and the islands for 30 years, and remember some pretty great flights upfront on Pan Am and Western, but the food and service aboard Hawaiian were absolutely top-notch.

FLIBOYZ

Sat May 08, 2004 2:25 am

AQ does NOT have 717s. You probably meant HA. And HA does NOT have 737s.

Personally I LOVE AQ and will continue to fly on them ALL the time. I have come to NOT rely on HA for the past several years. I have given up hope for them. Of course for my OWN personal reasons.

AQs 737-200s are not the least scary. It is well kept and is in good condition. AQ takes care of them pretty well. I flew on AQ from OAK-HNL in First Class and HNL-OAK in Coach Class in March and was AMAZED what I got from the in-flight service. The food was tasty and no complaining on the amount of food you get. Chef Alan Wond and Aloha have done a great job with the in-flight food experience.

And as AQ continues to expand there West Coast service, adding a second OAK-HNL come July 2 and hopefully more with the delivery of more 737-700s
I look forward to flying on them on these routes also.

Aloha is something different in the air and it shows it on there flights. I am glad they are successful.

GO AQ!!!!

Aloha717200

Sat May 08, 2004 2:49 am

I like them both though I've never flown on either carrier. I tell you what though, it sure would be nice to see Aloha grab a few 767s in the future and open up some high-density routes to Hawaii...but economically, the 73G is working out fine and is gorgeous in those winglets.

But wouldn't it be nice to see Aloha with a large plane again? (refering to the one DC-10 they had years ago)

waketurbulence

Sat May 08, 2004 2:54 am

I have been to Hawaii I think 7 times. I have flown on most major US carriers and on Hawaiian as well. On one of my Hawaiian flights we took a DC-10 which was a great experience. On my most recent I flew on a Hawaiian 767. Both a/c were very nice, and the service was great as well. On my interisland flights I have been on HA 717s and DC-9s, both were nice a/c. The 717 was cool because it was so new and very very quiet. One thing I love about HA is the POG. That is my favorite drink and I haven't been on any other airline that serves it. I love HA but I am also excited to try AQ. I live near SNA so hopefully I can catch a flight out of there to Hawaii this summer.
-Matt

UA744KSFO

Sat May 08, 2004 2:57 am

Since I live near SMF and my mom lives in the LA area (BUR is the closest), I take the SMF-BUR flight on AQ often. Even for a quick 50 minute flight within California, I'll take the 73G on AQ anyday! The prices that they offer are actually better than WN in most cases.

ua2162

Sat May 08, 2004 3:01 am

I am a much larger fan of AQ! I have flown them three or four times from KOA-SNA and once from KOA-HNL-BUR. They were exceptional flights! The planes were new and well-maintained, the food was excellent, and the service was awesome.

HA turned me off years ago. They used be known as the airline that was always late; they always seemed to have long delays (I was once delayed in LAX for over 9 hours.) I hear that has changed now and that they offer a great mainland product. Maybe one day I'll fly them to the mainland again.

I did fly them KOA-HNL last month for work and it was an excellent flight. My return flight was the last one out and there was a mechanical problem with the 717. We had to get off the plane and wait for them to bring us another one. With my previous experiences, I thought this was going to take hours. However, they had another plane at the gate in less than ten minutes and the pilot made up for the time we lost in the air. Most impressive.

I still fly AQ interisland when I'm on my own dime. I get UA FF miles and I get to ride in a 732. For mainland service, I still think UA has the best product - although AQ gives them a run for their money.

4jaded
Topic Author

Sat May 08, 2004 6:03 am

Great feedback folks ! Also I did not mean to seriously infer that aloha was dangerous just that my 737-200 looked really old inside. Outside it looked great and as I stated the service was excellent!

JetSaurus

Sat May 08, 2004 6:11 am

I've island hopped with Aloha and was very pleased with the service and equipment. No experience with long haul though.
Jack/GPT

aloha73g

Sat May 08, 2004 9:21 am

Flown on both HA and AQ alot interisland and tot he mainland. As you can tell from my name, I am a die hard Aloha fan.

ALoha has/had a reputation for being the 'on-time' interisland airline, and it used to be true. With the new 717s HA has improved its act and now they are both fairly reliable. Both offer excellent service and have nice F/A's. They both offer Coffee/POG in the morning. After 11am HA offers POG, Aloha offers POG and Coke/Diet Coke. Currently Aloha is MUCH cheaper for interisland flights (AQ cheapest=$65, HA cheapest=$74). I personally find Aloha's check-in area to be much easier to navigate and slightly more organized.

For mainland flights both HA and AQ are better than the rest. I think Aloha's food and service inflight is slightly nicer than HA's--AQ offers free Mai-Tais and gives little amenity kits that include headphones while HA charges $5 for headphones. I personally think that the smaller aircraft makes AQ flights seem more personal and friendly than HA 767s which is why, to me, AQ's F/As seem nicer.

The bottom line is that HA has cleaned up its act interisland and both are now reliable airlines with awesome service. Though I prefer AQ (I'm biased though since I'm in love with them.)

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

wedgetail737

Sat May 08, 2004 11:35 am

I flew SEA-HNL on HA 763 and it wasn't too bad...however, the seat pitch is very small...I think smaller than or equal to G4. The service wasn't too bad...better than my past experience with HA. I wouldn't mind trying AQ's 73G's for a change.

ha763

Sat May 08, 2004 11:54 am

My preference is for Hawaiian and have actually never flown on Aloha, even though I used to work at Aloha and long enough to get flight benefits.

The seat pitch in Hawaiian's 767s range from 30"-32", which is a typical economy seat pitch. As someone who has flown on both the DC-10 and 767 on Hawaiian, the 767 definately has better seat pitch.

tbear815

Sat May 08, 2004 3:48 pm

UA2162 -

I can't count the number of times I've flown SFO-HNL on UA. I've always thought they have/had an incredible product. Of late, however, I've heard nothing but rave reviews about AQ (my favorite inter-island since the F-27's and Viscounts - you figure out what years....). Actually, they both have always been my favorites - together they put some "Aloha" into an airline flight!

copaair737

Sat May 08, 2004 3:58 pm

I like both alot, but I use AQ more often because of the Mainland flights. I always pick them over UA or WN, mostly because they are different. The In Flight service on AQ is top notch. I like HA as well. They are both great airlines.

-Copa
Livin' on Reds, Vitamin C, and Cocaine

ua2162

Sat May 08, 2004 4:03 pm

Tbear815 -

You're post is right on! This is why I'm so torn. My heart says I can fly either airline but my username says otherwise! I have had nothing but great experiences on UA and AQ.

Northwest717

Sat May 08, 2004 11:40 pm

Didn't Aloha order the 757 when it first came out? I remember reading somewhere that they ordered it, but it is obvious they never operated it. Why did they cancel the order?

-Tim
Dubai: Center of the 21st Century

hawaiian717

Sun May 09, 2004 2:52 am

Both airlines offer a better product than their mainland-based competitors, though I do have a preference for Hawaiian. Unfortunately, I'm stuck flying American again for my next trip out there.

Please, Aloha, come to Monterey. Big grin

David / MRY

airbus3801

Sun May 09, 2004 3:29 am

I definetly perfer Aloha over Hawaiian because of the fleet. I took Hawaiian from HNL to Kuai on their 717 and I was just cramped in their for the whole 20min. begging to get off. I had a large carry on backpack which made it even worse. Also, their 717 has a smaller "under the seat in front of you" storage space along the window where I was. Even though they did serve drinks amazingly, the flight attendents didn't look like they were very ready to serve you.

On Aloha on the same flight back. The fake leather seats like on Southwest, had added comfort. Seemed like more legroom and the flight attendents were all very helpfull. I don't remember if they served drinks but i doubt it, but it was a much better experience then on Hawaiian.

ozzie

Sun May 09, 2004 4:01 am

From the looks of the food I would have to say that Aloha is probably the superior product.

aloha73g

Sun May 09, 2004 10:20 am

Aloha and Hawaiian both serve drinks on all interisland flights as long as there is not too much turbulence. A few years ago Aloha reconfigured their 732 aircraft by adding 4 more first class seats and increasing legroom in coach by a few inches. Their 73Gs definately have more legroom (maybe an inch or two) than Hawaiian's 763s or anyother aircraft to the mainland--except AA's MRTC and UA's E+.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

pualani

Sun May 09, 2004 11:48 am

In regards to HA's on time performance....we are #1 for I think the 4th or 5th month in a row. As far as all the extra stuff you get on AQ's flights(headsets,cookies,mai tais),you would need to bribe me to fly 737 trans-pac 5 plus hours. I can see flying a 757 but a 737 has got to be cramped and I would think the turbulence is felt more keenly on such a small plane.I fly the purser position and I get a lot of positive comments about the product we provide in coach and up front. Soon...we will be offering Dig-E-Players which will enhance our entertainment system without the high cost of installing PTVs.

Mahalo, Pualani

hawaiian717

Sun May 09, 2004 1:32 pm

Pualani,

I've done the HNL-OAK flight on Aloha once. It wasn't any worse than any other narrowbody. I've also done SAN-IAD in the A319 and A320 of United. It's really no different than doing the flight in a 757. Just a shorter cabin, which isn't really a problem for me. And being Aloha, of course it's better than, say, American. As far as turbulence goes, my last flight out to HNL was pretty bad the last couple of hours, and that was on an American 767.

And when are your operated by American Eagle code-share flights going to get more price competitive? I'd much rather fly Eagle down to LAX and then transfer to Hawaiian than fly the whole way on AA.

David / MRY

[Edited 2004-05-09 06:33:33]

FLIBOYZ

Sun May 09, 2004 2:06 pm

CRAMPED? On Aloha? Not even close. The Flights I took in March on AQ to and from OAK was wonderful. Lot's of legroom, lot's of space. The OHB were big to accomadate several bags in 1 bin. The ride was like ANY other aircraft. Regardless if it's a 747, 757, 767 or whatever, turbulence is turbulence!!!

AQ has a superb product and has made a name for themselves on the mainland flights. I will continue to fly on Aloha anyday. Regardless if it's a flight across the Pacific ocean.

pualani

Sun May 09, 2004 2:23 pm

Hey David,

If the turbulence was that bad on a 767, can you imagine an a/c as light as a 737 getting bounced around ? I have heard thru grapevine that often some passengers bags get left behind because the a/c is weight restricted. That was before they got some of their a/c equipped with winglets(which looks cool) so I don't know if that happens much now but my flight today PDX-OGG was 6hrs plus and I don't know if a fully loaded 737 could do the flight.

As far as our code share with AM Eagle goes....your guess is a good as mine. I think they are priced for PAX who have the bucks to pay for the luxury of flying to LAX.

pualani

FLIBOYZ

Sun May 09, 2004 2:31 pm

Oh yes it can. I used to fly BOS-SAN on a 738 and in the winter took about
6hrs and 30mins..sometimes 6hrs 45mins. So a 737 CAN make it over 6hrs fully loaded.

No I only wish that AQ starts SAN-HNL/OGG, PDX-HNL/OGG, SEA-HNL/OGG and KOA and LIH.

Aloha717200

Sun May 09, 2004 2:49 pm

I want Aloha SLC-ONT-HNL  Big thumbs up

pualani

Sun May 09, 2004 2:51 pm

Fliboyz....flying BOS-AN / KSAN), USA - California">SAN IS NOT AN ETOPS FLIGHT. There are a lot of F.A.R.s regarding ETOPS. There are a lot of airports between BOS-AN / KSAN), USA - California">SAN to divert to. What airport do you think you can divert to between OAK-HNL or even longer YVR-HNL .....? Your closest alternate is often ITO,KOA or somewhere on the west coast and I am sure passengers love that idea.

pualani

ha763

Sun May 09, 2004 3:24 pm

At best, AQ offers a 32" seat pitch, which is what HA offers. It might be less depending on the first class pitch. You can fit 8 FC seats with a 46" pitch and 118 coach seats with a 32" pitch for a total of 126. AQ flies with 12 FC and 112 coach for a total of 124. Unless AQ's FC pitch is smaller than 46", the space needed for the FC is going to come from coach.

BTW, the AE codeshare with HA only covers Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Fresno, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey.

Aloha717200

Sun May 09, 2004 3:37 pm

KSAN IS NOT AN ETOPS FLIGHT

Erm, that wasn't his point. His point was, the plane has the range. You were talking about weight restrictions and flight lengths, he responded by saying the 737 has the legs for a 6 hour flight. You didn't say anything about ETOPS, and so neither did he.

There is no reason to shout at him.

pualani

Sun May 09, 2004 3:53 pm

Aloha717200...He quoted a 738 can do BOS-SAN fully loaded.Thats great...I didnt mention ETOPs but its understood when traveling West coast to Hawaii that all airlines operating twin-engine a/c have to abide by those regs. Why would he quote about a 738 anyways, their range is even less than 737 ?

pualani

aloha73g

Sun May 09, 2004 5:18 pm

I'm fairly sure AQ has less than 46" inch pitch in First. What I know for sure is that on AQ 73Gs (coach) I have about 2 inches from my knees to the seat in front and on HA 763s I have about half an inch. This is with seat upright and butt all the way back.

AQs 73Gs fly higher than most other aircraft and cruise up around 38 or 39 thousand feet. They used to mention this in on of their videos. I have never noticed turbulence to be more or less than on any other aircraft. My smoothest flights ever were on an AQ 73G and a DL764. My bumpiest flight ever was on a DL764, and boy was it bumpy--we did HNL-SFO in 3:40! I personally don't think the size makes much of a difference in turbulence.

Also when I flew SNA-OGG on AQ in December it was almost 6 hours with a full load and we made it ok.

The bottom line is both airlines are superior than anyone else and interisland are basically the same. For Tans-Pacific HA flies to big cities with big planes. AQ flies to small cities with small planes and offers a slightly more refined product to distinguish itself from the 'Big-Boys'. And I will say again that I prefer AQ, but that's just me.

BTW, congrats to HA for its recent improvement in on-time ratings. I think it is very cool that both HA and AQ have been at the top nationally for this in recent years.

-Aloha!

Aloha717200

Mon May 10, 2004 2:30 am

Why would he quote about a 738 anyways, their range is even less than 737?

If a 738 can do a 6 hour hop and it's range is even shorter than a 73G, then his point is even better made that the 73G can do a 6 hour flight. If a 738 can do it, a 73G can do it better.

He wasn't talking about ETOPS regs. But you know, Aloha does do HNL-YVR, if they can do that I am sure they can reach any west coast city with the 73G.

FullThrottle

Mon May 10, 2004 2:56 am

I have flown AQ interisland and HA from SEA-HNL a bunch. They are both great airlines and I enjoyed all my flights. If I had the choice between the two I would go with HA, this is because I have flown them more. I remember flying the L1011 from SEA-HNL and maybe even a DC8?? The 767 are great aircraft.
The 73G ideal altitude is FL410 I think, while the 767 is only around FL340.

hawaiian717

Mon May 10, 2004 7:08 am

Ha763 wrote:
BTW, the AE codeshare with HA only covers Palm Springs, Santa Barbara, Fresno, San Luis Obispo, and Monterey.

Yep, and I'm in Monterey. What really hurts is that Panda Travel has bulk fares on American for MRY-HNL, as a result it's not worth the drive/hassle of going up to SFO to fly Hawaiian. Would be nice if HA and Panda found a way to get their HA bulk fares to apply on the Eagle flights as well.

David / MRY

ua2162

Mon May 10, 2004 8:56 am

To add to our turbulence discussion...

I have flow AQ to the mainland a number of times. The 737 didn't have more turbulence than other planes I have flown across the pacific. Ironically, the most turbulence I have ever experienced was on a HA L1011. It felt like we were on a roller coaster - this was just my experience, it's obviously not the airline's fault.

As far as HA on time record, this is good news. I know HA struggled with this for many years. People used to say that HAL stood for "Hawaiian always late." This change is a testimony to the workers of HA - they're the ones busting their butts to get the flights off on time. It's just too bad that HA's past performance still influences many people when it comes to booking their trips to Hawaii.

AF022

Mon May 10, 2004 10:30 am

i recently flew PPG-HNL on HA in business, and it was the best flight I had had on a domestic carrier in ages. no competition. the interior of the aircraft was gorgeous, and everything was great. too bad they don't fly transcon - i'm sick of the legacies JFK-LAX - seating is dreadful.

how about a little more pitch on HA and extending the HNL-LAX flights to JFK? I'd taken them over DL or UA or AA anyday.

anthsaun

Sat May 15, 2004 12:17 am

Back in the 80's I used to live in Laie, Oahu and got to fly both HA and AQ for the inter island and mainland routes; well, at the time, only HA flew mainland. Let me tell you that Hawaiian hospitality it has always being well portrayed by both of them. Now, I think they have done a lot better than the larger airlines serving HNL from mainland. And I join my wishes for both airlines to offer more flights, and perhaps bigger planes.

Does any body know if HA is planning new international routes?
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

pualani

Sat May 15, 2004 4:41 am

Aloha Anthsaun, let me guess....you were a student at BYU-HAWAII ? Actually, Hawaiian is the 1st airline of Hawaii so we have been flying inter-island since 1929(75th anniversary this year). International route starting this month is Sydney,Australia.

I had a talk with our V.P of Marketing and he said there are a few cities in Asia we are looking to fly to as well as a city on the East Coast (US). So keep posted....we are slowly and cautiously trying to expand. Hope that answers your questions.

pualani

anthsaun

Sat May 15, 2004 7:35 am

Mahalo, Pualani.

Good info. And yeah, I was a Seasider at BYU.

Till we meet again.
Over 80 years in business say a lot about success

HAL

Sat May 15, 2004 5:14 pm

Pualani,

Did our V.P. of Marketing have anything to say about new planes? This furloughed pilot is anxious to get back. Thanks!

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

IslipWN

Sun May 16, 2004 9:58 pm

Does Aloha do flights from California to Hawaii on 732's? If so, are they nice?

HAL

Mon May 17, 2004 3:49 am

Does Aloha do flights from California to Hawaii on 732's? If so, are they nice?

If they did you'd have to be a very strong swimmer, since the 732's don't have the normal range to fly that far.

All of Aloha's transpacific flights are on the 737-700

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos