Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

COEWR2587
Topic Author

Running Out Of Food On Flight

Sat May 08, 2004 11:01 pm

I was wondering, has anyone been on a flight were they have ran out of food and pax didn't get served? I like flying in the rear of the cabin, but does this increase the chance of not being garenteed a meal service, or do they overcater enough for extras. I've been on flights where they have ran out of a certain selection, but what about food all together?
Newark Airport...My Home Away From Home

mrniji

RE: Running Out Of Food On Flight

Sat May 08, 2004 11:07 pm

but does this increase the chance of not being garenteed a meal service

When I interned with LH and was at the logistics, they told me that they strictly have to offer every pax a meal, even if he is booked short notice (I think they could even be held liable if s/o gets a meal and others not). Hence, it is unlikely that this happens

The same airline permanently runs out of the non-veg options on flight to DEL (happened me twice). Hence, if you insist on a meal time, reserve it in advance (and you will be served first  Smile )
"The earth provides enough resources for everyone's need, but not for some people's greed." (Gandhi)

citationjet

Sat May 08, 2004 11:07 pm

Since most airline don't serve food today, running out of food doesn't happen that often.
As an airline employee we have not been served a meal because of lack of meals.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

4jaded

Sat May 08, 2004 11:31 pm

It has happened to me on a few flights actually,

I must tell you though that these experiences were mostly pre 9/11 when the carriers were actually serving food here in the US.

I have had 4 AA segments where they catering was short
1 America West flight
1 Groupo Taca flight
1 Western Airlines flight
1 Eastern Airlines flight

To be fair to AA in this context however I have taken hundreds of AA flights as opposed to a handful of flights on America West,Eastern,and Grupo Taca.

Now on the other hand I only took one meal service flight on Western Airlines /back in the day/ and it was from ACA to LAX. The food became short because several of the steak meals had roaches in them /under the meat/ including my mothers. Needless to say they didn't have that many extra orders of chicken on board to compensate. The extra protein was not appreciated by the passengers so many decided to do without.
There is many factors and potential for human error and operational issues that will make a certain flight short of meals. While it certainly can be a let down for the passengers that have to go without most would agree that it is better to just get there ontime than wait up to an hour and a half for a few meals especially on shorter flights. I could not imagine however an airline intentionally dispatching a flight across the pond short of meals those segments are just too long.

mats

Sat May 08, 2004 11:37 pm

Airlines used to have "bank meals," which were available in the event that a last-minute passenger showed up. This was a popular item to cut during efforts to control costs.

I was once on an old Pan Am flight from JFK to LAX. I was in the last row of the 747 and there was no food left. The cabin crew scrounged up an assortment of yogurt, cookies, rolls, etc.

On a San Juan-Newark flight aboard Continental there were several first class passengers who did not receive meals. The crew decided that they'd rather take off on time than wait for catering.

But I suppose this is all a moot point. The airlines have decided to starve ALL of their passengers.

SQ25J

Sat May 08, 2004 11:53 pm

As a former non-rev, I was told expect not to get a meal in some cases. A few times I was passed over at first, but then they came back to me with a meal-as a certain percentage of people will pass on a meal. Only once did not get a regular meal on BWIA, however crew gave me some of their sandwhiches. One time me and another non-rev showed up last minute, (without being listed), for a Tyrolean flight. We got the last 2 seats and was shocked when I saw a catering truck pull up to the AC and an agent brought onboard 2 meals.....this is unheard of, yet greatly appreciated!

Jaspike

Sun May 09, 2004 12:06 am

When I was flying LHR-SFO, UA ran out of food for some people in economy. So some lucky people got Business class food, even though business class was totally full - it was a full flight  Smile

Tom

SNATH

Sun May 09, 2004 12:19 am

I was flying Sabena from GLA to BRU in business class (which was full) on an
early morning flight. I was the last person to be served. The ran out of food
and I got the veggie option, even though I hadn't asked for it. I didn't mind, but I
have to say that the sausages the guy next to me got looked really good at
the time...

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

geoffm

Sun May 09, 2004 12:49 am

They certainly run out of your first choice often. Obviously there's no way of predicting what somebody wants though.

However, Emirates ran out of my first choice BHX-DXB - and they'd only served three rows! I couldn't eat the alternative (allergies) so eventually they "found" another meal which was edible. If you push hard enough then they usually find something different (I think they had something like 90% chicken, 5% beef, and 5% alternatives, in addition to the pre-ordered special diets).

Some airlines serve from the back forwards, others from the forward backwards. Is there any benefit in either?

Geoff M.

kilavoud

Sun May 09, 2004 1:02 am

LH run out of chicken in coach on my last flight from Francfort to Chennai (ex-Madras) begin of February this year, although I was not sitting in the back of the plane. So I had a vegetarian meal. It was quite OK. But anyway I am not flying because of the meal, but because of the speed. Meals I always get nice ones from my first class Indian wife !!!!!!  Love  Love

Cheers. Kilavoud.

Sun May 09, 2004 2:36 am

Citationjet: "Since most airline don't serve food today, running out of food doesn't happen that often."

Maybe you flew with the "wrong" airlines, Citation. I was in Doha (6 hrs flight from Frankfurt) with Qatar Airways - and they served twice: lunch and snack, but a snack that would be called "meal" on other airlines.

nomadic

Sun May 09, 2004 2:41 am

This has happened to me several times, all on AA

All but one of the missed meals occurred while in coach. I was seated in the rear of a wide body, twice on A-300s and once on a 767. All three times there was no attempt to come up with something, just the F/As saying there were no meals left. One F/A thought it was funny 'that's what you get for sitting in the back. Another F/A confided to me in private that it was happening a lot. These flights were all before the almost total elimination of most meals.

More recently I was in AA First Class ORD LHR on a 777. I was in the last row of the First Class section. There were no main courses left when it was time to take my order. There was very little effort made to get me something as a substitute. There wasn't even much left in the way of salad or appetizers when the F/As came to my seat. When I expressed my displeasure there was no apology. They simply said on this flight the standard serving order was starboard side window/aisle , middle seats, then port side window/aisle. I just happened to be in the final seat in the serving order. The male F/A said 'luck of the draw, I guess'. I did notice however there were sufficient meals to be sent to the cockpit. I was not very pleased.

In the morning prior to arrival at Heathrow the breakfast was served in the EXACT SAME ORDER. You would think that having missed dinner a F/A would have the courtesy to take my order first. Again, there was very little left to choose from.

By now I was very upset but tried to just shrug it off. I would not starve to death but I was expecting a little more in the way of deluxe service in First Class. The most irritating thing about the whole episode was the fact that I had a reservation in F booked several months in advance and several of the passengers served ahead of me were last-minute gate upgrades.

ACAfan

Sun May 09, 2004 2:53 am

The most irritating thing about the whole episode was the fact that I had a reservation in F booked several months in advance and several of the passengers served ahead of me were last-minute gate upgrades.

How can someone tell if another passenger is an upgraded one?

I usually fly economy. Sometimes I am upgraded to first class. Sometimes I pay for first class if it is reasonable. Whenever i do fly first I cannot tell whether another passenger is an upgrade.
Freddie Laker ... May be at peace with his maker ... But he is a persona non grata ... with IATA

ckfred

Sun May 09, 2004 3:00 am

I have flown AA twice as a non-rev in first class. Going from ORD to BOS, they had only put enough personal pizzas to serve the paying passengers, so I got a sandwich. Coming back, they ran out of chicken, so I had to eat filet mignon.

Once flying ATL-ORD on AA, catering had only put 8 meals on for first, but the first-class cabin was full with 12 passengers. Luckily, it was a 4:30 departure, so some people didn't want dinner. But the F/A asked my fiance if she wanted her Godiva chocolates. I'm guessing that a passenger didn't want a meal, but he did want the chocolates. She whispered to me, "They'd have to pry that loose from my cold, dead hand!"

StarCruiser

Sun May 09, 2004 3:36 am

Years ago when I was working as a ticket salesman for AA two of my co-workers, one's husband and I decided to take a trip from OKC to SFO on AA's new nonstop service. All four of us were non-revving in first. The trip out on a 727-100 was fantastic and on the return we were informed by the F/A that she was sorry but even though we were listed there were not enough meals. The woman with whom I was traveling and I both said it wasn't a problem. Lo and behold, a few minutes later the same F/A said they had raided the JFK nonstop at the next gate and had borrowed two more meals. While everyone else had breakfast, we had the Captain's table filet mignon. Talk about envious eyes from the others!

m404

Sun May 09, 2004 4:37 am

Efficient meal service did include last minute "top offs" by caterers to coincide with totals boarded. Special meals would not be included in this. This has gone by the wayside many times due cutting of personnel by both the carriers and the caterers trying to work in the lower to non-existent yield markets we have today. Uniform non-class meals are often substituted as last minutes from a central "meal Bank".

It's just not like it used to be.
Less sarcasm and more thought equal better understanding

JAFA

Sun May 09, 2004 4:53 am

Working at NW Ihave had this happen once. So the family of three in the last row had to share two FC meals. They said they were satisfied with that.
FC is always catered full, regardless of the scheduled load. We are known to hand out upgrades like water. Sometimes I think the agents think its agaisnt FAR regulations to leave with an empty FC seat.

On a side note, I had a passenger rip open the galley curtain and accuse me of eating the meals that belonged to first class passengers. It was my scheduled crew meal. It was a 12 hour day without any breaks to eat. She still wasn't satisfied that a meal was never scheduled on the EWR-DTW flight at 2:30 in the afternoon.

SK901

Sun May 09, 2004 4:58 am

I have been on been on a BA flight from
STO to LHR, where they did ran out of
food. Some of us had to eat peanuts
instead of real food.
Traveling is living

SQ25J

Sun May 09, 2004 4:58 am

ACAfan-Virtually all major airlines worldwide print departure reports for FA's that has all sorts of info. As technology has progressed most now can indicate an upgraded pax vs. a full-fare first. I have seen some airlines upgrade revenue pax, but advise first class meal not available. Some of the departure reports are very detailed and lengthy. One airline lists acutal FF balance and how many times they have flown.

I have been told a certain airline flying JFK-PBI, FLL would end up being a couple minutes late as it took an eternity to print the 2 departure reports as several dozen pax has wheelchairs and special meals.

soaringadi

Sun May 09, 2004 4:59 am

If the flight that I was on ran out of food, that would be a disaster..... Come on man now we all need the food..... can't live without it...... especially (I know this is weird), but I love airline food (some airlines i.e.). i think that half of my ticket is worth the damn food, and have to get it.... I love to eat.... it's one of my hobbies, and a way to pass away some time.

Damn your post made me hungry... gotta have some food now  Smile

eat a lot, it's healthy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

tbear815

Sun May 09, 2004 6:42 am

I've never been on a flight where they've run out of food, but once from LAX to PVR on WA, I was upgraded and was told that I had to eat a coach meal. Another time from LAX to ACA, again upgraded, the only thing left was duck. I'm not fond of duck, but it was actually good.

Another time on UA SFO/ORD, I heard an F/A speak softly to a passenger that, as she was full fare, she got her first choice of meal. Then the F/A went to high level Premier pax and took their orders. As it was, F was full but no one had to eat an alternate to their choice. It was on this flight that I saw the UA pax print-out that showed fare bases, premier status, special services (i.e. wheelchair, meals), and connex out of ORD. That's pretty good as far as I'm concerned.

dinker225

Sun May 09, 2004 6:46 am

I was on a flight from SFO-SYD 2 years ago. When they began serving breakfast outside of SYD one of the meal carts broke. So they had to use one. By the time they got to the back of the plane where I was we didn't have time to eat as we were already descending into SYD.

Dinker
Two rules in aviation, don't hit anything and don't run out of gas, cause if you run out of gas yer gonna hit something.

dantiger

Sun May 09, 2004 7:11 am

Food? I was on a British Airways flight about five years ago and as we approached LAX I needed a streach. Got up and want to the FA's spot in the rear of the 747 and no one was there. I was thirsty and sort of looked around for some bottled water. Nothing. Saw one unopened bottle om the counter, looked again for a flight attendent (none) an opened the bottle for a drink. As I said I needed a stand up and so stood there sipping their water. All of a sudden a bleached blond middle aged FA came in, looked at me and said "did you take MY water?"
I really thought he was going to make a joke or something. Instead he actually got furious and I thought it still a joke. No he was nasty and I said "well I was thirsty, haven't drank much, you can have it." He glared at me like I had taken the Crown Jewles.
I could not believe his weird childish action.
When we landed at LA I went back to where he was reading a paper and threw a $20.00 bill on his Globe. "Have a good drink in LA I said and went back to my seat. I will never forget his snotty attitude.
Oh yeah food. Don't remember it.

eddieho

Sun May 09, 2004 8:18 am

Food? SAA has tons of it! Especially drinks! I dunno how many times them came round with drinks but definately at least 3 times before the main meal!

They also have tons of leftovers even on a full flight.

If you were still desperately hungry (like I was) after a full meal, they give you lots of unopened dessert that other passengers didn't eat.

Oh - and last time they let me keep 2 bottles of water with me when they went around with their rounds of beverages.

SAA service is still one of the best, especially food, compared to all the other airlines I've been on. They even hand out menus which is really classy.

captaingomes

Sun May 09, 2004 8:31 am

Dantiger, you took a sip out of a stranger's bottle of water, without their permission, and when they catch you and become upset, you say they are weird and childish? It's very strange that you would take a drink out of a complete stranger's bottle of water, then expect them to not be upset.
"it's kind of like an Airbus, it's an engineering marvel, but there's no sense of passion" -- J. Clarkson re: Coxster

JBirdAV8r

Sun May 09, 2004 9:05 am

I did notice however there were sufficient meals to be sent to the cockpit. I was not very pleased.

Alright, would you rather us not eat? I mean, we have a job to do. You don't. I suggest sucking it up.
I got my head checked--by a jumbo jet

chepos

Sun May 09, 2004 9:40 am

It happened to me once on Pan Am 2 on a flight between JFK and PSE via BQN. They ran out of food and they still had a section of the cabin that still needed to be served. I was the last passenger to get a meal (a sandwich), it wasn't all that great so the pax that didn't get a meal didn't miss much.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

ManchesterMAN

Sun May 09, 2004 9:50 am

On flights which offer full meal service order a special meal - they bring it to you before everyone else gets theirs, nice and hot, even has a sticker with your name on it!
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

md80spirit

Sun May 09, 2004 10:02 am

When I worked at a charter airline we were full with pax but had only 92 meals. With 172 pax onboard, it would not be fair to only serve 92 pax. The flight was to be CUN-MKE-DTW. 87 pax got off in MKE. We then served on a very quick flight to dtw the meals to the remaining pax. Most of the pax were collage and high school grads, who had a long party week and airline food was the last thing on there mind.

aussie747

Sun May 09, 2004 10:07 am

Check out the article below.
Source Sydney Morning Herald.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/02/14/1076548274281.html

Qantas has been operating an"under-catering" operation domestically for some time.

cx123

Sun May 09, 2004 10:16 am

I find that most US Airlines are not at generous at meals compared to Asian Airlines.
I know in CX, you can eat what ever you want when ever you want and they carry a lot more to cover different situations!

Also it helps when you have a rice cooker, skillets, grillers, steam oven and espresso machine. I think CX is the only airline have all of these on the 744 and some 340

flyingbronco05

Sun May 09, 2004 11:01 am

On the way back from Kona on AA we never got our meal. We were in first class. They started from the back and by the time they got to the first class section, they were completely out of food. All they had was Diet Coke and Sprite. Then, they had the balls to give out ALL the headsets for the movie to the coach people. Once again, the first class people had nothing. This was the worst service I have ever gotten. Both my mom and dad let them have it during the flight and when we exited the plane.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

jhooper

Mon May 10, 2004 12:59 am

Bronco,

I guess that kind of behavior by your parents flies at AA??? Good thing they don't work for DL... Nonrevs would never dream of complaining that they didn't get served a meal, and expect to keep their pass benefits. It's just not something you do...
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

SJU767

Mon May 10, 2004 1:16 am

Mats:
"On a San Juan-Newark flight aboard Continental there were several first class passengers who did not receive meals. The crew decided that they'd rather take off on time than wait for catering."

The only time that is done is when there are employees sitting in first class.
first Class is always catered according to the actual booking plus 2 extra bank meals, which are in operations just in case.

bacxboys

Mon May 10, 2004 1:26 am

At CX we always carry and order +10 over and above booked load in Y cls out of LHR.
J Class is booked and catered accordingly as is F class.
When F class is empty then F will never be catered and if a Revenue pax just shows up we will try our best to get F class meals but on occasions will serve a J class meal in First.
If staff are listed for the flight we will always include these in the count so everyone gets fed and watered!
But with all airlines if nonrevs turn up without a listing and turn up at check in within -2hours then they will be advised that its last meal service.
CX will never let anyone fly revenue or Non-rev and not get a meal.
And all CX aircraft have Rice cookers fitted.

boysteve

Mon May 10, 2004 8:06 am

This is what happened to me and my fellow passengers flying LAX to DUB on Aer Lingus last November. Whilst taxi-ing at LAX the captain told us that breakfast would be served before an arrival into Dublin that would be 40 minutes early. The next morning as we approached Dublin the captain announced that as arrival into Dublin was 40 minutes early there was no time to serve breakfast, sorry. This was obviously a STUPID thing to say as the 40 minute early arrival was announced before we'd got into the air at LAX! One of the cabin crew told me off the record that only half of the breakfasts had been loaded at LAX and so rather than serve half the passengers they'd decided to serve none at all, a point I understand. I wrote and complained to Aer Lingus but never received a reply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The entertainment systems fitted into the back of every economy class seat on the Aer Lingus A330 aircraft were fantastic, the 10 hour flight passed quickly and the food on the outward leg, DUB to LAX was good. However for not responding to my complaint, even if this situation was a one-off, means I will never fly Aer Lingus again. If any representatives of the airline read this then please feel free to e-mail me on [email protected],com

TransIsland

Mon May 10, 2004 8:27 am

Non-revving, it's happened to me on occasion that I and other non-rev pax didn't get food. As a full fare passenger, I can only recall one flight, where BA "forgot" to load food altogether. That was London-Heathrow to Nassau/Bahamas in December 2003.

[Edited 2004-05-10 01:30:18]
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos