IslipWN
Topic Author

What Happened To Delta Express?

Mon May 10, 2004 6:00 am

I'm sure this question has been brought up before, but what happened to delta express? Did song take over?
joey

trident2e

RE: What Happened To Delta Express?

Mon May 10, 2004 6:01 am

Pretty sure it became Song.

scottysair

Mon May 10, 2004 6:43 am

Yes, it is tookover with Song and after Delta Express are no longer use with their operation.

ssides

Mon May 10, 2004 6:47 am

I think Delta Express died out before Song was launched, isn't that the case? There really isn't much of a connection between the two -- Delta Express used 732s, while Song uses 752s.
"Lose" is not spelled with two o's!!!!

OttoPylit

Mon May 10, 2004 6:53 am

Delta Express was declared unprofitable after the DALPA contract negotiations in 2000. DLX was a working model for low fare flights to-from FL and the Northeast. It was based with older 737-200's and was fitted with an all coach configuration, normally 120 seats. No meals or other frills were offered, just peanuts and beverages. But the pilots were paid less than normal mainline pilots, and that was one of the bargaining chips that the union used during negotiations and one of the pieces that management was willing to adjust. I am not sure if DALPA wanted those 732 pilots to be paid as much as mainline or not, but after the contracts were signed and the ink dried, it was found that DLX was no longer profitable paying the pilots with the pay increase.

It was around that time that Jetblue began to get a lot of press with its new airline that was starting, so it was decided that there needed to be something equal, if not better, to maintain market share. Therefore, Delta Express was phased out and Song was developed.
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

IslipWN
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 7:05 am

But howcome song doesnt serve all of the destinations that Delta express served.....like Islip.

ConcordeBoy

Mon May 10, 2004 7:08 am

For one thing, capacity. Each song flight is a nearly 80 seat increase.
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

FLAIRPORT

Mon May 10, 2004 7:14 am

Also, can ISP hold a 757? Never undestood why PVD never got song!
at the tail end of DLX, they phased to Song with Delta 757s serving as DLX. I beleive the last DLX route served by 732s lasted until late 2003 MCO-PVD. the last time i saw DLX was when it was changing to song in 2003 FLL-BDL. it wqas a 757. (new c/s not song c/s).
NEXT FLIGHT: FLL-ATL-HPN on FL

SHUPirate1

Mon May 10, 2004 7:19 am

Keep in mind also that DLEX was aimed more at WN, whereas Song has jetBlue in the crosshairs...actually, there is no longer any mainline service at ISP with the exception of WN (a true embarassment, but that's another story, probably better off asking NIKV if you ask me...)...
Burma's constitutional referendum options: A. Yes, B. Go to Insein Prison!

IslipWN
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 7:21 am

Yes Islip can hold 757's. I've seen one there before. I think it was a delta. Around the holidays, we get a 757,and once...Only once I've seen a private 767 (RARE) every once in a while. Its a real treat. Actually I believe when carnival used to operate from Islip, we used to get an airbus every couple of weeks.

DLX737200

Mon May 10, 2004 7:39 am

I really miss DLX. It was on DLX that I took my first flight that made me so interesting in aviation, hence the reason for my user name on A.net. I was very disappointed to see them go. I even more disappointed when Song was not placed in Indianapolis. It was MCO-IND that I took my first DLX flight. Thanks to that flight, I now have a huge interest in aviation. Not only were they declared unprofitable in 2000, but in 2001, 9/11 forced DLX to cut it's flights down 25-50% due to the severe cut in flying passengers. Many routes, like my MCO-IND, went from 3 flights or more a day down to 1 or 2 daily. Then shortly after, DLX was cut and Song was in the making.  Sad

Farewell DLX! Thanks for the memories!

-DLX737200

AirT85

Mon May 10, 2004 8:23 am

In regards to Islip:

My grandmother worked there for USAir (it was still USAir at the time) for several years before they pulled the mainline out and handed it over to WN (haha)...anyway...on several occasions she saw United 747s land at Islip on weather diversions. The airport can handle 757s with no problem  Big grin

-Tony
Why would God make us all so different, if He wanted us to be the same?

IslipWN
Topic Author

Mon May 10, 2004 9:24 am

That is very true. Why do they still use some of the aircraft in their main fleet? I thought that by now they would have gotten rid of some of them. Who uses the last gate in ISP that delta express used to use?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos