Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airbus3801
Topic Author

China Southern Horror Stories

Thu May 13, 2004 7:42 am

My family's friend who lives in China, was flying China Southern and they oversold his flight, instead of doing something like "if you give up your seat you get a free ticket", they simply put fold out chairs in the aisle and left you to fend for you self when takeoff and landing came. Is this at all true or have any of you had a similar experience?

chilledflyer

RE: China Southern Horror Stories

Thu May 13, 2004 7:53 am

[email protected]
Why not put them in the toilets...it's sort of a private cabin!  Laugh out loud

Ok.....on a more serious note....I have to say I have never been too keen on flying Mainland Chinese Airlines...remembered back in 92, I took China Eastern from HKG-TAO-HKG, I have to say it was scary. The window blind 'folds' up instead of sliding up and the reclining seat button is somehow stuck therefore I had to have my seat reclined throughout the flight. Thought not complaining about that during the flights, but I do have to say I had to pretend that the seat was in the up-right position during take-off and landing...!!

Just out of interest, where's your friend flying to?
--Chilledflyer--
Justice delayed, Justice denied

airbus3801
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2004 7:55 am

I don't know where he was flying but it was I think an international flight. He was one of the people in the fold out chairs and almost flew backwards on takeoff and the chair flipped forward on landing Big grin

chilledflyer

Thu May 13, 2004 8:03 am

OMG...one of the people in the fold-out chairs...So there's more than 1  Nuts
Now that's shocking but would be interesting to try it out sometime.  Laugh out loud

--Chilledflyer--
Justice delayed, Justice denied

Airbus Lover

Thu May 13, 2004 8:07 am

Sounds bulllshit to me...

As bad as many's impression on Chinese carriers are, if you try them they're actually not that bad...

Most people who badmouths those carriers haven't even flown on those themselves.

luisca

Thu May 13, 2004 8:13 am

I just can not believe the fold out chair story. Even if we are speaking of China, they have to comply to at least international safety standarts. And if your freind is from a foreign country the bad publicity would be huge. I just cant believe it. If it is true why doesnt he complain to ICAO
If it ain't Boeing (or Embraer ;-)) I ain't Going!

airbus3801
Topic Author

Thu May 13, 2004 8:21 am

"I just can not believe the fold out chair story. Even if we are speaking of China, they have to comply to at least international safety standarts. And if your freind is from a foreign country the bad publicity would be huge. I just cant believe it. If it is true why doesnt he complain to ICAO"

As I said, I am not sure if he was flying internationally. And why would the publicity be huge.. this also was a few years ago

"Sounds bulllshit to me...

As bad as many's impression on Chinese carriers are, if you try them they're actually not that bad...

Most people who badmouths those carriers haven't even flown on those themselves."

You weren't even on the flight and my uncle who is a President of a major division at General Mills who is only home 2 days a week, concurs with my friends story.

[Edited 2004-05-13 01:23:07]

[Edited 2004-05-13 01:25:55]

ACES320

Thu May 13, 2004 8:22 am

Well you have to find some room for 1.5 billion people. That's the aisle

Acting devilish
LHR, BHX, EDI, BKK, USM, CNX, PHU, GRU,PEI, BOG, CTG, CPH, AMS, DOH, DXB, FRA, MAD and always PEI

warren747sp

Thu May 13, 2004 8:31 am

It is quite possible if they are flying out of a regional or local airport in China.
I doubt they will allow this from a major hub.
747SP

geekydude

Thu May 13, 2004 4:02 pm

Hold on a minute people! That must have been a bad joke. I can't imagine any crew in the right mind would allow such a ridiculous thing to happen; and any passenger in the right mind would take such a "fold-out" option. I've taken China Southern multiple times domestically myself; full flights are the order of the day during major holidays, but never ever have I witnessed or even heard of passengers being offered fold-out chairs or anything for that matter. Fold-out chairs indeed exist with some ill regulated intercity (mostly urban-rural) bus services, but NOT inside airplanes. If you go visit China someday, I suggest you do, you will find a lot of your conjectures about the country are very much unjustified.
FLIB 152 'heavy' low approach...Caution wake turbulance!

babaero

Thu May 13, 2004 4:17 pm

Some may doubt this, but in mid nineties I flew CAN-HKG sector weekly.
Following are a couple of incidents I witnissed

On take off from CAN in 767 the stewardess was still pushing cat up aisle serving peanuts and coke. Cart fell over at rotation and hostie was on floor. Once airborne she got up and 2 people lifted cart up, the continued service

On arrival into HKG on 737, as pax were getting up as plane was still taxing, the overhead bin was opened, and a rather large case fell out stricking a pax head and knocking him out cold. Hosties attitude was to let aircraft arrive on gate let all paxs off and then see to passenger.

On take off on a 757 the safety demo was an old canadian airlines tape from a leased 767. interesting showing demo for 2 aisles when you had 1 aisle

Finally inflight Kareoke on 767

AZ

Thu May 13, 2004 4:42 pm

I've been flying all over China for more than 20 years.

Guys, this story is simply not true.

C'mon.

Daniele

http://www.aviationjet.com

Whisperliner

Thu May 13, 2004 4:44 pm

that is total bullshit...I have flown China Southern many times while in China on their domestic routes for the last 3 years, and they are very professional- in fact the inflight service was better than I have experienced on a US domestic airline. I have never even a folding chair on board (yea, they must have a stack of those somewhere in the closet right?..along with the seats that consist of wooden benches)

China Southern is considered one of the larger and better airlines in China, and I have even flown on the lesser known and smaller lines such as China Southwest, and never had I seen or heard from any other colleagues about anything that was below standard.

I am sure any educated person can deduce that there is no basis in reality for such a preposterous story.

JGPH1A

Thu May 13, 2004 5:10 pm

Possibly the "Fold Out Seats" were crew jumpseats ? These do flap down from the bulkheads, and are not normally used for pax, but can be.
Young and beautiful and thin and gorgeous AND BANNED ! Cya at airspaceonline.com, losers

N754PR

Thu May 13, 2004 5:18 pm

I would fly on the Chinese airlines anyday but I have to say the things you see in China are shocking.... 10 - 20 years ago I would not be shocked to see people sitting in the aisle.
Bush, your a sad, sad man.

senliture

Thu May 13, 2004 5:25 pm

What i heard from my friend was, CZ is one of the worst airline in the world. He had an experience 2 years ago, from CAN-HKG. It should be a short flight, less than an hour flight, but with 2 aborted takeoff (emergency braking) and a switch of aircraft, the flight end up with a 17 hours delay. 17 hours is enough for you to catch a train or a coach from CAN to HKG, return, already. He sweared he will never choose CZ anymore. Do I believe him? Yes, he's my mate at school.

Senliture

AC

Thu May 13, 2004 5:35 pm

I have travelled with some domestic flights in China for the past 5 years. I would conclude that most of them are operating professionally (although I cannot deny some of their inflight services are poor).

I feel most of the unprofessional things happened are mostly done by passengers. I had come across a scene that two passengers were still searching for an empty seats when the flight has taxied to runway simply because their seats have been occupied by the handcarry bags (many and many big bags!!) of others.
I Believe I Can Fly...

dutchjet

Thu May 13, 2004 7:35 pm

Its hard to believe, but who knows? I have been on flights in China where 20 or more pieces of excess carryone baggage (that would not fit into the bins) was simply stacked in front of emergency exits, where passengers were out of their seats during taxi, and during the landing, with no repsonse from the f/a, where safety videos were shown 20 minutes after take-off, etc. This experience sounds very extreme, but it could be possible. Were the folding chairs set up in coach or business - maybe the folding chairs were an upgrade! (just joking).

cchan

Fri May 14, 2004 3:56 am

The larger Chinese airlines, whether you like them or not, do meet some international standards, including not putting out folding chair. If this story is true, I wouldn't be surprised if I see folding chairs onboard a China Airlines A340!

carnoc

Fri May 14, 2004 9:48 am

Well, the only thing I would say is that if you have evidence to prove it has really happened, then report to the Civil Aviation Administration of China, and I'm sure they would get a team rush to Guangzhou (where CZ's HQ is based) to do a full investigation.

Cheers.

tu154m

Fri May 14, 2004 10:13 am

Flown with China Southern twice no problems at all. In fact, a very nice airline that i would not hesitate to fly on again.
S
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

pilottim747

Fri May 14, 2004 10:41 am

I've flown CZ twice on domestic China routes. Personally I think some of the other domestic Chinese carriers are better and more professional. All my experiences are from one trip in 2000 when I flew Air China PEK-XIY on a new B772, China Northwest XIY-CKG on a new A320, China Southern WUH-SHA on a B752, Xiamen HGH-KWL on a new B73G, and China Southern KLW-CAN on a B735.

My experiences on CZ were the worst on domestic China routes, however, they weren't bad at all. Service was fine and so was the food. On the B752 from WUH-SHA there was one seat that didn't work and was stuck in a a forward position. Otherwise the flights were pretty normal. The B752 didn't have overhead fans (like on some other airlines) so they FAs passed out fold out fans.

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

jfkYYZ

Fri May 14, 2004 11:56 am

I find the story with the fold out chairs to be unbelievable. I've flown from PEK to YNJ (Yanji) twice on CZ, and never once was a fold out chair brought out. But pax have stood up when the planes were taxing, and at least once the F/A firmly put them in their place.

I see this as complete stereotyping that Chinese products are possibly cheap, inferior or of a lesser class compared to airlines in Europe or North America. Sure they may be less quality, but they do meet international standards and my flights were certainly fine.

Airbus3801, I hope one day you get to fly CZ and see if they pull out a fold out chair for you.

Cheers!  Smile
j. in YYZ

n757kw

Fri May 14, 2004 12:22 pm

Well, in 1992 I flew on China Northwest from Xian to Hangzhou on a BAe-146. The flight was completely full. There was 2 men, not flight crew members, they were passengers sitting in the rear of the aircraft. It was hard to tell, but I assumed they were sitting in the F/A jumpseats. They were not sitting in any passenger seats. They were there for the entire flight.

Now, the service was good on China Northwest and on China Eastern. The flights were fine. I especially enjoyed being able to walk on the ramp for boarding and deplaning.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

ozzie

Fri May 14, 2004 12:26 pm

I too must doubt this story. The ICAO would ban CZ for such actions, something they do not hestitate to do with other airlines.

airbus3801
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2004 12:27 pm

I have more information about this flight. It was twenty years ago on a short domestic flight. So all of you who don't believe saying I have flown China Southern from the last so and so years... IT WAS TWENTY YEARS AGO... I wouldn't even think of China Southen doing that today.

FoxBravo

Fri May 14, 2004 12:46 pm

Airbus3801, China Southern didn't even exist 20 years ago...well, technically I guess it was the Guangzhou division of CAAC, but the China Southern name wasn't used until 1988.

Anyway, even if the story is true, it's really not fair to compare the CAAC of the early 80s--which was universally regarded as awful--to the major airlines in China today (China Southern, Air China, China Eastern, etc.). From my experience with Air China and China Eastern on domestic flights, their service, food, etc. compared favorably to the U.S. majors, and I had no reason to suspect that their safety standards were any different.
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

airbus3801
Topic Author

Fri May 14, 2004 12:50 pm

Airbus3801, China Southern didn't even exist 20 years ago...well, technically I guess it was the Guangzhou division of CAAC, but the China Southern name wasn't used until 1988.

Anyway, even if the story is true, it's really not fair to compare the CAAC of the early 80s--which was universally regarded as awful--to the major airlines in China today (China Southern, Air China, China Eastern, etc.). From my experience with Air China and China Eastern on domestic flights, their service, food, etc. compared favorably to the U.S. majors, and I had no reason to suspect that their safety standards were any different.

Did I ever say I was comparing the airline???? I was just asking if anyone had had a similar experience.

Spaceman

Fri May 14, 2004 1:05 pm

Wow I'd say your friend has been a lucky sob. They should have told him to lay on the floor during the flight. A folding chair, umm what a luxury.

CPDC10-30

Fri May 14, 2004 1:10 pm

I can't say anything about China Southern, but with my parent's experience on China Yunnan pax were treated like kings when the flight was delayed for 6hrs due to weather. All pax were put up in a 4-star hotel and given a free lunch at the hotel.

This story about China Southern sounds a like someone trying to perpetuate a stereotype.

[Edited 2004-05-14 06:11:21]

jfkYYZ

Fri May 14, 2004 1:15 pm

Yeha, definitely perpetuating stereotypes. I'm glad that Airbus3801 stated after that it was 20 years ago. Well I guess some people have some set ideas of how flying is out there in China.
j. in YYZ

AC

Fri May 14, 2004 2:10 pm

It would be less suprising for me if it happened 20 years ago.... at that time China is much less developed...

Then I would like to ask anyone has experienced similar situation in other countries in the past, say also 20 years ago?
I Believe I Can Fly...

Whisperliner

Fri May 14, 2004 4:21 pm

gee Airbus3801, now you tell us it was 20 years ago! Then shouldn't the title of your post be "CAAC horrorstories"?

hehe...I think I will post the next one as "KLM horror stories", here goes:

I have a friend who flew KLM, and they patched the wings of the plane with cloth!! also there were exposed struts and wires all over the plane. And they gave us chairs that were made out of wicker!! and there was no lavatory. So uncivilized. has anyone else have this type of experience??

Next post...
Oh btw, that was 80 years ago, when my grandpa flew klm in europe! how dare you people not believe my story??

9v-svc

Fri May 14, 2004 6:49 pm

Personally I flew on China Southern ,Air China and China Eastern, the best airline to me has to be China Southern. I have nothing but great domestic and regional flights with them.
Airliners is the wings of my life.

docpepz

Fri May 14, 2004 7:02 pm

I find this story to be simply untrue. I have flown China Eastern before and while they may not be the best, they do at the very least follow international air safety standards.

If they continue to sell tickets at 60% of SIA's prices to China, I wouldn't mind taking them again.

chrisrad

Fri May 14, 2004 9:22 pm

The larger Chinese airlines, whether you like them or not, do meet some international standards, including not putting out folding chair. If this story is true, I wouldn't be surprised if I see folding chairs onboard a China Airlines A340! China Airlines belongs to Taiwan not China.....
Welcome aboard Malaysia Airlines! Winner of Best Cabin Staff 2001,2002,2003,2004,2007,2009,2012

airmale

Fri May 14, 2004 9:38 pm

Taiwan is Chinese, even though they(govt.) have cut themsleves off from the mainland.
.....up there with the best!

supersonic78

Sat May 15, 2004 1:07 am

oh guys, i had some hard laughs about all the stories  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

actually i kind of believe this story with the foldable chairs, as my father travelled a lot in china, on domestic routes, and everytime he came back from a business trip, he started with another storie about chinese domestic airlines, and i tell you, it was horrible but we had to laugh anyway  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

i can imagine that it's like Aeroflot domestic, because as long as they fly domestic they dont need to observe international rules...
for example, SU had regular fridges in their galleys and i even heard that people board without having a seat, so they stand all the flight long, and this is not bullshit !  Nuts

ushermittwoch

Sat May 15, 2004 1:11 am

I have to agree with Supersonic on the Aeroflot part.

There is also video footage of people sitting in the aisles out there. I've seen it on TV. But it was filmed in the mid 80's.
Where have all the tri-jets gone...

supersonic78

Sat May 15, 2004 1:14 am

me again, i just checked www.cs-air.com, and i have to say, the page is very nice, informative and professional... i didn't know they have such a big fleet and modern aircrafts... so i def have my doubts about the story  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

AC

Sat May 15, 2004 4:08 am

There is also video footage of people sitting in the aisles out there. I've seen it on TV. But it was filmed in the mid 80's

Do anyone know where can I d/l this (or similar) video on web? Really interested to know how the people on asiles react during take-off and landing.
I Believe I Can Fly...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos