Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Who's Interested?: Visit To Boeing Display Center

Tue May 18, 2004 3:01 am

Hey guys.. I was talking to Moolies who may be coming in to SEA from South Africa around the 1st of July and I am in the process of arranging a visit for him & I to the Boeing Display Center in Tukwila. My question for you guys is, I think I may be able to expand it and make it a group visit if there are enough of you guys who are interested.

The Boeing Interior Display Center is run through Teague, one of our contractors, and it is used for informational purposes, and for sales & marketing. It's a warehouse that has full-size mock-ups of the major Boeing aircraft so that airline customers can come and get a feel for the interior of the aircraft. They are also configured so that the airlines can get a comparision of how the Boeing family of aircraft compares to their Airbus counterparts. (i.e. the 777 mock-up divides part way back and shows how a comparative A340 is laid out)

SO... who of you in the Seattle area, or those who are willing to come into town, or are interested in a tour of the Boeing Interior Display Center? There is no cost for the tour and it would be a great way to meet our fellow aviation enthusiasts.

Let me know..

Steve

Note: the tour would be of the full display center with the exception of the 7E7 mock-up. There is a SLIGHT chance that you'd be able to see the 7E7, but I think that for the most part, it is Boeing-only and for selected airline customers. So I can't promise anything, but maybe if we're a particularly good group, they might give us a sneak peek...
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

DfwRevolution

RE: Who's Interested?: Visit To Boeing Display Center

Tue May 18, 2004 3:05 am

Sounds awesome, I've got a RapidRewards ticket Id consider using to get a high quality tour...

Any idea of date?
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 3:28 am

the date would be around the end of June/early July. I can't promise the quality, I make no promises whatsoever.

But if people were coming in from out of town, I'm sure that in addition to the Interiors Display Center, we could arrange other tours such as Everett (747/767/777 Assembly), Renton (737/757 Assembly), a trip to the Museum of Flight, etc...

So like I said, this is far from a done thing.. I'm basically gauging interest right now.

caetravlr

RE: Who's Interested?: Visit To Boeing Display Cen

Tue May 18, 2004 3:31 am

I would have to check on class/work schedules, but I have an award ticket or two to use also (not sure about blackout dates for those right now either), but it is definitely something I would consider. Thanks for the heads up!
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

aerobalance

Tue May 18, 2004 3:32 am

Sounds Great!

Count me in.

Tony
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

CXA340

Tue May 18, 2004 3:43 am

I would be very interested to see this. I have a number of friends at Boeing, even an ex, and I still haven't been able to get into that warehouse to see the mock-ups.

Type-Rated

Tue May 18, 2004 3:53 am

I would be interested as well. How long would this tour be? I think adding other tours as BCAInfoSys suggests would make this it a fantastic opportunity!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 4:15 am

Yeah.. the Interiors Display Center tour is fairly short, I would estimate around 1 - 1.5 hours. If we add in tours of the Delivery Center at BFI, the widebody assemblies at PAE, and a trip to the Mueseum of Flight, then we definitely have probably 2 full days of aviation goodness right there!

So anyway guys, let me know if you are serious about this, and feel free to e-mail me, so we can work out specifics.

Type-Rated

Tue May 18, 2004 4:22 am

Well, the first thing we need to do is get some specific dates going. The first week in July is the 4th of July holiday, horrible time to non-rev. But then not everyone who is interested can non-rev. (Myself included).
Then once we find out how many can make it, we need to find a place to stay.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 4:41 am

Well let's see how many people are interested, and then we can start working out specifics. Does anyone want to volunteer to help me coordinate this?

Type-Rated

Tue May 18, 2004 5:11 am

I have a "lull" in my schedule coming up soon, I would be more than glad to help any way I can.

JrMafia90

Tue May 18, 2004 5:14 am

I could fly out there. But I have to know the exact. It has to be before July 10 because I am leaving for Italy that day. So let me know when it is and I would love to fly out there.

NWFltAttendant

Tue May 18, 2004 5:20 am

I could definently get out there for that.. let me know if this happens... gotta love the non-rev bennies !
Go yakkin !!!!!!

WindowSeat

Tue May 18, 2004 5:32 am

I wouldn't want to lose this opportunity for anything. So, count me in!
I can also help you co-ordinate. Since I work for a hotel corp., I might be able to get a good rate for out of town people including myself. Let me know how I can help.

Also, would it be a weekday or weekend? I am assuming it will be two days regardless of w'day or w'end.

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 5:39 am

Well I don't know what the tour schedule is for BFI/PAE, but I know that the Teague display center is NOT open on weekends. So if BFI/PAE are open on the weekends, we could do Teague on Friday and BFI/PAE on Saturday?

Just one option. And WindowSeat, any help you can provide with accomodations would be GREAT!

Alright guys, it seems like we have a fair amount of interest. Lets continue to gauge this, make some preliminary plans and then get some things delegated out to various people.

I'll see if I can get Josh (Ulfinator) to help with the planning.

Steve

WindowSeat

Tue May 18, 2004 5:46 am

Sounds good, I'll research hotels in the area and see what I can do. What is a good location to stay for this visit? Of course, before I even approach hotels in our company, I'd need dates. btw, they can work out deals on some days better than others, but I'd need a ballpark range of two weeks. Another good thing is that I can go in to the back end systems of our hotels and see what they are like during that time, so the properties can't lie to me if they are full are not Big grin

cheers

I'm all in favour of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with keyboards.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 5:50 am

Well we'll go with the dates that are best for the group/majority. But if we can work it around Moolies' dates, given that he is coming all the way from South Africa, let's try to accomodate him as much as possible.

As far as location for the hotel, it's a toss-up. Boeing is spread out pretty well north-south of Seattle along Puget Sound. One item I have yet to consider is transportation within the Seattle area. I.e. if you got hotel accomodations in the Tukwila/Southcenter/Renton area, cabs would probably be a reasonable option for Teague, BFI, Renton (737/757), etc... but would not be a good choice for Everett. And I think Everett is gonna be the big attraction for a lot of you guys. So I think we might have to consider car rentals or something along those lines.

Any suggestions guys?

Also: If any of you that are interested can provide a week-window that is good for you, we can try to coordinate a 2-3 day plan which will accomodate as many people as possible. I think the general time window is late June/early July. Lemme know...

[Edited 2004-05-17 22:51:15]

ual747den

Tue May 18, 2004 6:01 am

I would love to fly out for that. As mentioned it will be hard for all of un Non-Rev people to get on a flight during the 4th weekend. If we could do it mid week that would be better. I can try to help out with hotel and ground transportation but it does no good until we have dates. I think it might be a good idea to arrange a time to discuss this in the chat room that way everyone that wants to do this can have input. BCAinfoSys, please post a time for everyone that wants to go to meet in the chat area so we can iron out the details.

Great Idea!!!
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 6:04 am

Alright.. I dunno if this works for everyone, but if as many of you as possible can make it, I think tonight at 6:00 pm Pacific works for me to meet in the chatroom to discuss details.

Or if any of you want to get ahold of me via IM, you can do that too.

MSN: [email protected]
AIM: SteveAtUSU

WindowSeat

Tue May 18, 2004 6:39 am

6 pm Pacific is great.

UAL747DEN, yeah i am not non-revving either...lol, that is to say, I'm paying to fly out there, so mid week may be better, tickets are not very expensive from New York LGA.

cheers

SUPRAZACHAIR

Tue May 18, 2004 7:07 am

This sounds awesome, I think my cousin would wanna check it out to. Any time works for me as I'm a local. I just gotta work around my flying schedule, but it shouldn't be a problem. I'll try and get on the chat tonight, just have to get my brother off to baseball practice.

So if I don't see anyone tonight: any time is good, and add 2 people for me and my cousin.

notsofrqntflr

Tue May 18, 2004 7:46 am

I am interested, please keep posted regarding the dates.
Filip

WindowSeat

Tue May 18, 2004 7:48 am

NotSofrqntFlr,

WOW, you're flying in from Poland? And I thought me flying from New York was a big deal!!

cheers

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Tue May 18, 2004 8:35 am

alright guys.. something has come up, so I can't make it for the meet in the chatroom night. You guys should still meet, and then copy and paste the contents of the chat, or e-mail me a quick summary of what you guys decided. Lemme know..

Steve

roseflyer

Tue May 18, 2004 8:49 am

Sounds great. I would love to participate too. I might even be working at the Museum of Flight this summer as well. Thanks, Steve.
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

WindowSeat

Tue May 18, 2004 8:53 am

see you guys on chat at 9pm Eastern/6pm Pacific

cheers

WindowSeat

Tue May 18, 2004 9:53 am

we're on chat NOW! if anyone is interested.

cheers

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2004 12:49 am

OK guys, sorry for missing the chat. "Other" things came up which required my attention.  Big grin

Well I got some more information. The Teague tours are on a scheduled basis, Monday-Friday. So the time is somewhat flexible when we schedule the tour. The Everett 747/767/777 tour runs Monday-Friday, with tours beginning at: 9 am, 10 am, 11 am, 1 pm, 2 pm, & 3 pm.

So we could probably do Everett and the Interiors Display Center on the same day. If you guys wanted to do the Meuseum of Flight, that's EASILY another half day or day, depending on how long you wanted to spend there. And then, for those of you not from Seattle, I'm sure a day of general tourist activities might be enjoyable.

Anyway, just some thoughts. I guess I was just wondering if this is all a hypothetical excercise, or if this is gonna happen. Lemme know how interested/serious you guys are.  Smile

Steve

adriaticus

Wed May 19, 2004 12:58 am

I am indeed interested. My attendance would depend mostly on the dates. Steve, thanks for this opp.

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21/30/32/88 An24 ATR42/72 B721/2 B732/3/G/8/MAX B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 B788/9 Concorde DC8/9/10 E45/70/75/90/95 IL62/86 MD10-30/11 SA340/2000 TU134/154

roseflyer

Wed May 19, 2004 1:06 am

WindowSeat and I talked about it last night, and were looking at June 25th-June 27th (Fri-Sun) as a possibility to avoid the July 4th air travel and tourist crush. Everett and Display center on Friday. Museum on Saturday or whatever could work out.

Where is the display center (Renton, BFI)? Everett is a long drive from downtown Seattle, especially with traffic, but it could work out well.

Thanks Steve
If you have never designed an airplane part before, let the real designers do the work!

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2004 1:36 am

No problem guys.

The Interior Display Center is in Tukwila, not too far from the Southcenter Mall. Everett is indeed a long drive, which is one of my primary logistical concerns right now. Transportation to/from the various attractions which are spread out over a relatively-wide geographical area, which would make transportation by cab cost prohibitive. The only thing I can think of is that I can get 3 people besides myself into my Camry...  Big grin

caetravlr

Wed May 19, 2004 2:08 am

I am thinking if enough people come, one or two groups of people could also split the cost of a rental car. I have been up to do the factory tour when I had a client out there, and while it is a little bit of a drive, it is not all that bad.
A woman drove me to drink and I didn't have the decency to thank her. - W.C. Fields

BigMac

Wed May 19, 2004 2:20 am

I am also (very) interested. I'll keep an eye on this thread. Props to whoever came up with the idea.
To fly, or not to fly: that is the question

aerobalance

Wed May 19, 2004 2:29 am

My interest will not wane whatsoever.
"Sing a song, play guitar, make it snappy..."

Type-Rated

Wed May 19, 2004 2:44 am

I'd be willing to rent a mini-van for this trip. Maybe someone else could do the same and we would have the ground transport problem solved.
I have't been to SEA in at least 20 years! I'd be glad to see other sites around the town as well.

Type-Rated

Wed May 19, 2004 2:47 am

I also think that maybe June 29 & 30 may be better as I think on Saturday the Museum of Flight will be crowded. Mid week is always better for these type of places. Airfares would be cheaper too! Comments, please.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2004 2:53 am

OK.. I like the mini-van idea, if you guys can find a way to split the costs. I can also fit 3, so if we over-flow, that works. Sounds like we've got the ground transport solved. WindowSeat, what kind of costs are we looking at for accomodations?

n685fe

Wed May 19, 2004 3:18 am

Count me in guys!! A mid-week would work for me, I work Fri-Mon nearly nonstop, but that gives me three days to play. Put me down for June 29 & 30 with Type-rated.
psp. lead by example

Type-Rated

Wed May 19, 2004 3:43 am

I could get a Mini-Van that seats 7 for 4 days for $178.00. That would make ground transport REAL cheap!

roseflyer

Wed May 19, 2004 4:05 am

Since I am from Seattle (Mercer Island actually) I can help with transportation (me + 3) as well. However I will have to try to get off work if we do it on a weekday which might be difficult for me and others that work on the weekdays and have limited time off.

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2004 4:10 am

OK.. so it looks like the 29th and 30th are the consensus. Any dissenters? That works for me. So I assume most of you guys who aren't local would fly in on the 28th, we'd see what Boeing we can, the museum of Flight and local tourist sites on the 29th, 30th, and possibly the 1st.

Sounds good to me. So what other considerations do we have? Accommodations? Common meeting place.. if all of you out of towners stayed at the same place, that would make it easy to get ahold of you and to coordinate transportation.

This is really starting to come together guys!  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

ulfinator

Wed May 19, 2004 4:23 am

Hey Steve.

I happen to be a dissenter on the dates but that is okay. I can't get away from work those days becuase it is the last days I will be in my current rotation and I am getting married two weeks later and don't have the vacation time. Plus the ISCFP graduation is on the 30th.

However since I am a member of the Museum of Flight I will check to see if can set up a trip to go take a look at the Museum of Flight Resoration Center in Everett as well. Another thought is that I know Paul Alan has his private collection of aircraft on display in Everett as well.

[Edited 2004-05-18 21:26:49]

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2004 4:25 am

Oh beautiful! Way to go Josh... Let me know what you turn up.

Steve

Guys, isn't it nice to have such a network of people that we can do so much cool shit?  Smokin cool

sllevin

Wed May 19, 2004 6:32 am

Ack!

I'll probably be in the UK that weekend -- at least, I am holding tickets right now for those dates.

If it moves, I'd love to fly up.

Steve

Type-Rated

Wed May 19, 2004 6:56 am

I would be arriving on the 28th staying until July 2.

WindowSeat:
Now that we have this narrowed down to the last week in June, what can you do about room rates in SEA?

BCAInfoSys:
I think a central location to all the sites would be good. Being as you are from the area, what/where do you recommend?

BCAInfoSys
Topic Author

Wed May 19, 2004 7:11 am

I would probably say that Tukwila/Renton/Southcenter would be centrally-located for everything (Interior Display Center, BFI, Museum of Flight, SEA) except Everett, and it's only like 30 minutes or so North on I-5 to Everett.

I guess it depends on what quality of hotel/motel you wanna go for. We'll see what hotel group WindowSeat works for and what deals he can arrange for us; as long as it's not too far out, we can us that as the primary consideration.

WindowSeat

Wed May 19, 2004 7:49 am

Hey guys,

I work for Starwood Hotels & Resorts, and our portfolio includes, Sheratons, Four Points, Westins, W Hotels etc. The only one that sorta matches the location is the Sheraton Bellevue Hotel. Would that be suitable? SO that I can tread down the rates path.

cheers

AvObserver

Wed May 19, 2004 9:23 am

Oh hell, yes. I'd thought about going out there last year but there were other things... A group is definitely cheaper, particularly if we can buddy up in hotels/motels. Might be my only time to do this but are we now firm on the dates? I need to schedule that week to take off from work. I'll email you, BCA, to confirm all this. Thanks for putting this together.

pizzaandplanes

Wed May 19, 2004 9:59 am

Can I bring my son? What are the dates so I can make arrangements for air travel.
A real man lands where he wants to

CAL

Wed May 19, 2004 10:12 am

Oh I would also be defiantly interested in that, get the dates correct so I can bid those days off and ill be there. CAL F/A here, btw

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos