Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

GLAGAZ
Topic Author

Qantas To GLA?

Fri May 21, 2004 9:08 pm

Saw this on a GLA forum, anyone got any info? Apparently the start date is penned in for 2007.

Would like to see an A330 routing via BKK and then on to SYD.
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

qm001

RE: Qantas To GLA?

Fri May 21, 2004 9:10 pm

I would love to see QF starting to expand someof their Euro services, but to be honext I just cannot see GLA being the first. I would be very surprised?

QM001 (167 Air Malawi)
I wish there was still a flying boat service on the African Lakes!

ScottishLaddie

Fri May 21, 2004 9:10 pm

OMG! Quit dreaming. Why would QF be planning for 2007 anyway. By then EDI will be better equipped too, so they can come here!  Laugh out loud

keno

Fri May 21, 2004 9:13 pm

I wouldn't read too much into that. QF are not even nowhere near to resume Sydney-Manchester, let alone a new service to Glasgow.

Demoose

Fri May 21, 2004 9:15 pm

I heard that they were also considering CWL.  Big grin

Problem with Qantas in the UK is that they are British Airways partners, and BA would rather shuttle passengers to LHR and then onto Australia from there. I remember when MAN used to have a QF service, rumours about that it will return, although realistically I can't see it myself.

You have Emirates up there now and so people have a very attractive alternative travel choice as opposed to BA's way of doing things.

Mark
Take a ride...fly across the sky

GLAGAZ
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2004 10:14 pm

"By then EDI will be better equipped too, so they can come here!"

Why wouldn't Qantas come here. Air Travel now is focusing more on point to point travel, with many new routes starting up. People don't want the hassle of connecting at hubs and if an airline feels there is enough demand for even just a Summer service then it is logical to start it.

I admit that i would be VERY surprised that Qantas would chose GLA before MAN. But would be delighted if it happened.

EDI is a good regional and short-haul European airport. The ramp facilities are good for companies who want short turnarounds and the terminal just isn't equipped just now to handle lots of passengers. Yes, if you EDI curently had facilities to think about regualr long haul flights then I would probably say EDI and GLA would be very close if a decision had to be made, but just now and for the near future the best airport will be GLA.

My feeling on this SYD flight is that its very unlikely, hence the post asking for information on it (ie not sarcasm from you).
Neutrality means that u don't really care cos the struggle goes on even when ur not there, blind and unaware

ScottishLaddie

Fri May 21, 2004 10:17 pm

Whose fault is that?  Insane *cough BAA*

cx123

Sat May 22, 2004 12:11 am

What happened to MAN?

I mean CX used to serve that as well, Why did everyone pulled out of there?

Demoose

Sat May 22, 2004 12:44 am

Basically because of BA and Oneworld. All the traffic that used to be on the CX and QF flights could *technically* go with BA via LHR, much to the liking of BA. In reality I think many people bypass BA altogether and go with direct carries such as Singapore and Malaysian and via the middle east with Emirates and Qatar.
Take a ride...fly across the sky

David_itl

Sat May 22, 2004 3:17 am

Also take a look at this article in today's Mancheser Evening News which suggest that a CX return is expected but, as usual, red tape has got in the way.

David

chinaeastern

Sat May 22, 2004 4:07 am

Even if QF start service to GLA or MAN, won't be a lot of choice either. they seem to get stuck on SYD. In my opinion. EK is doing a great job, providing services to SYD,BNE,PER and you will even be able to choose via SIN or not to MEL. QF is neglecting MEL to a great extent. SQ would be great if flying out from MAN, they even fly to ADL

GLAGAZ
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2004 6:15 am

I would be happy with any airline doing flights to anywhere in Asia and Oceana from either GLA or MAN as Manchester is a much shorter journey than Glasgow to London.

christiaan

Sat May 22, 2004 6:18 am

QF would probably opperate a code-share with BA using a BA aircraft.
"Give me the luxuries of life and I will willingly do without the necessities" Frank Lloyd Wright 1932

bmi330

Sat May 22, 2004 7:30 am

Ok people calm the ham hear let me make some points.

1. Airlines are aloud to fly to GLA before MAN, EDI, BHX or LHR

2. GLAGAZ Chill Scottish laddie is a wee laddie just a stupid arrogant little boy who think EDI is London or something like that. Gaz your name is wroung maybe it should be man/edi GAZ

3. Whats this got to do way MAN or EDI anyways and were did GLA get QF become GLA or MAN get QF?

4. Stop blaming BA and oneworld for no flights if it made more cash they would be no via LHR its not as if its the edinburgh parliment oh sorry scotish parlement running BA or LHR or one world.

5. If this is a big joke not likely as it was not me who started it LOL. Who cares Flyglobespan chef executive has already said come next year they want to do GLA Australia, south africa and Trans Atlantic.

6. Think Globespans operations to Canada at the moment the think QF and subsidiary company's.

7. History tells you a lot and those who ignore it are destined for desater and swings and roundabouts.

8. I know someting use dont.

ScottishLaddie

Sat May 22, 2004 7:37 am

What was that little out-burst in aid of? I noticed a nice wee dig at me as well.

5. If this is a big joke not likely as it was not me who started it LOL. Who cares Flyglobespan chef executive has already said come next year they want to do GLA Australia, south africa and Trans Atlantic.

That's the best joke of the year so far! If that happens NEXT YEAR!! (  Wow! )
I'll eat my hat(s).

gordonsmall

Sat May 22, 2004 7:44 am

I think bmi330 like most of the rest of us might have had a few beers tonight - although I have to agree with a lot of what he says.
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

boysteve

Sat May 22, 2004 7:46 am

bmi330 is a little upset, calm down! Basically MAN draws customers from all over Northern England. An area with a much larger popultion than Scotland's 5million, this is fact, not opinion. Secondly MAN can draw traffic from the West Midlands, another 3 million. This makes MAN the perfect choice for a Northern UK destination for foreign airlines, not GLA or EDI no matter how much the Scottish people might want it. Basically the only way I see a Scottish airport being able to rival MAN is if a new facility is built alongside the M8 midway between Edinburgh and Glasgow, so Scotland can put on a united front rather than a divided one. To be honest, as an Englishman, it would be good for competition for the Scottish parliament to put up such a fight but I doubt they will, they are too busy trying to keep their new Scottish parliament building costs under 8 times the original budget!

bmi330

Sat May 22, 2004 8:04 am

That's the best joke of the year so far! If that happens NEXT YEAR!! ( )
I'll eat my hat(s).

Go on then Globespan said it them self in an interview in a business section of one of the papers when the profits were announced and remember the reason they sated from moving from PIk to Scotland no1 airport.

Boysteve you make really good points maybe you should come and run Scotland LOL.

There will be 1 Scottish airport once the Edinburgh parliament finishes raping Glasgow ok we bit to far LOL. As a city we are back on the up and will truly show or strenth and will as a people and place again soon.

Yeah I am a bit upset as everytime GLA is mentioned positively in this form people put it down or patronize the success and I am totally biased and believe credit should be given when due and not detracted from.

v jet

Sat May 22, 2004 8:12 am

You're all wrong. It's really going to be ABZ and this is the first destination QF will be using the A380 to.  Big grin

bmi330

Sat May 22, 2004 8:21 am

Shut up you tube ABZ thats just no funny at all. fedex could do a good trade from AKL to ABZ with a a380f lamb or sheep live stock flights maybe CWL also.

ScottishLaddie

Sat May 22, 2004 8:25 am

A380 twice daily between ABZ and CWL to transfer all the sheep shaggers! Come on everyone knows the demand is there!

bmi330

Sat May 22, 2004 8:41 am

Calm down this thread is degenerating now. So dose anyone no were this original information calm form and could they post a link thanks.

ScottishLaddie

Sat May 22, 2004 8:43 am

As GLAGAZ said, from another forum dedicated to GLA where I'm sure all sorts of wild ideas are dreamt up. This being one of them.

FLYtoEGCC

Sat May 22, 2004 9:52 am

I have to say I also agree with a lot of what Bmi330 says in reply #15 (even if the odd alcoholic beverage caused the spelling and grammar to deteriorate somewhat), and particularly what Boysteve says in #18. I could see Asian long-haulers choosing MAN over either GLA or EDI simply because of its catchment area. Bigger catchment = More potential passengers = more revenue.

ScottishLaddie
I've noticed a lot of your posts over the last couple of months. I don't think any member of A.net is in any doubt whatsoever about your unquestioning, undying loyalty to, and love for, EDI - however, it doesn't mean that when a thread appears about GLA, or any other airport, it requires you to jump in with the predictable "EDI is better, EDI kicks your airport's ass" fanfare and turning it into an EDI v GLA war! (Although I must admit it makes a nice change to Airbus v Boeing from time to time!)
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

col

Sat May 22, 2004 11:55 am

As a previous user of QF into MAN when I lived in BKK/SIN, I cannot see QF running a service to GLA. I cannot see them starting service to MAN either, you have the BA Oneworld connection which is heavily into sending PAX to LHR. For MAN this is not too much of an issue, as there is a much better service available from SQ, MH and EK. The Crazies (BA frequent flyers) still prefer to go down to LHR (bless them).

MAN would be the next likely choice as it is an International Airport with connections, but lets keep it to ourselves, too many transits will make it harder for us guys whom now the secrets of MAN to transit.

GLA needs to ensure it has bridge drivers for aircraft before it gets more flights, missed my connection back home to EWR, because we waited 40 mins for air bridge from KLM flight. Won't be going there any time soon again.

GLAGAZ
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2004 5:43 pm

Wayhey, some mature posts Smile As I said earlier, I very much doubt that QF would come to GLA in the near fututre. But I disagree with all these people saying "why would they be thinking as far ahead as 2007?", EK and ANA have recently placed massive orders for planes that don't exist yet, so is that stupid?

MAN may have the better cathcment area, but what tourists do you know that would want to come to Manchester, a big city with another big city next to it when you can come to bonny Scotland and enjoy the scenery without the hassle of a connecting flight Big grin Only jokin, sure loads of people like Manchester.

As for the idea about 1 big airport, well it would have been great if it happened 30 years ago, but not now. Even PIK is getting busy now. The Scottish Parliment would never allow it to happen, as they need an airport right on their doorstep for their flights down to London every now and again, or the ocassional flight to visit the world bank for some more funding Big grin

gkirk

Sat May 22, 2004 7:49 pm

Perhaps a Flightline BAe146 service to LHR operating for QF would be more likely.
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Andie007

Sat May 22, 2004 7:56 pm

YES!

Qantas will fly to GLA!  Smile
In combination with British Airways via London Heathrow where you can connect on the Qantas flight  Smile

Ok - let's be realistic:
There are some more interesting cities Qantas would like to serve before starting a GLA service (thinking of MUC, MAD, ARN, MAN, VIE, ...)

gustyorange

Sat May 22, 2004 10:02 pm

I think SIA is more likely to fly to GLA.

They seem to do very well from MAN, and there is no competing STAR connections available from GLA.

OW probably think they can cover GLA through LHR.

Cheers

Gusty

jcded

Sat May 22, 2004 10:12 pm

ZRH

filler
You breathe to do good and have fun.

by188b

Sat May 22, 2004 10:54 pm

Look on the arrivals board for Longhaul flights from Glasgow.

AA - daily to Chicago
US - daily to Philadelphia
CO - daily to Newark
TCX - Toronto
AC - Toronto
OOM - Various Canadian Cities
TS - Various Canadian Cities
EK - Dubai

If a City the size of Glasgow (population of 600,000, i think) can support flights such as this on a regular basis then a QF flight doesnt sound so daft especially when you consider the huge amount of tourists that come to Scotland, also there are thousands of austrailians who have scottish ancestry.
As the BAA (British Airports Authority) run the 3 main airports GLA/EDI/ABZ in scotland - their strategy is for GLA to become the main centre for Long haul scheduled flights, that is why QF would be more likely to choose GLA over the rest.

Perhaps QF would run a flight such as SYD-SIN-GLA-DUB !!
next flights : LHR-SOF BA, SOF-DOH-KAT QR, KAT-HKG KA, HKG-LHR VS, LHR-ATH-LHR BA, LHR-CDG-LHR AF, LHR-MAD-LHR IB/BA

keno

Sat May 22, 2004 11:07 pm

It's not that GLA-SYD would not be viable, it's just that with the current QF/BA arrangement, any other cities in the UK would not be on the card in the near future. End of story.

gkirk

Sat May 22, 2004 11:09 pm

Plus to do Glasgow-SIN nonstop the flights would need to use Scotlands premier airport, Prestwick  Big thumbs up  Big thumbs up

gordonsmall

Sat May 22, 2004 11:39 pm

Plus to do Glasgow-SIN nonstop the flights would need to use Scotlands premier airport, Prestwick

Perhaps not so GKirk, GLA has 9915 feet of runway available on 05, or 9242 feet on 23 - a 777 or A332 would get off there quite admirably at a high weight, although admittedly the A332 is going to be struggling for range with a decent payload - but the eastbound flight has the benefit of tailwinds to help matters along.

Even the A340 four-holer can get off of the GLA runway at 250 tonnes in the height of summer, helped no doubt by our cold OAT's in Scotland.

Regards,
Gordon.

[Edited 2004-05-22 16:41:59]
Statistically, people who have had the most birthdays tend to live the longest.

bmi330

RE: Cantos To GLA?

Sun May 23, 2004 8:55 am

Ok guys I have been thinking quite a bit about QF and Glasgow and I can see it happening but not with a QF 744 but an Australian airlines a330 or 767 or what ever they have in 2007. I will try and point out how I think this.

1. Flyglobespans parent company have already stated they whish to do GLA-Australia and have started offering Holiday packages in Australia from this year I believe. So a similar deal could be set up in the same way globespan do GLA - Canada with air transit.

2. I would imagine that the reported strong bookings for the new EK service from GLA this year has had a big impact on QF via LHR with BA from GLA as IM sure a large amount of the GLA pax on EK continue onto Australia. This would be a good way of getting a good number of the pax back especially as they are linking up with a strong travel agent such as globespan.

3. It would be Australian airlines and not QF as I believe it would be mostly leisure pax using the route.

4. I hate having to do this one as it is basically justify why GLA and not MAN or EDI. There is really strong demand from the west of Scotland to Australia I believe as there is so many people that have immigrated from hear to there and also relatives visiting each other. I believe in the last year or so I must have spoken to someone that is going, just back or there friends or family are visiting Australia or even immigrating there. Plus unlike MAN and BHX EK flights there is most likely less people connecting to Asia on the GLA flight and more to Australia.

5. The demand is there and the route would be very fool all year round I believe just maybe a shortage of premium pax and that's why not QF. The best stop on route to OZ from GLA I think would be Hong Kong as there is a large community in GLA from that region also not to mention ex pats and maybe help fill up business class more and CX are also in one world so good feed from there to. So what you all think?

I think this could really work out well for GLA, QF group and Globespan and i think i have just maybe put forward to the group a strong case or even there thinking if this is true?

gkirk

Sun May 23, 2004 9:26 am

On a side note, QF will NEVER serve GLA or EDI.

bmi330

Sun May 23, 2004 9:29 am

On another side note never is a long long long time and nothing is for ever son!Also how the hell do you no what QF is doing do you have a direct phone line to the chef executive no dint think so. Look in your crystal ball again mate. The first step to anything is believing.

[Edited 2004-05-23 02:33:19]

gkirk

Sun May 23, 2004 6:40 pm

Why the hell would QF serve EDI or GLA? Hell, even NCL and MME have bigger catchment area's than those two.
Whilst BA have a stake in QF, pax from GLA, EDI or ABZ can fly via LHR, connecting to the QF/BA flights there. It aint gonna change for a long long time, if ever.

bmi330

Sun May 23, 2004 10:11 pm

There is that horrible little word ever again. So for the last time nothing is for ever.

HUYfan

Sun May 23, 2004 10:46 pm

Qantas will NEVER fly to GLA
Qantas will NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER fly to GLA!

Enough times Bmi330?

Regards

Mike

gustyorange

Sun May 23, 2004 11:37 pm

No need to shout Mike.

I would say it is very unlikely that Qantas will fly to GLA in the near future.

Anything can happen though, including BA selling their stake in Qantas.

I think it's much more likely that SIA will open up a GLA route in the next few years, perhaps with the introduction of the 7E7.

I'd be interested to hear how the SIN-MAN route is doing. This could be a pointer for further SIA expansion in the UK. I'll bet EK are taking a lot of pax from GLA that would have connected at MAN or LHR onto SQ's flights.

Cheers

Gusty

cedarjet

Sun May 23, 2004 11:54 pm

You know what I love best about a.net? The more implausible the story, the longer the thread. If this said, "Qantas considering return to San Francisco" (which would not be too surprising), it'd generate 12 sluggish replies and sink off the radar.

So, Glasgow: where even AA can't make money flying l'il 767s to their biggest hub in a country (USA) where half the white population think they're Scottish (or "Scotch" / "Scotch-Irish"  Insane).

But suggest a route from Glasgow to Australia, and you get 43 replies! Amazing. Rock ON!
fly Saha Air 707s daily from Tehran's downtown Mehrabad to Mashhad, Kish Island and Ahwaz

GLAGAZ
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2004 1:59 am

" Glasgow: where even AA can't make money flying l'il 767s ",

So why did I get an e-mail from AA saying that an upgrade to a 777 is very likely for 2005??
Don't think it would be wise to upgrade an un-profitable route.

ScottishLaddie

Mon May 24, 2004 2:28 am

Then why are they so reluctant to make it year round then?!

David_itl

Mon May 24, 2004 2:32 am

Provisional figures for MAN-SIN in April....13442 passengers up 23% (SARS effect probably); March provisional = 15582 passengers up 19%; February = 13972 passengers up 13%.

David

GLAGAZ
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2004 2:35 am

Do Americans want to come to Scotland in the Winter as much as they want to come in the Summer? No.
Do Scottish people take their holidays in the summer? Yes.
So with low loads being likely in Winter, theres no point, but if you have a full a/c all the time during the Summer then an upgrade is a possibility.

gkirk

Mon May 24, 2004 2:45 am

GLAGAZ, what you just described are tourists. Hence the flights will probably be quite full at the back, but not the front, so it is quite likely that the route is not operating a profit.

ScottishLaddie

Mon May 24, 2004 2:52 am

CO seem to be doing just fine year round to EWR, why should AA to ORD be any different?!
Because they aren't as happy with their passenger loads as CO.

GLAGAZ
Topic Author

Mon May 24, 2004 2:58 am

Your the one thats saying why don't they make it year round, obviulsy CO have better loads as NYC is a much bigger financial city than Chicago hence more business people will go there.

And why would a full economy section with at least a few people in business class not represent a profit. I'm sure if airlines were that dependant on business class pax then half the plane would be set-up for them.

ScottishLaddie

Mon May 24, 2004 3:07 am

They are not going to upgrade it just because the economy section is full. Business class is where airlines make the money. If that ain't full more often than not then no upgrade.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos