tartan

RE: Ceiling Collapse At CDG

Sun May 23, 2004 10:40 pm

This is a horrible thing to have happened. It would have been much worse though if it had happened during the week.

AF330

Sun May 23, 2004 10:46 pm

Looking at the air France website / flight status, most of this morning's "E departure were delayed 2-3h. Other later departure are allocated to 2F2 and 2C.

Some domestic flights going to ORY, according to French TV (LCI)
faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre.

N79969

Sun May 23, 2004 10:57 pm

This is a tragic event.

The new terminal used some cutting edge design and building techniques. The following is an excerpt for the New York Times:

"It was built using new technology in order to accommodate the Parisian airport authority's requirement that the 2,100-foot long, 110-foot wide terminal not have any intermediate, interior supports that would restrict the flow of passengers to and from the gates.

To solve the problem, the project's chief architect, Paul Andreu, proposed using technology developed for the construction of tunnels. It was "a significant first, not without numerous difficulties, not least being the open air construction of the concrete shells," noted a 2002 press release from the French Technology Press Bureau.

The concrete shell, built by the French construction firms Eiffel and Laubeuf, was constructed in rings "with three interlocking elements, positioned one next to the other," the press release said. To simulate the pressure on an underground tunnel that keeps the concrete tube intact, the press release explained, steel reinforcement was built outside the shell, which was further reinforced with carbon fiber glued onto the inside.

The shell, its ceiling honeycombed with square windows, was expected to settle as much as 8 centimeters, according to the press release. It said France's Building Science and Testing Center performed a technical assessment of the structure.

The opening of the terminal on June 25 last year was delayed by a week after an overhead light came crashing down just moments before a building inspection. France's leading trade union, the CGT, complained at the time that Air France and the airport authority had rushed construction in order to open the terminal on schedule."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/23/international/europe/23CND-PARI.html?hp

[Edited 2004-05-23 15:59:38]

Skyguy

Sun May 23, 2004 11:08 pm

How terribly sad and tragic, my thoughts and condolences with the families of the victims. This certainly will cause havoc in CDG, AF will be badly affected in terms of their ground operations.
Were there any other terminals that were constructed at the same time that will need to be inspected for safety?
"Those who talk, do not know, and those who know, do not talk."

united4ever

Sun May 23, 2004 11:13 pm

"Remind me never to hire that engineering firm.

If only six people got killed they where lucky."

It's very early days to be blaming the engineering firm.

IMO, the fact that 'only' six people were killed was due to a fine job done by the parisian police in evacuating the area, and they tragically numbered among the dead. From the times that I've used 2E, I know how busy that area could be.

Mike

jcs17

Sun May 23, 2004 11:13 pm

Unbelieveable. How could something like this happen to a structure that was so new? I mean, there has to be severe design flaws for something like that just to totally collapse. Thats a real tragedy though, and my best wishes go out to everyone involved.
America's chickens are coming home to rooooost!

Sun May 23, 2004 11:14 pm

188, there are people who died over there, so your last comment/paranoia/french-bashing snippet (namely your "AMERICAN PLOT" stuff), is definitely not appropriate.

May those who died rest in peace.

united4ever

Sun May 23, 2004 11:15 pm

"I am actually suprised that nobody really called, "BOMB" or "AMERICAN PLOT"."

Why??????

What the hell has this to do with America? Try crediting the rest of the world with a little more intelligence!

Mike

L-188

Sun May 23, 2004 11:18 pm

What, do you guys not think there is some nutjob out there that won't try and claim that.

Kind of like the news media always finding the woman in the mumu to interview after her trailerpark gets hit with a tornado.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

N79969

Sun May 23, 2004 11:18 pm

I did not quote from the New York Times to suggest a design flaw. I just posted for the factual information.

Very new structures do sometimes collapse. Sometime during the late 80s, the pedestrian bridge in the lobby of a new Hyatt hotel collapsed resulting in casualties.

Anyway, condolences to those who died this morning.

united4ever

Sun May 23, 2004 11:26 pm

"What, do you guys not think there is some nutjob out there that won't try and claim that."

I would say there are a lot of nutjobs who won't try to claim that.  Smile

Bombs don't lead to dust falling off the roof first and to time to clear the area. The rest of the world knows that and so won't try to blame a bomb, except possibly some american conspiracy-theorist.

As for the American part of your post, this is simply paranoid. No-one's blaming America for this. There's enough going on in the world to give the anti-americans something to chomp about without resorting to this tragic incident.

Mike

boo25

Sun May 23, 2004 11:29 pm

Very sad news - it really did look quite bad on the news.

Why so much concrete in the building though ? - it looks like tons of it are being used as a roof, the effect was good, but surely a high price has been paid for this kind of design?

It seems ironic, with the rest of CDG being so concrete-bound, that an 11month old piece should fail while the old 30-40 year old building stands firm  Confused

I would say it is either design,matireals,construction or foundation related.
That building should have stood strong for decades.
Let's hope the investigation is thorough and not 'fogged over' .

Russophile

Sun May 23, 2004 11:30 pm

Kind of like the news media always finding the woman in the mumu to interview after her trailerpark gets hit with a tornado.

That's because a woman in a mumu is about the only thing that isn't able to get sucked up in a tornado, and they are especially prevalent in trailerparks. So it isn't a case of the media always finding them.

Anyway, nice to see you dribbling shit and trying to provoke people. Extremely low class of you L-188. You wouldn't last a minute in any forums I was running. Almost as bad as WG2707.

---

This collapse reminds me of the near-new swimming complex roof collapse in Moscow in February -- the blame being pinned on rushed construction. If this is the cause for this collapse, you can probably expect ADP and Air France facing hefty lawsuits as a result.

ltbewr

Mon May 24, 2004 12:05 am

New ideas in engineering and construction, such as used here, sometimes but rarely lead to tragedy. This is true wether it is an airplane or a building. There have been numerous collaspes of structures of newer designs, sometimes as not 'over-engineered' to be able to deal with extremes of loads from people or weather or not properly designed or engineered to meet possible extremes. sometimes it is a small flaw of design like as to aircraft with the Comet and early DC-10's problems.
In the early 1980's a fairly new arena in Hartford, CT (USA) with a newer structural design failed after a heavy snowfall. It occured at a time when nobody in it so no one killed. Another arena collasped in (I believe) in Kansas City, MO (USA) when it was later found there was a flaw in the roof drainage during a heavy rainstorm the water overloading the roof. [The walkway collaspe in Kansas City in the early 1980's was due in part to a poor design combined with the atrium walkway used by too many people standing on them for it's design].
Just like we all want to know minutes after any such tradegy (like airplane crashes) what caused it to happen, it will take many months to find the real answers to the many possible reason or combination of them that led to this horrible situation. God bless those who's lives were lost or whom were injured here.

snnams

Mon May 24, 2004 12:09 am

There are some contributors on this thread who should hang their heads in shame. Particularly disturbing is that a crewmember was first to fire a tasteless shot.

[Edited 2004-05-23 17:10:26]

L410Turbolet

Mon May 24, 2004 12:11 am

That's horrible news! When I got the one-sentence news texted from Yahoo on my mobile I thought to myself: "I's gotta be T1, because that place is a real mess."
It wouldn't be that surprising in case of T1, I guess, but a terminal being open less than a year ago???

AMS

Mon May 24, 2004 12:14 am

yes, I also thought of the old outdated terminal 1
I am quite sure that is must have been some sort of construction mistake.
but this is quite serious.

Regards,
AMS

FLYtoEGCC

Mon May 24, 2004 12:16 am

May I express my condolences and sadness to the victims and their families. What a terrible thing to happen.

I find it so sad, that in an instance where innocent people have lost their lives through a tragic accident, a small minority seem incapable of showing any sensitivity whatsoever. Talking about cost, and conspiracy theory at a time like this, particularly in a thread where most contributors are expressing sadness and condolence, is upsetting. A person's life is priceless.

I respect the fact that everyone has a right to an opinion, but there are some people on here who just don't seem to be thinking before hitting the "post the message" button.

L-188
You have one of the highest respect ratings I have seen to date on a.net. On the evidence of your posts above, I have to wonder why.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

snnams

Mon May 24, 2004 12:20 am

FLYto EGCC,

There are even worse posts than L-188's im afraid.

I agree with your post entirely. Condolances to all.

eddieho

Mon May 24, 2004 12:22 am

This is gonna be really bad for summer tourists

elwood64151

Mon May 24, 2004 12:27 am

Unbelieveable. How could something like this happen to a structure that was so new? I mean, there has to be severe design flaws for something like that just to totally collapse.

I keep reading "design flaw" over and over. That's a possibility, but more likely there was a flaw in some part of the construction itself. Perhaps there was a steel rod that wasn't engineered properly. Perhaps the concrete wasn't the grade they thought it was.

There are so many possible explainations for what happened.

By the way, the official death toll right now is still 5, with more believed dead.

Very new structures do sometimes collapse. Sometime during the late 80s, the pedestrian bridge in the lobby of a new Hyatt hotel collapsed resulting in casualties.

This was a design flaw. It was the Hyatt Regency in Kansas City, part of the Crown Center (Hallmark) complex. The original design called for multiple cables to hold up a walkway bridge. The design was then changed (without the knowledge of the original architecht or the city) so that a single cable held the walkway to the ceiling, then another cable from the underneath supports to the walkway. The result was a fragile design that couldn't support its design load.

Anyway, nice to see you dribbling shit and trying to provoke people. Extremely low class of you L-188. You wouldn't last a minute in any forums I was running. Almost as bad as WG2707.

Can we not sink to the level of ad-hominem attacks?

Ltbewr:

Your post is excellent. You are to be commended for it.

There are some contributors on this thread who should hang their heads in shame. Particularly disturbing is that a crewmember was first to fire a tasteless shot.

If you're talking about WGW2707, his remark was not tasteless. He's simply uninformed about construction technologies and standards. Then again, so are the engineers working for the city I lived in when I first moved to CT...
Those who fail to learn history are doomed to repeat it in summer school.

prosa

Mon May 24, 2004 12:29 am

In the early 1980's a fairly new arena in Hartford, CT (USA) with a newer structural design failed after a heavy snowfall. It occured at a time when nobody in it so no one killed.

I remember the collapse of the Hartford Civic Center quite well, having been in college in the city at the time (it was in early 1978, by the way). What had happened it that it had snowed quite heavily during the hours leading up to the collapse, something like 8 inches (20 cm.) in a half-day. A fairly sudden temperature rise then caused the snow to turn to rain in a matter of minutes. Less than an hour of heavy rain added so much weight to the snow on the roof that the structural limits were exceeded.
"Let me think about it" = the coward's way of saying "no"

snnams

Mon May 24, 2004 12:30 am

Elwood,

I'm sorry but I dont agree with you at all. The anti french sentiment in that post was obvious and was a hugely idiotic conclusion to come to, whether you're versed in construction methods or not. It was ill informed and extremely insensitively timed and I will not apologise for pointing it out.

[Edited 2004-05-23 17:32:12]

No offence meant to you though. You seem very fair minded and you are to be congartulated for that.

[Edited 2004-05-23 17:33:34]

L410Turbolet

Mon May 24, 2004 12:31 am

It makes me wonder what chances of survival one has if something like this happens? Like how much time for evacuation there was - between spotting the dust falling from the ceiling and the whole thing crashing.
Looking on the pictures in a post#30 the collapsed section is some 30+ meters long, that's long way to run in situations like this one, too long for some...

aa777jr

Mon May 24, 2004 12:37 am

Very sad to hear that news...over in Austin, they are reporting (6) dead. Also a question: (why are they making a big deal out of how 2 planes had just landed?) Did that contribute to something or what not....?

A Sad Thanks
A liberal is a man who is right most of the time, but he's right too soon.

STT757

Mon May 24, 2004 12:46 am

""It was built using new technology in order to accommodate the Parisian airport authority's requirement that the 2,100-foot long, 110-foot wide terminal not have any intermediate, interior supports that would restrict the flow of passengers to and from the gates.

To solve the problem, the project's chief architect, Paul Andreu, proposed using technology developed for the construction of tunnels. It was "a significant first, not without numerous difficulties, not least being the open air construction of the concrete shells,"

This is the same design concept used in the Construction of the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center, the developers (Port Authority) wanted the floor space to be free of beams and such to maximize the rentable floor space.

In the end it was this design that hastened the collapse of the structure, however that happened 30 years after the buildings were constructed and after a ferocious fire which melted the outside beams supporting the buildings.

There must have been a trigger which began the collapse of the CDG concourse section, perhaps a worker or a vehicle of some sort had come into contact with one of the outer supports causing a crack in the concrete which spread. It could of happened during the construction or it could of happened recently, something must have weakened the supports because it held up for this long which means the design was sound.

However it's all speculation, right now all that matters is people.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

backfire

Mon May 24, 2004 12:56 am

I understand that the CDG terminal is a truss-roof structure, which allows the wide span area underneath.

Truss-roof structures are great if they're built correctly, but are notorious for their risk of collapse if they're flawed. Firefighters are specially warned about the collapse danger from truss roofing during training.

AA717driver

Mon May 24, 2004 1:09 am

Let's not politicize this tragedy. Treat it like an aircraft accident and wait for the final report.

Condolences for the victim's families.TC
FL450, M.85

nonrevman

Mon May 24, 2004 1:30 am

It is sad to wake up and see news like this. We are likely fortunate that there were not a lot more people involved in this as we know that CDG is a very busy airport.

Anyone planning on flying through there this summer might want to budget for some extra time, especially the check in process as the news article said the terminal will be shut down for a while. That will put quite a strain on the airport staff in the other terminals.

I hope there are no further casualties, and that the terminal is rebuilt soon. A sad day for France  Sad

EUSWISS

Mon May 24, 2004 1:39 am

This is a link to a plan of the airport and a description of what happened to the building:
http://fr.news.yahoo.com/040523/85/3th6a.html

phollingsworth

Mon May 24, 2004 1:43 am

Whether the cause is a basic design flaw or a construction error, one thing is obvious, the design of the structure was not robust. I don't know how the loads were supposed to be carried, but it was a pretty clean collapse, just the one section fell. Looking at the pictures of the adjacent sections, it looks to be supported from underneath. It looks like all of the support columns collapsed. This makes me wonder if the reinforced concrete columns were constructed correctly. I know of several structures that were built incorrectly, generally as ways for the contractors to save a few bucks.

One reassuring thing is that of all of the terminal halls at CDG it is only the concourse of 2E that was built using this architecture. There is no reason to believe that any other sections of Terminal 2, are in danger. Depending on the cause even the check in areas of 2E may be good to go.

Probably the most spectacular construction error caused failure that never happened, was the Citibank building in New York, where the contractor substituted bolted for welded construction on the diagonal braces. Had the building been subjected to its design loads, i.e., a high-wind situation, it would have toppled. The estimated casualties for this accident would have been in tens to hundreds of thousands.

as739x

Mon May 24, 2004 1:46 am

What a horrible incident. My heart is with all the people and their families. Thank goodness they at least heard the crack, it could have been so much more worse.

L-188...Your comments are out of line. No wonder everyone hates the Americans. Those are comments you should keep to yourself, not pick a fight with.

ASSFO
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

trijetfan1

Ceiling Collapse At CDG

Mon May 24, 2004 1:55 am

A sad day indeen for aviation. Does anyone suspect terrorism?
Earned PPL June 26, 2007

SNBA319

Mon May 24, 2004 2:02 am

Also a question: (why are they making a big deal out of how 2 planes had just landed?) Did that contribute to something or what not....?

AA777jr
those two widebodies from Joburg and NY had just arrived, and i believe were about to disembark at or near 2E. The airport director had at one stage not been able to confirm these pax were potential victims to the collapse.

PS my condolences to all victims & relatives, and good luck to the people involved in clearing up the mess.
PPS; why don't people just ignore childish behaviour on this forum?  Yawn

BA

Mon May 24, 2004 2:10 am

Absolutely terrible, this is the first news I heard when I woke up this morning. May those that have passed on rest in peace.  Sad

FoxNews reports that at least six are dead, but none has yet been confirmed as an American, even though this terminal is frequently the terminal used by passengers transiting to/from the US.

With all do respect, but why does nationality matter? The fact is they are all human beings no matter what nationality they are. American casualties are no worse than French casualties or any other nationality. It is an equal loss no matter what nationality they are. We are all humanbeings regardless of our ethnicity. If I misunderstood you, then sorry.....

Does anyone suspect terrorism?

The French Minister of Transport said there is absolutely no sign of terrorism.

Again, my condolences to all the victims and relatives.....

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

prebennorholm

Mon May 24, 2004 2:18 am

Press up here is reporting that:

Construction work was at one time way behind schedule, and it created a terrible pressure on the contractors to get it finished in time for last year's summer rush. And they almost finished it on time after a terribly hurried construction process.

It was more than indicated that the most likely cause was flawed construction work rather than flawed design.

If that's the case then it may take a long time. Maybe the whole terminal building must be removed and rebuilt from scratch.

In any case it will last a long time before any person - flight passenger or construction worker - will risk his head under the remaining parts of CDG 2E ceilings.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

daumueller

Mon May 24, 2004 2:47 am

I've just returned from CDG (terminal 1 though) - and just heard about it here (by chance). seems like the officials there are trying to keep it down as much as possible.

Aeroflot777

Mon May 24, 2004 3:12 am

Wow! This is really unfortunate... Especially since it was just recently built. Very, very sad.

LineMechQX

Mon May 24, 2004 3:19 am

BA-
"With all do respect, but why does nationality matter? The fact is they are all human beings no matter what nationality they are. American casualties are no worse than French casualties or any other nationality. It is an equal loss no matter what nationality they are. We are all humanbeings regardless of our ethnicity. If I misunderstood you, then sorry....."

Would it be possible for friends and family of Americans to be worried about someone they know that might possibly be traveling through Paris recently?
Its sad no matter who it is, but even worse not knowing if its a friend or not. Just my 2 cents.

panamair

Mon May 24, 2004 3:20 am

Luckily it happened pretty early (0700) - AF23 from JFK and AF5 from EWR arrived between 0550 and 0615 so passengers should have cleared the area already. AF995 from JNB arrived around 0630 so pax. could still have been in the area. The only departures at that time of the morning where check-in would have been in progress would have been for an AF flight to PRG and for AF22 to JFK (STD 0830 - eventually left around 1040). Besides AF, DL (6 flights a day), OK, and KE also use the terminal.

Condolences to the families of the victims.

SegmentKing

Mon May 24, 2004 3:27 am

** mouth still on ground after reading HottieBoi's bio line **

*regains composure* ok  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

In regards to the construction, it is unlikely we'll see the Terminal reopen for a long time. My father is a high-up in a global company & his involvement is pretty much engineering & design. They had some issues with some grain elevators in Belgium a couple years back and instead of fixing the one little area they had to completely tear down the structures & rebuild them using a new design... and the initial problem was a bit smaller than the terminal collapsing @ CDG.

I'm thinking that they'll have to build supports inside the terminal to relieve pressure from the sidewalls, which is probably what happened (think of putting your hand on it, and the sides explode out). I highly doubt the terminal area affect will be "rebuilt".... we'll probably see some modifications done to the superstructure that will result in 6 months to a year closer of 2E..

Its a cool design though... I'm just glad it happened before the morning rush...

-n
~ ~ ~ ~ pRoFeSsIoNaL hUrRiCaNe DoDgEr ~ ~ ~ ~

backfire

Mon May 24, 2004 3:33 am

Here's something interesting.

GTM Construction was responsible for the CDG 2E departure pier. This morning their Internet site prominently showed the pier among their list of prestige projects.

As of this afternoon, it no longer appears there...

MYT332

Mon May 24, 2004 3:35 am

Hmm can you blame them. Maybe they do everything this fast, hence why it collapsed?
One Life, Live it.

Speedbird747

Mon May 24, 2004 3:46 am

What a terrible thing...  Crying My condolences go out to the affected families.

Aloha717200

Mon May 24, 2004 4:04 am

My sincerest condolences go out as well. And apologies for creating a double-thread, I didn't see this one.

What's scary about this is that I almost booked a friend through CDG this summer. Had this collapse happened any later, he could have been one of the 5 dead.  Sad  Sad

Very scary....and such a sad loss to a beautiful building as well. Such a waste of architecture and human life.  Sad

standby87

Mon May 24, 2004 4:49 am

Terrible event - I read somewhere that "Airport Terminals have become the New Cathedrals". I think that's true!

I think it was Sabenapilot who said it, but the whole structure is a uniform design and it's going to be out of action for a long time.

But if there's any solace from this, it could have been a lot worse as it seems the area was almost devoid of passengers...

InnocuousFox

Mon May 24, 2004 6:21 am

"Looking at the pictures of the adjacent sections, it looks to be supported from underneath. It looks like all of the support columns collapsed. This makes me wonder if the reinforced concrete columns were constructed correctly"

That was a similar thing that happened to the Fedeal building in OKC when the truck blew up outside. The columns that held up the front of the building were all blown out and the rest of the front of the structure came down - far more than the bomb/truck should have done on its own. While I don't know the specifics of this incident, a lot of times, those columns can be the only thing that stands in the way of a much larger collapse.
Dave Mark - Intrinsic Algorithm - Reducing the world to mathematical equations!

GoMEA

Mon May 24, 2004 6:27 am

This is terrible news for all the airlines and airport community. It's so silly to have a building collapse the way it did, with CAD design and high tech materials. Paul Andreu, the architect, who has also built CDG1 and it is renowned for his great skill and art...

I was in CDG today, coming from BCN, and our captain told us that Term E was closed for technical reasons and that all corresponding passengers were to check their new flight schedule. Nevertheless, traffic remained smooth and there was no particular hassle.

Hope Term E will reopen soon !

in memoriam

MEA raising the Cedar far up in the sky

mdsh00

Mon May 24, 2004 6:32 am

"Kind of like the news media always finding the woman in the mumu to interview after her trailerpark gets hit with a tornado."

This is a ripoff from Jeff Foxworthy...

flybynight

Mon May 24, 2004 6:39 am

Very sad indeed. A horrible way to die.  Sad

A very interesting-looking structure. I wonder, though, if some modern structures put form before function.
Heia Norge!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos