Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

BA At AKL

Tue May 25, 2004 2:56 pm

Hi

Just Curious. I Know that BA served AKL a few years back and I was just wondering why they left. I know that they codeshare with CX and QF but I also heard a RUMOUR that they were returning.

Anyone have news on this?

ZKSUJ

ZK-NBT

RE: BA At AKL

Tue May 25, 2004 3:11 pm

No but I was talking to a guy at AKL just the other day about BA and a few other airlines and BA was 1 we both agreed were surprised no longer served AKL.

They pulled out in March 1995, last route was something like LHR-BOM-SIN-PER-AKL, 2 weekly flights I think it was.

It would be great if they were to return, but that would surprise me a bit with the codeshares they have.

Where did you hear that rumour?

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2004 3:18 pm

Can't remember who, but I was told when I was at AKL by someone.

ZKSUJ

ZK-NBT

Tue May 25, 2004 3:59 pm

Like an Air NZ employee?

Would love to see BA 744's or 772's back here!

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Tue May 25, 2004 4:45 pm

Nah, just some person from the public.

As I said, it's a rumour and was wondering if anyone else heard any thing about it.

Yea it would be nice to see the BA744 back here, but don't know if that's gonna happen anytime soon

ZKSUJ

boysteve

Wed May 26, 2004 3:57 am

BA offer only code share flights to AKL. Options are via LAX, HKG, SYD or MEL. The only flight direct between the UK and NZ is Air NewZealands daily LHR-LAX-AKL. From memory the flight was dropped as part of the BA/QF codeshare agreement. QF dropped certain European routes that were easily accesible from LHR and BA dropped New Zealand services. That situation remains the same, unless QF are about to re-start European routes dropped under the same agreement

eta unknown

Wed May 26, 2004 11:08 am

Main problem with their LHR-AKL service was it operated via Asia whereas the NZ service is via LAX and quicker. BA flight was usually full (if only for pax/cargo going to PER with PER-LHR traffic filling the bird for the rest of the journey), but the yields just weren't there, plus it was a milk run.

NZ1
Head Moderator

Thu May 27, 2004 9:05 am

ZK-NBT, are you an Air NZ employee? If so what do you do?
--
NZ1
Head Forum Moderator

ZK-NBT

Thu May 27, 2004 3:25 pm

I did work for NZ a few years back for a while as a loader/cleaner, not any longer though.

If it was a member from the public ZKSUJ then I seriously doubt your source, I am not saying it will never happen but I really doubt it.

I wonder though if BA could come back to AKL through LAX and takeover QF's second LAX-AKL flight or something like that? Demand is there just a matter if the yeild is there though.

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Thu May 27, 2004 7:40 pm

ZK-NBT

I figured it was a load of Crap, I was just wondering if anyone else heard it.
Yeah, it would make sense to come over from LAX, but they could also come form SIN or BKK.

As you said, the demand is there, but....

ZKSUJ

keno

Thu May 27, 2004 10:20 pm

They pulled out in March 1995, last route was something like LHR-BOM-SIN-PER-AKL

Why would the routing involve too many stops in between? No wonder it couldn't survive compared to NZ1/2 via LAX.

ZK-NBT

Fri May 28, 2004 3:34 pm

Why would the routing involve too many stops in between?

Just the way they operated in those days. I think they had a couple of other routes to AKL aswell, anyone no of any?

Yes sorry ZKSUJ, I guess we can only hope.  Smile Perhaps through their SIN hub or through BKK might work.

ZK-NBT

Fri May 28, 2004 3:57 pm

Just found this on another thread.

London-Abu Dhabi-Kuala Lumpur-Perth-Christchurch-Auckland.

ZKSUJ
Topic Author

Fri May 28, 2004 5:59 pm

Wow ZK-NBT
Thats a long, long, long route.
I know 1 BA went LHR-SIN-PER-AKL and another went LHR-SIN-BNE-AKL.
Yea, it would be nice to see them back again, with the Trans Tasman war, one might think they would join in from SYD or BNE, but who knows???

ZK-NBT

Fri May 28, 2004 6:48 pm

They don't fly to BNE anymore, they fly double daily to SYD and daily to MEL!

If they were to fly here i'd be sure it would be 1 stop, not via SYD or MEL, already to many airlines flying from SYD, MEL just doesn't seem to have the PAX numbers, EK carry like 40-50 pax a day while NZ and QF are usually full.

dutchjet

Fri May 28, 2004 9:05 pm

Also, dont forget that BA is a big shareholder in Qantas - and after BA bought into Qantas, BA more or less let Qantas handle service to New Zealand and smaller Australian cities and BA focused on the much more interesting London to Sydney (and later back to Melbourne) routes. Thus, I would not expect BA to re-enter the New Zealand market, due to the distance between London and Auckland, routing issues and yeild issues on the route, the code-shares with QF are probably the best solution for BA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos