Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

[email protected]
Topic Author

UK Flights From Cambridge, Liverpool, Ispwich...

Wed May 26, 2004 2:15 am

This is JUST FOR FUN. I dedicate it to HUYfan.  Wink/being sarcastic

Is Cambridge too close to Stansted for (at least) twice-daily flights to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and Dublin, using, well, you know what?

Would Ipswich be too close to, say, London City and Norwich for flights to Edinburgh, Glasgow, Belfast and Dublin? (I realise there's no flights from Norwich to Glasgow, Belfast or Dublin, and, I think, from London City to Glasgow.)

What about Liverpool-Glasgow and –Edinburgh? The services from Manchester can be very expensive and there’s obvious demand from Manchester to both Edinburgh and Glasgow, so there must be from Liverpool, too. The question is, I suppose, whether Liverpool is too close to Manchester. Probably three- or four-times daily to be of use and to be competitive.

I’m just trying to see the level of demand from these small airports, as alternatives must be found, as new entrants would have a very difficult time indeed from airports like Stansted to the above cities.

[Edited 2004-05-25 19:21:47]
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

FLYtoEGCC

RE: UK Flights From Cambridge, Liverpool, Ispwich...

Wed May 26, 2004 2:22 am

I think all of those flights would potentially be very profitable using the very cost-effective ATR-42!  Big thumbs up

Actually, though, I agree, particularly about the flights from Glasgow to Edinburgh. The trains have got better, but it's still a long and boring journey up there, and if there were cheaper flights it would be something I'd definitely consider, and I'm sure a lot of other people would too.

[Edited 2004-05-25 19:25:14]
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

CKT789

Wed May 26, 2004 2:24 am

I've thought for a while that an EDI - LPL route would work. Say twice daily with a regional jet/prop, ...ATR42 maybe!

Does Ipswich have a tarmac runway? I thought it only had a grass one, this was why Suckling moved to Cambridge all those years ago.

HUYfan

Wed May 26, 2004 2:24 am

ha

ha

ha

Regards

Mike

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2004 2:26 am

Actually, the ATR-72, which has a larger capacity, is generally only about 15% more expensive to run than the smaller (48-seat) ATR-42, while also generally being faster. In short, the -72 would offer a much lower per-seat cost than the -42. The problem, I think, would be filling the additional seats for the cost-saving to be beneficial.
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

bmiEMA19

Wed May 26, 2004 2:28 am

Ipswich flights may prove a little difficult as the last time I looked it was still a housing estate!
But even still, i think a cost effective ATR-42 would work wonders on these UK routes  Big grin !

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2004 2:29 am

CKT - the problem with a twice-daily service between LPL and EDI might be that would-be customers might go to MAN instead, which offers a number of daily flights to the Scottish city. Accordingly, you'd have to make your proposition worthwhile and convenient, so I'd say a thrice- or, better still, four-times-daily service would be better. Look at VLM and its LPL-LCY and MAN-LCY services.

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2004 2:30 am

LOL! Then forget about the flights from Ipswich.  Laugh out loud

Airplanepics

Wed May 26, 2004 2:31 am

Ahem!

You have missed out the one and only SEN!
Could be low cost heaven!  Big grin

Ah, and my 1000 post advertising Southend Airport! What more can I ask for!  Big thumbs up

Simon
Simon - London-Aviation.com

HUYfan

Wed May 26, 2004 2:32 am

The ATR-500 is much faster than any AT7.

I suppose I had better put my tuppence worth in!

smilehigh.com  Smile

Based at Humberside

ATR-42-500

a/c 1

HUY-DUB-HUY MTWTFS-
HUY-DUB-HUY MTWTFSS
HUY-DUB-HUY MTWTF-S

a/c 2

HUY-CDG-HUY MTWTFSS
HUY-CDG-HUY MTWTFSS

a/c 3

HUY-BHD-HUY MTWTFS-
HUY-ORK-HUY M-W-F-S
HUY-JER-HUY -T-T-S-
HUY-BHD-HUY MTWTF-S

Low fares fun based airline, offering simple one way fares.

Regards

Mike

FLYtoEGCC

Wed May 26, 2004 2:34 am

I don't think you'd get a full ATR-42, never mind a 72, from Ipswich, due to its location and lack of motorway connections. Cambridge is a bit more accessible and would provide quick and easy access for those who don't want to travel from STN, so maybe you could eventually run an ATR-72 from there.

Regarding the LCY-GLA route - I think that could be a great opportunity if an airline took it up. It sounds as if VLM's MAN-LCY route is operating at high load factors, so the demand for fast access from city to city (rather than taking the train, or flying to LHR) appears to be there. This is one which, I think, could certainly fill an ATR-72.

About LPL - yes, Liverpool is close to Manchester, but that could work to your advantage. If you were to offer much lower fares than could be found on MAN-GLA or MAN-EDI, then you might find some people wouldn't mind the extra hour to LPL to take advantage. I'm sure there are also people in the Merseyside area who would rather have a LPL service than have to go to MAN.
Come fly with me, let's fly, let's fly away...

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2004 2:41 am

Odd, HUYfan, as AW stated in a recent article that the AT7 is generally faster than the AT4. Still, they could be wrong.  Smile

Yeah, EGCC, but don't forget that VLM operates 6 flights on weekdays from PL / EGGP), United Kingdom">LPL to LCY PLUS 9 flights from MAN to LCY. I agree that if you offer low prices but also choice (i.e. by providing a fair number of flights), then it could be OK.

ScottishLaddie

Wed May 26, 2004 2:41 am

easyJet could do LPL-EDI. It can't be any shorter than BFS-EDI. Other than them, FlyJem maybe?
I'm sure it would work, becuase LPL is a shorter journey than MAN from the likes of Blackpool and Preston and then there is Liverpool it's self!  Smile

ScottishLaddie

Wed May 26, 2004 2:43 am

[email protected], I think you are getting withdrawal symptoms from the failed launch of Hop Airways! Big grin

boysteve

Wed May 26, 2004 3:37 am

Personally I can't see the Cambridge option taking off (excuse the pun). You can travel by car and train from Stansted to Cambridge quicker than the journey from Stansted to central London.
Hey, why not rename Stansted as Cambridge International!!!!!!!!!

Liverpool might work though

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2004 4:05 am

LOL Scottish! I just like finding alternatives and ways to offer the public what they want - inexpensive, convenient and easy flights. Two of my uncles are directors of two very large non-aviation companies (one in Germany; one in the US) and my dad's cousin was a senior BA manager, so perhaps it's my turn next. LOL  Laugh out loud  Wink/being sarcastic But this is all just for fun.  Smile

Ringway

Wed May 26, 2004 4:27 am

There is a point in this topic about the use of Cambridge. There is a large catchment area in the south-East Midlands, spanning from Peterborough to Stamford to Kettering to Huntingdon to Ely. I know a lot of people who travel from Peterborough to use East Midlands for short-haul/domestic flights, however this journey by road is long and winding.

For one reason or another, people in this catchment area deem Stansted to be too far (that stretch between Cambridge and Stansted makes all the difference). Admittedly, the A14 corridor does open up STN, EMA and BHX.

Cambridge could and can do it. It could also alleviate traffic out of STN.

boysteve

Wed May 26, 2004 4:42 am

Ringway, although I love flying and much of Britains railways are a national joke, I used to live in Peterborough and would always consider the GNER train service for a trip to Edinburgh. The service is hourly and takes only 3 and a half hours. Maybe if you havn't got any checked baggage air would be quicker city centre to city centre but I'd want a good fare advantage to put up with all that messing around at airports etc

Ringway

Wed May 26, 2004 4:51 am

Boysteve - yes absolutely. I used to live in Peterborough too and regulary travelled to Edinburgh on the superb GNER train service. In fact, I used to look forward to the strecth between Northumberland and Edinburgh. However, I also used to travel to Dublin and Belfast quite regular and that's where the fun began.

Smile

MANmatt

Wed May 26, 2004 5:05 am

[email protected], you sure love the ATR-42 dont you! And i think Aerospatiale would love you too if you set up an airline and placed an order with them! lol How about getting the -72, much better looking aircraft!

Matt

[email protected]
Topic Author

Wed May 26, 2004 6:19 am

LOL Matt. Can't say I love the ATR-42 any more than the 767, but it is a very worthwhile prop, as it's cost-effective and well-suited to operate short low-cost, no-frills flights.

BlueShamu330s

Wed May 26, 2004 7:14 am

Just to toss my tuppence worth in...

Mrs Shamu is an ATCO @ MAN, and their simulation runs for projected traffic in 2006 includes EZY flights from LPL to BOTH EDI and GLA, CO flights from LBA to EWR (B752), and various (not to be yet divulged routes from Finningley to all points South, East, and West.  Laugh out loud

Regards

Shamu
Flying around India

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos