Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

zrs70
Topic Author

Former "regional" Airlines That Flew Jets

Fri May 28, 2004 10:12 am

Before the regionals of today, there were small carriers that flew small jets. What are some of your memories of these carriers?

My favorite (though I never flew them), was Empire (UR). They flew F-28's mostly from Upstate New York to other cities in the northeast.

I was always a fan of Air Wisconsic, well before they were part of the UA team. They were among the first to fly the BAC-146, to this day my favorite narrow body jet!

I also remeber Best, which flew Bac 1-11's in the northeast. (Were they regional or larger?)
21 year airliners.net vet! 2000-2021

EMBQA

RE: Former "regional" Airlines That Flew Jets

Fri May 28, 2004 10:56 am

Well, in the northeast....Pilgrim flew F-28's for a short while, and later Business Express became the first Delta Connection carrier (sorry Comair) to fly 'Regional Jets' with their BAe-146's long before the CRJ ever took to the sky.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

dc8jet

Fri May 28, 2004 12:42 pm

Best was a very small carrier. I don't think they ever operated more than 2 or 3 aircraft at a time. They did not operate the BAC-111 they had DC-9-10 series aircraft. Mohawk had BAC-111s.Altair had F-28s. Air Illinois operated the BAC-111 as did Cascade and Atlantic Gulf.Mid Pacific in Hawaii operated the F-28.Aspen has BAE-146s.

access-air

Fri May 28, 2004 1:48 pm

Yes, Best only operated the DC9-15s. Dont forget Sunworld International which started out with a couple of DC9-15s then grew into DC9-30s and even 737-300s. Britt Airways used the BAC 111 as well...they had two 400 series. Lets not forget Pacific Exspress, they used the BAC 111 as well and were slated to get BAe146s but they went bankrupt before taking delivery of them...
(Actually the VERY first Delta Connection airline was Dawsome Ransome's Ransome Airlines....after he defected from the Allegheny Commuter fold to feed Delta, Ransome was Delta's first.)
Actually whilst Air Wisconsin was waiting for additional Bae146s they bought a few Used Pacific Express BAC 111s as well, around the 1985-1986 era. Horizon also started doing the Jet servie with their F28-1000 and even flirted with flying an leased All Star Airlines DC9-15 for a short time.
Royale Airlines that was based out of Louisiana flew some DC9-15s as well as aTexas regional airline from the 80s called Emerald Air....
Also an airline up in Alaska called Air Pacific flew a few BAe146-100s. Five Star Airliens based out of Vegas flew BAe146-200s and let us not forget the jet regional airlines in Hawaii started up called Discovery Airways using BAe146-200s but was shut down because it was found that majority ownership in that airline was by a foreign extraction.
Let us not forget Rockford, Illinois based Coleman Air Transport, they had a single DC9-14 for a very short time to supplement their G-159s and King Air 200s in scheduled service.
I think there was even a small airline started and stopped called Air Puerto Rico using DC9-15s...
Let us not also forget Washington DC Dulles based Presidential Airlines that started out with a fleet of BAe146-200s and then moved up to 737-200s as well.
Let us not forget Mesa Airlines first jet airline caleld Desert Sun...that was supposed to operate a fleet of F70s but only got two....and the dumped them.
Hey we canot forget Orlando based Florida Express which was a big operator of maily ex-Usair BAC111s..until they were bought out in 1988 by Braniff.
Nuimber 2.

Sheesh, Thats alot of airlines. I cant seem to think of any others.

Cheers, Access-Air

Remember, Wherever you go, there you are!!!!

sprxflySWA

Fri May 28, 2004 2:42 pm

Good ol' Air Puerto Rico! I saw their DC-9 at ORD March 1987.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos