Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Trash In The Lavatory

Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:49 am

One of the most unpleasant tasks a line AMT has to perform is lavatory MX. Specifically removing trash from underneath the dump valve on a recirculating lav. Pax throw all kinds of things that don't belong there in the toilets. I'm talking about bottles, newspapers, magazines, diapers, etc.
Come on people!
Do you throw these things in your toilet at home?
There's a trash receptacle right there!
During servicing these items get stuck under the dump valve and the lav won't hold the blue juice when filled. It just runs right back out because the dump valve won't seat. Some AMT has to don shoulder
length gloves and reach into the tank through the bowl (quick) or remove the dump valve (slow) and remove the obstruction.  Sad

Let's all spread the word and give a break to the people keeping the planes, that you love and fly on, in the air.

Thanks, Big grin
Dl757md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

squirrel83

RE: Trash In The Lavatory

Mon Jun 14, 2004 1:54 am

hehehe, Flashback ~ wine bottles Do not Dump a Wine Bottle in the Toilet. . . LOL

But yess I have had to Reach in and get a Soap Bottle Yesss god knows how that got in there?
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

airtran737

Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:11 am

Some of the stuff that come out of the lav cart is just disgusting. I've seen dolls, spoons, wine bottles, anything that will fit down that little hole that you can imagine, I've seen it. People are gross!
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

CRJ900

Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:27 am

How about replacing recirculating lavatories with vacuum ones to eliminate the problems once and for all? People seem to be more aware of not throwing unsuitable things in vacuum lavs.

Would it be easy to replace a recirc lav with a vacuum lav, or does it require massive modifications of the inner fuselage, electric systems etc? Would it be too expensive?
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:06 am

Technically it would be feasible to retrofit a recirc lav AC with vac lavs even if vac lavs were never an option for the particular type AC. An STC would be required (expensive) in addition to the cost of the actual mod. I think a cost/benefit analysis would come up short. The advantages of vac lavs (least of which is keeping the company AMTs from having to go lav diving) just don't outweigh the cost of retrofitting them. Original equipment on the other hand....Vacs are the way to go. Big grin

shark

Mon Jun 14, 2004 3:25 pm

"Some AMT has to don shoulder
length gloves and reach into the tank through the bowl (quick) or remove the dump valve (slow) and remove the obstruction. "

Your still allowed to use the glove to reach in. AS took all our gloves away. The only option we have is to pull the lav apart and remove the dump valve. Although dumping a couple of gallons of really hot water in the tank and flushing with the truck can help.

"How about replacing recirculating lavatories with vacuum ones to eliminate the problems once and for all? People seem to be more aware of not throwing unsuitable things in vacuum lavs."

You would think this would solve the problem. But we have had several occasions when a pax has tried the flush a handful of papertowels to see what would happen. Just plugs up the little hole in the bowl.

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Jun 14, 2004 5:30 pm

I was once servicing the lav on a DL MD-88 at PWM that had just arrived from ATL. While draining the rear lav, the overflow hose broke off and the sewage started pouring out into the open overflow tank of which you could see into. Just when it was finishing draining, a cellphone came shooting out of the hose. Apon closer examination after getting a pair of latex gloves, I noticed a green light flashing on it, and sure enough when I looked at the screen it was indicating one new message!

air2gxs

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:24 pm

Before disassembling the valve try pressurizing the aircraft (1/4 psid max) with the lav truck attached. Not an approved procedure, but it has cleared many an obstruction for me when I worked pax airplanes. Once again, don't go above 1/4 psid, you may rupture the lav truck hose.

Qantasclub

Mon Jun 14, 2004 8:29 pm

Thanks, guys! I found this a fascinating thread and just happen to be eating my dinner: a BROWN meat pie. No, seriously, though..I never thought of it like that..I think I threw some toilet paper down the toilet a few times-so sorry! I'll never do it again, and thank you for doing such a great job.

cheers,

Qantasclub.
Long Haul is the only way to go

dl757md
Topic Author

Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:27 am

Qantasclub,

You're welcome.... and don't worry about the TP. Just take it easy on the brown meat pie.:D

Dl757md

tu154m

Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:44 am

This hits home........UNFORTUNATELY!!!!!!! We took a 15min delay once on a 737-200 because of this. After pulling out 2 beer cans, a toddlers outfit(where was the kid???), AND a soap bottle we were ready to release the logbook back to the crew. Of course, to make sure it wouldn't happen again(yeah right), we had the pilot make a PA to the delayed passengers telling them exactly why they were not out on time. You could have heard a pin drop in the cabin!!!!!!!!!!
S
CEOs should swim with cement flippers!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos