Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Supersonic Biz Jet

Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:12 am

http://www.fortune.com/fortune/technology/articles/0,15114,650247,00.html?cnn=yes

I'm gonna run out 'n buy me a Mega Millions Lottery ticket so's I can buy me one.

Seriously does anybody think we'll see this in the next 20 years?

Dl757md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

whitehatter

RE: Supersonic Biz Jet

Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:56 am

Dassault have been doing design work on that for a while now.

They routinely build supersonic military aircraft so have a good starting point to begin from, as well as plenty of bizjet experience too. It wouldn't be a cheap project so don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

If someone like NetJets came to them with a substantial order then they might accelerate the program, but again it would be a big gamble. There could be some military applications for a small SST as well.
Lead me not into temptation, I can find my own way there...

RayChuang

Sun Jun 20, 2004 11:45 pm

If you've read the July 2004 issue of Popular Science, there was a long article on how a modified Northrop F-5E succeeded in reducing the pressure wave around the plane that creates the sonic boom. In short, they have proved it is now possible to drastically reduce the intensity of the sonic boom so people on the ground will either barely hear it or not hear it at all.

This will now pave the way for a supersonic transport of the future that could fly in a few years. I'm sure Gulfstream Aerospace (who has been studying a supersonic business jet since the late 1990's) could be on the verge of announcing such a plane.  Big thumbs up

Imagine being able to fly from JFK to London area airports at Mach 1.7-1.8 but with no sonic boom audiable on the ground and also much lower noise and exhaust emissions.

VirginFlyer

Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:52 pm

RayChuang - I was under the impression that the tradeoff for the 'Quiet Supersonic' modifications was an increase in drag, and thus a decrease in fuel efficiency. Right now with fuel prices at high levels, this could be a bad thing...

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

canoecarrier

Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:13 pm

Am I the only one here that thinks this might be Dick Rutan's next project?
The beatings will continue until morale improves

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos