Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dl757md
Topic Author

Solo Round The World Fosset/Branson/Rutan

Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:02 am

I did a search and couldn't find anything in the forums on this.

Steve Fossett, Sir Richard Branson, and Dick Rutan have teamed up for a solo attempt to circumnavigate the globe nonstop in Scaled Composites latest creation the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer. First flight occurred March 5th, 2004.
No date for the attempt has been set. Global Flyer is a jet powered cousin of the Voyager AC that completed the first unrefueled nonstop circumnavigation of the globe.

http://www.globalflyer.com/

I wish these modern day aviation adventurers all the luck in the world.

Dl757md

757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

PlymSpotter

RE: Solo Round The World Fosset/Branson/Rutan

Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:54 am

Could this be the start of Virgin's new round the world trips using ultra long haul 346`s in an all first class layout  Big thumbs up

Dan.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

planemaker

Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:09 am

Actually, all the press is now focused on tomorrow's first private sector space flight attempt by SpaceShipOne - to bad Branson won't be the first civilian astronaut.

However, I am confident that you'll be able to book seats on Virgin "Spaceways" not too far in the future.

BTW, Sir Richard just reclaimed the Channel crossing record in an amphib. After busting out the bubbly he said that he wants to use the vehicle, on the Thames, for Virgin pax wanting to go to central London - a saving of 30 minutes.
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

Vorticity

Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:58 am

and Dick Rutan

It's Burt Rutan. Jets are so much less efficient than props, I wonder how it'll make it all the way around, Burt must be up to good things.
Thermodynamics and english units don't mix...

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:07 am

OOOOPS! Brain fart. Embarrassment

Of course it's Burt. Sorry.

PlymSpotter

Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:10 am

The entire structure will be filled with fuel, as with most record breaking flights even right at the start of aviation history with the 1920's and 30's pioneers they carried dozens of jerry cans filled with fuel in every available space so that they could keep topping up the main tank. Nowadays things will no doubt me a bit more advanced, all the pilot will have to do is sit there and try to stay awake.

Dan.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

planemaker

Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:12 am

People sometimes get the brothers confused... but this time I believe that Dl757md thought that Dick was going to be a pilot on the Global Flyer (he's not).

Here are a couple of links to the rocket news. BTW, the world's first civilian pilot/astronaut is going to be 62-year-old Scaled Composites vice-president Mike Melvill:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3770919.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3811881.stm
Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind. - A. Einstein

Vorticity

Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:12 am

Nowadays things will no doubt me a bit more advanced, all the pilot will have to do is sit there and try to stay awake

The voyager trip was quite an endurance trip, and it was a lot more challenging than just staying away. To save weight, which is everything, there are no comforts onboard the aircraft. It's not a trivial task at all.
Thermodynamics and english units don't mix...

dl757md
Topic Author

Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:17 am

People sometimes get the brothers confused... but this time I believe that Dl757md thought that Dick was going to be a pilot on the Global Flyer (he's not).
Thanks, but I know Steve Fossett is going to be the pilot. I don't type very fast and my head was way too far ahead of my fingers. Hence, the mix up.

Dl757md

planemaker

Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:17 am

If I recall, Dick suffered some serious hearing damage from that trip.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos