Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A388
Topic Author

Bangkok New Airport...?

Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:21 am

I saw this areal photo of a new airport being constructed about 20 nm south of Bangkok, according to the photographer. I didn't know they were building another airport in the Bangkok area. Will this airport be the new international airport of Bangkok or will it be the same as London Heathrow and London Gatwick operating side by side? What will happen to the current airport in Bangkok, is expansion not possible at the current airport?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Hannes Meyer

Regards A388

A330Fan1

RE: Bangkok New Airport...?

Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:29 am

Hey A388

I understand, from what someone in Bangkok told me, that the new airport will be international - and much larger than the current one. It's facilities and size would apparently be a lot more modern and bigger than the current airport's.

That's all I heard, hope it helps

-A330Fan1

squirrel83

Sat Jun 26, 2004 8:36 am

Look at the architechture ~ Its amazing

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/sbia/index.shtml
A346, 7E7, 747, 777, Sonic Cruiser

swissgabe

Sat Jun 26, 2004 9:17 pm

There was once another interesting discussion, something like a year ago. There was a controversial discussion in Thailand, if Don Muang should be kept open or not. I think it might become an Air Force Base and maybe the domestic airport. But in my opinion a domestic airport only would make sense with a direct train connection from Suvarnabhumi to Don Muang and vv.

The trend in the region would speak for ONE airport only as in Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur.

http://www.suvarnabhumiairport.com is the official website of the airport ...
1319 flights, 183 airlines, 305 airports and 2,364,841 miles

elephantboy

Sun Jun 27, 2004 1:31 am

The new Bangkok International airport was expected to be opened in September 2005. I am not quite sure that the construction will be complete on time. The new one can handle 45 million passengers annually both international and domestic. It will have 2 runways initially.

The future use of present Don Muang International airport is not yet announced but some suggestion from high ranking officer was that it should turn to be the airport for LCC.

sq452

Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:10 am

I heard a lot about it already, when we were in Don Muang airport, i think they even had a some banners or what not mentioning it. Sounds like it will be very very nice and will again go up to compete against Hong Kong, Singapore, and KL.

Very modern, very nice, can't wait to fly in there!

SIN > CVG > BOS

geoffm

Sun Jun 27, 2004 5:11 am

That most reliable (!) of sources, taxi drivers, told me a couple of months ago that it is expected to open in Spring 2006... I thought it was supposed to replace DM, not be additional. DM is showing its age somewhat, and landside is a little cramped in places.

Geoff M.

planeguy

Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:15 pm

Let 'em build it slowly! I don't want it to collapse like the CDG terminal.

ualonghaul

Sun Jun 27, 2004 2:38 pm

Bangkok is very busy as many of us can attest to. The new airport will surely compete with HKG, SIN, and other SE Asian airports. I am excited to see it finished, it looks wonderful.

Now TG needs a A345/6 ORD-BKK nonstop!

Flying Belgian

Sun Jun 27, 2004 3:41 pm

Having been to BKK recently, I can say Bangkok needed a fresh new airport.

Don Muang is still a rather good airport compared to many European or US airports, but certainly not compared to airports such as Changi, Chek Lap Kok, Kansai, KUL or Dubai.

Can't wait to see the new one... Asian Airports amaze me !!

FB.
Life is great at 41.000 feet...

BA

Sun Jun 27, 2004 4:11 pm

I'm glad Bangkok is getting a new airport. I've always heard that Don Muang is overall a good facility, but doesn't come anywhere close to Changi, Chek Lap Kok, Kansai, Incheon, Sepang, etc.

Can't wait to se ethe new one operational.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

A388
Topic Author

Sun Jun 27, 2004 8:18 pm

I assume the new airport will be capable of handling the A380 as well? If so, does anyone know how many A380 gates the new airport will have or is it too early to know? I have never been to Asia but really would like to. Time will tell...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

A388

elephantboy

Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:18 am

The current design of concourse was not prepared for A380. The authority has a plan to add another concourse for A380s right after the opening of the airport. The number of A380's gate is not yet decided. However, TG is now building a hangar that can handle 2 A380s at the new airport.

Let 'em build it slowly! I don't want it to collapse like the CDG terminal.
I hope it won't!! Anyway, the curved roof is made of glass and fabric with steel skeletons.

boysteve

Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:07 am

I flew into BKK in April for the first time and was surprised to see a golf course in between the terminal and the Eastern runway. I was even more surprised when after landing we stopped on the taxi-way to let road vehicles leave the golf course!
Of course I was wrong, we had actually stopped to give way to a departing aircraft on the Western runway. A taxi-driver told me that Don Muang was used by the Thai military and it was they who used the golf course.

I have 2 questions;
1) If all commercial traffic is transferred to the new airport will the BKK code also be transferred?
2) Given Bangkok's road congestion will the new subway system (which I understand is about to open) serve the new airport?

elephantboy

Mon Jun 28, 2004 10:24 am

There will be a rapid train from the new airport to inner Bangkok. It might not be finished on time when the airport is open. It is sad that the train will stop at Makkasan where there is no connection to the subway (MRTA to be in service next weeek) or BTS skytrain. You have to park your car there and catch the train to the airport. I think the government is considering the plan to integrate all the mass transit system.

farman

Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:11 pm

Just a couple of points on this topic. The new airport will be known as Suvarnabhumi Airport and it is located about 28 kilometres east of the centre of Bangkok. It is planned to be opened by the end of 2005 and the main contractors still think this may be achievable - but there is a lot of work to be completed and the programme is currently behind.

There will be a rapid Airport Railway Link running non-stop Airport Express Line trains between Makkasan and the airport, about 25 km and will take about 15 minutes. Makkasan station will also be the City Air Terminal, where In-Town Check in facilities will exist (similar to HKG) and is located about 300 metres away from the MRTA subway station and close to a major bus station. The same railway tracks will also be used by City Line trains which will operate from Phaya Thai (about 3km further east than Makkasan) to Suvarnabhumi Airport, stopping at six station en route. The railway is due to be tendered for over the next few months and be in operation in 2007.

Finally, Don Muang Airport is to remain, mainly as a military airfield. However there is a strong rumour that the budget airlines will use Don Muang and the international airlines use Suvarnabhumi.

Cheers

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos