Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

YOW4NOW
Topic Author

Transamerica

Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:01 am

First off, I did do a search and found nothing.

What light can anyone share on this airline? I flew them once out of YOW on a charter to Florida back in the early 80's. DC-8, I believe. Was it strictly a charter operation? What was their fleet? Where were they based? And what affiliation did they have with Transamerica who's production logo I've seen on older movies and TV shows.

Are they still in existence?

Thanks!

David_itl

RE: Transamerica

Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:06 am

Fleet employed included several DC8s (5 or 6 I believe), 3 DC10s and 3 747s (not all at the same time I think!).

Don't think they exist anymore and can't help with anything else.

David

legacyins

Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:53 am

If it's the Transamerica I am thinking about, it was based in Oakland, CA. They were affiliated with the Transamerica financial Corp and diversified during the 1970s into shipping,financial services and even an airline. They flew a mixture of aircaft, including 747s.

timz

Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:09 am

They were originally (?) a charter airline called Trans International; they did start scheduled transatlantic service in the early 80s (?) but dunno if they ever appeared in the OAG. They did have a public timetable, tho. I'm guessing the name change to Transamerica came after the start of scheduled svc.

DC-8-73s, DC-10s and 3? GE-powered 747s that I think they bought new.

NEXtime

Mon Jun 28, 2004 6:19 am

I flew on the airline from Manchester (MAN) to New York JFK on Boeing 747-200 during the 80's. The aircraft should have routed from London (LGW) to Manchester and then onwards to JFK. However, the routing was changed and the aircraft originated at MAN, departed to LGW and then due to an ATC strike, routed via Gander before arrival to JFK. Arrival into JFK was about 5 hours late! No complaints though, there were some interesting aircraft in Gander during the stop-over! Flew back a couple of weeks later from Miami to Manchester on DC10-30.
Fantastic 4-Holers : Concorde, Boeing 747SP & Lockheed Jetstar - I'm lovin' it!

ltbewr

Mon Jun 28, 2004 12:37 pm

Transamerica Airlines was a part of the of business combination company of the same name. It included in the mid-1980's the airline, a sigificant insurance company (life, property-casualty, reinsurance, property title), business financing and leasing (like GE's financial services divisions), and even a movie studio, United Artists. It was created from a spin off in the mid-1950's from the Bank of America, due to then federal laws that required separation of insurance companies from banking companies.(those laws were repealed in the 1990's). The company was best known for it's unique pyramid/oblisk like headquarters building in San Francisco. The company was broken up in the late 1980's - early 1990's. Since the early 1990's, the insurance company is part of AGEON insurance group.
Eventually by the mid-1970's they started a freight and then a Charter passenger airline service which were both discontinued about 1987. As far as I know, they never operated as a traditional, direct sales of tickets to passanger service. They were an important operator of military and international charters. Twenty years ago this month, I was on one of Transamerica Airlines' DC-8's, for a round-trip charter trip between JFK and Shannon, Ireland. They had 'charter' rights flights between the US and Ireland and operated them for several years in the 1980's. There are a number of pictures in the photos area of a fine number of their aircraft. There is also websites that discuss their history.

Oceania

Mon Jun 28, 2004 4:52 pm

YOW4NOW,

As our mates have reported, it does not exist any longer. Northern
Summer 83 was the final flight I knew of. I worked for the GSA
in London 1981-1983 and was responsible for the supervision of
the weekly LGW EWR service at LGW each alternative Saturday Afternoon.

It was a charter throughout the summer carrying US tourists to
connect to Getaway holidays in the UK and on the Continent.
The 747-100 was configured for just over 500 passengers - tight
pitch with 33 on the upper deck. The floors were reinforced for
US Military Charters.

The aircraft had a green stylised T on the tail - not unlike the Transavia (Holland) logo. I have a notion that the contract - if not the crew and
aircraft were absorbed into America Trans Air. But I may be wrong - it was when we were all so much younger than today!

Oceania

dc8jet

Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:52 am

Transamerica dates back to 1948. It was a supplemental airline owned by billionair Kirk Kerkorian. It was called Los Angeles Air Services. I know they operated some Lockheed Constellations. In 1960 the name was changed to Trans International Airlines (TIA). The airline was sold to Transamerica Corp
in 1968 but the airline name was not changed to Transamerica until 1979.
Sometime in the 1970s they took over two other supplemental carriers, Saturn and Universal.

In addition to the DC-8s, 747s and DC-10s they operated a fleet of Electra and Hercules freighters.These freighters operated a large amount of military charters.

They did start scheduled trans atlantic service in late 1979.They operated several transatlantic routes. After two years of labor problems and increasing losses the airline ceased operations on September 30 1986.