Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vsmike
Topic Author

AIA --Anyone Remember?

Sat Jul 17, 2004 11:57 am

Can anyone recollect the American domestic airline AIA (American International Airways). As I recall, it was a mainly-leisure airline connecting the Northeast with California and Florida. Any interesting stories?? I did fly an MD-80 PHL-PBI-PHL in the early 80s, but was too inexperienced to save any related parafanalia. I recall one dark blue aircraft and one basically white one. I seem to remember some lenghty delays on that particular journey, but nothing that ever dissuaded me from loving commercial aviation...

VSM
Skyteam. Caring More About Me.

Falcon Flyer

RE: AIA --Anyone Remember?

Sat Jul 17, 2004 12:49 pm

Yeah, saw them in FLL quite often. Also flew B727-100 and DC-9s. (-50 but may have been a -30)
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

wjcandee

Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:44 pm

While starting law school in 1983 and 1984, I still had a girlfriend back in New Jersey. I flew them several times from ORD to Atlantic City, where my girlfriend picked me up even though it was a good distance from where she lived. (EWR was more convenient.) Reason: they were flying gambling junkets to Atlantic City, and most of the plane, if not all, was sold as a gambling charter. However, they had standby seats for $75, cash on the barrel if someone didn't show. You actually stood at the gate and waited, and paid if someone didn't show. I think you had to sign a public charter contract ticket right there. I'm pretty sure that I was never rejected (i.e. there was always a vacancy). Virtually none of the passengers had ever been on a plane before, many drank heavily, and most were standing in the aisle (there was one restroom on a DC9) trying to pee as the plane approached landing. I remember some male flight attendants in blazers and slacks who looked more like bar bouncers than typical f/as. On approach, they would have to use aggressive vocal tactics and a certain amount of physical intimidation to disperse the huge line of drunks trying to pee. Most of the pax didn't understand that the plane wasn't allowed to land while they were standing in the aisle. "'Sir', SIT." "But I gotta PEE!" "SIT." It was great.

They folded after stupidly trying to expand by flying out of PHL, as I recall. USAir just crushed them to protect its fortress hub. After Eastern left, they were never going to let anyone else in. After USAir screwed them with predatory prices, I fully expected the same thing to happen to the first Midway Airlines when it stupidly did the same thing. And it did. PHL is a death trap for airlines, and I will be curious to see what happens to WN as it tries to make a go there against a much-weakened USAir.

Best,

Bill

Delta767300ER

Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:53 pm

Didnt they operate L-1011's and were also affiliated w/ the Kalitta's from the NHRA?

-Delta767300ER

wjcandee

Sun Jul 18, 2004 12:00 am

As to the Kalitta airline, same name, different (and later) operation. The earlier one (the one I'm talking about), was a PASSENGER operation that folded somewhere around 1985, IIRC. Kalitta's operation is freight.

All the best,

Bill

luv2fly

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:17 am

Correction yes Kalitta's is mainly freight, he did dabble in the charter market for several years. It was around 1997 that the charter flights started. He bought a couple of BA's L1011's and also used a 747 that he had in passenger configuration. I worked for a tour operator that used them for there charter flights.
You can cut the irony with a knife

stirling

Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:45 am

Actual AIA slogan.....
You're on the button with the A-Team!
What the hell does that mean!!!???

Anyway, here's a brief description of the route system.
The MD-80 had a capacity of 170, the DC-9-30 had a capacity of 120!
WOW! That's what, a 27 inch seat pitch?  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Philadelphia to:
Atlantic City 2X (DC930)
Boston 4X (2-DC930 2-MD80)
O'Hare 1X (DC930)
Cleveland 2X (DC930)
Detroit 2X (MD80)
Ft Lauderdale 1X (MD80)
Orlando 1X (MD80)
Pittsburgh 4X (DC930)
Tampa 1X (DC930)
W. Palm Beach 2X (DC930)

Atlantic City to:
Boston 1X (DC930)
Detroit 1X (DC930)
Orlando 1X (DC930)
Philadelphia 2X (DC930)
Pittsburgh sasu only (DC930)

Boston
Atlantic City 1X (DC930)
Philadelphia 4X (2-DC930 2-MD80)

O'Hare
Philadelphia 1X (DC930)

Cleveland
Philadelphia 2X (DC930)

Detroit
Atlantic City 1X (DC930)
Philadelphia 2X (MD80)

Ft Lauderdale
Orlando 1X (DC930)
Philadelphia 1X (MD80)

Miami
Philadelphia 1X (DC930)

Orlando
Atlantic City 1X (DC930)
Ft Lauderdale 1X (DC930)
Philadelphia 1X (MD80)

Pittsburgh
Atlantic City sasu only (DC930)
Philadelphia 4X (DC930)

Tampa
Philadelphia 1X (DC930)

W Palm Beach
Miami 1X (DC930)

Typical fares:

Philadelphia to Orlando $109/$119/$149
Atlantic City to Detroit $69/$89
Atlantic City to Boston $59/$79
Orlando to Ft Lauderdale $59
Pittsburgh to Philadelphia $49/$69

Delete this User

wjcandee

Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:48 am

The schedule described must have been after they moved the operation to PHL. I think that it was originally based in ACY.

As to the idiotic button slogan, I do recall that all the f/as at one point wore gigantic round pin-on buttons (like campaign buttons, but like 3-4" in diameter). I don't remember what they said. Maybe the slogan was some kind of word play on that "button". "On the button" in general is of course a reference to on-time performance. I think. :>

Best,

BIll

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos