Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MikeM2648
Topic Author

NW 757 Emergency Landing - MSP

Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:21 am

I have a friend flying BOS - MSP - SFO today on the red tail and he called from the MSP Worldclub to say he had a scary Landing in MSP. The pilots announced they would be landing on one engine, landed fast w/ a bounce, and were surrounded by emergency equipment for 10 mins before taxi to gate. Any word on what this was all about? He does not know much about aviation but knew he was on a 757. He said the pilots announced the 1 engine landing while they were already on approach and that right before that announcement he heard a fairly loud rhythmic noise that did not seem right coming from one of the engines. Any thoughts?

-Mike

P.S. I saw the post about $29 flights from LAN - IAD this morning and went straight the airport. In DC for the evening having an unexpected dinner with friends!

bluejackets

RE: NW 757 Emergency Landing - MSP

Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:49 am

I don't know.. I can't even check the status of any flights at nwa.com.. it seems there's a problem retrieving flight info on the website
It's funny when I tell people I love planes and they think I'm weird.

dl757md

Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:21 am

and that right before that announcement he heard a fairly loud rhythmic noise that did not seem right coming from one of the engines.

That sound would have been the hydraulic power transfer unit(PTU). In the event of a number 1(left) engine driven hydraulic pump(EDP) pressure loss the PTU uses hydraulic pressure from the number 2(right) EDP to pressurize the left hydraulic system. A shutdown of the number 1 engine would therefore cause the PTU to start operating and the sound it makes is a loud rhythmic growling noise that actually comes from the left main gear wheel well. This only happens with the left engine shutdown as ground steering and alternate braking are on the left hydraulic system.

Dl757md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

MikeM2648
Topic Author

Sun Jul 18, 2004 8:39 am

This seems consistant w/ what my friend said. He said that before the pilot's announcement he thought there was a problem w/ the landing gear and didnt realize it was an engine until told (and then he assumed the sound must have been the engine),

-Mike

cv63

Tue Jul 20, 2004 12:27 am

Mike,

I was out spotting at MSP on Saturday afternoon. It was a little after three when I saw a NWA 757 land. Shortly after the 757 moved off the runway 12R/30L. I saw about 7-10 MSP fire truck race towards the jet. I couldn't see much because of the jet blast reflector were in the way. I did catch the reg. N527US. After about 3:30 PM the 757 moved off tarmac along with the fire trucks. I think were probably talking about the same jet. Thanks to pilottim747 for pointing this thread out.

Regards,

Ken

MikeM2648
Topic Author

Tue Jul 20, 2004 1:35 am

I wonder what happened to the bad engine? Do we have any way of knowing or does that info stay between the NW pilots and mechanics?

-Mike

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos