AirframeAS

RE: Skipping Your Connecting Flight (DL)

Sun Jul 25, 2004 4:29 pm

2. Yes, I did pay by credit card...should i worry?

I wouldn't worry about it because they cant, by law, charge your card without your authorization or signature. It would then be fraud and you can challenge an unauthorized transaction with your bank. So in conclusion, dont worry about it. You'll be fine.

Go have fun, kid  Big thumbs up
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

Evergreen

Sun Jul 25, 2004 5:17 pm

Am I missing something entirely here? For all the talk of CoC and breaking the rules and, incredibly, thinking myself "above" the others, just what do I purchase when I reserve a seat?

I only buy the right to occupy a certain seat on a certain aircraft that (so I'm told, anyway) will push back at one time and arrive sometime later at some destination. The airline has only promised to save the space for me; it is up to me to use it or not.

I understand the position that the carrier "could have" sold my seat to a same-day business traveler to the hidden city for big bucks, and that I prevented them from doing so by hiding my true destination from them. But if I sleep late and don't show up, they may not sell that seat anyway: they'll just keep the money I gave them for reserving the space. It's not as though they'll charge me more for not showing up, right?

I'll be honest.. I fear the carriers a little more nowadays, as any disruption on an airplane might put me on somebody's double secret list. But for the most part, I'm still going to do it.

skyhawk

Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:11 am

I brought all of this up to my husband earlier today(he is an SEC for Delta at Laguardia). According to him, Delta can indeed make changes to your credit card, contrary to what AirframeAS said, if they tell you why and what charges are being made.

He explained it like this: your reservation was made A to C with a connection at B(correct?). Because the 2nd leg has been eliminated by you, the 1st leg may become more expensive(even though you said it wasn't). This happens because when tickets get issued at the last minute they also become the most expensive. For Delta to then get their proper fare they would in essence "cancel" your entire 1st reservation(and issue a credit to your card) and re-issue a reservation for the part you actually flew(and then charge your card for the appropriate amount). So you may not pay as much as originally charged, but because the new ticket is issued at the highest possible fare, it may be more expensive. He also said that because everything is computerized,if you don't use the second leg of the ticket when you go to return home you will find your return portion has been canceled. That is because you originally contracted to go to a certain point and you chose to do something different, thereby voiding the contract.

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:03 am

I still find the whole discussion ludicrous. Not because of the legality, which we can debate for a few more hundred posts, but because people skip their flights every day and the sky does not come crashing down on them.

I have done it plenty of times, and will do it again on Thursday. I call the airline when I find out that I will be missing the flight and tell them. They say "ok" and that's the end of it. I have never been asked for extra money because that would make the ticket more expensive. My "missing" leg remains, as it were, I'm just a no-show. Considering the fact that most carriers can overbook flights because of these very no-shows, what's the big deal?
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

txagkuwait

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:19 am

>>Petazulu,

I am not messed up at all.....I just cannot believe everyone is encouraging this young guy to do something that could get him in trouble...and most of all dishonest....That shows me only one thing...and that most of you are nothing but opportunistic immoral people. You have no scruples and Whether Delta makes a butt load of money or not is NOT the issiue.. You are telling this guy to do something that might get him in trouble.<<

Okay, I usually take the high road and avoid the horns of moral dilemmas.

But my advice to the kid is to get on the airplane and go to Atlanta and blow off the connecting flight.

Here's why.

He bought a ticket to Myrtle Beach. As far as I am concerned he has purchased a seat, for his use, from his origin to Atlanta to Myrtle Beach.

This becomes a freedom issue. Right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.

If it makes him happy to allow the seat he purchased to run between Atlanta and Myrtle Beach empty, so be it.

What is immoral, and unconscionable, and ought to be illegal, is for airlines to sell tickets for less from point A to point B thru their hub than they do from their hub to either of the two points.

Bottom line: it's his seat. He bought it. If he chooses to let it go empty, that is his choice. Delta and the legacy carriers might squall about hidden city ticketing, but short of cancelling his return, they can't (or won't) do anything about it.

You know, it is funny, in the WN contract of carriage it states plainly "we have no penalties associated with hidden city ticketing" or words to that effect.

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 26, 2004 4:25 am

Exactly, it's his seat. He paid for it, after all. If the airline keeps it empty on the skipped leg they have even saved an infinitesimal amount of fuel. If they resell the seat, the have sold it twice. Bingo! In both cases, they win.

I don't usually plan to skip the leg, but if I was meant to fly it and my plans change, what am I supposed to do? In the latest case, I called the airline. They could only reroute me with 3 hours of extra flying so they found no problem with me skipping the leg.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

N6376M

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:21 am

For all this talk of what DL could do, who knows anyone who has actually had DL bill them for another ticket when this occured? I know plenty of FF who do this and not a single one has ever had this happen to them.

If you do get billed, dispute the charges and let DL prove why you should be made to pay.

-76M

luv2fly

Mon Jul 26, 2004 6:33 am

I honestly do not believe this thread is still going.......
You can cut the irony with a knife

sllevin

Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:58 am

Folks,

Delta might care if they saw a pattern.

There are any number of legitimate reasons why one might miss a flight, or two ... perhaps more depending upon your volume of flying.

I wuold just deplane in ATL and say nothing. Do nothing. They'll fly the next plane without you. They will know you didn't have any checked bags.

If and only if Delta hassles you, deal with it then.

Steve

AFHokie

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:40 am

Remember PIT is a hotly contested market. That is why your ticket was so cheap.

If that's the case, they why is it that on average the cheapest tickets I can find when I fly home to PIT are $300 or more? Big grin

FlyMeToTheMoon

Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:46 am

It is amazing to see that while we scream at airlines trying to shortcomings us (passengers) out of our rights we have no problems in breaching a contract if it suits our needs and mood. If airlines do it we go screaming to the nearest person in a uniform, but if we do it we think we are smart.

Read the contract of carriage and obey by it. And in the future print a copy of the contract and take it with you on the flight. And is if the airline gives you grief about - say - size of your luggage, pull out the COC and prove that you are right.

Fulfilling a contractual obligation is not optional. DL will not say - "Well, we will not transport you from ATL to MYR because we have changed our mind in the mean time." And if they do say it then get the COC out and ask for some compensation.

If you do it you will most likely not be caught. But is it correct?
Fly me to the moon... but not through LHR!

skyhawk

Mon Jul 26, 2004 9:53 am

What has bothered me about this whole discussion is that stealing, lying, and cheating are being condoned by the majority of the people here. If someone were doing this to any of you, you would be going ballistic. But because it is happening to a corporation, that seems to make it OK. Well, it isn't OK, no matter how you look at it, stealing is wrong.

StarGoldLHR

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:09 am

I knew somewone who jumped ship mid way once...

At first nothing happened... then a few weeks later he didnt come home one night.

Later there were stories of how airline patrols had tracked him down in the new territory of the mid-west. They found bits of his FF cards scattered over a wide area. Today farmers regularly plough up remains of his FF cards and donate them to a local museum.

He did return home eventually but he was never the same again. Small finger was missing at the tip. He screams in his dreams at night. Worst of all he doesnt fly with that airline any more.

My advice...

dont go to the mid-west.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Wink/being sarcastic  Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Wink/being sarcastic Smile/happy/getting dizzy  Wink/being sarcastic

[Edited 2004-07-26 03:21:52]
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:19 am

I'm willing to bet good money that Delta, and just about any other airline, has computer systems in place to track deceptive ticketing. You are extremely naive to think they don't.

Does this mean anything will happen here? Prolly not. But if you make a habit out of it, you can be sure they will catch you and could seek legal action.

It's not like it's illegal!

Oh yes it is. I'm surprised "Mr. I'malawyerthereforeimbetterthanyou" doesn't realize this. I would be shocked and amazed if the airlines don't have programs in place to cross reference illegally ticketed reservations with common names. If they see a pattern, they would be perfectly within their rights to ask for the difference in fare(s). If the passenger refuses, they could seek legal action, and they could easily win. Does this happen often? Prolly more than you think, but only in circumstances where passengers have stolen enough to make it worth it on the airlines part.

Remind me never to hire you Greg.

B

adriaticus

Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:20 am

Skyhawk... for as much as I may agree with you cheating should not be encouraged... C'mon. This example would be neither cheating nor stealing; what's more, the guy's giving away his paid-for seat to DL... DL may even sell that seat twice!!

__Ad.
A300/18/19/20/21/30/32/88 An24 ATR42/72 B721/2 B732/3/G/8/MAX B741/2/4 B752 B762/3/4 B772/3 B788/9 Concorde DC8/9/10 E45/70/75/90/95 IL62/86 MD10-30/11 SA340/2000 TU134/154

pgh234
Topic Author

Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:30 pm

Well everyone, I just talked with 3 seperate DL reservation agents and all said just to fly anyways and perhaps be nice and tell the MYR gate agent in ATL that I wont be boarding the flight. They all tried to change my ticket for me to just PIT-ATL but their computers wouldn't let them do that w/out a change fee so they said just to go ahead anyways and fly to ATL on the current ticket. Overall, all agents were VERY helpful and receptive to my problem and the last one I spoke to swore up and down that Delta won't charge me extra on my credit card for doing this. She even tried to credit me some extra money for not taking this last segment! So if even DL approves of my "stealing, lying, and cheating" (i.e. giving them more money to fly to ATL than I needed to), I think I am all set to go.

Well everyone, thanks for your help and you can all look forward to a trip report later on in the week (...or maybe not if the Delta police catch me  Big grin)

pgh234

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos