Interesting info concerning CO
's winter schedule....a couple of comments:
1. This winter, CO
will be short on 767 aircraft, as several of the fleet will be due for heavy maintenance, and the 767 fleet is supposed to be fitted with new BF
seats, similiar to those found on the 777 (bit wider, few more feature, etc) which may explain some of the frequency reductions.
2. Its good to see double daily service out of EWR
this winter, off season operation of the second flight (the later departure) has been on and off in the winter months during the past few winter seasons.
3. Frequency on some services are reduced, especially those to Italy, quite a bit.....likely the routes did not perform that well last winter. Although the winter schedule covers November to March, but usually most airlines take a second look at the winter schedule and make revisions for December (holiday period), February and March operation, and I would not be surprised to see some flights added back....especially if CO
does have aircraft available. I do know that maintaining both the ZRH
flights on a daily basis over the winter is difficult, last year the loads on these flights were not great during the winter months.
4. Interesting that service to Ireland will be with two seperate flights to SNN
over the winter....this is a first, I believe. Rumor has it that next summer will see 3 757 flights to Ireland (the additional flight being a EWR
flight), so this may be a preview. TLV
is going very well for CO
, it was just announced that CO
is the biggest foreign carrier into TLV
, displacing LH
is being very conservative with its new Oslo and EDI
routes over the winter, I think we may see frequency increases after Christmas (ie, before the summer schedule).
The 2005 summer schedule rumors for CO
transatlantic services that I am hearing are as follows:
1. A new service to another UK regional airport out of EWR
: Newcastle, Bristol, Belfast, Leeds have all been mentioned - I do not think that a selection of one of more of these (or any other UK city) has been made by CO
. The service would not commence until June 2005 and be operated daily with a 752 for the summer.
2. A new service to one or more Scandinavian cities out of EWR
- think Copenhagen, Stockholm and/ or Helsinki - again with 757 aircraft.
3. Although IAH
has been rumored for years, its seems that we may see IAH
) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA first, and introduced for the summer 2005 timetable. The US visa issues for transit pax is the reason - CO
had hoped to fly pax between Central America and Madrid via IAH
(as pointed out above), but now that even transit pax require a US visa, these type of operations are extremely difficult. Remember that IB
is closing its MIA
mini-hub for these reasons. Look for a 764 on the IAH
) (FRA / FRF / EDDF), Germany">FRA route.
4. Frequency will return to a daily basis for all destinations. The 762 at LIS
will be a short-lived thing and the flight will go back to daily 757 service next summer. Not much swapping or upgrading of aircraft - CO
is rather maxed out with its widebody fleet. EDI
will stay with the 757, per what I hear, CO
does not think it can fill 25 BF
seats on the route.
may become year round next winter......but the CLE
flight may start up again a bit earlier than normal. CLE
are still only in the discussion stage and, if introduced, it will happen only after CO
is well established in SkyTeam.
6. Other destinations out of EWR
are being seriously studied.......curiously, Prague seems to be a big favorite. Moscow seems to be out (per the rumor mill) but lots of talk again about Barcelona again (lots of US cruise ships operate out of Barcelona in the summer, which is an interesting market) but no mention of which aircraft type would be used.