Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Topic Author

Aircraft Interiors

Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:34 am

For those aviation fans who have flown on airlines such as Air-India should have noticed the nice floral pattern that they have inside all of thier aircrafts. My question is how come other airlines like SQ, BA, CX, UA etc do NOT decorate their aircraft. Also every seat on Air-India has some or other kind of design, and are mostly different colour, whereas on Lufthansa and United they are always same boring grey. On BA I saw that they have blue seats, but they have diffrent patterns (like waves, trees and animals etc frm world tails). How come major airlines don't decorate their aircraft as AI does and it's their standard to save money on not decorating interior of their aircraft and leave it plain.

[Edited 2004-07-23 21:53:44]

PA110

RE: Aircraft Interiors > Air-India

Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:57 am

Its a question of taste. Some will find the uniformity of LH tasteful, others will find it boring. Some will find AI's colorful interiors attractive, others will find them tacky. There's no pleasing everyone.

Bottom line is cost. Multiple versions fabrics and colors, along with specially designed wall coverings cost a lot more money. Airlines with very large fleets such as UA and LH have opted not to spend that kind of money.

Personally, I loved the interiors of Air Afrique before they went under. They were very colorful and welcoming, and gave a very nice African feeling to the aircraft.

For the absolute worst... try Eastern Airlines camouflage interiors of the late 70's and early 80's.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Robert L. Bradley

Look, it's been swell, but the swelling's gone down.

kyair

RE: Aircraft Interiors

Sat Jul 24, 2004 5:06 am

It's a matter of economics for the airlines. It's cheaper to do one seat cover design and plain walls. I prefer a simple design personally.

Airlines are simply trying to survive instead of trying to impress us with interiors, or anything else for that matter. Most figure that people just want to get where they're going for cheap and don't care what the interior looks like, what the f/a has on, etc. That's sad. Flying used to be an event.
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened - Dr. Seuss

SafetyDude

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:18 am

My question is how come other airlines like SQ, BA, CX, UA etc do NOT decorate their aircraft.
VS has different colored seats, and to my understanding, it is done at random. Aer Lingus also has colored seats, but theirs contain writing - possibly Irish, but I could be wrong.

Usually, when the seats are all one color per cabin, it is easier to clean and replace them.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

JAFA

Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:32 am

Reasons for the differences are:
culture
fashion/time
money
Some cultures juist have preferences for color & patterns
At the time the aircraft was delivered those colors were fashionable (think Delta brown).
As others have pointed out a uniform color scheme saves tiem and money during maintenance.

ual747den

Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:56 am

I like the fact that all the seats are the same and that there is not patterns on the wall. When you fill a plane with different colors it looks very cluttered. The space is already small and airlines do the best they can to make it look more open. And I don’t want flying to be an event, I just want to get to where I am going.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

JeffDCA

Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:01 am

I've been told that BA have BOAC aircraft pictures decorating their Club World and First cabins. These pictures are also to be found on the new First washbags.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

SafetyDude

Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:35 am

I've been told that BA have BOAC aircraft pictures decorating their Club World and First cabins. These pictures are also to be found on the new First washbags.
Not when I flew with them, but, then again, it was a high-business route and was in December - but what a lovely idea! I would love to see some cabin pictures that feature these BOAC pictures. I wonder if they might include Concorde in the future.

Smile
-Will

Topic Author

Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:40 am

Alitalia had different colour schemes on their old 742's for each zone like red, green, blue, orange etc.

Whisperliner

Sat Jul 24, 2004 10:10 am

Do the patterns of each seat ever get mixed up? I notice most of the more vintage aircrafts have most of their original interiors intact. I thought most of the fittings were interchangable...so if an airline is large and have fleets from different era's, are the mechanics specified to keep seat groups specific to one plane, or can they interchange them depending on conditions?

SafetyDude

Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:38 am

Do the patterns of each seat ever get mixed up? I notice most of the more vintage aircrafts have most of their original interiors intact. I thought most of the fittings were interchangable...so if an airline is large and have fleets from different era's, are the mechanics specified to keep seat groups specific to one plane, or can they interchange them depending on conditions?
I am slightly confused, but I know that on VS, the patterns of what color is where is pretty much random (except that a pair of seats have the same color).

On airlines with specific colors in each zone, I do not think that they mix them up.

Smile
-Will

Whisperliner

Sat Jul 24, 2004 4:20 pm

oh sorry, let me clarify...I meant, could they interchange seats, walls, partitions from an aircraft with a 70's decor with a plane from the 80's? Basically does the interior have to belong to a specific plane (I know everything is interchangable) or do they have to remain with the exact plane, like all the original parts going back to a specific plane when it goes back after a lease...

FlyboyOz

Sun Jul 25, 2004 8:52 am

I recall when I flew old Canadian DC-10-30, I saw lots of pictures of the Canadian culture such as Canadian Mountaineers (Canadian Police), red indians, mountains & landscape, Canada's flag and Indians columns inside the interior cabin.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

SafetyDude

Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:00 am

oh sorry, let me clarify...I meant, could they interchange seats, walls, partitions from an aircraft with a 70's decor with a plane from the 80's? Basically does the interior have to belong to a specific plane (I know everything is interchangeable) or do they have to remain with the exact plane, like all the original parts going back to a specific plane when it goes back after a lease...
While you could mix different eras together, it would be a matter of taste.  Big grin For seats, I believe that you can, as long as that they are the same style (a set of two, three, four, etc.). I imagine that some walls could be used, as long as the dimensions of the aircraft are the same. I know that galley parts are pretty much good for all types, except such parts as wiring, dials, and other specific parts.

Smile
-Will

aa757first

Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:04 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert Maturski
View Large View Medium

Photo © Mike Genovese

View Large View Medium

Photo © Randy Harrison
View Large View Medium

Photo © Frans Zwart - Dutch Ops

The ones on the left are professional, the ones on the right are silly. However, the TWA one has an excuse since that was a while ago.

AAndrew

Northwest717

Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:28 pm

I think the friendlier and the warmer a cabin looks the more comfortable passengers will feel. Continental's and US Airway's cabins look so stuffy and rigid, while Virgin Atlantic's is so friendly and warm. Even a splash of bright color like Lufthansa's cabins makes a world of difference.  Big thumbs up

-Tim  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Dubai: Center of the 21st Century

Type-Rated

Sun Jul 25, 2004 3:39 pm

It seems like bold, kindergarten type of colors are now in vogue..... They sure are bright!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos