Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

boysteve
Topic Author

Sharp Objects Onboard Flights

Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:25 am

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced totally contradictory security rules at airports/on airlines. Recently I flew EK; SIN-DXB-MAN and was given a metal knife and fork with my meal on both sectors. This was after I had to surrender a pair of nail clippers at security in SIN because they were too dangerous to have on board!
A work colleague flying back from a Spanish holiday had to surrender a hair slide she was wearing at the time as it had a sharp point on it. An identical hair slide in her scanned hand baggage either wasn't spotted or wasn't considered a risk. Needless to say she went to the toilets when through security and replaced her surrended hair slide with the spare one and boarded the flight without further incident!
Are these steps taken to increase the perceived view on security levels even though the overall risk may not have been reduced at all? Surely pax laugh at such contradictions rather than feel safer?

Blackbird1331

RE: Sharp Objects Onboard Flights

Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:58 am

Frustrating, no doubt. But, when you act within a set of rules, regulations, and laws, you still must do what is best as dictated by your concience. In this case, if I were you, I would report the "flaw" in the system to the proper authorities. Now that you have posted your experience on a public forum, you may have given a potential terrorist a window of opportunity.
Cameras shoot pictures. Guns shoot people. They have the guns.

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:10 am

Now that you have posted your experience on a public forum, you may have given a potential terrorist a window of opportunity.

Of course. Because terrorists are dependent on public forums like this one for their intelligence... Or maybe...

As for a metal knife with the meal, it's coming back. If nothing else, it won't help you get through the reinforced cockpit door. If the sharp object rule was the only thing keeping us safe, I wouldn't fly as much as I do.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

SafetyDude

Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:27 am

SIN-DXB-MAN and was given a metal knife and fork with my meal on both sectors
What strikes me as interesting is that I know on SQ, if the destination country does not allow metal cutlery, they politely include that on a card with the meal. I would be interested to know if at DXB you had to get off the plane, or switch terminals.

Currently, US security is upset with restaurants that provide metal cutlery within the secured part of the terminal.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

SPREE34

Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:39 am

A sharpened number2 pencil is a more effective weapon than most metal airline utensils. When will our supposed security experts ever get it? Quit looking at things, and start looking at people.
I don't understand everything I don't know about this.

L-188

Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:08 pm

And Boysteve, you have experience the ridculousness of the post-9/11 world.

There is a reason I haven't gotten on an airplane in 4 years!!
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ZKSUJ

Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:53 pm

"There is a reason I haven't gotten on an airplane in 4 years"
I agree that it was a horrific event, but those were 4 flights out of how many? It is a very small chance that it will ever happen to anyone, and with the security precautions now, it should not be a problem to fly.
What about the pilots, are they able to take nailclippers etc... on board?

boysteve
Topic Author

Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:18 pm

SafetyDude,
It was a change of aircraft at DXB but not a change of terminal. Thankyou for your post's, however I don't think I've given any terrorists a helping hand Blackbird1331.

N228UA

Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:57 pm

The most dangerous thing onboard is the food, not the knives  Smile

Seriously though, what about pens, pencils and the like? If you ban those blunt knives, why not ban everything else?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos