Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee
Topic Author

Who Is The 2nd Kerry/Edwards Plane?

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:30 am

I noticed tonight that Edwards arrived in Boston on a new charter plane. It's a 737, judging from the window arrangement on the cockpit and the front part of the aircraft. Only saw the part of the a/c in front of the wings. The aircraft was painted with the Kerry/Edwards logo and some other slogans and junk. The painting was similar to, but different from that on the Kerry 757.

I know that Transmeridian is providing the 757 that Kerry uses to get from place to place. This a/c on which Edwards was flying was definitely a different aircraft.

I'm wondering: from whom is it chartered? (Or is it Edwards' own? :>) I know that Miami Air often provides the press plane for the campaign (apparently, in part, because people LOVE their catering). But this is only a guess. Transmeridien doesn't have any 737s, but there are plenty of charter operators out there who fly them.

All the best,

Bill

SafetyDude

RE: Who Is The 2nd Kerry/Edwards Plane?

Wed Jul 28, 2004 10:44 am

I have not heard anything, but I imagined that we would have.

I will let you know if I hear anything.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

A340Spotter

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:05 am

Bill, Will, et al,

When Edwards was here in HOU, he flew on a Champion Air 727, which would possibly hold the same front end look to it as a 737.
Yesterday I noticed that TRZ711, the usual 757 flight number for Kerry, was flown by an MD-80 instead from TIX-ORF (Titusville, FL-Norfolk, VA). Then, TRZ7958 came in behind on the 757 along the same routing. Is the press now flying on his junkets as well?
Not sure why there were changes in types, flight numbers, but I also saw Mr. Kerry at ORF exiting a Gulfstream, which I suppose would be N157H of Heinz Co....if I was to guess.
Hope that helps,
Jeffrey
"Irregardless, it's a Cat III airplane, we don't need an alternate!"

rob2507

Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:17 am

Edwards arrived in BOS on the 727. Channel 7 carried it live.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 28, 2004 12:45 pm

I think I heard that over the weekend, their usual 757 had a mechanical problem and they had to use a small a/c, a 16 seater I believe.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Jul 28, 2004 1:09 pm

Thanks for the info on the 727. I had thought to add a parenthetical comment that it could be a 727 from the window arrangement, but I thought that I saw enough of the side of the aircraft to identify it as a 73. Guess not.

Now, the question is, "Was the 727 that A340 Spotter saw in Houston the 727 that Edwards arrived on in Boston -- in other words, was it from Champion?" Whoever the operator is has painted the side with the Kerry/Edwards logo, so they obviously plan to be using it for them regularly.

As to the question about the MD80, one guess would be that since Transmeridien has had some mechanical issues with the Kerry 757 recently, it could be using one of its MD80s to cover when those mechanicals happen. (At least two of its three other 757s are fully-committed to track charter operators, I believe.) Or it could, as you suggest, be handling the accompanying press charters as well, now.

As to the question about the press, obviously there are press travelling on the Kerry campaign plane, but there's enough press at this stage of the game that there is at least sometimes a separate press plane as well. There's a photo of a Miami Air one here on A-Net, for example (without any exterior titles).

So...does this mean that Champion got the charter contract for a specially painted Edwards plane? Or does that 72 on which he arrived belong to someone else? (Transmeridien flies 72s, as do Miami, Planet, Falcon and other operators.)

For what it's worth, I would think that these guys would want to stick to an outfit that is at least DOD-qualified, if for no other reason than reliability. All charter operators are not the same reliability-wise (as one now-defunct public-charter operator found out when it tried to use Sun Pacific to run its track charters...ouch).

All the best,

Bill

ERJ170

Wed Jul 28, 2004 2:31 pm

Champion does, in fact, have John Edward's KerryEdwards 727. He was in RDU a few nights ago. He flew it late last week before the paint job and again this past week with the paint job.
Aiming High and going far..

AA717driver

Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:40 pm

Welllll... If his chartered plane has a mechanical, he could alway fly on his OWN GV.

Man of the people my ass!TC

P.S.--Since Kerry has never had a real job, exactly how did he bump his net worth up into the 9-figure range?
FL450, M.85

SafetyDude

Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:40 pm

I just got an e-mail with more details:

FYI, Edwards' campaign plane is a 727, N679MG. Saw it at Logan via video Tuesday afternoon. Don't know where it's originally from as a.net doesn't have anything in the database with that reg.
Cheers!
--
kerry and edwards will come by bike or by feet . GWB will fly 747 as Air Force 1 for the next 4 years
Alrighty then.  Insane

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

AGrayson514

Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:00 am

When Kerry comes to Grand Rapids on August 2nd, how many planes will be included in his entourage? Also, will it be just him, or him and Edwards?

~ Andrew Grayson
Give a little bit...

RduBE90Pilot

Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:01 am

Just a note: John Kerry doesn't own a GV or any other Gulfstream. Mrs. Kerry has use of a Hinze owned GII, based in Manassas, VA. It is N57HJ. I have been on, fuled and chartered this aircraft several times. While it is a GII it is old and not overly up to date. Based on the GII market it's worth in the neighborhood of $4.0 to $6.0 mil.

Eric

Bobs89irocz

Thu Jul 29, 2004 5:16 pm

They have used N211DB (Miami Air/db Air/Falcon Air Charters) 727 from PIT-IAH for Edwards before. I work at the FBO here in RFD where the 727 sits when not in use.

wjcandee
Topic Author

Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:26 am

Thanks for all your responses!

--Bill

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos