Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alphascan
Topic Author

HP And VS To Code Share

Wed Aug 04, 2004 2:53 am

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix.zhtml?c=100552&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=599875&highlight=

Where does this leave Virgin America?

What about HP's relationship with BA?
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

Mikey711MN

RE: HP And VS To Code Share

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:00 am

Don't VS and F9 have some sort of relationship too?!? This could get interesting.

One thing seems for sure though...BA is out.
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

PHX Flyer

Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:32 am

One interestong aspect of this deal is that it is unilateral: VS will put its code on AWA flights, but you will not be able to fly to London under the HP code.

PS: BA already codeshares with AA - codesharing with AWA is pointless!
However, AWA maintains a closer frequent-flyer partnership with BA than with VS: On BA flights you can earn AWA elite status, on VS you can not.
"Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes forever skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." -Leonardo Da Vinci

SafetyDude

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:11 am

I have always wondered about HP and BA/VS, and they have a few interesting "ties":

-HP is partnered with American Eagle
-HP is partnered with Alaska Airlines, that is partnered with AA, BA, CX, QF, Lan Chile, and KLM and NWA
-HP is partners with Hawaiian, that is partnered with Alaska, NWA, and VS

It seems like HP is getting the best of everybody.

I wonder if one could earn HP miles from a VS flight and use them for a BA flight.  Big grin

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

Byrdluvs747

Wed Aug 04, 2004 4:49 am

One thing seems for sure though...BA is out.

Unless BA is initiating a termination of the HP partnership, I severely doubt this. BA is an important partner. HP wouldn't dump BA, with their larger system, for VS.

PHX Flyer,

PS: BA already codeshares with AA - codesharing with AWA is pointless!

Depends on what the passenger wants to do. AA's intra-west service is sparse, and non-existent in PHX. HP's value to BA will only increase as they are beginning to strengthen their west coast presence.

On BA flights you can earn AWA elite status, on VS you can not.

That changed this year. You can now earn elite-qualifying miles on VS.

http://www.americawest.com/flightfund/partners/ff_airlinetravel.htm

-HP is partnered with Alaska Airlines

HP has no partnership with either airline. HP's airlines partners are BA,VS,HA,NW,BQ, and possibly RJ(upon govt approval).

Yes, but Hawaiian being partnered with AS,NW, and VS are irrelevant since you can't earn HP miles on HA flights using non-HA metal.

I wonder if one could earn HP miles from a VS flight and use them for a BA flight.

Yes, you can. I have a few HP miles earned on VS flights that will go towards a couple BA F tickets.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

AV8AJET

Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:25 am

Does this spell the end to BA's LHR-PHX flights??? Wouldn't BA give up on this route with no connection traffic? That's the reason for LH leaving PHX!!! I don't wanna lose BA from PHX!!! I would imagine though if BA leaves then Virgin would replace, or just connect through LAX?! Hmmm
"To fly or not to fly there is no question!"

SafetyDude

Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:35 am

-HP is partnered with Alaska Airlines

HP has no partnership with either airline. HP's airlines partners are BA,VS,HA,NW,BQ, and possibly RJ(upon govt approval).

You are right, but what is so weird is that I could have sworn that they were. Were they ever partners?

Yes, but Hawaiian being partnered with AS,NW, and VS are irrelevant since you can't earn HP miles on HA flights using non-HA metal.

True, but it is interesting to see the alliances/partners the airlines have, as well as viewing things once NWA joins SkyTeam.

I wonder if one could earn HP miles from a VS flight and use them for a BA flight.

Yes, you can. I have a few HP miles earned on VS flights that will go towards a couple BA F tickets.

Thanks, but I was kidding around.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

tpk

Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:57 am

My guess is that BA's codeshare agreement with its OneWorld partner, AA, makes it difficult for them to expand their relationship with HP beyond what it is today - a feed to their PHX gateway.

Because of this, I don't see the new arrangement with VS as being in conflict with the existing BA codeshare. As long as the BA relationship is mutually beneficial, it probably won't change.

Byrdluvs747

Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:01 am

Does this spell the end to BA's LHR-PHX flights?

No it does not.

Wouldn't BA give up on this route with no connection traffic? That's the reason for LH leaving PHX!!!

Not necessarily. If the loads are good, connections shouldn't be an issue. There just wasn't enough PHX-Europe traffic to keep two longhaul carriers operating out of PHX. It probably helped BA that they came in first and established themselves with the hometown airline.
The 747: The hands who designed it were guided by god.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos