Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

deltabos
Topic Author

Another Thread About Flaps!

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:48 am

I know it's been discussed, but I truly believe that the greatness of flaps needs to be reiterated just once more. Nothing beats coming in on an approach and the last flaps being dropped no more than a minute before touching down, you can almost feel yourself slow down on the approach when they're dropped, even though they're also used to keep the nose down. Does it not feel like the plane is almost stopping when the last few selections of flaps occur? I LOVE it.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu

ua777222

RE: Another Thread About Flaps!

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:08 pm

It's like a flare in the air for me. I like the sound of the flaps. It's like the gun going off at the start of a race. This race being the landing. I think it's also cool to see the MANY different hook up's under/in/around the wing that you can sometimes only see when they are down. It's also amazing how these simple things can create such beauty and such amazement. It's always fun for me to look out the window from our 744 (only 744 for longhauls for me) and to be parked next to another 744 who has just arrived. There's almost a full winglet(6ft) difference b/c of the fuel!

Thanks again and great post!

UA777222
"It wasn't raining when Noah built the ark."

newyork355

Fri Aug 06, 2004 12:15 pm

I just went through my flap obsession. I always found it to be fascinating how many different types of flaps there were. For instance, the tiny, single slotted flaps on the A320, or the huge triple slotted flaps on the 747. And then there's the leading edge flaps. Some don't have them, some droop down, and some swing from out under the wing. In face, my biggest frustration with FS95, FS98, and FS2000 was their failure to accurately represent the flaps on the commercial aircraft that they featured. It's all good now, just the 777 leading edge flaps are off, but that's for a whole different forum. Anyways, back to the real topic, I always enjoy sitting behind the wing and watching the flaps go down. For instance, it was always interesting to fly the US Airways shuttle back when it had the 727 because the flaps were more interesting than the A320 it got switched to. I would have to say that my favorite flaps are on the 777. Anways, I'm glad someone shares the same obsession as myself.
"No Way BA/AA"

Starlionblue

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:29 pm

Many large airliners don't have leading edge flaps, the have slats. Arguably, of course, these are a kind of flap  Big grin

But the 747 has Fowler flaps. And the 737 has flaps inboard of the engine on the leading edge.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Type-Rated

Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:50 pm

The BAC-111 also had Fowler flaps.
Things I liked about the BAC-111 flap system:

It made really weird noises when actuating. (The motors sounded like little sirens)
You could see the rods and turnbuckles turning as the flaps were extended/retracted
When retracted, the flaps went completely inside the wing. All you would see on the trailing edge of the wing was a slot that the flap disappeared into.

Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

jsnww81

Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:14 pm

I also miss the whining "siren" sound some of the older flap actuators used to make (and I'm one of the younger members!) Flaps on the L1011, 727 and some older 737s make that mournful wailing sound as they drop down. On newer variants of the 737 and the new widebodies, all you hear is a muffled rumble as the slipstream over the wing is broken. Not nearly as nice!

I loved the L1011 flaps - when they were lowered in full configuration, you could see right through the wing. Granted, that still happens on the 767 and a few other aircraft, but it's not as noticeable as it was on the TriStar.

StearmanNut

Sat Aug 07, 2004 7:47 am

The "flaps" found on the leading edge are called Kreuger slats. LIke the trailing edge flaps, they assist in increasing the length of chord in the wing and to help maintain smooth airflow over the upper part of the wing at low sopeeds.
If wishes were horses, a Tail Dragger I would fly...

JeffDCA

Sat Aug 07, 2004 9:17 am

The "flaps" found on the leading edge are called Kreuger slats.

Only 1 type of leading edge flap is a Kreuger flap. These are the type that fold down and forward from under the leading edge, such as on the 747 , and inboard of the engine on the 737.

The other types of leading adge flaps are called slats, these involve the leading edge of the wing moving down and forward, creating a lengthened chord as you said, and also a 'slot', which allows the air to flow from the underside of the wing to the upper side, and hence re-energise the airflow over the wing.

Cheers,

Jeff
If something hasn't broken on your helicopter, it's about to.

clewatcher

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:19 am

I just want to say that I love flaps and spoilers, these are my favorite parts on a plane, other than tilted bogies  Smile
-Raymond

4jaded

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:15 pm

Yeah I have to agree I am a flap man myself... Nothing like a good set of flaps !!!!!!  Smile

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:22 pm

Krueger flaps are found on the the entire leading edge of the 747 and the inside leading edge of the 727. It's quite amazing to seem them fold out against the wind like they do.

Leading edge slats are like what you see on airbus's, 757's, CRJ-700 and 900's and such...
Chicks dig winglets.

trickijedi

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:32 pm

I remember the times when I intentionally requested seats directly behind the wing just to see some flap movement action. Those days are gone but will still once in a while sit aft of the wing and marvel at the beauty of these amazing mechanisms at work.
Its better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air than be in the air wishing you were on the ground. Fly safe!

soaringadi

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:43 pm

Yeah baby the flaps, and the sound they make....

Just amazing !!!  Smile
If it ain't Boeing, I'm not going !

KAUST

Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:55 pm

Ok now I have to admit I am flamingly tri-flaptual. I love flaps, slats, and spoilers.

I also love that afore mentoined feeling of "stopping" in mid air. I once flew on a Beech 18 with a guy who had only flown on major airliners, and when the flaps went down on that (relatively) small prop plane, his eyes went wide open, I think he did think we stopped in mid air haha.

I especially love this feeling in a small plane like a Cessna 150, cause you just kind of glide down to the runway. It's a really cool feeling, especially when you feel all the bumps in the sky.

KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

Type-Rated

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:32 pm

I had completely forgotten about those "Barn Door" flaps on the C-150 & 172.
If you have a strong wind directly down the runway, it can take FOREVER to reach the threshold! You really heard those motors work when you selected 40 degrees!
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

smcmac32msn

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:41 pm

Ok now I have to admit I am flamingly tri-flaptual. I love flaps, slats, and spoilers.

Thats the funniest thing I've heard on here in a looooooong time!  Smile Thanks for the great laugh and welcome to my Respected Users list!
Hey Obama, keep the change! I want my dollar back.

KAUST

Sun Aug 08, 2004 4:32 am

Thanks Smcmac32msn....glad I could be off assistance!

KAUST
"Houston, this is Apollo 8. We are now in Lunar orbit."

eksath
Crew

Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:10 am

..and lets not forget this flap layout on the venerable VC-10.  Wink/being sarcastic

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Suresh A. Atapattu

World Wide Aerospace Photography

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos