Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

akjetBlue
Topic Author

Cubana - YYZ/HAV, How Are They Routed?

Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:59 am

Anyone know if these flights are allowed to fly over the US?

bobnwa

RE: Cubana - YYZ/HAV, How Are They Routed?

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:05 am

This has been answered several times in the past few days. They fly over the US just as the US carriers fly over Cuba.

miamix707

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:25 am

Well Bobnwa, I myself didn't get to see those other threads.

Ajketblue

There was an agreement a few years ago so they could fly over US airspace or something, can't remember exactly what it was. Apparently before that they had to fly over the coast until they reached the northen states.. ?

timz

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:35 am

I haven't looked lately, but Cubana's Montreal-Varadero flights used to fly over the New York City area-- maybe over the JFK VOR, NW to SE. The only Tu-154s and Il-62s I've ever seen contrailing overhead.

MoneyShot

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:39 am

I found this to be an interesting subject myself. I asked the same question yesterday mind you, I have no problem whatsoever in reading it again. What I found out from the responses was that pretty much all is cool so long as the flights do impede on US military airspace and that they may not land on military airfields, or commercial airports with military presence.

I don't think that asking a question that has been asked before is really all that big of a deal. We all pay to use this list, I figure ask and hopefully people will be cool and not get bothered by something so tiny in the scheme of thing. Regards.

miamix707

Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:50 am

Too many idiotic threads and no one complains about them, in fact people get mad when it's suggested they conversate by IM since it's obvious they all know each other on the thread.

I didnt read anything about Cubana on the forum today when I logged on.. anyways no big deal. I agree with Money Shot.

..interesting I've never noted a Tu154 or IL62 contrailing. Could you tell the diff between a 154 or a 727? The 4 engines on the '62 should make for an interesting contrail!

cheers

timz

RE: Cubana - YYZ/HAV

Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:09 am

Remember the Tu-154 main gears retract into pods extending rearward from the wing? They show up in binoculars.

miamix707

Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:41 am

true, yes I guess one would need binoculars most of the time to tell what aircraft it is.

Aviationman

Sat Aug 07, 2004 8:41 am

I flew (and still fly) YUL-HAV on CU several times and we always fly over NYC.

Cheers!

dgehfx

Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:14 pm

When I flew from YMX to HAV about 10 years ago on CU we passed over NYC in both directions and made a 90 degree turn south of Florida. It was clear that we were trying to avoid the U.S. as much as possible. I have no idea of their current routing however I suspect that Flight Tracker would be useful.