Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

fokkerf28
Topic Author

VS To Codeshare With HP!

Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:13 pm

Why would virgin want to codeshare with America west when they are going to start a low cost carrier on the west coast.

scottysair

RE: VS To Codeshare With HP!

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:39 pm

Yes, they already announces with their new codeshare on HP & VS this week and will makr DOT for approvals to go ahead with these codeshare.

kim777fan

Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:55 pm

Any links with the specifics on this?

KCmike

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:02 pm

a big carrier from the UK codesharing with a western based US LCC? Whats this all about?
Cleared for the option...

tpk

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:06 pm

kim777fan

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:18 pm

"a big carrier from the UK codesharing with a western based US LCC? Whats this all about?"

I don't really see HP as a "true" LCC in the WN vein. They strike me as sort of a hybrid, in that they sell tickets on other travel websites and fly to international destinations.. etc.

Keep in mind of course that the only definition you need for "low-cost carrier" is a carrier that keeps it's costs low!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

nosedive

Sat Aug 07, 2004 2:37 pm

I wonder if VUS will codeshare as well. That'd be one happy crack baby.

America West and Virgin Atlantic have been frequent flyer partners since 1999, and passengers flying on either airline can continue earning and redeeming miles in either carrier's frequent flyer program.

Codeshare would be the next logical step, but why now?? Maybe HP and VUS will merge to overcome some anti-trust laws, and maybe I'll win the lottery. I'd guess Branson wants a codeshare so he can allow VUS to have a larger "route map".

Britair

Sat Aug 07, 2004 5:35 pm

America West have been codesharing with BA out of Phoenix for years now and that has been a very successful relationship. Strange HP would also sign with VS! But from a mainine airline's point of view, HP is good to work with.

expressjetphx

Sun Aug 08, 2004 1:37 am

Britair, HP has been codesharing with VS for the LAS-LGW (or LHR I may be mistaken) almost as long as they have been codesharing with BA on the PHX-LHR route. This really isn't anything new, I don't know why it's just coming up now...

UK_Dispatcher

Sun Aug 08, 2004 5:58 pm

It may be that VS & 'Virgin USA' will have no co-operation agreement. If it is a true LCC then there will be no interline agreements with other carriers, and flights will only be able to be booked thru res and the web, not travel agents / other carriers etc... HP on the other hand are a full-service, scheduled carrier with convenient connectoions. It makes sense for VS to transfer their pax onto this kind of carrier.

The VS & 'Virgin USA' situation may be just like the situation with BD & WW in the UK. bmibaby does not even have any co-operation with bmi - no connections at MAN, no interlining etc. The only association is that bmibaby are handled by bmi (check-in/load control) & Aviance (ramp) at MAN/EDI/GLA. As a passenger, there is no benefit.

bmi have their own codeshare partners in Star Alliance, as well as the likes of TP / BI / SA / GF / AF / VS etc...

[Edited 2004-08-08 11:02:08]