Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

trb10
Topic Author

Dash Q400

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:29 am

What's people's opinion on this aircraft? Do you like flying in one?

trident2e

RE: Dash Q400

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:32 am

I've flown on a flyBe Q400 from BHX to EDI. The aircraft was very comfortable and the take off performance was fabulous - I never knew a prop could give you such a kick in the back when the power goes on!

BCAInfoSys

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:34 am

I'll be flying one in Nov for the first time. But my parents have both flown them and love them! My Mom flew SEA-IDA on QX and couldn't stop raving about it; and she doesn't know anything about planes. My Dad flew one from MAN-BFS, but he's a plane junkie like me; he couldn't stop raving about it either.  Smile
Militant Agnostic - I don't know and you don't either.

YEGwestjetter

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:37 am

I don't mind flying them but I know the QX Q400's go mechanical in YEG at least 3-4 times a week. Just yesterday one flight had to ferried out due to engine #2 problems. A few days prior to that another had to be ferried out due to a hydraulic problem. And in the winter time these things are just terrible to work on. They are always freezing up - thank goodness the QX aircraft have no water service.

S12PPL

Wed Aug 11, 2004 1:38 am

From a passenger perspective...GREAT plane! I love flying on it! I'd pick the 400 over any other turbo prop any day. From a rampers perspective...and most pilots I've spoken to... It's a nightmare. APU's a P.O.S, a pain in the butt to work as a ramper...etc.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 11, 2004 2:19 am

Lovely plane, and I did get to jumpseat on landing to SDL (Sundsvall) once! The pilots liked it although they have to watch the pitch angle close to the ground. 7.5 degrees or you scrape the tail.

Very quiet for a prop, rides nicely. Lots of space. Looks gorgeous.

But I do know that SAS Commuter had quite a few teething problems in the first year.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

ScottishLaddie

Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:16 am

As has been said, excellent take-off performance, sit furthur back, no furthur forward than say row 10. The closer to the actual prop the worse the drone and vibrations I found.

matthewroy

Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:17 am

I have flown the QX Q400 several times, SEA-PDX, SEA-BOI, PDX-BOI and I love it. It's a wonderful plane with large windows and a spacious, sunny and airy feeling to it. Usually I try to sit near the rear of the plane for a better view. Love to watch the wheels of the landing gear after take-off, still spinning furiously as they are locked away. I'm sorry that there are no Q400s to be seen in PHX.
Non pilus tam tenuis ut secari non possit

LineMechQX

Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:52 am

S12PPL- Get over the APU man, its insignificant, its ballast. Not required for anything, not used in flight, not designed to be depended on. There's other things on this aircraft much more important.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Wed Aug 11, 2004 7:17 am

I personally think of the APU on the Q400 as an occassional noise maker (and I guess ballast as well). I mean we treat the plane like it doesn't have an APU so to me, its just a noise machine... sometimes.

Having flown on them, they're great to fly on. Having worked them, they're my least fave in the QX fleet.

Greg

Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:06 am

Basically avoid all props..this one in particular. Both trips went mechanical (and that was after the door was shut).
Give me good ole RJ, anyday!

Interesting looking aircraft....but CRJ700 has more floor and shoulder room...albeit a couple inches less headroom, I think. Anyway...since neither flight actually went anywhere I can't comment on performance....or lack of.

I understand they are remarkably economical.....when they move.

I think the backlog though is in the single digits...and BBD is desperately trying to market the bird....they even gave it it's own website at Q400.com
 Smile

Starlionblue

Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:19 am

Basically avoid all props..this one in particular.

Ok, let's pay much more for RJ service. I'll take a prop any day for short trips. In theory the ticket price should be lower.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Danny

Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:40 am

"Basically avoid all props..this one in particular. "

What a nonsesible comment. Q400 is comfortable and very quiet as for a prop. I don't find it much louder than ERJ145 for axample. (I flew multiple times on SAS ones).

geg2rap

Wed Aug 11, 2004 9:12 am

love it and I hate props....really a nice ride and great seat pitch on QX went out of my way to fly it GEG-SEA , PDX etc
Can't wait for NW to replace the Avro's with those baby's and I can see them in MSP  Smile (Hey I can wish)

LineMechQX

Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:24 am

Geg2rap, I'm with you on NW, love to see a fleet of 400's in the NW livery. Been a rumor in Portland for a while it was gonna happen. Haven't heard any more about it in almost a year though, too bad.

Late
PC

Greg

Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:44 am

Danny...not sure what 'nonsesible' is.....assume you meant 'nonsensical'.
But that's not true either...while it's very quiet 'for a prop'...doesn't mean it's quieter and more vibration free than it's RJ competitors--I don't see that at all.

While we made it a total of 20 yards before stopping again---I was not impressed--it was a rattle trap--and a new aircraft, at that!

I have been informed that the noise dampening equipment is not essential---and on many birds, many be turned of or disabled---making it more noisy than usual.

Judging by orders, airlines are not lining up for these things at all.

They are, however, according to all reports, extremely efficient in terms of cost.

Hopefully BBD can sell many more once all the bugs are worked out.

SuperDash

Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:16 pm

Interesting looking aircraft....but CRJ700 has more floor and shoulder room...albeit a couple inches less headroom, I think.

Greg, next time you fly on your precious CRJ, take a ruler. Then you can realize you have less shoulder, leg and head room vs. the Q400. The Q400 is way bigger and more comfortable. Get over your fears Greg. The Q400 is a great plane. Propellers are safe and cheaper to operate. The Q400 rides better than the CRJ. I will take the Q400 in turbulence any day over the CRJ.
Besides Greg, Horizon will be happy to serve you free beer and wine so you can get over your "fear of flying."

The other airlines are clueless and that's why they are in financial difficulty. I think Horizon has a gem. Give me a Q400 anytime to anywhere.

Panther

Thu Aug 12, 2004 2:39 pm

The Q400 is the best damn Turboprop man!!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Lukas Kinneswenger

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sigurdur Benediktsson

View Large View Medium

Photo © Thomas Maier

View Large View Medium

Photo © Peter Unmuth - VAP