Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DfwRevolution
Topic Author

Primaris Airlines?

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:05 am

Sorry if this has been discussed, but has anyone heard of Primaris Airlines, a new start-up in North America? They are targeting themselves for premium markets with 757-200s in a full F class configuration, seating about 130. They look to be based out of New York City with popular routes?

http://www.primarisairlines.com

Given that these routes have heavy premium traffic, how will majors react to this? I don't think it will have the draw B6 and their quality LoCo opperations had, but this looks like a quality premium product, which is one of the things keeping some passengers at AA, DL, UA, CO and others. Opinions?
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

MAH4546

RE: Primaris Airlines?

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:11 am

It is a ridiculous "paper airline" that has been "around" for years. They aren't taking off anytime soon.
a.

DfwRevolution
Topic Author

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:14 am

hm... news to me, I just came across them today. Any idea as to why they've not "taken off" so to speak? Bad management? No market?

stirling

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:23 am

JetAmerica
Muse Air
Air 1
Regent Air
Legend Airlines
Air Atlanta
McClain Airlines
MGM Grand Air
Private Jet Expeditions
Premiere Airlines

Are just a few reasons why the odds of survival for this airline are slim to none.
Delete this User

Crosswind

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:26 am

The first aircraft in the Primaris scheme has appeared in the last few weeks

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Justin Cederholm
View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian Stevenson - SPOT THIS!

Whether it is being operated by Primaris, or someone else, is another question - but it is flying for someone!

Regards
CROSSWIND

lowrider

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:36 am

Would not be surprise if this was "Primaris, operated by XX(charter) airlines. My money is on someone like Pace.
Proud OOTSK member

Crosswind

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:50 am

Lowrider,
Had crossed my mind...

Or even the possibility that the deal for Primaris to lease the aircraft had fallen through, and Ryan/Pace/Omni had picked up the lease and put it straight to work on their own flights, pending repainting.

Regards
CROSSWIND

seajet

Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:41 am

Primaris actually acquired 1 B757 and has received DOT approval to begin service as a charter airline. They still intend to start scheduled service as an "all business class" airline, but they haven't been able to raise enough capital yet. So, they'll be content start the airline flying contract service for someone (I don't know who?) with 1 jet configured with 160+ coach seats.

RP TPA

Tue Aug 17, 2004 8:22 pm

This looks about as real as "Crystal Airways" (www.crystalairways.com). Looks like either a virtual airline, or someone is being very creative. I'll believe it when I see it in person. Anyone with a photoshop program can create a picture of an airline.

Crosswind

Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:08 pm

4 different airliners.net photographers have been very busy with photoshop then. Conspiracy theory?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Jet City Aviation Photography
View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

Regards
CROSSWIND

dc8jet

Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:19 am

I saw this aircraft this past Saturday at DAY.It was parked at an FBO. The gate to the ramp right next to it was open and blocked by a police car. I thought perhaps they might be waiting for someone who would drive thru the gate and board the aircraft. Bush was on a bus tour about 10 miles away at the time. Perhaps a connection there?

atrude777

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:02 pm

yea iv heard them too

They were featured briefly in the newest AIRWAYS edition so they are in fact real.

Alex
Good things come to those who wait, better things come to those who go AFTER it!

pilottim747

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:37 pm

Primaris has been flying the press corps following the president of the United States. Their B752 has visited MSP twice so far (both following the president). It was at MSP on 08/04/04 and and 08/18/04.

It also seems like it isnt being operated by another airline. It doesnt operate under another airline's callsign, just its registration (at least for the time being).

pilottim747
www.mspupdate.com
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

LambertMan

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:43 pm

Even if thise proposed airline does get off the ground, they won't get far. Their business plan is severely flawed and they will be eaten up by the majors and crapped out.

They've tried several things to get capital to get the airline off the ground, one includes enticing desperate St Louis and their businesses to back them. They proposed DCA and a "possible" mini hub with a little backing, and apparently nothing came of it and they have since dropped plans to even serve us.

sfo212

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:00 pm

I witnessed the Primaris 757 taxi into Gate A10 at the International Terminal at SFO on May 24, 2004. I was waiting for our Virgin Atlantic flight to London to depart when I saw it taxi in. According to my co-workers it was doing a proving flight for the FAA at the time. As we pushed back at 4 pm for our departure it appeared to be getting ready to pushback itself (anti-collision lights, wing walkers, tug hooked up) Haven't heard from it since.

But just to confirm that it does it exist. At least one aircraft. Whether it comes to fruition is entirely another thing.

iowa744fan

Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:39 am

What do they intend to use on the LAX and SFO to London routes? Unless they have a special 757, I don't see how they plan on flying that route. Anyone know or can fill me in?

Also, about 130 seats in an all F scheme (or C) scheme? That still seems quite packed for a 757. I just looked at UA's new trans-con 757s for their new special service from JFK to LAX/SFO and they only have 110 seats despite three classes. If you look at Privatair, they have only about 45-50 seats in all C class scheme on their 319 and 73G aircraft. Anyone know about their 757?

debonair

Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:04 am

@Iowa744fan

are you looking for information on Privatair's B757?? well, it is also equipped with 3classes (or better sections)! click here for more details:

http://www.privatair.com/private_travel/our_aircraft_detail_lid_1_eid_443.htm

well, it will be wonderful, if United would take the same config. for ther trans-con PREMIUM-B757!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

[Edited 2004-09-01 02:07:39]

ouboy79

Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:55 am

Their 757 was flying the White House Press core in Ohio on Saturday. It left DAY and arrived in TOL around 1100am during the air show. Was quite a suprise as we were expecting United or another typical airline. After it arrived, it parked over on the BAX Global ramp next to two C-17s that were parked there. The funny thing was watching him find his parking spot...as he got lost on the the cargo side of the airport.  Smile

qqflyboy

Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:44 pm

According to the October 2004 edition of Airways, Primarus is a Las Vegas based airline created by Mark G. Morris formerly of DHL and Air One. Primarus received DOT and FAA approval in July. They plan to operate scheduled US domestic and international travel with as many as 15 757s if it can raise $60 million. Pending the cash, they are operating ACMI charters with an ex-LTU 757 with 126 seats. A normal two class config for this airplane is around 190 seats.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

qqflyboy

Wed Sep 01, 2004 7:54 pm

The livery above is only a partial offering of the final livery. The final livery, as showed on their website (http://www.primarisairlines.com) is sharp looking! Sounds like an interesting concept.
The views expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect my employer’s views.

hz747300

Wed Sep 01, 2004 8:26 pm

There might be a market for it on the trans Atlantic routes--doesn't one airline already fly the route out of JFK?. But within the US, the all business class concept has been tried and failed before.
Keep on truckin'...

ramerinianair

Thu Sep 02, 2004 12:52 am

PRIMARIS IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and with the shortest hold time for an airline ever. I called them and the young lady I talked to said that they have begun operations as they do offer charters. I'm guessing that's why you see their pics. She also said that they are looking to start their scheduled operations as of the spring 2005.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

n685fe

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:02 am

confirmed sighting in SLC about a month ago, came in atleast twice that I witnessed.

psp. lead by example

HeyMach

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:27 am

Newsweek's Atlantic edition of August 30 has a small article regarding Primaris Airlines transatlantic plans. It reports that the airline will only offer business class tickets but at considerably lower prices than the major carriers. According to the article a return ticket from New York to London will cost on average $960. Newsweek predicts that start-ups like Primaris will bring down the price of business travel. To quote from the article:

...the majors will most likely counter by matching the cheap fares in the hopes that the upstarts will run out of cash. But even if these particular start-ups fail, experts predict it's only a matter of time before one succeeds.

hz747300

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:45 am

PRIMARIS IS ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
and with the shortest hold time for an airline ever. I called them and the young lady I talked to said that they have begun operations as they do offer charters. I'm guessing that's why you see their pics. She also said that they are looking to start their scheduled operations as of the spring 2005.
SR

How long could the hold time be when only A.netter's know about them?

Did she sound hot?
Keep on truckin'...

stirling

Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:53 am

This guy Morris, tried it before and didn't work then, I wonder what he has learned since?
And funny, he's taken a STL path once again, since that was the base of his short-lived Air1. Used 727-100 in all first class cofig.
Nothing really changes I've learned, just the business cards.
Delete this User

qqflyboy

Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:45 am

hz747300... remember Midwest offers an all-business class product and has been around for years. I wouldn't call them a failure. But it certainly begs the question, "How could any start-up make it now?"

pwm2txlhopper

Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:24 am

I remember early this summer there was a news story in the Portland Press Herald here in Portland, Maine about this airline and its interest in flying PWM-SNN. supposedly the airline had been in talks with PWM's airport management about starting this service by summers end or fall of this year.
Apparently these talks never materialized, because I haven't heard anything about it since the story was in the paper for three days in a row. I couldn't really imagine us getting Trans-Atlantic service out of PWM, but the plan was to operate flights originating in elsewhere in the U.S. to PWM, where they would refuel and continue to operate to SNN. The same routing was to be flown on the return, with the stop in PWM made for refueling and customs clearance. Passengers would also have been allowed to board, or disembark at PWM.
It sounded too good to be true when I first heard about it, and probably is at least for now, but maybe someday.

ramerinianair

Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:40 am

"Did she sound hot?"
Sorry but she sounded like she was a larger woman. Young but probably overweight.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

DfwRevolution
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:46 am

She also said that they are looking to start their scheduled operations as of the spring 2005.

If they have a fleet of only a handful of 752s, I am guessing their inital service will be only a few routes. What are their long-term plans for growth? Second-hand 767s?

MxCtrlr

Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:30 am

Don't count these guys, or anyone else trying to start a premium-service carrier, out just yet. True, there have been several failures in the past but they are just that - in the past. The climate has changed dramatically and the need for premium-service carriers, like Primaris, Crystal Airways and others like them, can be justified on the proper routes. Don't believe it? Then explain how LH is doing so well with PrivatAir's sub-services into EWR? There is a market for premium-service carriers - now more than ever.

MxCtrlr  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Freight Dogs Anonymous - O.O.T.S.K.  Smokin cool
DAMN! This SUCKS! I just had to go to the next higher age bracket in my profile! :-(

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos