Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wjcandee
Topic Author

DL JFK-ATH Diverted To Einn

Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:12 pm

The CBS station in NYC is announcing that DL 120 was diverted to Shannon this morning because of "security concerns" and that one man was taken off the plane. Nothing more. DL shows the flight has continued and is in flight for an about-2-hour-late arrival in ATH. It was a 767-300.

If the flight continued after just 1.5 hours on the ground, I'm guessing that the "security concerns" were readily satisfied with the removal of the passenger. This suggests that it was either a medical emergency or, more likely, an air rage or otherwise-disruptive passenger. I would assume that such a flight would carry air marshalls, given the reputation of ATH generally and specifically with the Olympics. So maybe it was just a drunk dork who got into it with the marshalls. But I'm sure we'll hear more later today.

Best,

Bill

7LBAC111

RE: DL JFK-ATH Diverted To Einn

Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:19 pm

DL RESPONSE
FLT INFO 120/16AUG-17AUG
LOF ARR DEP ETA ON IN ETD OUT OFF ACF‡
JFK 550P 605P 603P 648P 763
SNN* 837A 525A 710A 710A 720A
ATH 1045A 1158A 108P 763
QPY 1159A

FLIFO- FLIGHT HISTORY EXISTS
ALL - NOW ENROUTE SNN-ATH...TPS 2.27-0630Z/17
FACTS-
1. ALL-

This is what Sabre is currently showing but no reason for the diversion.
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

LUV4JFK

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:14 am

According to FOX news, it was a passenger with air rage yelling at a flight attendant. I believe the unruly passenger is still in Ireland.

LUV4JFK
 Big thumbs up
John F. Kennedy International Airport: Where America Greets The World.

ramerinianair

Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:09 am

May I ask what is the reputation of ATH. They now have a new airport and haven't had any problems in many many years.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

Sam the Lab

Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:30 am

The person who was hauled off the Delta flight at Shannon on Tuesday was brought before a local court and was served with a three months jail sentence for his behaviour aboard the aircraft. I heard on local radio that he was making anti Jewish and racist comments on the aircraft and the Air Marshall had to intervene. Hope he enjoys the delights of Limerick Prison for the next few months. At least he will be out before Christmas!

wjcandee
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:33 pm

Uhhhh...TWA 847? A finding by the transportation department in 1996 that the airport "was not maintaining and carrying out effective security measures" pursuant to the International Security Development and Cooperation Act of 1985?

True, subsequent findings have been that security has been improved. But that's why I used the word "reputation". The repuatation has been not a good one.

My point, in any event, was that there were probably marshalls aboard, and, apparently from the posts above, there were.

All the best,

Bill

Sam the Lab

Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:08 pm

The perpetrator had decided to appeal his three months sentence to prison and has now been granted bail after paying a bond of 4,000 Euro. Heard there is a story about his ill mum in Greece. His appeal to the Galway Circuit Court should cost him a pretty penny though. Win or lose the lawyers will be laughing all the way to the bank! He will remember his unplanned trip to Ireland, that is for sure!

lewis

Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:33 pm

Uhhhh...TWA 847? A finding by the transportation department in 1996 that the airport "was not maintaining and carrying out effective security measures" pursuant to the International Security Development and Cooperation Act of 1985?

Its an entirely new and different airport nowdays. ATH has a very strict security compared to other airports that I have been to. After 19 years from the hijacking the reputation just isn't there IMO. Take some US airports for example... can we say that they have a bad reputation because of recent terrorist attacks?

avi8tir

Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:55 am

I came from ATH about a week before the Olympics began. Took the 12:10 DL flight to JFK. The security measures were like none I had seen before.You were stopped and questioned before you even got into line to check in. I was impressed. The airport sucks though. New, yes. But I would prefer my local SNA over that one. It was blazing hot and I was a *bit* hungover...so all I wanted to do was get quickly through security and get to my gate so I could sit down and get some water....the only thing was that once you go through security, there is NOTHING! I couldnt believe it! not even a little shop with refreshments! so I had to wait till I got on the plane to even get a drink!
*Long live the Widget*

StearmanNut

Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:16 am

I think it would be hilarious if this silly yo yo was banned from all airlines hereon and had to take a boat from Greece and the train to Shannon to get to court.
If wishes were horses, a Tail Dragger I would fly...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos