CAL
Topic Author

SkyTeam, Any News?

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:22 am

Well I haven't heard that much about the Sky Team membership lately.
I was wondering when the official date for CO, NW and KL to become members is? Will there be a ceremony or something?
Also I heard that SU was going to be joining, any info???
What are the requirements to get into the Sky Team membership and do the other members have to approve it or something, Thanks for all the help.
Sky Team Members:

Soon to be??

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Michael Mantoudis
View Large View Medium

Photo © Serge Bailleul

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tim de Groot - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rolf Wallner

Cant wait to hear what everone has to say.........

SafetyDude

SkyTeam, Any News?

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:29 am

The last heard, NW and/or CO will join in October. I remember reading that Aeroflot has been deferred a bit, possibly to 2005 but I am not sure of the date. I have not heard anything about KLM, but I would imagine that it would around the same time as NWA.

Kenya will also become a member, although a second-tier one.

Smile
-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

burnsie28

SkyTeam, Any News?

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:33 am

The date is September 15 for NW, and I believe CO is the same day. Dont be surprised to see SkyTeam logos around NW as according to passages they are already beginning to add signiage around NW.

CAL
Topic Author

SkyTeam, Any News?

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:34 am

I assume Kenya will become an "associate Member" what they are calling it?

Skyteam10001

SkyTeam, Any News?

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:46 am

RCS763 AFAIK I have never seen any official annoucement confirming that NW and CO would get in skyteam on 9/15. Still waiting on that. Discussed to death maybe but still no official word  Big grin

burnsie28

RE: SkyTeam, Any News?

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:50 am

It is in the NW employee and NW CEO Richard Anderson continues to say September 15.

moose1226

Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:55 am

When will NW replace their DC-9s??? Do a search before posting please, its been discussed at least 10 times.

When that question is not asked in any airliners.net forum topic for a total of two months, NW will place an order to replace their DC-9 fleet.  Smile

SafetyDude

Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:06 am

I assume Kenya will become an "associate Member" what they are calling it?
Could you try me again?

Some say that Kenya will be a full member, although others - including the more reliable ones - say that it will be an associate member/second-tier.

I have never seen any official annoucement confirming that NW and CO would get in skyteam on 9/15. Still waiting on that.
You will probably not hear anything until the 15th. My guess is that they will announced they are joining on the 15.

In other news, here in New York, Delta has begun what appears to be a new ad-campaign where the ads simply and only say "Delta" and have a very large SkyTeam-logo next to it - perhaps a reminder to the city with the most non-stop destinations that with all of the airlines joining, they too are a member?  Big grin

-Will

BA

Wed Aug 18, 2004 11:32 am

After me and a few of the Lebanese members on these forums met with MEA's CEO Mohammad El-Hout, he confirmed that MEA will become an associate SkyTeam member next year.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:01 pm

NW, CO, KLM around mid Sept.

Aeroflot Spring 2005.

Kenya and Malev will be associate members.

That's it, still no word on MEA at any level.  Big grin

Take it to the bank.

B

CAL
Topic Author

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:05 pm

I am real surprised that with all of the Aviation connoisseurs that we have here at Airliners.net that's all the information you guys have.
No one in the loop have any info???

TBCITDG

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:14 pm

Any news as to whether any South American carrier will join the team??

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:17 pm

No one in the loop have any info???

Ahem...  Big grin

B

flyTPA

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:22 pm

What does it mean to be an "associate member" in relation to a "full-fledged" one?

Will I be able to use my DL Skymiles to fly on these? Will they participate in the Sky Teamp round-the-world tickets?

I'm planning on using my miles next year to do a RTW, and having more options to choose from would be great.
Signore e signori-benvenuti a bordo questo volo per l'Italia!

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:33 pm

The "associate membership" thing is kinda new. The only thing I've heard is they wont be full members...Think of them more as code share partners with most if not all ST members.

As far as the full details as to what the differences are, I do not know yet.

B

BA

Wed Aug 18, 2004 12:40 pm

Mohammad El-Hout explained to us what an associate member is.

Basically they get the benefits that full members have such as code-share agreements within the alliance, frequent flyer agreements, lounge access, the SkyTeam marketting, and even the logo.

What associate members lack is they do not have voting rights within the alliance and don't have much of a say in membership approvals among other things.

Regards
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

burnsie28

Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:44 pm

I guess no one read, NW will be a member of SkyTeam starting September 15.

Skyteam10001

Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:57 pm

I understand. So I won't expect to hear/read anything official regarding NW, CO and KL's entry in Skyteam before 9/15. I just wanted to be 100% sure before purchasing an EWR-GIG ticket on CO for november... guess what ? I'll have to wait  Smile

CAL
Topic Author

Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:27 am

In one of Gordons employee voice mails he mentioned something about us joining soon. I'm pretty sure it will be 9/15.

Fokker50

Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:47 am

Also I can tell you hwo will be the next SkyTeam member; AVIANCA!!!! Lte's hope it happens!.......  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © Alvaro Gonzalez

FOKKER50
Bogota, the South american gateway!

mauriceb

Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:15 am

ummmm Aeromexico already is in the Sky Team

Also I can tell you hwo will be the next SkyTeam member; AVIANCA!!!! Lte's hope it happens!.......

it won't get accepted in the Sky team, to bad shape and i guess to small.... also since CO owns a bit? (not for sure about that one) i guess the will join the team a bit

greetz maurice

Fokker50

Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:22 am

Why not??? Has codeshare with DL, and AF. This are links that can be accepted in the alliance, AV is not small, has not a very good financial times, but better times will come. Also they have strongly Colombian market, also the better timetables of all south American region, and of course, their hub is in the point of development of the Andean region.

FOKKER50

mauriceb

Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:46 am

hey Fokker50 , youre not the only one that would have loved it when they joined Skyteam but i still think it isn't possible (look to my last post)

also with Aeromexico in the team i don't think they will need avianca

greetings maurice

Fokker50

Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:51 am

Well..... for my single point of vew, AM can cover all central american routes, and Av can cover all s.American routes. They would be a nice partnership.

ConcordeBoy

Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:54 am

What does AM being in SkyTeam have to do with a S.American member joining?
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

CAL
Topic Author

Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:11 am

Last I checked AM was not in South America, and if you want to connect pax with them they only fly to Chile, Brazil, and Peru. I believe that if anyone down south is to become a member soon it would be COpa. With their connection with Continental. What do you all think about that?

cuautli

Sun Aug 22, 2004 3:31 pm

My dear friends, for your information México is not in South America, México is in North America!!!

dancerrada

Sun Aug 22, 2004 6:59 pm

Hi everyone!!
It´s my pleasure to share with you guys this discussions for the first time. Yes, first time writer!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
There's one more company which will be a part of the SkyTeam Alliance on November 04. It´s called Air Europa, AEA, and it's a Spanish company which already has codeshare agreements with SkyTeam members.
Here's a photo.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Johan Ljungdahl

cheers,

dancerrada

L410Turbolet

Sun Aug 22, 2004 8:21 pm

SkyTeam needs one more SE Asian carrier badly, since KE's coverage of Far East other than China and Japan is nothing special.
Same goes for South America.

It's sad to see SkyTeam is creating this new 2nd class "associate" membership, which I don't see as doing any good for involved airlines. Same way it's no great benefit for OneWorld's 2nd tier airlines.

SafetyDude

Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:17 pm

I understand. So I won't expect to hear/read anything official regarding NW, CO and KL's entry in Skyteam before 9/15. I just wanted to be 100% sure before purchasing an EWR-GIG ticket on CO for november... guess what ? I'll have to wait

Why do you have to wait? If you are concerned about crediting mileage to another airline, CO is already partnered with DL, KLM, and NWA (http://www.continental.com/onepass/earn/airline/default.asp), unless, of course, you plan on getting the mileage with a SkyTeam airline.

Smile
-Will

Skyteam10001

Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:40 pm

thanks Will - but I am F+ Rouge on AF with almost 200K miles in my account so I'd rather keep on accruing miles with AF  Big grin

cheers

Gitano

Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:07 am

CO will join Sept 15. Many Departments at CO are already getting trained on SkyTeam procedures.

Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:43 am

No Avianca

No Air Europa...lol

How do you people come up with this stuff?

B

mauriceb

Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:02 am

concordeboy wrote:

Maurice B: Any news as to whether any South American carrier will join the team??

Concorde boy:
What does AM being in SkyTeam have to do with a S.American member joining?

He askes when a South american airline will join Skyteam, so i said that there is already one.. (thinking he thinks that there isn't a south american airline in the skyteam yet)

greetings maurice

EddieDude

Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:34 am

Maurice, Mexico is not in South America. And its presence in South America is very meager (only flies to SCL, GRU and LIM and not even on a daily basis). AM's strength is domestic service within Mexico and good connections between Mexico and the U.S. The next step of AM's expansion is adding more frequencies to MAD and CDG and, eventually, to its South American destinations. (By the way Maurice, I see you joined a.net this month, so welcome!).

In addition, Fokker50 mentioned AM could serve the Central American market for SkyTeam but this is incorrect too. The only carriers flying between Central America and Mexico are MX, CM, TA and Tikal Jets. AM had plans to fly to Honduras (nobody flies non-stop between Honduras and Mexico as far as I know) but this will not happen after all.

Bottomline, SkyTeam definitely needs a South American carrier because it does not have an established presence in South America. I don't know if AV would be a good choice. The location of BOG is fantastic, but I am not so sure that AV has a good coverage of South America; perhaps our Colombian friends can let us know. JJ would be an awesome addition but it would have to add more international destinations first (so far they only fly to CDG, MIA and EZE).

With respect to Asia, I am very looking forward to MH's decision to apply to SkyTeam later this year or sometime next year. SkyTeam is the weakest carrier in Asia and would definitely benefit from MH's membership.
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

dalfannyc

Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:32 am

When will there be skyteam planes with skyteam livery, such as the star alliance planes with the individual airline logo on it???

ghost77

Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:02 am

Last I checked AM was not in South America, and if you want to connect pax with them they only fly to Chile, Brazil, and Peru. I believe that if anyone down south is to become a member soon it would be COpa.

AeroMexico sure has a big lack of presence in Central and South America, but a few months ago AeroMexico and Mexicana had been working as a sole carrier. How? If AM flight is packed and AM has pax on ground and if MX has a flight to the same destination leaving 30 mins later and empty seats, there's a big chance you can fly MX in order to get to your point and also this was made to cause the less problems to the passengers, fight against other carriers in the market and to earn miles if you fly any airline.

Point here is, and if Im not mistaken ALL MX routes had been added to SkyTeam routes. For instance if someone from France wants to get to Guatemala and flies AM to MEX I think you can connect with MX to GUA.

So Skyteam has now more routes with MX. Also CINTRA signed with LAN an agreement. AM pax flying to SCL can now connect anywhere LA flies.

If Im not mistaken Skyteam in Central and South America is being covered by MX, AM and LA.

Ricardo APM

Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!

dancerrada

Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:11 am

Hi again,

NonRevKing,

I just read the article and that's why I considered I could say Air Europa will join Sky Team Alliance on Nov 04. For my first writing at the forum, it wasn't my intention to cheat you guys.

here's the link.

http://www.lukor.com/not-neg/empresas/0406/27121233.htm

and this one for English speakers.

http://www.luchtzak.be/article4945.html

regards,
dancerrada

aer

Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:18 am

I had heard a rumor that Air Europa (UX) was a candidate for the team.
nice and spacious airports in need of new airlines and flights... GUA or FRS anyone?... anyone at all?

kim777fan

Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:14 am

What about JM? The fleet is pretty modern with several US destinations and connections to a wide variety of Caribbean destinations. Already has extensive code-sharing and reciprocal mileage agreement with DL.

MAS777

Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:25 am

Hottest tip from Southeast Asia so far...

View Large View Medium

Photo © Montague Smith

Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:36 am

Air Europe still isn't joining sky team. That link provides no proof to back up this claim.

No invitation = Not joining.

It's a simple as that.

B

B4REAL

Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:55 am

Looks like China Southern to join as well:

From: http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040822/airlines_china_southern_1.html

China Southern aims to join global airline alliance
Sunday August 22, 10:06 pm ET

SHANGHAI, Aug 23 (Reuters) - China Southern Airlines Ltd (HKSE:1055.HK - News), the country's largest carrier, is expecting to become the first Chinese airline to join a global alliance, beating domestic rivals to the punch in expanding its worldwide network.

China Southern (Shanghai:600029.SS - News; NYSE:ZNH - News) will sign a memorandum of understanding on Saturday to enter SkyTeam, an alliance whose members include Air France (Paris:AIRF.PA - News), Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL - News) and Korean Air (KSE:003490.KS - News), an airline spokesman said on Monday.

The spokesman for the Guangzhou-based airline declined to give further details.

Last year, Air China and United Airlines (OTC CTA (Switzerland)">BB:UALAQ.OB - News) signed a code-share deal, which analysts saw as a first step for Air China to join the world's biggest airline network, Star Alliance, anchored by United and Lufthansa AG (XETRA:LHAG.DE - News).

Alliances help member airlines effectively extend their networks through connections and code shares -- which allow partners to sell tickets on each other's flights.

It also allows passengers to take advantage of joint frequent-flyer programmes.

China is one of the world's fastest-growing travel markets with an emerging middle class driving demand for business and leisure travel.

B4REAL, spelled like it sounds & @RickVanover on Twitter

dancerrada

Mon Aug 23, 2004 11:23 pm

NonRevKing,

Whatever. You're free to believe press or not.

Just for the ones who may give some credibility to press, I´d like you to notice it is not Air Europe the company I´m talking about. That's a different company and actually that one is not getting into the SkyTeam. However, Air Europa will join Nov 04.

Regards,
dan

EddieDude

Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:31 am

Dan, welcome to the forum. I look forward to reading your comments and opinions throughout the forum. By the way, do you know if UX and AM plan to expand their codeshare or if the same will be limited only to UX's MAD-CUN-MAD flights?
Upcoming flights:
April/May: AM MEX-SCL 788 (J), AM EZE-MEX 789 (J).

kim777fan

Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:08 pm

How does China Southern's route structure compare with air China as far as extending Sky Teams reach in Asia?

Air China was once listed as a code-share & frequent flyer miles partner with NW. I would presume THAT relationship is now kaput. Correct??

globetrekker

Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:06 pm

Kim777fan,

I was wondering the same thing...........

Anybody knows?
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

United Airline

Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:49 pm

Isn't Malaysia Airlines joining?????? When?

globetrekker

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:57 pm

I've heard the rumours too, but nothing is official yet about MH joining.
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

bobnwa

Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:17 pm

Kim777fan,
Northwest and Air China ended relationship quite a while back.

GlobeTrekker,
Have you heard rumors anywhere but on this board when members are replying to rumors they have heard on this board. That being said MS may very well be joining Skyteam.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos