Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flightuk
Topic Author

Airbus 380 Configuration

Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:04 pm

I have been reading some discussions on the 380 passenger configurations, mainly how many passengers will it carry. I know that Airbus during the design phase of the aircraft would poll the major airlines for input on their requirements and try and represent these in the aircrafts design. However if you look at the early marketing material and mockups at major airshows, Airbus had shops, cinemas, gyms etc.... How much say do the major airlines have in the cabin layout? Also could it be possible for Virgin as an example to have a single coach/economy layout and stuff it to the gills with 700 passengers and offer very cheap transalantic flights?

Braybuddy

RE: Airbus 380 Configuration

Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:27 pm

I would say each airline has TOTAL say over configuration. If Emirates decides to configure its A380s in entirely luxury configuration with 200 seats and a restaurant, cinema, gym, bar, discotheque, swimming pool, sauna, creche and brothel that is its own business. I would say some of the wealthier airlines will go down that route (well, part of it anyway). Most will decide on a compromise. It's interesting that no Japanese airline has ordered the aircraft (maybe Japanese industry is too tied to Boeing) as surely they would just LOVE to squeeze 700 passengers in the way they did similarly with the 747 for their high-density domestic routes

[Edited 2004-08-20 15:31:21]

Starlionblue

Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:42 pm

700 pax would not currently be feasible because the flying slug will only be certified for 555 pax to start with. In the future is anybody's guess.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

leelaw

Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:21 am

The A380s will ultimately be stuffed with as many seats as possible. The mix between luxury and economy seating will vary by carrier, but "common areas" will be limited. The U.S. Domestic airlines experimented with passenger "lounges" on jumbos during a period of declining traffic in the early seventies when they replaced some seating with lounges. The airlines found that the common areas didn't work then as they caused problems during boarding, couldn't be utilized when passengers were restricted to their seats, and that additional movement by passengers about the cabin to access lounge areas interfered with food/beverage service. Does anyone know how much time on average, on flights of 3 hours or more, the passengers are restricted to their seats during takeoff/climbout, food service, rough weather/air conditions, approach/landing as a percentage of total flight time?
Lex Ancilla Justitiae

kim777fan

Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:11 am

I have to agree with Leelaw. I remeber how the 747 was going to have a piano lounge etc.... I haven't found an airline yet that hasn't filled up their planes with as many revenue seats as possible. I guess they figure things like restaurants, lounges, and such are best left to trains and boats.

dtwclipper

Sat Aug 21, 2004 3:59 am

At the rear of the upper level....a spacious area that allows for a luxurious lounge, or a conference room, or two private state rooms. There is certainly room for any number of out-of-the ordinary passenger features. A separate cinema or additional state rooms.

1968 Pan American brochure.

Well, we all know what happened. Oh, the upper deck lounge lasted for a while, and AA had the Piano Bar as well, but in the long run it is seat revenue that counts.
Compare New York Air, the Airline that works for your Business

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos