Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SafetyDude
Topic Author

Why Do Some Planes Have A/C Type On Fuselage?

Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:28 am

Hi all,
I have been wondering about this for quite some time. Some planes will say what type of plane it is on the fuselage, and others will not.

Is there a specific reason as to why some airlines do say what type of plane it is, and others do not?

Some BA 777s have the "Boeing 777" identification and some do not.
With:
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David Gopaul
View Large View Medium

Photo © Bernardo Andrade

Without:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Justin Wood
View Large View Medium

Photo © Marian Musil

Virgin Atlantic places the type-identification at the front:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Simon G. Boothroyd
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

Qantas places the type-identification near the wing:

A320 with type-identification marks:
View Large View Medium

Photo © R.Hesse

A320 without type-identification marks:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Josh Akbar

It also seems to be standard that airlines that do place the type-identification will include the variant if they have more than one variant, but JAL and Thai do not do that:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Spijkers
View Large View Medium

Photo © K.H. Ng

(Note: AF does place the type-identification on their 773ERs, but it is at the front and includes "-300ER")

View Large View Medium

Photo © Bailey - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Resocha

KLM places the type-identification on their 777s:
View Large View Medium

Photo © F van Moos

SQ does not:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Benny Zheng

(Note: SQ does place the type-identification on their 345s: )
View Large View Medium

Photo © Steve Gonzales

Placing the type-identification marks certainly varies by airline and aircraft, but is there a "general rule of thumb" that applies to this?

Sorry for any headaches.  Wink/being sarcastic

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

kl911

RE: Why Do Some Planes Have A/C Type On Fuselage?

Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:33 am

Most of the time you'll find it on the front next to the door, so pax boarding can see what airplane it is, and maybe also for the staff operating the jetways.

KL911

SafetyDude
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:43 am

Most of the time you'll find it on the front next to the door,
Almost all planes have it on the rear.

so pax boarding can see what airplane it is,
They would not care, and usually it is out of the range of where the jetway would be.

and maybe also for the staff operating the jetways.
They should know without the titles, not to mention it is rather small.

Smile
-Will

fspilot747

Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:43 am

Because some airlines feel like it and others don't.

Simple as that =)

[Edited 2004-08-23 18:44:21]

kl911

Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:52 am

''Almost all planes have it on the rear.'''

Sorry, but all planes I board in Europe, mostly 737/320 have it next to the door, clearly visible from the jetway just before you enter the plane...

Laugh out loud
KL911

citationjet

Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:29 am

There is no rule of thumb. It is just the airline preference, just like the color scheme.
FWIW, Braniff in the early 1960s wanted to distinguish the fact that their Boeing 707s had more powerful engines than the competition, so they painted 707-227 on the aft fuselage. The 227 was in larger lettering to emphasise the point.

View Large View Medium

Photo © David Schulman

Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

SafetyDude
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2004 2:33 am

Sorry, but all planes I board in Europe, mostly 737/320 have it next to the door, clearly visible from the jetway just before you enter the plane...
Perhaps you could show us pictures?  Innocent

Also, do Airbus or Boeing have a "default" about indicating the type of plane?

-Will

citationjet

Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:04 am

Some put the aircraft type on the engine nacelles. I believe that NetJets does that to all of their Citation X (Cessna Citation Model 750) aircraft.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul Robbins

Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773,788.

kl911

Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:42 am

Safetydude,

'''Perhaps you could show us pictures? '''

View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Minter

View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael W. Rosa

View Large View Medium

Photo © José Ramón Valero - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

View Large View Medium

Photo © Marlo Plate - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

Laugh out loud
KL911

ckfred

Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:52 am

It may go back to when airlines had descriptive names for their fleets. AA called their planes Flagships, then went to Astrojets, and later Luxury Jets. UA used to call them Mainliners, then Frienships.

AA used to put near the rear door DC-6 Flagship or 707 Jet Flagship.

UA quite putting aircraft type identification on the planes when it went to the red and blue U logo in the late 70s.

AA has started to remove aircraft titles to save weight and the cost of buying and applying decals.

RedDragon

Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:09 am

Most Boeing type identification marks are painted in the Boeing corporate font - it's only Lufthansa that springs to mind as going against this trend. (Interestingly, Lufthansa also appears to include the customer code on its Boeing type marks, rather than simply rounding down to the hundred as everyone else does.) Airbus also has its own corporate font (with the Airbus logo often also appearing), but it seems to me that this is used less universally than Boeing's... is this accurate or am I just being unobservant again?

This practice only seems as widely-used as it is on Boeing and Airbus aircraft - aircraft types occasionally appear on other large transport aircraft, but seemingly less frequently...

Rich  Insane

FlySSC

Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:38 am

Some show it even more clearly :

View Large View Medium

Photo © Philippe Noret
View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão

acidradio

Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:02 am

It's a good way to advertise that they feature a certain brand of equipment. As consumers, we come to know and trust certain brand names. We buy certain brands of clothes, eat certain brands of food. The average consumer is not going to buy a Boeing or Airbus product, but will likely buy a ticket to ride on one. This is marketing of the product. If they have a good experience on that product and feel safe on it, they will have a higher likelihood of buying into it again. Just like any other product, Airbus and Boeing have built certain marketing niches, Boeing with its long and proud history and Airbus with some of its advances in technology (disclaimer: this is not intended to incite any kind of A vs. B war, only a demonstration).

Also notable is the fact that certain airlines put the engine maker's logo on the engine:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael Carter

View Large View Medium

Photo © Sam Chui
View Large View Medium

Photo © Nicolas Kersting

View Large View Medium

Photo © William Ronciere
View Large View Medium

Photo © Joe Corrigan

In fact, when I was searching for photos for this, it seems like every operator who uses RR engines proudly boasts this on the engine, whereas the PW and GE operators don't do so nearly as much. When people see a brand name like Rolls Royce, that conveys quality and reliability. Now this is not to say that GE or PW products are not as good (uh oh I might have started a GE vs. PW vs. RR war), but the average person equates RR to a very expensive, high-end luxury car. PW? Likely have no idea what they do. GE? They make a very wonderful jet engine but the average consumer thinks of GE as the people who make all those lightbulbs!

The average consumer sees an airplane and they really all look the same. By plastering the name of the airframe manufacturer and engine manufacturer, it may help with some brand-name association, especially if the passenger felt that the aircraft handled turbulance, weather or other atmospheric conditions well or they were impressed by the power of the engines.
Ich haben zwei Platzspielen und ein Microphone

FoxBravo

Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:04 am

...and some just beat you over the head with it:  Smile

View Large View Medium

Photo © Rolf Wallner

View Large View Medium

Photo © Edward Lai

Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

wietse

Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:14 am

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wietse de Graaf - AirTeamImages

Smile/happy/getting dizzy
Wietse de Graaf

L410Turbolet

Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:33 am

and maybe also for the staff operating the jetways.

if this is the case, then I think Fischer Air should be given an extra credit for caring about crews operating jetways with impaired sight...  Wow!

View Large View Medium

Photo © Praguepix
View Large View Medium

Photo © Pawel Kierzkowski [epwa_spotters]

SafetyDude
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:31 am

Perhaps you could show us pictures?

KL911, I wish that you would have taken some time to think about your posts, rather than go off in a rush in an effort to prove me wrong, when you only embarrass yourself even more.

In this picture,
View Large View Medium

Photo © Marlo Plate - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

I would be quite interested to know how you would be able to see the type-identification mark when it is below where the jetway would be.

In this picture,
View Large View Medium

Photo © Kevin Minter

I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you were in too much of a hurry to show the correct side of the plane.

That being said, let us take a correct look at the plane:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Praguepix

From the jetway, you would not be able to see anything more than "Airbus", or maybe even the "A" of "A321-100".

The same thing goes for this picture:
View Large View Medium

Photo © José Ramón Valero - IBERIAN SPOTTERS

I have been saving the best for last:
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael W. Rosa

I do not even know how you want to explain that one would be able to see the "747-400" markings from the jetway.

Once again, please take time to think about your posts.

Airbus also has its own corporate font (with the Airbus logo often also appearing), but it seems to me that this is used less universally than Boeing's... is this accurate or am I just being unobservant again?
I think that most airlines use the appropriate manufacturer font, but the Airbus font is not as distinct as Boeing's is, so perhaps that is why you do not notice it that much.

but the average person equates RR to a very expensive, high-end luxury car. PW? Likely have no idea what they do. GE? They make a very wonderful jet engine but the average consumer thinks of GE as the people who make all those lightbulbs!
I could not have said it better.

Smile
-Will

Leezyjet

Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:03 am

Emirates must have some of the largest a/c types currently on their A330-200's.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Philippe Bleus

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

FoxBravo

Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:30 am

SafetyDude, relax! Those type markings might not be visible from a jetway, but don't forget that lots of airports in Europe (even major ones--CDG, AMS, FRA, etc.) use remote stands with airstairs, in which case the markings are readily visible.

Furthermore, in the case of KLM and Emirates, for example, the type markings are also easily visible out the windows of the departure lounge if anyone happens to take a glance before boarding.

N766UA

Tue Aug 24, 2004 7:37 am

Hey SafetyDude, you can look through the glass to see the type in every one of the pictures he posted. You don't have to be in the jetway to be curious about aircraft types.

Jetmek319

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:51 am

Fellers... The aircraft type and models numbers are dependent on whose regulatory system (FAA, JAA, etc.) the aircraft is registered under, and which part of the regulations (part 121, 91, etc) are applicableto those operations. Most Euro carriers will have it on the fuselage somewhere, while FAA part 121 carriers are not required to apply them.
Never, ever moon a werewolf !!

SafetyDude
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:39 am

SafetyDude, relax! Those type markings might not be visible from a jetway, but don't forget that lots of airports in Europe (even major ones--CDG, AMS, FRA, etc.) use remote stands with airstairs, in which case the markings are readily visible.
and
Hey SafetyDude, you can look through the glass to see the type in every one of the pictures he posted. You don't have to be in the jetway to be curious about aircraft types.

If you had been following the thread carefully, you would have seen this in KL911's reply #4: "clearly visible from the jetway just before you enter the plane..."

While your comments are certainly true, I was replying directly to his statement regarding jetways, not terminals or stairs.

Jetmek319, thank you for your answer.

Smile
-Will

airplaneboy

Tue Aug 24, 2004 3:40 pm

Hey SafetyDude~

I've been wondering the same thing as you. I would think that for whatever reason markings are placed on an aircraft, the airline would maintain consistency throughout its fleet. Especially if the airline's intention is to advertise the aircraft type to the public. For those who are not so "airliner savvy," not seeing the A/C type on some aircraft of an airline while seeing some on other ships of the same carrier would make it difficult to assess which A/C they are viewing. Of course, they'd know what type of A/C it is if they were flying on it (safety demos...emergency/safety cards, etc.).

Very interesting topic. It would be nice to have a BA employee shed some light on why some of their planes have the markings and others do not. Anyone else from an airline that doesn't mark all of its aircraft but does on some?

Thanks in advance. Happy flying everyone.

Warm Regards,

Travis/LAX

JCS

Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:54 pm

@Jetmek319
Nice to hear the answer on this topic. Would anybody read it?

But why these different regulations? Why needs the a/c type to be put on the a/c in Europe?

srbrenna

Tue Aug 24, 2004 5:17 pm

Just a thought following up on a few things mentioned here. Would it be more likely that an AC delivered from the manufacturer would have the AC type displayed somewhere on the fuselage? Perhaps when they are repainted there is more of a chance that the airline can't be bothered to put them on.

Is there any incentive given by the manufacturers to display this info?

bill142

Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:06 pm

Its just like a badge on a car. Some people order the car without the badge some people like the badge on there.

Whisperliner

Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:16 pm

I once boarded an China Eastern MD-11, and I noticed as I entered from the jetway, that there once was a sticker or decal that said "McDonnell-Douglas MD-11" and below that, the corporate logo. It was applied so it can readily be seen when entering the plane (not covered by the edges of the jetway) Apparently China Eastern had painted over it (it appears it was done puposely and not during a repaint) Does anyone have any idea why this might have been done, since I think the MD-11 doesn't have the same negative public image as the DC-10?

I also think the general public does care about what type of planes it flys on, or at least brand recognition. I was once on an AA "super 80", when the lady next to me asked what type of plane we were on...I picked up the safety card and pointed out it was made by McDonnell...as soon as I said that she winced.

RICARDOAB

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:02 pm

For those passengers that do not know the A/C type, it could be confusing on the new 737s of Air Berlin and Korean Air that have 7E7 logos on the fuselage and tail

RedDragon

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:13 pm

Actually the Boeing corporate-coloured 7E7s of Air Berlin and Korean Air have the airline's name on the tail, albeit on a blue background:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Richard Hunt
View Large View Medium

Photo © Aaron Lupton - AirlinesOnPrint

View Large View Medium

Photo © Magnus Trippler

Interestingly, it appears that Korean Air's 737 has already been painted into their standard colour scheme:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Royal S King

I'd have thought that this aircraft, along with Air Berlin's, would have remained in the Boeing scheme for quite a bit longer. Anyone able to shed any light on this?

Rich  Smile

wing

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:13 pm

Because some airlines feel like it and others don't.

Simple as that =)

Exactly. The only credible answer so far . Cheers  Smile
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

LHR27C

Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:59 pm

It is down to airline preference, but some have different ways of going about it. I like SQ's idea of naming their aircraft Jubilee, Mega Ark, Mega Top etc., and presumably they feel by giving the aircraft their own name they don't need to display the actual type name (or engine markings, for that matter). In the initial post SafetyDude mentioned that SQ do have type markings on the A345, is this not because they removed the Leadership titles?
Once you have tasted flight, you will walk the earth with your eyes turned forever skyward

FoxBravo

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:15 pm

I agree that it is more interesting when airlines give their own names to each fleet type, and display it prominently on the airframe. This was much more common in the past (e.g., AA's "Luxury Liners" and "Luxury Jets," and Eastern's "Whisperjets" and "Whisperliners"), but some have done it in recent years as well. In addition to the SQ example, Crossair used to name its Saab 340s "Cityliners," its 2000s "Concordinos," and its Avro RJs "Jumbolinos." JAL, meanwhile, called its MD-11s "J-Birds" (with an endangered species of bird illustrated on the winglets), and still calls its 777s "Star Jets" (each named after a Constellation) and its 747-400s "Sky Cruisers."

JCS

Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:20 pm

What about reply-20 in which Jetmek319 mentioned the different regulations?

RedDragon

Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:18 pm

JAL, meanwhile, called its MD-11s "J-Birds" (with an endangered species of bird illustrated on the winglets)

Does anyone else see this as fitting - endangered birds on the passenger MD-11, something of an endangered bird?

Big grin

kl911

Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:27 pm

SafetyDude,

''''While your comments are certainly true, I was replying directly to his statement regarding jetways, not terminals or stairs''''

I've boarded planes often where the last 2 meters of the jetway had windows to the sides, which made it possible to see the type of the plane just before boarding. At AMS the jetways most often have windows anyway. Maybe you shoul come to Europe oneday, I'll show you what I mean...

Laugh out loud
KL911

SafetyDude
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:36 pm

Fellers... The aircraft type and models numbers are dependent on whose regulatory system (FAA, JAA, etc.) the aircraft is registered under, and which part of the regulations (part 121, 91, etc) are applicableto those operations. Most Euro carriers will have it on the fuselage somewhere, while FAA part 121 carriers are not required to apply them.
After thinking about this, in the UK, nothing seems to following a rule, as some planes have the type-identification and others do not, and the location seems to vary (BA versus VS, and then KLM by itself).

Just a thought following up on a few things mentioned here. Would it be more likely that an AC delivered from the manufacturer would have the AC type displayed somewhere on the fuselage? Perhaps when they are repainted there is more of a chance that the airline can't be bothered to put them on.
That is what I thought of at first, but it appears that some planes come fresh without the markings, and others retain them through various paint-overs (BA and VS, for example).

SQ do have type markings on the A345, is this not because they removed the Leadership titles?
Interesting theory, and the only other plane in SQ's fleet that had the type-identification was the A310, but it appears that the type-identification on the A345 was there from the start:

View Large View Medium

Photo © French Frogs AirSlides

Smile
-Will

RedDragon

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:05 pm

Maybe I'm looking at this too closely now, but did KLM uniformly use BOEING 747 titles on their 742s, whilst using BOEING 747-400 on their 744s?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Wietse de Graaf - AirTeamImages
View Large View Medium

Photo © Michael W. Rosa

Rich  Smile

globetrekker

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:29 am

-RedDragon

You are correct. The 747-200/300 had BOEING 747 on the aircraft, while the 744 has the full BOEING 747-400.

GlobeTrekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

SafetyDude
Topic Author

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:34 am

Maybe you shoul come to Europe oneday, I'll show you what I mean...
Been there, done that.  Big grin

but did KLM uniformly use BOEING 747 titles on their 742s, whilst using BOEING 747-400 on their 744s?
Many airlines tend to just say "747" for -100 and -200 variants, while making a big point of adding the -400. I am not to sure about the -300, as it seems to be in between the classics and -400.

Smile
-Will

flybyguy

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:46 am

I think that Jetway operators are trained to recognize the aircraft they normally dock to without use of aircraft posted labels. If the aircraft type label is obscured in any way it can be disastrous to the plane's serviceability.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos