Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

capicuuu
Topic Author

Delta Emergency Landing/engine Fire Last Night?

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:16 pm

Anyone know of this? Just spoke to my friend and his stepson was on a Delta flight from FLL to JFK. They had to land in South Carolina due to a sick passenger. From what he tells me, the plane taxied out to the runway, started its takeoff roll and an engine caught on fire. Thats all the info I have for now, but wanted to see if anyone knew of this.

SafetyDude

RE: Delta Emergency Landing/engine Fire Last Night?

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:20 pm

hey had to land in South Carolina due to a sick passenger. From what he tells me, the plane taxied out to the runway, started its takeoff roll and an engine caught on fire
Which one was it?  Big grin

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

7LBAC111

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:22 pm

had to land in South Carolina due to a sick passenger. From what he tells me, the plane taxied out to the runway, started its takeoff roll and an engine caught on fire

Perhaps the sight of the engine being on fire made the passenger sick?  Smile
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

Delta777-XXX

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:36 pm

From Delta's intranet....

"Flight 2038, FLL-JFK, ship 6714 (B757), STD 1740 with 188 passengers onboard diverted to CHS due to a medical emergency. After the passenger was deplaned the flight push out of the gate and experienced a mechanical problem (engine failure). It was necessary to ferry a new aircraft into CHS from ATL and fly the 188 passengers to JFK. The flight arrived JFK at XXXX, XXX past scheduled arrival. 13 passengers were connecting to international destinations. All 13 passengers were given hotel accommodations and rebooked for the next day."

-Hank  Big thumbs up

capicuuu
Topic Author

Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:41 pm

Thanks!! Yeah, I bunched it all together in my previous post. From what he said the plane landed, the sick passenger deplaned without incident. The plane then taxied back out to the runway and the engine fire occured when the plane was on it's takeoff roll. If it was actually taking off or not I dpn't know as kids can inflate a story to make it more interesting.

[Edited 2004-08-24 16:44:34]

dl757md

Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:32 am

During engine start the ground crew signaled fire and the cockpit crew noticed EGT rising above normal but never exceeding limits. A shutdown was initiated and they were towed back to the gate. The aircraft never taxied let alone attempted takeoff. The engine was later started successfully by MX and continued in service. What happened was a tail pipe fire which is not uncommon and doesn't automatically mean the engine has to be taken out of service.

Dl757md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos