ckfred
Topic Author

TSA Cutting Off Approved Locks

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:25 am

Just wondering how many people have had TSA-approved locks cut off by the TSA.

My wife flew from ORD to CAK yesterday, and she checked in at UA Express 90 minutes before depature. In fact, he flight pushed back 40 minutes late, because only the orginating baggage was loaded before scheduled departure.

Because of her late arrival, she didn't bother to look at her bag until she got to the hotel. Not only had the lock been cut, but the zipper pulls and the clasps had been ripped off. She had to pry the zipper teeth apart to open her bag. Now, she can't close the bag. And yes, there was the TSA letter inside the bag, so it wasn't UA that tore up the bag.

I'm wondering how many have had TSA-approved locks cut and/or bags damaged? Of course, I'm also wondering why TSA screeners don't use the keys to open the locks.

airportugal310

RE: TSA Cutting Off Approved Locks

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:29 am

Because the TSA think they are all a bunch of tough guys.....

Dont believe me?

Look around the airport. Pompous and full of attitude. No wonder they are so disliked.
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:35 am

It's a big problem IMHO.

Lock the bags or stuff might get stolen by handlers. Happens all the time. Sure, they can always get into the bag anyway but at least with a lock they might move on to the next bag.

But if you lock the bag, the TSA wants to get into it anyway.

***sigh***

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

flyingbronco05

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:02 am

Maybe she had something in there that raised a flag so they had to cut it to open it. That's why you don't have expensive luggage.

FB05
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

BR715-A1-30

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:07 am

Maybe next time I check luggage I will put one of those pop-out snakes in there so when they open my bags BOING!!!. Ha Ha
Puhdiddle

FATFlyer

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:07 am

The TSA does have a little blurb out somewhere that I've read that says some locks they may have to cut due to time constraints with flights.

"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

ckfred
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:27 am

FATFlyer:

I saw that on the TSA website. But like I said before, she checked in 90 minutes before departure, and it wasn't that busy at UA.

What irks me is that when I flew ORD-LGA earlier this year, the TSA screeners gave me a thumbs up at both ORD and LGA for using approved locks.

What I aldo don't understand is how they got the claps off. I've had zipper pulls pulled off by the baggage sorters. But that's a neat trick to get the clasps off.

Tasha

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:29 am

I'm sorry to hear that. I always use plastic wire ties to close my bags; and as far as TSA being rude, I have never had the experiance. They have always been pleasent to me.

Tasha  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

slider

Tue Aug 31, 2004 1:30 am

Ckfred- I would recommend that you file a claim with UA anyhow. They'll probably say they're not responsible, but it may help them in terms of their data collection for an industry settlement from the TSA to handle customers' TSA-related damage and pilferage claims.

CO is one of the only--if not THE only--carrier to address TSA claims internally and settle them as well.

I'll stop this note now before I start another rant against the TSA.

IL76TD

Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:00 am

Starlion Blue Wrote

"It's a big problem IMHO.

Lock the bags or stuff might get stolen by handlers. Happens all the time. Sure, they can always get into the bag anyway but at least with a lock they might move on to the next bag.

But if you lock the bag, the TSA wants to get into it anyway.

***sigh***"

You are so obviously from greenland, i've never heard of anybody getting stuff stolen by handlers, i'm sure it happens every once in a while, but i'd rather risk something inexpensive getting stolen and knowing every bag was checked out rather than having 2 planes blown up after leaving from the same airport (Moscow).

If its that important to you..CARRY IT ON.

ckfred
Topic Author

Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:52 am

IL76TD:

Actually, baggage handlers stealing has been a big problem. There was a ring of thieves working at AA in MIA. The airport introduced free shrinkwrapping as a means to thrwart the thieves. And there has been problems periodically at the New York-area airports.

Part of the problem is the new limits on carry-on bags. My wife had a purse, a briefcase with her laptop, and her wheeled bag. Even with the old limits, all of that wouldn't fit in the cabin of a CRJ.

I don't mind TSA looking inside my bag. But when I spend $20 to get a pair of locks for which TSA has a master key, I expect them to use the key.

Personally, I like the Bristish system. If have several sceenings with x-ray and CT scans, they can't determine if a suitcase has an explosive device, they find the owner and take him to the bomb-proof room to open the bag.

IL76TD

Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:57 am

well i guess you'd rather be tracked down and visit the bomb-proof inspection room, and almost surely miss your flight

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:08 am

You are so obviously from greenland, i've never heard of anybody getting stuff stolen by handlers, i'm sure it happens every once in a while, but i'd rather risk something inexpensive getting stolen and knowing every bag was checked out rather than having 2 planes blown up after leaving from the same airport (Moscow).

At Arlanda (Stockholm) they busted an organized luggage pilfering ring two years ago among the luggage handlers. This sort of thing happens all the time, particularly in the third world

Of course I don't put anything really valuable in my checked bags. The best method is to screen the bags in front of the passenger, and then send them to the handling facility. That way the pax can lock them after screening.

If anything gets stolen, it's no huge deal. Insurance will cover it. But it's still a hassle to claim the stuff.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

320tech

Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:38 am

If anything gets stolen, it's no huge deal. Insurance will cover it. But it's still a hassle to claim the stuff.

Depends on what it is, I suppose  Smile. I go to great lengths to avoid checking bags because I don't trust "security" personnel or baggage handlers.

You are so obviously from greenland, i've never heard of anybody getting stuff stolen by handlers

That's the nice thing about uninformed opinions, everyone has at least one  Smile.
The primary function of the design engineer is to make things difficult for the manufacturer and impossible for the AME.

Tom in NO

Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:40 am

We had about 10-odd TSA screeners here at MSY arrested for stealing items from passengers checked baggage not too long ago. Theft is not limited to airline baggage handlers.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:21 am

Tom at MSY proves again why he is a valued member of this forum.

It's human nature. Ask any policeman. Most thieves are criminals of opportunity, not premeditation. Of course there will be luggage handlers and security personnel who steal.

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 31, 2004 6:57 am

The damage you described to her bag sounds much more like a handling issue than a TSA issue. It would take more time than the TSA has to spend on each bag to do that much damage. The fact that there was a TSA letter inside the bag is merely incidental. You are assuming that because they opened the bag, they must have done the damage. By similar logic, when US tore up one of my bags after the TSA did open it in March, it must have been the TSA's fault even though I watched the bag screening from beginning to end (it was in T-2 at ORD). That's just bad logic. As fun as it is to blame the TSA, this sounds like a UA problem.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

slider

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:08 am

We had about 10-odd TSA screeners here at MSY arrested for stealing items from passengers checked baggage not too long ago. Theft is not limited to airline baggage handlers.

Good point Tom.

And to add to that, the major bust of the LGA TSA folks of a couple weeks ago...that was a handful of organized people as well. Not to mention ATL, TPA, and other places that have had rings of pilferages among TSA people.

Tom in NO

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:21 am

Tom at MSY proves again why he is a valued member of this forum.
No, no, please.........I'm blushing!  Smile

but i'd rather risk something inexpensive getting stolen and knowing every bag was checked out rather than having 2 planes blown up after leaving from the same airport (Moscow).
From everything I've read, it sounds like the explosive material on the 2 Moscow flights was a part of the carry-on luggage, therefore, was not checked out. (anyone else catch the front page article in USA Today [Monday]on this subject?!)

Tom at MSY

"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

Tasha

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:33 am

"The fact that there was a TSA letter inside the bag is merely incidental. You are assuming that because they opened the bag, they must have done the damage. By similar logic, when US tore up one of my bags after the TSA did open it in March, it must have been the TSA's fault even though I watched the bag screening from beginning to end "

At GPT the bags are screened infront of you by the TSA. As a very frequent traveler I have learned the hard way about locks and bags....

1. Never travel with a hardside suitcase (as even the best tend to open unexpectedly) My ole Samsonite once spilled my panties all over the lobby of a hotel in Atlanta; very embarrasing.

2. Never travel with cheap luggage. Don't use necessarly the most expensive, but I have found that American Tourister purchased at Walmart (I have a set of two suitcases, garment bag, and carryon for $99) is the best investment in luggage I have ever made. All but the garment bag is superb.

3. Lock your cases with large nylon wire tires that you hand to the TSA agent before he/she inspects your case manually or simply lock it before it goes through the machine. Valuables should never be checked anyway and should go in your carryon.

Hope I could help....

[Edited 2004-08-31 00:39:15]

SafetyDude

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:35 am

Maybe she had something in there that raised a flag so they had to cut it to open it.
According to the post, she had a lock that was TSA approved, meaning that there is a special key TSA officials can use to unlock the bag if a search is necessary.

And to add to that, the major bust of the LGA TSA folks of a couple weeks ago...that was a handful of organized people as well.
CBS and FOX had a field day with that story.

While there are certainly some bad folks in the TSA, most of them are pretty good. Remember, usually the bad things stand out more than the negatives.

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

frenchpilot

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:38 am

Try SJU as well... Got things stolen on many occasions. They just cut the locks and dig in. Totally unacceptable if you ask me, but apparently the airlines are aware of that happening since everytime I showed them right on arrival, with proof of purchase, they told me it was a recurring problem.
"Sur votre gilet vous trouverez un sifflet pour attirer les poissons..."

USAFHummer

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:38 am

I had two zippers on my bag wrecked by the TSA a few months ago...they were still attached to the zips but wouldn't seal...the bag was wide open when it came out on the belt and I was simply amazed that nothing had been taken from it...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:42 am

After thinking a little more about this incident, I have realized that there is almost no way that the TSA could have done this damage. From the description you offer, it appears that the zipper parts got ripped off while the bag was closed. I have a tough time believing that anything the TSA does could cause this to happen.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ILSApproach

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:42 am

Anyone had any problems taking photos in-terminal by the TSA?

Bet this would make them cringe! You LUCKY Europeans!! I am jealous!

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Serge Bailleul

bennett123

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:56 am

Who is TSA?.

Do they recommend that cases should be handed in unlocked.

If so, how will I be able to confirm that my bag have not been tampered with.
When I re-claim my bag, something could have been placed in it. Normal smuggling still exists.

redngold

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:24 am

TSA is "Transportation Security Administration," the federal screening authority put in place after 9/11.

redngold

PS I haven't had any luggage damaged yet, knock wood!
Up, up and away!

ual4me

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:28 am

Here at the UA counter at PDX, they hand search your bags while you wait to check in-both self-checkin and at the counter...

Never had a bag opened when I flew out of PDX on UA...but on other airlines (and the contents of my bag doesn't change when I travel) out of PDX, I always seem to find their little TSA note...

I just make sure I get there in plenty of time to check in.
Where will this amount of cash take me?

SafetyDude

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:59 am

Anyone had any problems taking photos in-terminal by the TSA?
I have not and I have not heard of anyone else having problems with the TSA in regards to photos, but, it is not advised to take pictures of the screening area.

Do they recommend that cases should be handed in unlocked.
Yes

If so, how will I be able to confirm that my bag have not been tampered with.
A slip of paper is placed on the top of your contents saying that your bag has been searched, providing information on the TSA and a phone number if you need to call regarding anything. They are supposed to place a blue one-way plastic lock (like a cable tie) that has the official's ID number, but lately, for me, they have not been placing that on my bag, which could be a problem if something was missing and no one knows who searched my bag.

When I re-claim my bag, something could have been placed in it. Normal smuggling still exists.
That is so highly unlikely, especially since the TSA worker would have no way of getting your bag after the item had been "smuggled".

-Will
"She Flew For What We Stand For"

lnglive1011yyz

Tue Aug 31, 2004 12:14 pm

IN a way, I kind of feel happy that I'm not flying to/within the US, and that our system here in Canada is pretty good..

From what I've heard and experienced myself, Carry-on luggage is checked as you pass thru security (they even made me turn ON my two digital cameras AND cell phone, to ensure they worked and took pictures/functioned).

I think the British method is best for checked luggage -- if something is suspect, pull it out, bring the person to a bomb proof room, and have THEM open it.. Hell -- if the guy runs like bloody-blue murder, you know you have a major problem on hand. haha Big grin

ON the other hand, I guess after what happened in the US on that fateful day, I probably would feel safer knowing that my bags were bieng inspected anyways.

You'd be a fool to check valuable, irreplaceable items anyway.

Good post!

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

SNATH

Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:41 pm

Another effective system, which I have experienced at FRA and at CDG,
is that there is an x-ray machine for your checked in luggage on the way
to the check-in desk. So, you get your luggage x-rayed, you might have
to open it there and then, and you're then free to lock it when you check
it in. Given the fact that you have to stand line to get to the check-in desk
anyway, it's a great idea to get the x-raying out of the way at the same
time...

And, yes, I hate having to leave my luggage unlocked... it violates my
privacy, never mind leaving my luggage open to theft. And all of that
because the TSA couldn't care less about people's rights...

Tony
Nikon: we don't want more pixels, we want better pixels.

IL76TD

Tue Aug 31, 2004 4:59 pm

its the TSA - Transportation SECURITY Administration, not the ACLU

Peoples rights in regards to airline security, jusitifiably, went right out the door after 9/11. I'd rather have some of my rights and others rights infringed on while flying rather than deal with another possible terrorist incident. And remember, its just 25, 50, or 200 people flying on one plane, but there are millions of people on the ground and in buildings that are counting on no more planes flying into them. The TSA isn't just there for your safety, they are there for alot of other peoples (citizens on ground) safety as well.

SNATH

Tue Aug 31, 2004 5:34 pm

I'd rather have some of my rights and others rights infringed on while flying

I'm sorry but this is total crap and this is exactly the attitude that allows
the TSA to be nazis. There are ways (see my posting above) of ensuring
very tight security while respecting people's rights. But, of course
the TSA and the current government wouldn't know what the word 'right'
means... apart from, of course, of them having the 'right' to treat us all
like junk.

EDIT: And in fact some airports in the US have a similar scheme to what
FRA and CDG do. I've flown out of MIA and, after checking my luggage in,
I had to take it to the TSA screening myself. If you chose to leave your
luggage locked, you could actually wait and then be told by the TSA officers
whether you were all set or whether you had to open it. At SFO I also
took my luggage to the screening area too and I was told that, if I left it
unlocked, they would actually lock it themselves after they checked it.
Much to my surprise, they did. So, why the Hell can't all US airports adopt
similar sensible schemes? They are not as good as FRA or CDG, because you
have to stand in line twice, but they are better than the alternative!

Tony

[Edited 2004-08-31 10:43:43]

L410Turbolet

Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:36 pm

Peoples rights in regards to airline security, jusitifiably, went right out the door after 9/11. I'd rather have some of my rights and others rights infringed on while flying rather than deal with another possible terrorist incident.

People thinking like that and even finding justification themselves for their rights being taken away is a major victory for the terrorists, because their objective: spread fear, paranoia, spying on everyone has been achieved.

RDUDDJI

Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:13 pm

As a former bagroom employee, who worked next to a security (now TSA) CTX machine for a few months, let me tell you a few things.

TSA used this one all the time: A locked 22 (or the standard roller bag with a zipper) is no match for a Bic Pen. Simply zip the lock to one of the corners jam the pen through the zipper and separate it then pull the zipper open. When you are finished hand screening the bag, simply zip the still locked zipper from one corner to the other corner thereby re-establishing the zipped and still "locked" 22. The TSA guy who showed me that was particularly proud of himself. (He could also pick just about any lock, key or combination)

Secondly, as a former baggage handler let me remind you that we don't exactly have time nor do we care to look at all of the thousands of bags we handle everyday. It's not like the bags sit in one place all day for us to rip open and believe it or not we don't have rampers that ride in airplane bins to check-out the bags while the flight is in the air. Most of the incidences I hear of with Airline Employees stealing have to do with the baggage claim offices, usually it's because they could not find out who the bag belonged to, so they opened it hoping to match the description of contents and found something they liked (see crimes of opportunity above)

Thirdly, locks (esp. big ones) cause zippers to catch on aircraft bins, CTX machines, containers, belt loaders, other bags, and just about anything else. Essentially locks cause more damage to bags and that's why airlines won't pay for damage to bags that have stuff hanging off of them. This sounds like what may have happened in the original post.

[Edited 2004-08-31 13:21:59]

[Edited 2004-08-31 13:22:53]
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

IL76TD

Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:19 pm

Flying is a right, not a privelege, would you rather that be taken away? I think THAT is what the terrorists want, i think they could care less whether some wally wants to lock his suitcase or not.

HeyMach

Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:58 pm

IL76TD:

Whilst I understand your sentiment, I believe the flying public also have a right to take appropriate steps protect their possessions when traveling. Of course common sense must prevail, however, I fail to understand the need to cut locks which have been approved by an agency entrusted to safeguard the security of the passengers. As has been mentioned theft from checked luggage by airport personnel is a real and pressing problem. The problem is underscored in an article in USA Today(http://www.usatoday.com/travel/flights/today/sky.htm). I for one would have no problem in having my luggage screened prior to check-in, if that was a proposed solution.

NIKV69

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:03 pm

In this day and age you SHOULD NOT be locking your luggage. Any thing that is to be checked should only contain clothes and other things that have little or no value. Any valuables should be carried on and if that bag is subject to search it is done right in front of you so there is not chance of theft. Give the TSA a break will you. As much as you want to malign them they are a line of defense against you dying horribly in a plane crash due to terrorism.

Cooperate with them!
I am the Googlizer!!!

RDUDDJI

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:11 pm

Yes, ideally it would be favorable to screen the bags before checking them, but 95+% of U.S. airports were not designed with that in mind. The machinery to screen bags takes up a ton of space. The CTX machines take up about the space of a 12-foot delivery truck. In many U.S. airports the bags may well travel over 1/2 mile on the belt before they reach the screening area.

SNATH

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:28 pm

NIKV69,

In this day and age you SHOULD NOT be locking your luggage.

WHY? In all other civilised countries you're not required to leave your
luggage unlocked because they respect your privacy. And, yes, there are
ways to do this, while ensuring the same level of screening (see my posts
above). So, why should the US be different?

Any thing that is to be checked should only contain clothes and other things that have little or no value.

And who are you to dictate what I'm allowed to put in my luggage? As long
as I do not endager the lives and security of the passangers, why shouldn't I
be allowed to put whatever I want in my suitcase. It's a free country, isn't
it? Oh, sorry, I forgot who's currently running it... but of course they do not
care as they have the tax-payer paid big jets and do not worry about what
they will put in their luggage...

Any valuables should be carried on and if that bag is subject to search it is done right in front of you so there is not chance of theft.

And why do you assume that the clothes I carry with me are not valuable?
Do you know how long it takes me to find a pair of jeans that actually fits me?

Give the TSA a break will you.

No, I won't, as long as they do not give me a break.

As much as you want to malign them they are a line of defense against you dying horribly in a plane crash due to terrorism.

Given the level of intelligence of the average TSA officer, this is a
pretty scary thought, isn't it?

L410Turbolet,

People thinking like that and even finding justification themselves for their rights being taken away is a major victory for the terrorists, because their objective: spread fear, paranoia, spying on everyone has been achieved.

Thank you. I couldn't have put it better myself.

Tony

[Edited 2004-08-31 14:30:57]

Jumpseat70

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:31 pm

By the description of the damage I think it obvious that TSA had nothing to do with this.

The note in the bag only meant that they looked in it earlier. The locks being torn off is something I see everyday in the Baggage Service Office.

The bigger the locks, the bigger the opportunity for damage to the bags. They become juxtaposed ontop of each other during loading and unloading. Eventually something has to give and usually it is the lock that is protruding from the bag. It always takes the zipper along with it. Been there...Seen that!!

If I were you I would have filed a claim with United. Unfortunately, you must do this within 24 hours of your arrival. Possibly, since you were advised incorrectly by the BSO agent, you might be able to file a claim after the fact.

The note in your bag only covers items missing in your bag, not damage to the outside. The airlines is responsible for damage to the outside. Good Luck!
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

RDUDDJI

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:41 pm

"The note in your bag only covers items missing in your bag, not damage to the outside. The airlines is responsible for damage to the outside. Good Luck!"

As previously mentioned, most airlines (in fact all that I can think of) do not cover damage to bags by items that hang off of them. They cover the actual bag and its contents, not wheels, handles, straps etc. All of those things automatically make the bag more susceptible to damage.

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:43 pm

Any thing that is to be checked should only contain clothes and other things that have little or no value.

It's funny how people always think that clothes have little or no value. I just bought a suit for $1000, for example. Good thing I keep all my clothing receipts, because in most cases insurance companies laugh at you when you claim that kind of loss (been there, done that). They shut up right quick when you send them copies of your receipts and pictures of your clothes.

But the fact remains that if the stuff had no value, I wouldn't be interested in taking it with me anyway.

Having said that, I realize the risk and figure that the probability of anything dissapearing from my locked bags is minuscule anyway. Life is unfair and sometimes things don't work out. C'est la vie!

Jumpseat70

Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:48 pm

Depends on the extent of the damage. Not easy to determine here. It was just a suggestion.

By the way when the airline started carrying your bags and agreed to repair them, there weren't any wheels to gouge the other guys bag, or handles to get bent by the other guys bags. They were just good old square bags. I was here. I remember.

Because we've become so lazy and need to drag everything around, which makes it easier to pack heavier bags, damage occurs more frequently. And if we, the airlines, repaired every damage that occurred, you be taking the train, because we wouldn't exist.
"Up, Up and away with TWA"

NIKV69

Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:04 pm

SNATH,

Sorry to hear you have such a hard time finding clothes. I can imagine why but I will leave it at that.

We have a great man running this country and having our luggage searched is a thing that has to be done. We can't lock our bags anymore because any piece of luggage that goes on a plane is subject to search. If you like other countries so much maybe you should look into moving to one of them. No other country is as much a target as the USA. These terrorists hate us and our freedom. This is a fact and I love living here and if means having my luggage searched when I travel so be it. I comply and leave my bags open. You should do the same and stop complaining and give these people a break.
I am the Googlizer!!!

Tasha

Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:09 pm

Snath:

"Any thing that is to be checked should only contain clothes and other things that have little or no value.

And who are you to dictate what I'm allowed to put in my luggage? "

You can put anything in your luggage you like, but you really sound like a third grader telling his parents that they have "no clue" in this statement. Not putting valuables into checked luggage is common sense.

All these people haranguing on the TSA - I would much rather have the TSA look after my safety than the airlines. Just think about that.

"Give the TSA a break will you.

No, I won't, as long as they do not give me a break."

Again... you really don't have a choice now do you. You can act like a total prick, and then guess what? You can take the bus instead of the plane. I love to see pushy businessmen get scrutinized by the TSA or the flightcrews; somehow they always then seem to play a different, less pushy tone.

The TSA people are doing their jobs, and like it or not - they are doing a fairly good job all in all. I travel very often and I have NEVER had any problems with any TSA person. I treat them with respect instead of a pushy, demeaning attitude. Perhaps people should try that, and see how far they get - you will be surprised.

[Edited 2004-08-31 15:16:11]

Starlionblue

Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:15 pm

We have a great man running this country and having our luggage searched is a thing that has to be done. We can't lock our bags anymore because any piece of luggage that goes on a plane is subject to search. If you like other countries so much maybe you should look into moving to one of them. No other country is as much a target as the USA. These terrorists hate us and our freedom. This is a fact and I love living here and if means having my luggage searched when I travel so be it. I comply and leave my bags open. You should do the same and stop complaining and give these people a break.

I thought freedom of speech gave people the right to complain about whatever they wanted  Big grin

If you like other countries so much maybe you should look into moving to one of them.

Maybe he likes this country and wants it to change for the better. Also a right.

We have a great man running this country

You are of course entitled to that opinion but it doesn't seem to have much to do with luggage being searched.

No other country is as much a target as the USA. These terrorists hate us and our freedom.

They don't give a crap about your freedom. They need a target for their zealots and the USA is a practical one for many reasons. Giving the zealots a target gives the terrorist leaders control.

This is a fact and I love living here and if means having my luggage searched when I travel so be it.

That wasn't the point. The point was whether the TSA cuts off approved locks. I don't think anyone in this thread has disputed the need to search bags, or even had a problem with it. We don't mind our bags being searched. We have an issue with the methods being used.

It's obvious where this thread is headed, so I'm done with it.

NIKV69

Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:21 pm

If they have to search the bag, then why lock it? Come on, you people have to wake up here. They days of old are gone. In the present we have to have tighter security, so deal with it. DO NOT LOCK YOUR BAGS.

I am the Googlizer!!!

SNATH

Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:22 pm

NIKV69,

Sorry to hear you have such a hard time finding clothes. I can imagine why but I will leave it at that.

Thank you for your concern. The fact is that I really like my jeans dark red
with orange peace signs on them. And I do have a hard time finding shops that
carry them.  Big grin

We have a great man running this country

Actually,... Oh, never mind...

If you like other countries so much maybe you should look into moving to one of them.

Despite that I currently live in the US, I am in fact from Europe and I
wouldn'tbe surprised if I eventually end up going back... Thank you for your
warm encouragement and for making me feel very welcome here.

We can't lock our bags anymore because any piece of luggage that goes on a plane is subject to search

So, what's wrong with searching them before checking in, when
the owner is there, as they do at FRA, CDG, or MIA (which I'm sure they were
not designed to have screening machines in the middle of the terminal)?
The problem with people like you is that the government has managed to
convince you that the only way to have good security at airports is to
destroy the passangers' rights and privacy. Guess what? There are other,
equally effective, ways too.

No other country is as much a target as the USA.

You might find that, say, the UK is as much a target as the US, given Tony
Blaire's warm support for the President. Are you required to fly with your
luggage unlocked from the UK? No. Do they carefully screen the luggage in
the UK? Yes.

These terrorists hate us and our freedom.

Given all that you've said so far, what freedom?

This is a fact and I love living here and if means having my luggage searched when I travel so be it. I comply and leave my bags open. You
should do the same and stop complaining and give these people a break.

I do comply too, as I have no other choice. But it doesn't mean that I also
think that getting my privacy and rights destroyed by the TSA is a great idea
and I thank the President and the government for that.

Tony

SNATH

Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:33 pm

Tasha,

Thank you for your input to this discussion.

In fact, you totally misunderstood me. I do not in any
way mind being searched. When they ask me to remove my laptop from
its bag, I gladly do so (even though I never figured out why). When they want
to search me further at a security point, I gladly do so, and I'm helpful
and do not complain or being a prick. If they want me to unlock my luggage so
that they can look inside, I'll happily unlock them to show them that I have
nothing suspicious. However, I want to be there when my luggage is unlocked
and checked through as I feel this is my right

As Startlionblue said, We don't mind our bags being searched. We have
an issue with the methods being used.

Tony

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos