corey07850
Topic Author

Erau Evacuating Entire Fleet This Evening

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:19 am

For anyone still left in the Daytona Beach area, Riddle is evacuating their ENTIRE fleet. It has to be a pretty cool sight to see a line of our planes waiting to take off, and could pose for some interesting photos. According to the schedule, there are over 50 scheduled departures in the next 2 hours or so....Also, scheduled to return next Tuesday.

P.S.--anyone know the different airports they are fleeing to??

mirrodie

RE: Erau Evacuating Entire Fleet This Evening

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:32 am

holy shit, Julio!!! where are you?

MY boy and fellow anetter is down there for his second week! damn, what a welcome to school!
Forum moderator 2001-2010; He's a pedantic, pontificating, pretentious bastard, a belligerent old fart, a worthless st

kalakaua

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:35 am

Wow... ERAU is defintely not starting the new school year great.
Gravity explains the motions of the planets, but it cannot explain who set the planets in motion.

corey07850
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:38 am

Three days of classes, then told to evacuate... definitely not the welcome we all wanted.

Surely hurts the progress on the instrument rating  Smile

DfwRevolution

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:53 am

Three days of classes, then told to evacuate... definitely not the welcome we all wanted.

Not to mention a fatal mid-air collision earlier this week
I have a three post per topic limit. You're welcome to have the last word.

Cactus739

Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:54 am

Wasn't the fatal mid-air collision at the ERAU in Prescott Arizona?
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

corey07850
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:01 am

Yes the fatal crash was in Prescott...

Tom in NO

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:41 am

Hopefully, they're taking them west or northwest as opposed to north, I would say PNS as a minimum distance to take them. The latest track shows the storm possibly exiting FL on its northwest coast, then reentering the panhandle as a tropical storm, and proceeding north from there.

As an aside, who flies the planes out? Is it both instructors and students are are certified, or just instructors?

Thoughts and prayers to my alma mater and my old stomping grounds.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

ramerinianair

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:32 pm

Wow!!! That would be a cool pic!!! It's too bad everybody is evacuated by now though.
SR
W N = my Worst Nightmare!!!!!

corey07850
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:35 pm

Tom,

Only the instructors were flying them out, no students were listed... Apparently the planes are grouped into about 8 or 9 and they all fly to different airports, some as far as Georgia.

radelow

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:43 pm

What does Embry's fleet consist of?

corey07850
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:54 pm

Fleet consists of about 50 C-172R/S, 6 Piper Arrows, 8 Piper Seminoles, a Super Decathalon, a bunch of Diamond DA-20 Katanas, I think 2 C-150's and maybe a few other things....

JFKspotter

Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:10 pm

Well, after 3 days of school, it's back home to Long Island for me. I had the option of going to my roommate's uncle's house in Tampa, but found some decent fares, so I came back.

Clear skies here in NY.

Corey: On/off campus?

L-188

Fri Sep 03, 2004 1:15 pm

So the students flying these planes out....Are they being billed flight time by the U for this honor?
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

corey07850
Topic Author

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:21 pm

JFKSpotter... I live off campus buy flew back home to NJ

L188... The students aren't flying the planes out, the instructors are.

TokyoNarita

Fri Sep 03, 2004 11:49 pm

Where are they parking these things? Dothan? Albany? Macon?

TokyoNarita

chepos

Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:16 am

The whole school closed down on Thursday at Noon- students living in the dorms were moved to shelters and no one is going to be permitted into campus until further notice. I take classes with a kid that is part of the team that is going to evacuate the riddle fleet and he said they were flying the planes to Georgia (not sure were in GA). I just hope my apartment is still standing when I go backc to DAB, and hopefully Tally wont see much stormy weather since Im staying with some friends here.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

jderden777

Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:23 am

Delta Connection Academy evacuated their airplanes yesterday too, closing down the flight school for the weekend...also with the airplanes from the jax base, the sanford fleet and broward fleets are all going to albany, georgia (with the possibility of going even further to BHM i believe)...so thats about 120 airplanes in all going to albany.

Somebody told me that Riddle's taking their fleet all the way to nashville?? i don't know for sure, just what i heard from some people in jax...

L188, i can't tell you how riddle does things but in jax most of the airplanes are being flown out by instructors, but some students are actually going (a good friend of mine is flying an RG up to albany) and no they aren't being billed for the time....i wouldn't mind doing that, getting some free complex time and getting an all expenses paid weekend off from school
"my soul is in the sky" - shakespeare

ScooterTrash

Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:59 am

Boy I have some great memories from doing hurricane evacs from Riddle back in the '90s. Who ever thought that Dothan, AL could be such a party!  Big thumbs up

Scooter

chepos

Sat Sep 04, 2004 2:05 am

The worst thing about evacs is the horrible traffic on I-95 (at 8 am), it took me 5 hours to get from DAB to TLH. Im sure it must be mush worst today.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

RL757PVD

Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:49 am

DAB is eriely quiet today. Currently we are the only show in town for air carriers for east centeral florida as MLB, MCO and SFB have already closed. The last flight for DAB will be the 7:30 PM DL flight to ATL. No flights are anticipated until sometime Monday. Ill be riding the storm out at the airport, but the biggest thing will be the fact that the storm has literally dropped anchor and is going so slow. The strength should be simmilar to that of Charley, maybe a little stronger or a little weaker, but it will last 4-5x longer in duration!! Another problem with the airfield will be rain....we are forecast to get in excess of 10 inches in 48 hrs which could mean problems.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

wing

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:48 am

Scootertrash;
I was at ERAU (DAB) During the Hurricane Floyd,remembering the entire fleet evacuated like immigrating birds,it was quite a sight.Unluckily I was student at that time and the instructors were choosen to fly the airplanes.Is it the the same hurricane that you are referring to?I wonder if we were at DAB at the same time?Anyways it was the first ever huırricane experience for me and it was memorable time.

follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

CVG777

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:57 am

http://www.erau.edu/db/campus/webcams.html

Here are four webcams of the DAB ERAU flightline (or lack thereof  Big grin ). It also seems that most of the airport is free from aircraft as well, except for the derelicts sitting by the tower.

There are three rows of aircraft parking, each with enough space for 30 aircraft (C172s, Piper Arrows and Seminoles). I am also sure that the ERAU CAPT program evacuated their Catanas yesterday as well. Two were destroyed from Charlie, and I am sure they don't want to risk that happening again.

Scheduled evacuation of the aircraft started with the Piper Seminoles at 7am, and then the Piper Arrows around 0730, followed by the Cessnas around 8am. All departures were staggered five minutes apart to prevent ATC overload. Checking the schedules during that time however, I can tell you they all departed whenever the Instructors showed up to get them out of there. Some left as early as 6am. The woman who did my Instrument Checkride flew the Decathalon out.

As for where they are headed, one instructor I know said that he was told to take one of the 172s to Rome, GA. But I have also been told that they fly them in small groups to various places around the southeast, all depending on where the weather is not planning on going.

Off topic, but the morning before the evacuation I had my first flight in the Piper Arrow. It was a calm, sunny, beautiful morning. I must say that the Arrow is definitly a fun aircraft to fly, even though, as everyone says, it does have the flight capabilities of a brick with wings. This certainly does nothing to help my commercial instruction, especially since I just came off a four months of summer vacation.  Sad

Mike

N863DA

Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:04 am

Chepos,

As a native of the Tallahassee area and a resident of the Daytona Beach area, I can tell you that five hours to get from one to the other (either by I-95/I-295/I-10, or SR-40/I-75/US-27) is nothing particularly unusual; standard travel time is around four hours, so your traffic cannot have been that bad.

I'm sure it was BUSY... don't get me wrong, I-10 with traffic is very unusual outside of Jacksonville, but nonetheless, five hours is not that much longer than standard travel time... and definately not unusual given the dramatic exodus of people from Central Florida.

For those of us sticking out the storm around Daytona Beach, it doesn't seem like it will be as bad as predicted (although surely windy and wet), but I noticed the Amerijet 727 is still here at DAB. It fell on its butt (and reputedly damaged its tail) during Charley and will probably be even worse damaged this time around...

FLY DELTA JETS

N 8 6 3 D A

chepos

Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:16 am

Well I hit traffic both getting out of DAB (about 30 mins) and getting into Jacksonville (45 mins) not bad I know but combining both times together that makes like 1 and 20 mins of extra travel time.
Chepos
Fly the Flag!!!!

ATCCTI

Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:19 am

I talked to a flight supervisor over there that said they are flying them as north as Tennessee and North Carolina. They are grouping people together (like stated), making one person responsible for all aircraft underneath them. If the leader feels the hurricane is coming too close to where they are tied down, they have permission to fly the aircraft out of harms way.

They are paying the instructors 8 hours of pay per day, plus food and housing. The school is obviously also paying for all fuel. They are expected back by Tuesday, but can come back when the leader feels it is safe to fly.

~ Michael
"Educational Information with Integrity"

syncmaster

Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:40 am

According to the latest "Emergency Notification" they where taken to GA and AL.....

"Thursday, Embry-Riddle evacuated its fleet of airplanes in advance of the coming storm. The planes were taken to several locations in Alabama and Georgia by university instructor pilots. The Alabama locations are Anniston, Gadsden, Huntsville, and Montgomery. In Georgia, Rome was the destination. All personnel arrived safely at their respective destinations where they will remain until the storm passes."

http://www.erau.edu/er/emergencyer.html

I'm glad I'm in PRC, good luck to everyone in DAB.

Tiger119

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:26 pm

I know this thread is about Riddle and I could start yet another thread on the hurricane in another forum, but where does The Navy (NAS JAX) take their equipment during weather evacs? I know they take the ships to sea, what about their land based aircraft?
Flying is the second greatest thrill known to mankind, landing is the first!

L-188

Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:30 pm

Maybe I am growing cynical with being a 4th year senior at my college, but where I was going in reply 13, was I could just see a/the college making a buck in evacuating their aircraft.

If you knew how UAA nickeled and dimed it's students you would understand.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

ScooterTrash

Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:42 pm

Wing:

Floyd was fairly recent wasn't it? I don't remember the names of the two storm's I evaced for, but it was in '96 and '97. I left in 1998. Kinda miss it in a way...

Scooter

wing

Sat Sep 04, 2004 7:34 pm

Scootertrash;

I understand that I joined ERAU (CATER) after you've left.I've enrolled few weeks after the wild fires in 1998 and left in 1999.I miss those days in Daytona Smile
follow me on my facebook page" captain wing's journey log"

ScooterTrash

Sat Sep 04, 2004 11:43 pm

Wing were you one of the THY guys that did the training at Riddle? I wasn't involved in that program, but I know plenty of folks who were. Those fires in '98 sucked... Great instrument training though.

Scooter

JAXpax

Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:15 am

They are paying the instructors 8 hours of pay per day, plus food and housing. The school is obviously also paying for all fuel. They are expected back by Tuesday, but can come back when the leader feels it is safe to fly.

Wow.... at Delta Connection Academy all the instructors get is the ability to turn in receipts for food and get reimbursed... and the privilege of sharing rooms at the Ramada in Albany, GA with other instructors.

anair80

Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:48 am

Any update on DAB's Airport/ERAU and the storm damage??? (If any?) Just curious...
Good luck to all those who will come back to school/work when things are OK.

Anair80

corey07850
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:46 am

No significant damage, but power was still out at the campus as of earlier today (probably still out). Campus is still closed until Wednesday, and possibly later. No word on when classes will start, but I was told at the earliest Friday.

I don't have any information on the airport itself, but I assume there was some pretty good damage there. Even a tornado reported 8 mi. SW of DAB by an off duty ATC.

bennett123

Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:01 am

Corey07850

I understood that some aircraft were not able to be evacuated from DAB.

Are you able to confirm their status.

I assume that no aircraft were left at Erau.

corey07850
Topic Author

Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:16 am

Bennett,

I still haven't gone back to the Daytona area, but I know there were a few Convairs and a 727 that are left in the mini boneyard by the control tower. It seems that during every storm the 727 ends up on its back end, but I can't say this has happened since Im not there  Smile

As for GA aircraft, there are a couple FBO's on the field that I'm sure had a few aircraft left. During Hurricane Charley a C-150 was flipped over and damaged a Citation if i remember right. There are a few non-ERAU residents in Daytona that can probably give better info (HaveBlue)

bennett123

Tue Sep 07, 2004 8:23 am

Corey07850

I did hear that there was an Amerijet B727, although I do not have a reg.

I did not know about the Convairs or the GA aircraft.

Have Blue

Do you have any info about this please.

anair80

Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:34 am

Bennett,

The Amerijet is http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=177910

now located in the mini boneyard behind the tower, as Corey07850 said.
If you do a photo search on DAB in both A.net/Jetphotos, you'll see them.

Anair80

flyingbronco05

Thu Sep 09, 2004 2:46 am

Fleet consists of about 50 C-172R/S, 6 Piper Arrows, 8 Piper Seminoles, a Super Decathalon, a bunch of Diamond DA-20 Katanas, I think 2 C-150's and maybe a few other things....

WMU has more planes  Smile

I hope all the planes have a safe journey to their temporary airport.
Never Trust Your Fuel Gauge

bennett123

Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:40 am

Anair 80

Thanks for that.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos