Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

RE: Delta Announcement Now Playing; Listen Here Free!

Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:44 am

ETOPS isn't associated with the specific aircraft. That is to say that if DL bought 757s that are ETOPS certified at X airline the ETOPS certification wouldn't transfer. ETOPS certification is specific to an airline/aircraft type. ETOPS is an aircraft maintenance program, not an aircraft option.

True, but I'm sure you're also aware that aircraft require certain "components" (if you will) in order to facilitate ETOPS and/or overwater operations: hardware which often times is easier to purchase than retrofit.....

I'd say this is likely what the earlier poster was attempting to convey
Faire du ciel le plus bel endroit de la terre c'est impossible sans Concorde!

skibum9

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:04 am

To NonRevKing,

All you have offered is one line comebacks to me and a few other people on this thread. You have yet to provide a true debate with anyone. Here are some examples:

"But what do I know, right RichieRich?...Acvitale? Guys, are you there?"

"Wow, how was Grinstein chosen over you?"

"Yes, you're right Skibum...you too RJnut, Delta has no clue what it's doing...lol...Carry on with your posts, they are very entertaining."

"Or you're living in the wrong decade?"

Should I go on? All we see is sarcasm of others opinions and have yet to see ONE FACT from you!

You finally end up saying "Take a look at your respect rating, then mine. There's a reason for it, chief!" So if you are so respected then you should be an expert, able to provide some healthy debate. So chief....Let's see this expertise!

Tailwinds!!!

N160LH

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:13 am

GroundStop-

You have absolutely no facts to back up any of your statements...."99% of ASA..." Whatever you have no idea what your writing. I am glad that you know where DL does their de-icing, it would be called ramp 6 if you had a clue. Plus Turbo their are not to many airports in the US the are not affected by weather at least once year. Also do not ever think I am on the same page as you... if you would have take the time to read my profile you would have found out that I am a pilot. That being said, do not ever make the mistake of under estimating the effect that ice can have on a plane. I will never fault a pilot that wants his aircraft de-iced, even an over paid DL pilot... its called safety.

[Edited 2004-09-09 01:17:00]
"I do alright up in the air, its down on the ground that I tend to mess up..."

OPNLguy

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:15 am

How long is this 3-way whizzing contest going to last?
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:17 am

You're a little late to the dance Skibum. Go back to previous posts and do a little research.

Or better yet, once you've had some experience as a CEO of a major airline, I'll take some of your thoughts seriously. In the mean time, I think GG and the group know what they're doing.

B

S12PPL

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:19 am

This thread has quickly, over the course of a day, decayed into a childish display of idiotic comments and come-backs. It's really sad.... It's a shame NonRevKing and others hi-jacked this thread so poorly....
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

skibum9

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:29 am

Alright NonRevKing, I will accept the fact that you believe that no one is entitled to an opinion. And I will accept the fact that since you hold such high opinion of GG because he is a CEO, that you must also think Mullin and Allen did a great job with Delta. Heck you must of been or are a CEO yourself. That is pretty amazing for someone under 35. I'm impressed....I just added you to my list of respected users!

By the way...how successful was GG at turning around Western? It might just foreshadowing Delta's future...unfortunately.
Tailwinds!!!

GroundStop

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:32 am

Fair enough, not 99%....vast majority. And I am fully aware what Ramp 6 is. In fact, I worked in the tower that overlooks Ramps 3 and 4. As far as your profile, I did read it. It says you are a student at Embry-Riddle and your hobby is flying. Well, my hobby is also flying and last time I checked, ERAU offered degrees in various subjects.

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:33 am

Wait, after the armchair CEO's run amuck, I'm the one getting called out?...lol

Priceless!

Anyway, I'm done. There's no sense arguing with the ignorant. Go ahead an have your last word since it's all you live for.

B

[Edited 2004-09-09 01:37:26]

S12PPL

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:36 am

Yes. As I see it, you started this whole mess. So, yes. you get called out.
Next Flights: 12/31 AS804 PDX-MCO 2/3 AS19 MCO-SEA QX2545 SEA-PDX

usairways85

Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:58 am

Anyone know if Delta(Song) will ever serve PHL-florida? It seems like PHL is one of the few cities that doesnt see service from Florida by Delta/Delta Connection. And as of late PHL has been very popular with florida service by US Airways, Southwest, and Airtran.

dl757md

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:00 am

True, but I'm sure you're also aware that aircraft require certain "components" (if you will) in order to facilitate ETOPS and/or overwater operations: hardware which often times is easier to purchase than retrofit.....

I'm not aware of any major component changes or additions that DL 757s would require. The few that I am aware of could be modified in our shops for minimal cost.
Perhaps you could enlighten with specific upgrades required that support the idea that it would be cheaper for DL to acquire aircraft that are already ETOPS for another airline rather than certifying their own.

BTW I am an ETOPS certified AMT on DLs 767-300ER and 767-400ER.

Dl757md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

NW7E7

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:02 am

When will the new additions for ATL and CVG show up?

Is the night of January 31st the date that DL will make all of these changes?

AirframeAS

RE: Delta Announcement Now Playing; Listen Here Fr

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:48 am

Does anyone know EXACTLY which work groups are facing job cuts? Hopefully some corporate HQ positions would be cut.....No matter what happens, de-hubbing of DFW, aircraft phase outs and job cuts probably won't help much....I still think bankruptcy is in DL's future. The pilots are not gonna give in to the company....period. I just think that DL thinks this is a 'winner' when it is not. DL isn't out of the woods yet and it will be awhile......
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

theflcowboy

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:51 am

Has DL figured out that it may be ATL that is causing people to not want to fly them therefore decreasing profits?

I had to fly thru there 2 weeks ago on a flight from MEM to MCO. It took me 9 hours to get to MCO because of the crap in ATL. From now on, I refuse to fly DL if I have to go thru ATL. I have yet to fly thru there without some kind of delay.
A318, A320, A332, A333, B1900, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B737, B738, B772, CR1, CR2, CR7, CR9, MD80, MD81, MD82, MD8

flyCMH

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:45 am

How many flights does DL have out of CMH?

BDL-CMH seems odd to me. Does anyone know if these flights will be mainline DL or connection flights?

Currently, Delta and Delta connection operate 35 flights out of CMH, many of which were former America West routes after the airline closed its hub at the airport. After the additions announced today, DL will operate 40 flights a day from CMH. America West operated CMH-BDL back in the day, 4 times daily with ERJ-145s. As mentioned in another post, these flights filled up consistantly, and not with just connecting passengers. The return of CMH-BDL has been a long time coming; I'm glad Delta is taking the initiative and starting the service. Also, they'll definitely be Delta Connection flights, most likely operated by Chautauqua (ironically the same airline that flew the route back when HP had their hub in CMH).

sspontak

Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:55 am

Theflcowboy: It is not just Delta that has hub delays. You will be back to Delta.

theflcowboy

Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:27 pm

sspontak-

I fly NW into MEM (a hub) routinely (about twice a week for the last 3 months) and have only been delayed twice.

Ill bite and say that a lot of it probably isnt DL's fault at ATL. However when you schedule so many planes for departure in the same time frame, it starts to build. I personally have had enough and until NW gives me a reason to not fly them, they get my business.

MD
A318, A320, A332, A333, B1900, B722, B732, B733, B734, B735, B737, B738, B772, CR1, CR2, CR7, CR9, MD80, MD81, MD82, MD8

sspontak

Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:40 pm

Delta finally dehubbing DFW. It is about time. Fly Delta's big jets from ATL, CVG, SLC, JFK, BOS, Florida, USA, Canada, Europe, Latin America, Song, Delta Shuttle, Delta Connection, and the rest of the world with SkyTeam. Just try to stop them. Go Delta!

AUAE

Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:56 pm

I'm not aware of any major component changes or additions that DL 757s would require. The few that I am aware of could be modified in our shops for minimal cost.
Perhaps you could enlighten with specific upgrades required that support the idea that it would be cheaper for DL to acquire aircraft that are already ETOPS for another airline rather than certifying their own.

BTW I am an ETOPS certified AMT on DLs 767-300ER and 767-400ER.
- DL757md

Only the ex-ATA aircraft have HF. So that is one for starters. They are also increased weight versions, meaning they can hold more fuel or cargo or both. As far as HF, that mod probably wouldn't be too bad, expensive, but not too bad. As far as modifying an aircraft to bring up the landing weight, that would be very expensive. Although the increased gross weight is not needed for ETOPS, it is something that would be desirable in an ETOPS certified airplane. As far as certify the DL fleet versus buying ones that are already certified, one reason it would be more cost effective to buy/lease ones already certified is that it is very expensive to bring an ETOPS ready fleet up to the operational reliability that needs to be demonstrated to the FAA. If DL had to spend 6 months flying a modified fleet stateside before it could go ETOPS, that is an opportunity cost. Not saying this is always the case, but if DL could get an attractive lease, I would say they should pony up and go for it. You have to agree with me that only having ETOPS on 2 fleets is limiting to the network.

Shawn
Air transport is just a glorified bus operation. -Michael O'Leary, Ryanair's chief executive

bucky707

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:12 pm

"ETOPS isn't associated with the specific aircraft. That is to say that if DL bought 757s that are ETOPS certified at X airline the ETOPS certification wouldn't transfer. ETOPS certification is specific to an airline/aircraft type. ETOPS is an aircraft maintenance program, not an aircraft option"

only partially correct. The are aircraft requirements for equipment in addition to maintenance requirements. Deltas 757s, as they are currently equipped, cannot be flown at ETOPS aircraft. (except for the four we got from ATA)

[Edited 2004-09-09 15:16:52]

bucky707

Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:18 pm

"Only the ex-ATA aircraft have HF. So that is one for starters"

Putting in an HF radio would be relatively easy. The big difference on the ATA aircraft (which we have deactivated) is the HDG.

MAH4546

Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:26 am

Anyone know if Delta(Song) will ever serve PHL-florida? It seems like PHL is one of the few cities that doesnt see service from Florida by Delta/Delta Connection. And as of late PHL has been very popular with florida service by US Airways, Southwest, and Airtran.

You answered your own question.
a.

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:53 am

It's good to see the return of MSY-SLC

...doesn't appear to be in the cards at this point, cannot find it on any source.

even if it is at the expense of MSY-DFW

No big loss, still have two other carriers flying nonstop to Dallas.

ord

Fri Sep 10, 2004 4:11 am

"(MSY-SLC)...doesn't appear to be in the cards at this point, cannot find it on any source."

One of the posters who works for Delta in SLC said they were told new mainline cities from SLC will include:

Cabo San Lucas - 1 flight
Ft. Lauderdale - 2
Hayden - 1
Maui - 1
New Orleans - 2
Tampa - 2

Since SLC is getting 21 new mainline flights, there may be more new cities when the schedule is released (or they may be added flights to existing cities).

jr

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:29 am

I think this has been a dozen years in the making with the focus shifting to ATL at the expense of DFW right about the time when Eastern folded. DL's existence here at DFW has been more or less meaningless and confused for the last several years. With pretty much wanting to downsize, but not wanting to leave ... then came the RJ's. I don't see this as a solution for DL's problems by any means. They still have a ton of work left to do to save theirselves from bankruptcy... and that might be an understatement.

-Josh
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

usairways85

Fri Sep 10, 2004 6:50 am

MAH4546:
Yea after realizing how many carriers already dominate the PHL-Florida market i guess it doesnt make sense for Song to try to jump in. Just surprised they didn't take advantage of the opportunity when it was just US Airways and some Airtran flts. Delta Express never even served PHL, yet they served MDT

DeltaMIA

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:00 am

Delta Express never even served PHL

Yes they did. The winter of 1997 DL Express had 7 daily flights between MCO and PHL. PHL service was started when DL Express discontinued the CLE-MCO market. Some of the DLX markets didn't last very long.

yet they served MDT

Never served MDT. Instead they served ABE.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

usairways85

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:14 am

Well then DLX service to PHL must not have lasted very long because in my 1998 Delta schedule when DLX was still rather small PHL was not a DLX destination. Sorry i meant ABE not MDT

DeltaMIA

Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:28 am

Well then DLX service to PHL must not have lasted very long

It lasted from Dec96 to Sep97. When DLX discontinued PHL they utilized those aircraft to operate MCO-RDU, MCO-ISP, FLL-ISP.
It's a big building with patients, but that's not important right now.

keesje

Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:43 pm

the 777 is going no where

hmm.. I thought they were trying to sell them, to Aeromexico lately

Probably :

"forget asia, NWA does it better anyway & we need short term cash now.."

no room for glory days here, just surviving ...

"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

ConcordeBoy
Topic Author

Sat Sep 11, 2004 4:01 am

I thought they were trying to sell them, to Aeromexico lately

...they weren't trying to sell what they already have, but incoming orders... which they've also recerntly decided to keep.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos